reversing plasma burn in - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 122 Old 08-27-2010, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to start off by saying I love my Panasonic 58vt25. It is by far the best set I've ever owned. Anyway, cutting to the chase. After playing fallout 3 for a couple of hours, I went to the playstation store screen. To my dismay I could still see the hud from the game, and I could've puked. I've played the game on the set several times before, never left it paused, and the hud was not on screen the entire time (going into menus and such). The hud is fading slowly the past couple of days, but I'm afraid there will still be that faint residual image forever. So I had an idea, after searching for a few days, cause I'm sure I'm not the only one, and fallout 3 isn't the only game with static images in it. Couldn't someone make a still image of the hud, only in black lettering set to a white background? Would that help age the other pixels to catch up to the ones effected by the hud image?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 Old 08-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by metlgawd View Post

I'd like to start off by saying I love my Panasonic 58vt25. It is by far the best set I've ever owned. Anyway, cutting to the chase. After playing fallout 3 for a couple of hours, I went to the playstation store screen. To my dismay I could still see the hud from the game, and I could've puked. I've played the game on the set several times before, never left it paused, and the hud was not on screen the entire time (going into menus and such). The hud is fading slowly the past couple of days, but I'm afraid there will still be that faint residual image forever. So I had an idea, after searching for a few days, cause I'm sure I'm not the only one, and fallout 3 isn't the only game with static images in it. Couldn't someone make a still image of the hud, only in black lettering set to a white background? Would that help age the other pixels to catch up to the ones effected by the hud image?

Its not burn in its temporary IR, and it will go away within a few hours to at most a few days
post #3 of 122 Old 08-27-2010, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

it's been two days now, with no game play on it at all, strictly movies and such
but does the black lettering on a white background sound feasible?
post #4 of 122 Old 08-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

it's been two days now, with no game play on it at all, strictly movies and such

Have you tried the white scrolling bar feature in the setup-Anti Image retention menu?
post #5 of 122 Old 08-27-2010, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

yes, as soon as i noticed the ir i immediately ran it, a couple of times actually, seems like watching movies has faded it more, just knowing it's there though aggravates me. I can't even watch a movie, cause i'm looking for it in all the scenes, i'm really starting to fear it is burn-in and not image retention
post #6 of 122 Old 08-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yes, as soon as i noticed the ir i immediately ran it, a couple of times actually, seems like watching movies has faded it more, just knowing it's there though aggravates me. I can't even watch a movie, cause i'm looking for it in all the scenes, i'm really starting to fear it is burn-in and not image retention

What build date is your VT25? Is it pre-April?

Its incredibly hard to get permanent burn in on these displays. Even with the excess voltage increased in the 2009 and pre-April 2010 models, its still near impossible to get permanent burn in. It should dissapear.
post #7 of 122 Old 08-27-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

back of the set says june 2010
post #8 of 122 Old 08-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

back of the set says june 2010

So I'd say lay off fallout for the next few days and it should dissapear. When you play FO again, turn down the contrast a little. IR should be a non issue then
post #9 of 122 Old 08-27-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

i hope it does fade completely, only plasma friendly games after that, the pixel orbiter was set on auto, which i've changed to periodic 1 minute now
post #10 of 122 Old 08-27-2010, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

well dude, thanks for the reassurance, i've really been freaking out the past couple of days, even left work early yesterday to work with it
post #11 of 122 Old 08-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i hope it does fade completely, only plasma friendly games after that, the pixel orbiter was set on auto, which i've changed to periodic 1 minute now

THis shouldn't be a problem in a 2010 Panasonic high end set. They need to get their act together for next year.
post #12 of 122 Old 08-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

well dude, thanks for the reassurance, i've really been freaking out the past couple of days, even left work early yesterday to work with it

Yeah, its definitely just a severe case of temporary image retention. Burn in is EXTREMELY hard to do on Panasonic Plasmas. IR is definitely very common though,. I mean, you really need to abuse the TV for hours on end using vivid mode with 100 contrast.
post #13 of 122 Old 08-28-2010, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

ok, day 3 now and i still see the ir, it hasn't faded much from yesterday, and i've only watched movies on it, i'm dying to play some ps3, cause honestly that's why i upgraded
post #14 of 122 Old 08-28-2010, 06:27 PM

Liked: 13
I use Pixel-Protector DVD. It has a snow screen and it works great for IR.
post #15 of 122 Old 08-28-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

cool man thanks, i'll give it a try
post #16 of 122 Old 08-28-2010, 06:35 PM

Liked: 13
I game a lot a get IR. I run the DVD with the snow screen for 8-10 hrs every now and then and it removes all of it. Make sure you turn the contrast and brightness up to 100%. I use it while I sleep at night so it doesn't take away from my time of using the TV
post #17 of 122 Old 08-28-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangs1 View Post

What build date is your VT25? Is it pre-April?

Its incredibly hard to get permanent burn in on these displays. Even with the excess voltage increased in the 2009 and pre-April 2010 models, its still near impossible to get permanent burn in. It should dissapear.

Is there any way to tell if I have one of the early VT25 models, or a later one?
post #18 of 122 Old 08-28-2010, 09:15 PM

I've been completely paranoid about playing any games or watching movies with bars on them, or even watching news channels.

If I watched several hours of cable news everyday, every day, would it risk permanent burn in?
post #19 of 122 Old 08-28-2010, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I fell asleep the other day while watching a BD on my G20 , movie ended and the menu ended up displayed on the screen for probably around 3+ hours. There was MAJOR IR and I freaked out, ran scrolling bar like six times, still saw it...decided to run an SD movie channel on stretch all night and went to bed. When I woke up, it was gone. haha.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #20 of 122 Old 08-28-2010, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Fallout 3 also has the option of turning down the HUD opacity. I would recommend adjust that to a level where you can still see it, but it won't be so intense. I played Fallout 3 for about 6 hours straight on my LG 50PK550 and no sign of IR at all.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #21 of 122 Old 09-01-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

been about a week now, no gaming at all on the panny, i've ran pixelprotector's snow wash screen for 8 hours or so over the past couple of days, along with full screen dvds, the hud from fallout has faded a little, but still very visible on a white or blue background, i also noticed today when the tv was on with no signal, it looks like the bars from 16:9 were there, dunno if i just have bad luck and got a bad set or what, but definitely the last plasma and panasonic tv i'll ever buy
post #22 of 122 Old 09-01-2010, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

been about a week now, no gaming at all on the panny, i've ran pixelprotector's snow wash screen for 8 hours or so over the past couple of days, along with full screen dvds, the hud from fallout has faded a little, but still very visible on a white or blue background, i also noticed today when the tv was on with no signal, it looks like the bars from 16:9 were there, dunno if i just have bad luck and got a bad set or what, but definitely the last plasma and panasonic tv i'll ever buy

Instead of blaming the TV did it ever occur to you that since you are about the only one that has such a problem -- that it might have been caused by your abuse?

I haven't seen you post what settings you used to cause such bad TIR.

Larry
post #23 of 122 Old 09-01-2010, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

well, dunno if i abused it or not, i've had it on thx mode since i got it, with no adjustments, also had equal gaming/movie time, everyone i've talked to thinks it's absurd for a high end set to do this
post #24 of 122 Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

It is unusual. That's why I said that you seem to be the only one having the problem.

How long did you play the game? Really and truly?

How many hours were on the TV when you first played the game?

Larry
post #25 of 122 Old 09-01-2010, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

hrm, hours before the game.....around 120, longest game play at once around 6 hours, i didn't think burn-ins were an issue, but i was still cautious, never left the game paused, or a dvd menu screen on, even turned the set off if i ran down the road for a min
post #26 of 122 Old 09-01-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

i'm still running the snow screen wash, it's running right now actually, just hoping that it'll go away
post #27 of 122 Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

It will go away faster if you stop obsessing over it.

Watch some regular programming and in a week or so you'll have a hard time finding it.

Larry
post #28 of 122 Old 01-08-2011, 02:38 AM

Quote:

i'm still running the snow screen wash, it's running right now actually, just hoping that it'll go away

How did it go with the snow screen wash mtl?

I have had the same issue with a 58vt25 playing Wii games, 360 Bad Company, as well as Fallout 3. Running the SD 18 screenshot images for now, but am wondering if the Pixel Protector 'Snow Screen' might not be a better option/investment.
post #29 of 122 Old 01-08-2011, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Instead of blaming the TV did it ever occur to you that since you are about the only one that has such a problem -- that it might have been caused by your abuse?

I haven't seen you post what settings you used to cause such bad TIR.

Larry

I have image retention also in the upper right hand corner from fox sports logo from watching football. I ran the break in slides and used dnices settings for break in then did his settings for after the break in. I ran the ir white bars still there. I don't game on the tv just movies and tv watching. So not sure why I have it
Edit. Did the break in slides etc when the tv was new
post #30 of 122 Old 01-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I'm at a loss here...

I'm about to buy some 65" TV this year. However with posts like this who wants to jump through hoops or worry about ruining their TV just watching TV or playing games?

Lets be real here...

If you watch TLC, HIST, Discovery... (or any of the other affiliated channels) your screwed. They all have obnoxious BRIGHT logos and even sometimes they add additional graphics above the logo. And these logos stay there the ENTIRE time the programming is on; only to disappear just before the commercials. I know I love to geek out and watch some of those channels back to back for hours at a time.

Unless all of the channels change their ways were hosed.

I'm a video nut so the quality of the image the plasma can display is really what I want. But I don't see how anyone can really enjoy their set if they have to run break-in slides (after they did the inital break-in), or display static on their TV after they use it. Or what if you wanted to geek out and watch all of the LOTR movies back to back which are all 2.35:1. You going to zoom those?

I've sent countless e-mails to DISC asking them to change the logos on all of their channels but they just ignore me.

I have a 42" Panasonic plasma up in my office (probably the cheapest one they sell TC42x24), it only has about 300-400 hours on it. I have seen image retention, but nothing permanent.

However this year I'm going to replace my 1080i 9" CRT driven 65" rear projector (which still has a killer picture I should add). It's been professionally calibrated and I've kept it up since. But it's almost 8 years old, and I can see from my colorimeter it's losing brightness slowly. And after 8 years, I can see that I watched a bunch of 2.35:1 material on it, as I can see the uneven wear. No matter what you do this will happen on your plasma as well. No matter how careful you care. If your not using the pixels they won't wear out... (i.e. black bars and 2.35:1) so those areas of the screen will start to show uneven wear after time.

Anyway... I'm not here to steer anyone. But isn't it hard to make a decision on a plasma when you know for sure you have to baby sit it? I suppose if you only watch 1.85:1 and never play games, and never watch any TV channels with crappy logos you're OK... The more I'm thinking about it the more uncomfortable it feels.

I myself wouldn't have played games on a plasma TV with less than 300-500 hours on it. I really believe the 1st 200-500 hours are critical.

So am I off base here? I mean I don't intend on buying a new TV every year or two like some of the folks on here do.

-SiGGy
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page