Samsung PN63C8000 vs. LG 60PX950 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-15-2010, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. I'm in the market of getting a new TV. I've always had good luck with Samsung products but had my eye caught by this new LG as well. Was wondering if anyone had any input on which would be the better TV?

Also open to any other suggestions! These were just two that have caught my eye.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 02:11 PM

Hi Andyc83,

I am currently debating on these EXACT two tvs - pn63c8000 and 60px950... did you pick one? I heard that the pn63c8000 has a loud buzzing noise... I heard 60px950 has many problems especially when flipping to different channels (supposedly it takes a while to load). Can you please let me know which one you picked? And give me your review... Thanks..
post #3 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Go with the Samsung. There is only a small chance that you will get a buzzer. Overall, it is the better a set. Comparable with the Panasonic VT25.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 58
There's a huge price difference between the two.

The Samsung has better blacks, but the LG has better color. There is also about a $1,000 price difference between the two. The Samsung is the slightly better set, the LG is the much better value.

If you aren't going for value though, it would be much smarter to wait a month or two for the new Panasonic and Samsung sets, which should be much better than their current ones for about the same price.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-16-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post
There's a huge price difference between the two.

The Samsung has better blacks, but the LG has better color. There is also about a $1,000 price difference between the two. The Samsung is the slightly better set, the LG is the much better value.

If you aren't going for value though, it would be much smarter to wait a month or two for the new Panasonic and Samsung sets, which should be much better than their current ones for about the same price.
Says who?
post #6 of 11 Old 02-16-2011, 08:02 AM

Has pricing info been released on the VT30s or their Samsung counterparts?
post #7 of 11 Old 02-16-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwiley View Post
Says who?
Educated guess and marketing experience. Nothing official.

Unless the tvs blow away the 2010 models in quality or use more expensive materials, pricing them higher than the previous year wouldn't boost sales, in a market where 3D isn't doing a well as companies hoped and companies are looking to boost 3D sales that were lower than expected in 2010.

Pricing them lower than last years would be purely a by-product of lower production costs and increasing competition, which isn't much in Plasma. I wouldn't expect this on flagship models, as both companies know AV nuts like us will pay the premium for a high quality product.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-22-2011, 09:49 AM

I think I'm going to wait for the 60pz950... (not sure when it is coming out)..thank you all for your replies.. I didn't do much research on this but I love the gyroscopic (additional) remote control..

Plus the other one on my list is the PN64D8000... Basically both TVs are the 2011 model of the subject line.

At this point as long as either tv is under $3,500 I am open to one or the other, but hope there is some kind of 3D bundle sale..

Anyone with comments and suggestions regarding the 2 TVs i noted, please post...

I know it is impossible for anyone to have the most updated plasma... but I figure the new models should be coming soon...

Right now I'm waiting for the 60pz950 to be on sale.

Sorry if this post belongs to a new thread (I'm new)...
post #9 of 11 Old 02-24-2011, 08:46 AM

I went through a couple LGPK950s, which is essentially the PX minus 3D. They both had pq issues that made them unacceptable to me - heck even my wife noticed! I now have a C8000 series Samsung and the difference is truly night and day. The price difference was small considering the 3d bundle but even without it I would have gladly paid the difference.

Having owned them both and had them both in my home for a time, I will disagree with the post above touting better color on the LG; it is warmer out of the box but the Samsung is more accurate and required far less tweaking than the LGs did. But color is not an issue with either and it does come down to a question of value. I find the Samsung worth the premium because it's got better dithering (big issue on LGs), better color, and a sharper image. I doubt much of this if any of it will change with the 2011 models.

You probably won't ever use the additional remote...
post #10 of 11 Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 AM

You did not have a problem with the buzzing sound (for c8000) that everyone is currently complaining about?
post #11 of 11 Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerj67 View Post

You did not have a problem with the buzzing sound (for c8000) that everyone is currently complaining about?

No, and I would hardly say everyone is complaining about it. Mine does not buzz. A lot of the posts I've read where people have a buzz they also say they cannot hear it when the TV is at normal volume anyway, so not sure why all the fuss in that case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page