Plasma for Gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 08-19-2010, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Folks,

This is the age old question of what is a great plasma for primarily gaming via Xbox 360 1080p games.

I have read these forums over and over again, and just when I believe I have found the perfect TV model, someone contradicts it. My direction right now is between Panasonic P50xxx and LG's PK550.

I am looking for a 50" 1080p plasma that will be able to handle Xbox 360 games that have HUDs, such as COD4+5 RockBand, etc. I would like to spend less than $1800, however if there is no such thing let me know.
-Gaming Lag seems inconsistent with each model..can't get a clear idea of what the lag would be.

I am seeking info from you AVSForum users of your experiences, with this I will try to statistically speaking weight the praises and complaints to pick.

Are there any plasmas to absolutely stay away from for gaming? Are there any plasma brands that specialize in gaming?

I did visit BestBuy to try to get more information, and the rep there was bent on selling me Panasonic. "they are the best". He assured me that he never has had an issue with burn-in or IR while playing games for hours on end.

Anyway, hopefully this will be an actively participating thread....thx to all in advance.

P.S. this does not have to be 3D, and I would like to hook my HDMI out CPU to play starcraft 2 on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-19-2010, 11:21 PM

for gaming best is Panasonic, smallest IR problems (LG worst here) and small input lag (Samsung and LG have quite big compared to Panasonic, somewhere here you can find a thread with measured values)
if you will use your tv properly then IR won't be a problem on any tv
post #3 of 23 Old 08-20-2010, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've compiled a lot of PDP lag measurements here.

You will get temporary IR on any current plasma in production, guaranteed. Whether you will notice or care varies by the individual and your viewing habits.
post #4 of 23 Old 08-20-2010, 06:01 PM

Is it necessary to use Game Mode with all games. I hear the response time is faster when enabled but you lose some picture quality, is the is correct?

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Pablo
post #5 of 23 Old 08-20-2010, 06:39 PM

I'm an avid gamer who currently uses a Panasonic VT25 as my gaming set, and it's the best set I've ever used for gaming.

I use "Custom" mode, not "Game" mode when gaming, and haven't noticed any problems with response time.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-20-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPlusTwo View Post

I'm an avid gamer who currently uses a Panasonic VT25 as my gaming set, and it's the best set I've ever used for gaming.

I used "Custom" mode, not "Game" mode when gaming, and haven't noticed any problems with response time.

Thanks for your input! So you use custom because you get a better picture and don't notice a difference between game mode as far as refresh/latency?
post #7 of 23 Old 08-20-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el pablo View Post

Thanks for your input! So you use custom because you get a better picture and don't notice a difference between game mode as far as refresh/latency?

Exactly! I customized the picture in "Custom" mode just how I like it for gaming. The VT25 has a fast pixel response rate (it has to since it is also a 3DTV), and I've yet to have any response/lag problems. I would probably notice them, because I play a lot of Super Street Fighter 4, in which input lag would be a noticeable and serious issue.

Plus I'll have the option to play the upcoming 3D PS3 games as well.

I've gamed on many TVs (several LCDs, a G10, and the current VT25), and the VT25 is by far the best I've used for gaming.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-20-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPlusTwo View Post

Exactly! I customized the picture in "Custom" mode just how I like it for gaming. The VT25 has a fast pixel response rate (it has to since it is also a 3DTV), and I've yet to have any response/lag problems. I would probably notice them, because I play a lot of Super Street Fighter 4, in which input lag would be a noticeable and serious issue.

Plus I'll have the option to play the upcoming 3D PS3 games as well.

I've gamed on many TVs (several LCDs, a G10, and the current VT25), and the VT25 is by far the best I've used for gaming.

Thanks again for your input! I'm a causal gamer and am hoping that a Samsung C8000 will be sufficient.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I know that burn in is not really a problem any more, and IR is a minimum these days, but let's say you play Modern Warfare 2 all the time, for a couple of hours a day. This puts you in a situation where the SAME HUD is in the SAME PLACE (whether it's bright or not) ALL the time.

Is this going to be a problem in regards to stuborn IR? I've read constantly that people play games all the time and have no problems, and that's great. But when you play the same game with the same static areas on the screen, are you "teaching" the screen and bad behavior? (Sorry for the analogies!)
post #10 of 23 Old 08-21-2010, 08:57 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post

Is this going to be a problem in regards to stuborn IR? I've read constantly that people play games all the time and have no problems, and that's great. But when you play the same game with the same static areas on the screen, are you "teaching" the screen and bad behavior? (Sorry for the analogies!)

Every plasma has problems with IR and burn in. This is why you won't find plasma technology in computer monitors. If you are planning on playing games often enough, find LCD with lowest response time. LCD is also usually brighter and easier to use at day light.
post #11 of 23 Old 08-21-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'm gaming on a Panasonic 50" S1 1080p set, and its been great. I have played hours upon hours of games.

The set has a game mode which is supposed to imrpove response time, and improve dark area detail.

I setup an S2 for my brother in law last week and the performance was very similar.

For around 1k or so, you can grab the 50" S2. This is probablly your best bet.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

I'm gaming on a Panasonic 50" S1 1080p set, and its been great. I have played hours upon hours of games.

The set has a game mode which is supposed to imrpove response time, and improve dark area detail.

I setup an S2 for my brother in law last week and the performance was very similar.

For around 1k or so, you can grab the 50" S2. This is probablly your best bet.

Right, but do you play the same game very often, and does it have static graphics anywhere on the screen? If so, how bad (if any) is the IR?

I'm well aware of LCD and gaming, as I have an epson 6500ub projector, and a sony 60ex500. The sony has wierd motion issues (not even talking about SOE or judder)...it seems to have to do with the panel itself (Sharp). Maybe the response time is 8ms, and causes a slightly "slurry" picture, regardless of motion processing-on or off. I really want something 60" or greater
post #13 of 23 Old 08-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I know that burn in is not really a problem any more, and IR is a minimum these days, but let's say you play Modern Warfare 2 all the time, for a couple of hours a day. This puts you in a situation where the SAME HUD is in the SAME PLACE (whether it's bright or not) ALL the time.

You'lll more than likely get IR in such a scenario, and how long you play the same game will determine how long it sticks around. My VT25 is awesome when it comes to no input lag and PQ when gaming but I do have to be aware of IR because it does occur.
post #14 of 23 Old 08-21-2010, 11:21 AM

Do PDPs or LCDs have lower input lag?
post #15 of 23 Old 08-21-2010, 11:56 AM

Liked: 11
lol this is a funny comparison, an LCD laptop with a plasma. You can't really get an input lag from this:

post #16 of 23 Old 08-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoold View Post

lol this is a funny comparison, an LCD laptop with a plasma. You can't really get an input lag from this:

Laptop LCD usually have between 10ms to 15ms if input lag so this would make this VT20/25 at about 30ms which looks on par with the G25.
post #17 of 23 Old 08-21-2010, 12:09 PM

Thanks guys! I looked at that thread and thought that the TV was just mirroring the laptop. Doh!
post #18 of 23 Old 08-21-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

Laptop LCD usually have between 10ms to 15ms if input lag so this would make this VT20/25 at about 30ms which looks on par with the G25.

That's just part of the problem. The VGA output may have some lag too, so it's pretty much impossible to estimate the input lag; this isn't even considering other inputs may have more lag than VGA.
post #19 of 23 Old 08-22-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Right, but do you play the same game very often, and does it have static graphics anywhere on the screen? If so, how bad (if any) is the IR?

I'm well aware of LCD and gaming, as I have an epson 6500ub projector, and a sony 60ex500. The sony has wierd motion issues (not even talking about SOE or judder)...it seems to have to do with the panel itself (Sharp). Maybe the response time is 8ms, and causes a slightly "slurry" picture, regardless of motion processing-on or off. I really want something 60" or greater

Ive logged 110 hours on a specific RPG that has a full color (no transparency) round map in the corner of the screen. I cannot find any sign of it. My older Panasonic set was also for gaming, and that was a tad worse, it showed temporary IR now and then, but I never got burn in on that. The newer sets like my S1 however are really good. Gaming is not a problem.

There are things I do prefer about LCDs with gaming however, like there light output.
post #20 of 23 Old 08-22-2010, 02:57 PM

A couple nights ago i played infamous for about 5 hours straight. It has a static HUD and very few loading screens. I also played in a pitch black room and noticed zero IR afterwards. I have an '08 Panny.

However, anytime I watch Netflix on my PS3 if I leave the menu on for more then five minutes the bright red bar at the top has very noticeable IR even during the middle of the day with sunlight. By the first commercial break of the show it's gone though.

Bottom line its there, but it goes away quickly. And even an IR image on a black screen isn't as bad as other TVs poor backlight bleeding. (seeing words IR is kinda distracting though).

Don't worry about your TV. It'll be fine.

Also last weekend my friend burnt an image he into his LCD monitor because he didn't turn on the screensaver for his computer and left the desktop screen on.
post #21 of 23 Old 08-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark05 View Post

Also last weekend my friend burnt an image he into his LCD monitor because he didn't turn on the screensaver for his computer and left the desktop screen on.

I've seen more LCD monitors with burn-in in office environments than you can shake a stick at. Older LCD's, newer LCD's, IPS and TN.

Granted an office environment where monitors are left on overnight, every night, with no screen saver are an extreme for any display.
post #22 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

So I decided to go with the Panasonic P50G20...picked it up at bestbuy the other night. So far no IR or any complaints about image quality. It is very sharp, I was comparing it to an LG LED they had setup that was in a similar price range, but decided to go with the Plasma.

I have my Xbox HDMI hooked into the HDMI input 3 which is designated as gaming input. Not sure if it increase response time. The only input i haven't tried is my PC and starcraft 2.

@TwoPlusTwo
I will try to play Super Street Fighter tonight to see if I notice any lag..I have played COD5 COD:WAW and Deadspace(very dark image game) with great results.

I'll report back with any findings.

Thank you all for you honest inputs!
post #23 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 11:32 AM

That's a great TV, enjoy!

Also, make sure you calibrate the screen if you haven't already, search for settings on here or try buying AVIA or DVE calibration disks.

My friend is a heavy Street Fighter player so I'm very curious what your findings are.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page