Zenith z42pj240 calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-17-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i just purchased a Zenith z42pj240. Has anyone calibrated their Zenith z42pj240? What picture settings are you guys using? Does the Zenith z42pj240 have a hidden service menu? Is there a website where one might be able to download an upgraded firmware for the tv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

how much did you pay for it?
post #3 of 8 Old 08-18-2010, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

i paid $489 and some change. Anyone calibrate this tv?
post #4 of 8 Old 08-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I have the 50" PJ240. I'm not sure how helpful calibration settings would be to you. These TVs have some pretty screwy issues with color temp, and the ideal settings probably vary from one TV to another. Color temp is also affected by the contrast setting on these. My color (saturation) and brightness settings are different for each input. Color temp is a bit difficult to adjust (and impossible to perfect).

FWIW, motogp, I paid ~$556 for the 50", including tax. These are a bargain for the price, but they do have some issues.

I can post my 50PJ240 settings if someone wants me to, but I really doubt they would be helpful.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

wow! i bought the lg pj350, basically your tv's step up model, for $489.00 shipping included. you got screwed over!
post #6 of 8 Old 08-18-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mechanical Man how did calibrate your tv? Did you use a calibration dvd or professional calibration equipment? Post your settings to compare mine with yours when I calibrate my tv.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp View Post

wow! i bought the lg pj350, basically your tv's step up model, for $489.00 shipping included. you got screwed over!

FWIW, there are not any significant differences between the PJ240 and PJ350. The PJ240 lacks Picture Wizard, SimpLink, and MP3/image support over USB -- all essentially useless features. If you both paid the same amount, then you got a slightly better deal, I suppose. But I wouldn't say that he got "screwed," because the PJ240 is nearly identical to the PJ350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettym View Post

Mechanical Man how did calibrate your tv? Did you use a calibration dvd or professional calibration equipment? Post your settings to compare mine with yours when I calibrate my tv.

I have not used (and do not own) any calibration equipment. Honestly, I'm not sure that it would be very useful with these 2010 LG plasmas -- the color issues with these TVs make it, in an odd way, rather easy to adjust color temp (and also impossible to make it perfect). These TVs have pretty serious issues with color banding/gradation/shift. I haven't experimented with the 2-point color temp adjustment, but at least with the 20-point, it is... complicated in a sense, but also pretty plain. To calibrate mine, I've used "full" IRE patterns (5 - 100 IRE), other basic gray scale patterns like this and this, and some other methods that aren't easy to explain -- images/patterns that make gradation issues apparent. I think those basic test images/videos can be downloaded for free here at AVS, but I don't have a direct link handy. I've resigned myself to the fact that these TVs have inherent color issues that can't be overcome, and that they will never look good with some of the test patterns that I've been using. Your goal should just be to get the image looking as accurate as possible during "real world" viewing -- and these TVs are capable of looking pretty good in most situations, although certain color issues do persist.

I can probably post my settings later, and maybe some images that demonstrate the color problems with these TVs, but that won't be happening tonight.

BTW, I still maintain (as I've said here previously) that the PJ350 images at a certain review site (the URL is banned here) are completely bogus. The color issues are notable, but nowhere near as dramatic as that.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-19-2010, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, MechanicalMan. You really seem to know your stuff.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays