reversing plasma burn in - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 122 Old 01-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Member
 
83trekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

I'm at a loss here...

I'm about to buy some 65" TV this year. However with posts like this who wants to jump through hoops or worry about ruining their TV just watching TV or playing games?

Lets be real here...

If you watch TLC, HIST, Discovery... (or any of the other affiliated channels) your screwed. They all have obnoxious BRIGHT logos and even sometimes they add additional graphics above the logo. And these logos stay there the ENTIRE time the programming is on; only to disappear just before the commercials. I know I love to geek out and watch some of those channels back to back for hours at a time.

Unless all of the channels change their ways were hosed.

I'm a video nut so the quality of the image the plasma can display is really what I want. But I don't see how anyone can really enjoy their set if they have to run break-in slides (after they did the inital break-in), or display static on their TV after they use it. Or what if you wanted to geek out and watch all of the LOTR movies back to back which are all 2.35:1. You going to zoom those?

I've sent countless e-mails to DISC asking them to change the logos on all of their channels but they just ignore me.

I have a 42" Panasonic plasma up in my office (probably the cheapest one they sell TC42x24), it only has about 300-400 hours on it. I have seen image retention, but nothing permanent.

However this year I'm going to replace my 1080i 9" CRT driven 65" rear projector (which still has a killer picture I should add). It's been professionally calibrated and I've kept it up since. But it's almost 8 years old, and I can see from my colorimeter it's losing brightness slowly. And after 8 years, I can see that I watched a bunch of 2.35:1 material on it, as I can see the uneven wear. No matter what you do this will happen on your plasma as well. No matter how careful you care. If your not using the pixels they won't wear out... (i.e. black bars and 2.35:1) so those areas of the screen will start to show uneven wear after time.

Anyway... I'm not here to steer anyone. But isn't it hard to make a decision on a plasma when you know for sure you have to baby sit it? I suppose if you only watch 1.85:1 and never play games, and never watch any TV channels with crappy logos you're OK... The more I'm thinking about it the more uncomfortable it feels.

I myself wouldn't have played games on a plasma TV with less than 300-500 hours on it. I really believe the 1st 200-500 hours are critical.

So am I off base here? I mean I don't intend on buying a new TV every year or two like some of the folks on here do.

I totally agree wth you 100%, seems like to much work to own a tv, ll stick with my LCD and lesser blacks as it really doesnt affect me or my family while watching it. We still think it has a amazing picture. And i am not trying to bash anybody owning a plasma over my statement here at all. Just doesnt see worth it, especially when my kid loves his ps3 games, and every channel we have here has that stupid logo at the bottom.
83trekker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 122 Old 03-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Newbie
 
crimsontime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wanted to respond to this since I have burn in on my vt25 from playing Fallout 3. It's not "impossible" or any such thing. If you know gamers its normal to play a game for hours. I waited 100 hours before gaming, and I read posts from people who said it doesn't happen any more on new sets so I was complacent. It does happen people. Now I'm trying to find out if anyone who's had it was able to reverse it.
crimsontime is offline  
post #33 of 122 Old 03-17-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dlplover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With my kuro, I did breakin with slides for 150 hours. After that, I have it set into power save 2 (which limits the light output the most), as well as having orbiter on the most aggressive setting. A lot of people poo poo such measures, but if you're spending a lot on a set, it's worth it to make sure it doesn't get ruined.

I'm more of a casual gamer, but when I'm in my gaming phase I'll sometimes play for hours. The other thing I do is switch to blank input if I pause the game rather than leaving static images on there. If you have an HTPC hooked up or BR player, you could also switch inputs to planet earth or a slideshow wallpaper in the 5-10second turnover range during pause screens.

People who haven't had issues with BI tend to ignore the possibility of it because they've been lucky so far/in the past. Running in torch mode with no orbiter and not breaking in is a pretty bad idea if you're a gamer.
dlplover is offline  
post #34 of 122 Old 03-17-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dlplover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by metlgawd View Post

hrm, hours before the game.....around 120, longest game play at once around 6 hours, i didn't think burn-ins were an issue, but i was still cautious, never left the game paused, or a dvd menu screen on, even turned the set off if i ran down the road for a min

I waited about 1000+ hours before I got adventurous and started gaming on my kuro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra30 View Post

I have image retention also in the upper right hand corner from fox sports logo from watching football. I ran the break in slides and used dnices settings for break in then did his settings for after the break in. I ran the ir white bars still there. I don't game on the tv just movies and tv watching. So not sure why I have it
Edit. Did the break in slides etc when the tv was new

Fox news is pretty terrible. I remember a guy with a kuro elite had fox burn-in on his as well. No other logos, just that one.

For both of you make sure you turn on power saving options and orbiter. Limiting max light output won't really screw up your PQ unless you demand blinding white whites. And orbiter you're a fool if you don't turn that on - regardless of what all the "just go watch the set without putting on any of the protection settings because we plan on throwing out old set in the trash in a year and a half when we upgrade so you should do the same" crew might say.

I've never had any IR/BI issues with my set. I've recommended several pannys to people and while the black levels are visible risen on them, no IR/BI whatsoever on any of them due to them listening to me and running in power save modes with orbiter on max.
dlplover is offline  
post #35 of 122 Old 03-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Newbie
 
crimsontime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks dlp we'll implement these ideas going forward.

My wife just checked the time on the game. She played for 116 total hours over a month maybe, with that game probably being about 80% of the tv's usage during that time (some other games and movies every couple days but thats it)? Now I'm sure we were an idiot about this, but we certainly know better now and are very remorseful. Also, unfortunately there is a ton of misinformation out there about this issue. A lot of "reputable" sites and blogs have people saying it doesn't happen on newer tvs at all no matter what.

Any ideas if it's even possible to reverse the damage after such a long gaming time? We didn't see it until now because just finished the game and the burn shows only on light backgrounds -but very obvious when the background is light in color.
crimsontime is offline  
post #36 of 122 Old 03-17-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 4,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

I'm at a loss here...

I'm about to buy some 65" TV this year. However with posts like this who wants to jump through hoops or worry about ruining their TV just watching TV or playing games?

Lets be real here...

If you watch TLC, HIST, Discovery... (or any of the other affiliated channels) your screwed. They all have obnoxious BRIGHT logos and even sometimes they add additional graphics above the logo. And these logos stay there the ENTIRE time the programming is on; only to disappear just before the commercials. I know I love to geek out and watch some of those channels back to back for hours at a time.

Unless all of the channels change their ways were hosed.

I'm a video nut so the quality of the image the plasma can display is really what I want. But I don't see how anyone can really enjoy their set if they have to run break-in slides (after they did the inital break-in), or display static on their TV after they use it. Or what if you wanted to geek out and watch all of the LOTR movies back to back which are all 2.35:1. You going to zoom those?

I've sent countless e-mails to DISC asking them to change the logos on all of their channels but they just ignore me.

I have a 42" Panasonic plasma up in my office (probably the cheapest one they sell TC42x24), it only has about 300-400 hours on it. I have seen image retention, but nothing permanent.

However this year I'm going to replace my 1080i 9" CRT driven 65" rear projector (which still has a killer picture I should add). It's been professionally calibrated and I've kept it up since. But it's almost 8 years old, and I can see from my colorimeter it's losing brightness slowly. And after 8 years, I can see that I watched a bunch of 2.35:1 material on it, as I can see the uneven wear. No matter what you do this will happen on your plasma as well. No matter how careful you care. If your not using the pixels they won't wear out... (i.e. black bars and 2.35:1) so those areas of the screen will start to show uneven wear after time.

Anyway... I'm not here to steer anyone. But isn't it hard to make a decision on a plasma when you know for sure you have to baby sit it? I suppose if you only watch 1.85:1 and never play games, and never watch any TV channels with crappy logos you're OK... The more I'm thinking about it the more uncomfortable it feels.

I myself wouldn't have played games on a plasma TV with less than 300-500 hours on it. I really believe the 1st 200-500 hours are critical.

So am I off base here? I mean I don't intend on buying a new TV every year or two like some of the folks on here do.

I watch ESPN alot and the other channels you mention. Just be reasonable with your setting the first 100 hours or so and you will be fine

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
post #37 of 122 Old 03-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Newbie
 
crimsontime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did babysit the TV for over 100 hours (ran slides thru it etc) but now it has burn in or really bad IR from gaming in only a month. If I had known that using my tv in what I consider a normal way could permanently damage it, I would not have bought this tv. And in fact I was told just what you said. Just prep it for 100 hours. Sorry to inform you that it didn't help in my case. I am not an expert and don't feel I should have to be to own a high end tv just to make sure it does not get ruined from and ordinary gamer's use pattern. From what I'm reading about this problme it is starting to sound like you need to be constantly monitoring your tv you are a gamer with a vt25 or even if you just watch programs with a logo well after the "break in" period.
crimsontime is offline  
post #38 of 122 Old 03-17-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 4,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsontime View Post

I did babysit the TV for over 100 hours (ran slides thru it etc) but now it has burn in or really bad IR from gaming in only a month. If I had known that using my tv in what I consider a normal way could permanently damage it, I would not have bought this tv. And in fact I was told just what you said. Just prep it for 100 hours. Sorry to inform you that it didn't help in my case. I am not an expert and don't feel I should have to be to own a high end tv just to make sure it does not get ruined from and ordinary gamer's use pattern. From what I'm reading about this problme it is starting to sound like you need to be constantly monitoring your tv you are a gamer with a vt25 or even if you just watch programs with a logo well after the "break in" period.

Hmm are we talkimg about IR or burnin ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
post #39 of 122 Old 03-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
SiGGy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lenexa, Kansas
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I watch ESPN alot and the other channels you mention. Just be reasonable with your setting the first 100 hours or so and you will be fine


ya, you should be able to get a decent life out of the TV.

however... if you watch enough content with letter boxing (i.e. black bars) you'll eventually end up with uneven wear. It doesn't matter how cautious you are. The only way to avoid this would be to never watch anything with black bars.

I still plan on getting a plasma... things wear out. You replace them. I just hope I get 8 years our of this TV.

-SiGGy
SiGGy is offline  
post #40 of 122 Old 03-17-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 4,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

ya, you should be able to get a decent life out of the TV.

however... if you watch enough content with letter boxing (i.e. black bars) you'll eventually end up with uneven wear. It doesn't matter how cautious you are. The only way to avoid this would be to never watch anything with black bars.

I still plan on getting a plasma... things wear out. You replace them. I just hope I get 8 years our of this TV.

Sorry to disagree but I have a px80u with 2500 plus hours and watch black bars sometimes and I do not see "uneven" wear".

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
post #41 of 122 Old 03-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Midland, MI
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I still don't see any mention of what the brightness and contrast was set to on the plasma that has burn in issues.

Plus, was there any other activity going on between gaming sessions? Or was it hours of nothing but the same game over and over? You need to mix it up when the TV is new.

I'm trying to be very careful for the first few hundred hours on my 50gt25. I've certainly played quite a few hours of Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Soul Calibur IV...but the kids watch Dora on it, I watched S1 of Breaking Bad, the kids and I play Kinect Sports, etc.

"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
GreenMonkey is offline  
post #42 of 122 Old 03-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
SiGGy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lenexa, Kansas
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Sorry to disagree but I have a px80u with 2500 plus hours and watch black bars sometimes and I do not see "uneven" wear".


Disagree? This isn't a debate... These are facts. The only way you could disagree is you don't understand plasma technology and how phosphors age with use. If you don't use parts of the screen they don't wear out... I.E when parts of the screen are black" that section is essentially off and not being worn out (without getting into plasma driving details). Each pixel of your TV is 3 mini light bulbs basically. Those light bulbs that don't get used during the black bars will eventually be brighter than the rest of the screen.

2500 hours is nothing. I'd hit that usage in a bit over 1 year. If you could see uneven wear in 2500hours I would NEVER get a plasma.

My current TV has 20k+ hours on it and I can see uneven wear. But I've also watched a lot of material with black bars. And it's been calibrated since new, and completely maintained. In the early days without all the HD channels athere are now a lot of SD channels had black bars.

If you don't watch a lot of material with black bars, great. The reality is if you do you'll get uneven wear eventually. "Eventually" depends on how much material you view with black bars and how many hours your have on your set. A Panasonic plasma is rated at 100,000 to half-life. This means the panel will be 1/2 as bright as it was when it was new at 100,000 hours. Of course this 100,000hour depends on the max luminance you have set, a calibrated TV should last longer than one that isn't. At 2500 hours you're barely 2.5% of your way there.

-SiGGy
SiGGy is offline  
post #43 of 122 Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dlplover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

Disagree? This isn't a debate... These are facts. The only way you could disagree is you don't understand plasma technology and how phosphors age with use. If you don't use parts of the screen they don't wear out... I.E when parts of the screen are black" that section is essentially off and not being worn out (without getting into plasma driving details). Each pixel of your TV is 3 mini light bulbs basically. Those light bulbs that don't get used during the black bars will eventually be brighter than the rest of the screen.

2500 hours is nothing. I'd hit that usage in a bit over 1 year. If you could see uneven wear in 2500hours I would NEVER get a plasma.

My current TV has 20k+ hours on it and I can see uneven wear. But I've also watched a lot of material with black bars. And it's been calibrated since new, and completely maintained. In the early days without all the HD channels athere are now a lot of SD channels had black bars.

If you don't watch a lot of material with black bars, great. The reality is if you do you'll get uneven wear eventually. "Eventually" depends on how much material you view with black bars and how many hours your have on your set. A Panasonic plasma is rated at 100,000 to half-life. This means the panel will be 1/2 as bright as it was when it was new at 100,000 hours. Of course this 100,000hour depends on the max luminance you have set, a calibrated TV should last longer than one that isn't. At 2500 hours you're barely 2.5% of your way there.

This is one of the reasons why I keep power save 2 on my kuro, although I'm curious how old that set was. I would imagine that newer sets would be better at resisting that, at least for the high end ones.
dlplover is offline  
post #44 of 122 Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Turrican4D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsontime View Post

Just wanted to respond to this since I have burn in on my vt25 from playing Fallout 3. It's not "impossible" or any such thing. If you know gamers its normal to play a game for hours. I waited 100 hours before gaming, and I read posts from people who said it doesn't happen any more on new sets so I was complacent. It does happen people. Now I'm trying to find out if anyone who's had it was able to reverse it.

Make yourself some 1080p-Negatives of this certain game and display them for a bunch of hours.
Turrican4D is offline  
post #45 of 122 Old 03-17-2011, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Although this C-Net article was written in 08, it still provides a good perspective on how to avoid burn in on plasma TV's. http://reviews.cnet.com/plasma-burn-...-need-to-know/

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #46 of 122 Old 03-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Newbie
 
Robin0719's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll tell you, the more I read and the more I consider all the pluses and negatives about plasma, I just don't think I can do it. I am a casual gamer. I don't play all the time, but there are certainly times when I play for a couple of hours. I just feel like it's absurd for me to have to be concerned about something like this when I've paid so much for the TV. And then LCD has it's own problems. Maybe I will just stick with the crappy little 32" 720p set that I do have because for all the 'new and improved' technology it just seems like there are many more problems that come along with it.
Robin0719 is offline  
post #47 of 122 Old 03-18-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin0719 View Post

I'll tell you, the more I read and the more I consider all the pluses and negatives about plasma, I just don't think I can do it. I am a casual gamer. I don't play all the time, but there are certainly times when I play for a couple of hours. I just feel like it's absurd for me to have to be concerned about something like this when I've paid so much for the TV. And then LCD has it's own problems. Maybe I will just stick with the crappy little 32" 720p set that I do have because for all the 'new and improved' technology it just seems like there are many more problems that come along with it.

I think you may be over reacting. As long as you don't ABUSE the set, which also means keeping the brightness and contrast at reasonable levels, you really shouldn't have a problem.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #48 of 122 Old 03-18-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 4,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

Disagree? This isn't a debate... These are facts. The only way you could disagree is you don't understand plasma technology and how phosphors age with use. If you don't use parts of the screen they don't wear out... I.E when parts of the screen are black" that section is essentially off and not being worn out (without getting into plasma driving details). Each pixel of your TV is 3 mini light bulbs basically. Those light bulbs that don't get used during the black bars will eventually be brighter than the rest of the screen.

2500 hours is nothing. I'd hit that usage in a bit over 1 year. If you could see uneven wear in 2500hours I would NEVER get a plasma.

My current TV has 20k+ hours on it and I can see uneven wear. But I've also watched a lot of material with black bars. And it's been calibrated since new, and completely maintained. In the early days without all the HD channels athere are now a lot of SD channels had black bars.

If you don't watch a lot of material with black bars, great. The reality is if you do you'll get uneven wear eventually. "Eventually" depends on how much material you view with black bars and how many hours your have on your set. A Panasonic plasma is rated at 100,000 to half-life. This means the panel will be 1/2 as bright as it was when it was new at 100,000 hours. Of course this 100,000hour depends on the max luminance you have set, a calibrated TV should last longer than one that isn't. At 2500 hours you're barely 2.5% of your way there.

Okay I stand corrected. Appreciate the info

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
post #49 of 122 Old 03-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Member
 
Peter Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangs1 View Post

THis shouldn't be a problem in a 2010 Panasonic high end set. They need to get their act together for next year.

How many times do I have to tell you guys that this remains an issue with phosphorus based display devices? That is why I constantly recommend LCD's for those who are heavy gamers. If it were not an issue, why do virtually all plasma manufacturers warn against it and exclude it from warranty coverage? Again, nobody listens.
Peter Johnson is offline  
post #50 of 122 Old 03-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Member
 
Peter Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin0719 View Post

I'll tell you, the more I read and the more I consider all the pluses and negatives about plasma, I just don't think I can do it. I am a casual gamer. I don't play all the time, but there are certainly times when I play for a couple of hours. I just feel like it's absurd for me to have to be concerned about something like this when I've paid so much for the TV. And then LCD has it's own problems. Maybe I will just stick with the crappy little 32" 720p set that I do have because for all the 'new and improved' technology it just seems like there are many more problems that come along with it.

Don't let the paranoia frighten you away from the superior picture that plasma displays produce. Just limit stationary images during its lifetime, especially during the first few months.
Peter Johnson is offline  
post #51 of 122 Old 03-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Newbie
 
Robin0719's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I think you may be over reacting. As long as you don't ABUSE the set, which also means keeping the brightness and contrast at reasonable levels, you really shouldn't have a problem.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Johnson View Post

Don't let the paranoia frighten you away from the superior picture that plasma displays produce. Just limit stationary images during its lifetime, especially during the first few months.

I don't really feel like watching movies with black bars and playing games for a couple of hours should be considered abuse. I just think it's absurd that when I spend $1000+ I have to worry that I might screw up my TV by simply having it on. And I will worry about it if I get a plasma, no matter what anyone here might say. It's disturbing to me that, the OP played a game that I also play, for only a few hours, and he got IR that has lasted at least a few days. So far he hasn't said if it's completely gone. That's on the #1 rated TV of 2010. I won't be buying anything quite as good as that. I don't know, it just really seems ridiculous.

I actually had a Samsung LED LCD in my house a few weeks ago that I returned due to clouding and flashlighting problems, so I decided to really read up on plasma. I have reached a point where I just can't decide on anything. LCD has blur (or creepy soap opera effect) and usually terrible lag. Plasma has burn in and possible buzzing. I just want a TV that looks nice, doesn't have motion blur, doesn't buzz, and will not retain images. Why is that so much to ask for?
Robin0719 is offline  
post #52 of 122 Old 03-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Member
 
Vicariously's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin0719 View Post

I don't really feel like watching movies with black bars and playing games for a couple of hours should be considered abuse. I just think it's absurd that when I spend $1000+ I have to worry that I might screw up my TV by simply having it on. And I will worry about it if I get a plasma, no matter what anyone here might say. It's disturbing to me that, the OP played a game that I also play, for only a few hours, and he got IR that has lasted at least a few days. So far he hasn't said if it's completely gone. That's on the #1 rated TV of 2010. I won't be buying anything quite as good as that. I don't know, it just really seems ridiculous.

I actually had a Samsung LED LCD in my house a few weeks ago that I returned due to clouding and flashlighting problems, so I decided to really read up on plasma. I have reached a point where I just can't decide on anything. LCD has blur (or creepy soap opera effect) and usually terrible lag. Plasma has burn in and possible buzzing. I just want a TV that looks nice, doesn't have motion blur, doesn't buzz, and will not retain images. Why is that so much to ask for?

It isn't too much to ask for. Those were invented years ago; they're called CRTs.


But, honestly, if you use your tv for mixed content, don't even worry about BI or IR. I can bet my ass the folks who say got burn in are those who play the same game with an ever present HUD on torch mode.
Vicariously is offline  
post #53 of 122 Old 03-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Newbie
 
Robin0719's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So why don't they make 1080p CRT televisions? I'm sure there is some kind of technical reason I don't know about. I was wondering that the other day actually. If they could made a high def CRT I'd be all over that.
Robin0719 is offline  
post #54 of 122 Old 03-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
hotskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
some people had some bad IR on the vts and gts because of the different phosphors used.

I game llike 8 hours a day sometimes on my c8000 and get no IR
hotskins is offline  
post #55 of 122 Old 03-19-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin0719 View Post

So why don't they make 1080p CRT televisions? I'm sure there is some kind of technical reason I don't know about. I was wondering that the other day actually. If they could made a high def CRT I'd be all over that.

Practicality and cost. When I was in the car audio business, many of my stores also specialized in high end home theater products. One of them carried wide screen HD CRT TV's by a German based company called Loewe. Outstanding pq. Black levels were uncanny, but they were very heavy and expensive to boot. They don't make tube sets, nor do they export to the US any more.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #56 of 122 Old 03-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Newbie
 
jec0995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicariously View Post

But, honestly, if you use your tv for mixed content, don't even worry about BI or IR. I can bet my ass the folks who say got burn in are those who play the same game with an ever present HUD on torch mode.

My panny G20 has burn-in of the ESPN logo from only four hours of watching the channel. Been set on THX mode from day one and the burn-in occurred when the tv was 2 months old. Well over 300 hours on the set at the time. I initially thought it was IR. Then I just thought it was really stubborn IR. Now, three weeks later, I'm convinced the image is burned in. I can see it whenever the screen is displaying a uniform lighter color from 10 feet away.

I haven't put ESPN on since the day it happened and it still won't go away (the tv's on an average of 4-5 hours per day too). Love my tv but it's crazy that this can happen on a $1000 tv and it certainly doesn't have to be in torch mode.
jec0995 is offline  
post #57 of 122 Old 03-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Member
 
paulbram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Moorhead, MN
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin0719 View Post

so why don't they make 1080p crt televisions? I'm sure there is some kind of technical reason i don't know about. I was wondering that the other day actually. If they could made a high def crt i'd be all over that.

dlp ftw!
paulbram is offline  
post #58 of 122 Old 03-20-2011, 05:27 AM
Member
 
Vicariously's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jec0995 View Post
My panny G20 has burn-in of the ESPN logo from only four hours of watching the channel. Been set on THX mode from day one and the burn-in occurred when the tv was 2 months old. Well over 300 hours on the set at the time. I initially thought it was IR. Then I just thought it was really stubborn IR. Now, three weeks later, I'm convinced the image is burned in. I can see it whenever the screen is displaying a uniform lighter color from 10 feet away.

I haven't put ESPN on since the day it happened and it still won't go away (the tv's on an average of 4-5 hours per day too). Love my tv but it's crazy that this can happen on a $1000 tv and it certainly doesn't have to be in torch mode.
Well, if that's truly BI, then that sucks, man. My dad's LG is older than your g20, and he uses it mainly to watch soccer games, with that awful score box at the top corner. And no signs of burn in.
Vicariously is offline  
post #59 of 122 Old 03-20-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicariously View Post

Well, if that's truly BI, then that sucks, man. My dad's LG is older than your g20, and he uses it mainly to watch soccer games, with that awful score box at the top corner. And no signs of burn in.

I agree. If you haven't been abusing the set with extensive use or higher then normal picture settings, I would contact Panasonic and file a complaint, especially if the set is still under warranty.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #60 of 122 Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Member
 
ignoreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
dont feel so bad. i have a g20 that never had an issue with any type of image retention. but lately as my hours of usage has gone up (ive had the tv for a year or so id guess, havent really checked) ive just noticed my first case of "IR" if you will that doesnt want to go away after a week of using the tv.

i have a nice fat KUSI news emblem in the left lower corner of the tv. the worst part is, i watch kusi news for maybe 30 mins a morning before work AND ill randomly change the picture from regular to zoom to stretch, to avoid any ir, then the tv gets regular use when i get home, yet it still happened to me.

**** sucks. kind of over plasma right now.
ignoreme is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off