Originally Posted by PrimeTime
At a thousand bucks the Samsung PN50C490 will be irresistible.
Eh, I don't know about that.
1. First off, it's not 1080p. Although at least it's a legit 1366 x 768 instead of 1024 x 768
2. It's Samsung, so the chances of getting a "buzzer" are definitely there.
3. It's a 2010 model plasma, so the chances of "dimming whites" are very real.
4. Is the AR (anti-reflection) filter up to par?
5. The 3D supposedly is pretty lame. Engadget HD saw this TV first hand at a recent Samsung event, and they said that the drop in resolution from 1080p to 768p is "very" noticeable.
6. It's a 2010 model Samsung 3DTV, which = ghosting/crosstalk
I'm very interested in this display as well, because let's face it.... money talks, BS walks. Under 1 grand for 3D is pretty cool. It's a decent stop-gap option from a 3D standpoint. Get a taste of 3D during 2010 and 2011, and early 2012. By mid to late 2012, check out the newer 3D models and maybe make an upgrade. That's my take on it.
Of course, if you end up with a TV that buzzes, or has horrible crosstalk, or the drop in resolution is super noticeable, then that kinda changes the value proposition.