Plasma Whites - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was mere minutes away from making up my mind to purchase a Samsung PN 50C8000, went back to the store for one last look. It was sitting next to a Phillips, not sure which model but I assume not a high end set at all. Anyways the whites on the Phillips made the whites on the Samsung look very craptacular, very dull in comparison. I still may buy the Samsung but not sure now, I watch a lot of hockey so I assume the ice would not look that bright at all. To anyone, how is hockey on these sets, also, is there a way to brighten the whites up at home as compared to the store's settings without messing up the PQ too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by digmor crusher View Post

I was mere minutes away from making up my mind to purchase a Samsung PN 50C8000, went back to the store for one last look. It was sitting next to a Phillips, not sure which model but I assume not a high end set at all. Anyways the whites on the Phillips made the whites on the Samsung look very craptacular, very dull in comparison. I still may buy the Samsung but not sure now, I watch a lot of hockey so I assume the ice would not look that bright at all. To anyone, how is hockey on these sets, also, is there a way to brighten the whites up at home as compared to the store's settings without messing up the PQ too much?

Plasma's do a much more natural white...or warm white, than do LCD's. Was the Philips an LCD or PDP? A lot of it has to do with proper color settings, but generally Plasma's are able to better reproduce color temperature closer to that of D6500K. The result is sometimes a little less bright white's, but the net result is a much more natural looking image. I am a big hockey fan and when I watch it I usually adjust the color temp to 'normal' which makes the image a little cooler or more 'blue' as it is usually referred too. Clearly the Samsung was improperly calibrated, or the Philips beside it was an LCD with the color settings on "Vivid". Plasma's are by far you best choice for any sports, and that includes hockey. Having watched a lot of Hockey on both - there is no question that Plasma's produces a much 'better' overall image in every respect IMHO.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 15
The Phillips was an LCD, probably in torch mode. I know plasmas are better for sports, just couldn't get over the dull, dull whites which would be important for hockey. I guess warm white is a good way to put it.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Plasmas may have their positive attributes, but more "natural" looking whites is not one of them.

When viewed next to almost any LCD in a store, plasma whites invariably look dimmer, duller and dirtier. And that is the main reason LCDs outsell plasmas by a wide margin.

A sunset on a Sony LCD looks like a genuine fireball. On a plasma, it's just a 25-watt light bulb.

It's hard to see how a winter sports fan would prefer the duller plasma whites. Then again, they are "easier" on the eyes -- kinda like skiing with dark sunglasses.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-11-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

Plasmas may have their positive attributes, but more "natural" looking whites is not one of them.

Because in the real world, whites are really white, am i rite?

Plasmas are theater displays, best in a dim room. You'd get eye strain if you watched bright displays in a dim room. Whites in movie theaters aren't bright for the same reason.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In the real world, you will find that the ice looks dull. The LCDs is just trying to have a "super natural" white to catch some attention. It has nothing to do with real life.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-11-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Ice looks "dull"? Really?

Maybe if you're in Ohio during a gray, sunless winter day looking at the piles of ice mixed with mud and salt.

Skiing in California, I can attest, ice and snow are nothing short of brilliant. As is ice in a skating rink lit with multikilowatt kleig lights.

(The term "snowblind" comes to mind...)
post #8 of 9 Old 09-11-2010, 10:47 AM

This topic of whites has probably been discussed ad nauseum.

If you like LCD whites, then buy the LCD. If you like dimmer TVs, then buy a plasma.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-11-2010, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
.. u'all ur 'racist' !!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page