Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2486 Old 01-26-2011, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaded07 View Post

The calibration settings from that article are the first set I tried on my TV and the picture looks terrible. I was surprised, because they list quite a bit of testing equipment, but gas_leaks look much better.

I wouldn't say they look terrible but I do think gas_leaks settings have better pop.

I'm interested to see nutdotnet's final settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2486 Old 01-26-2011, 03:04 PM

Liked: 49
[quote=gas_leak;19897913]Simple... when you go into the menu, highlight Picture Mode and move left or right to cycle through the different settings.

gasleak, i think he meant why do you setup and use two different modes, and how do you know when each is appropriate. at least that is how i read it, and i was actually thinking the same thing.
post #453 of 2486 Old 01-26-2011, 03:19 PM

can anyone give me the quick version of how to check the usage hours? ive been searching without any luck and im trying to see how much longer i need to baby it
post #454 of 2486 Old 01-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Again do not use any settings for the G series. Think about it, how can it be the same panel if it uses different phosphors? Phosphors are inside the panel....

With our display's (as they currently are, I plan on calling panasonic later tonight to see if they have a firmware update coming or any planned fix), if we can get color not to clip but still set light output to an acceptable level, we will have to sacrifice some white clipping. Which is ok, read some threads regarding the VT series (which has the same issue, but they can use ISFccc via ControlCal to eliminate it), and they say just try not to clip any lower than 246.

So my goal is tonight is to see how high I can bring up the contrast in THX without clipping more than 246 in white and no color clipping and see what it does to my gamma. i.e. see if it starts to cause crazy hitches in the mid range (currently my hitch is at 90IRE which is common for these TV's).

And yes once I am done I will post offsets (FYI the red drive offset currently is pretty large, i.e. in the -20's).
post #455 of 2486 Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivag21 View Post

The output from my PS3 seems to be good and also the movies played through USB though they are not as impressive as what I saw for the first time. I don't know why But yes, no grains in these.

I am assuming the problem is with the splitter that I am using to split my Comcast signal. After I started using the splitter, my internet speed has gone down by atleast 5 Mbps and since my TV shares the same bandwidth, I am assuming the splitter is introducing lot of noise into the input. I need to validate it, though. Will do that this weekend.

So was the splitter the culprit? Or you still getting grains?
post #456 of 2486 Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorage View Post

gasleak, i think he meant why do you setup and use two different modes, and how do you know when each is appropriate. at least that is how i read it, and i was actually thinking the same thing.

I use THX for 2D and Custom 3D for 3D viewing.

I just went ahead and calibrated Custom and Cinema 3D to see how they compared and both ending up looking good also.
post #457 of 2486 Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 PM

what is this clipping everyone keeps mentioning.
post #458 of 2486 Old 01-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Alright, I think I am done for now with THX. Well depending on my phone call to Panasonic of course (I am not expecting much lol).

Taking out offsets until I do some more testing.

Contrast: +49
Brightness: +59
Color: +47
Tint: 0

Everything else turns off.

Working on Custom tomorrow or so. It won't be perfect (gamut and gamma are not great). But it will work for sports/games/bright room viewing.
LL
LL
post #459 of 2486 Old 01-27-2011, 07:27 AM

does anyone know how to check the usage hours on this set? i am in the break in period and dont know how much longer i have left.
post #460 of 2486 Old 01-27-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorage View Post

does anyone know how to check the usage hours on this set? i am in the break in period and dont know how much longer i have left.

1. In order to check the number of hours, you need to enter the service menu (SM). To do this, hold the Vol- button on the TV
itself. While holding this, press INFO on the remote three times. Continue holding Vol-. The blue service menu should
appear.
2. Press 2 on the TV remote.
3. Press OK on the TV remote.
4. Press the down arrow (▼) on the TV remote until you highlight PTCT
5. Press the right arrow (►) on the TV remote.
6. Hold MUTE on the TV remote for three seconds. The number of hours and minutes will appear.
7. To exit, hold the power button on the TV until the set turns off.
post #461 of 2486 Old 01-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutdotnet View Post

Alright, I think I am done for now with THX. Well depending on my phone call to Panasonic of course (I am not expecting much lol).

Working on Custom tomorrow or so. It won't be perfect (gamut and gamma are not great). But it will work for sports/games/bright room viewing.

Thanks very much for these! I will certainly try them out. The red in Warm2 has been bothering me and I was starting to debate using Warm1 instead of two. Hopefully this will be the answer.

I ending up using Color 48 and contrast at 47 without going in the service menu of course.
post #462 of 2486 Old 01-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I think I may try to fine tune it even more this evening (by fine tune I mean start over lol).

If I didn't fubar warm 1 (didn't realize warm 1 uses the "normal" white balance setting in the service menu, till I already made adjustments), I would take a grayscale reading with it. I did do one when I first got my replacement meter, and off of memory it was what I expected warm 1 would be. It was really good to about 50% than blue started climbing.

The reason I stuck with warm 2, was that it was more linear. Yes there was a large red push, but it was relatively flat.

This thing is a bear to calibrate. The way it regulates voltage is the challenge.

I am still not 100% sold on this set..... I did purchase mine from Costco and I am very happy they have a 90day return policy. I was watching Friday Night Lights last night, and the grain in mid-white to white tones was insane. My head rests 12 feet from the TV and it was clearly visible. But of course it could have been the source material. So more testing is needed.
post #463 of 2486 Old 01-27-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakdaripper View Post
1. In order to check the number of hours, you need to enter the service menu (SM). To do this, hold the Vol– button on the TV
itself. While holding this, press INFO on the remote three times. Continue holding Vol–. The blue service menu should
appear.
2. Press 2 on the TV remote.
3. Press OK on the TV remote.
4. Press the down arrow (▼) on the TV remote until you highlight “PTCT”
5. Press the right arrow (►) on the TV remote.
6. Hold MUTE on the TV remote for three seconds. The number of hours and minutes will appear.
7. To exit, hold the power button on the TV until the set turns off.
Thanks. I was just about to ask this question. Is the number that comes up the correct hours/min? I thought I read before that it had to be divided by a certain number to get the correct usage hours.
post #464 of 2486 Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Hey wondering if someone can do me a HUGE favor (I am being lazy right now).

If someone has an SD source hooked up. Can you check if your "normal" service menu white-balance settings match your HD white-balance settings?
post #465 of 2486 Old 01-28-2011, 08:48 AM

I checked Cinema Normal and Warm. The SD matched the SD and the HD matched the HD perfectly for both color temps.
post #466 of 2486 Old 01-28-2011, 09:02 AM

I'm still breaking in my Tv, prob have around 60 hours on it so far. one thing I've noticed is I see a small white dot in the bottom right corner of the screen while watching some cable channels. I also noticed a thin white stripe on the entire right side while watching a movie I was streaming from my computer via my Xbox 360.

one setting I saw that fixed this was changing the "HD size" form HD size 1, to HD size 2 helped (in the menu it says this only shows 95% of the screen to trim off any noise on the edge of the picture)

has anyone else had to do this? are there any adverse effects to doing it?

Loving this TV. can't wait to get some 3D glasses and test out some 3d gaming
post #467 of 2486 Old 01-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Hey gas_leak, did you have a SD source connected? I didn't have an SD source connected, but was still able to look at the SD side by selecting a SD input and then entering the service mode. What I thought was a bit strange was that the warm selection matched my original settings. The Cool and Normal both were at 80/80/80 for all the cuts. Maybe that is correct, but I guess I will hook up a SD source to double check.
post #468 of 2486 Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Drnick5 doesn't sound like you have any issue there. If it only happens on a particular movie or channel etc.... Then it is not an issue with the TV.

And ideally you want to use the setting that shows 100% of the picture (1:1 pixel mapping). Download the AVS calibration disc and look at the pattern associated with this.
post #469 of 2486 Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Hey gas_leak, did you have a SD source connected? I didn't have an SD source connected, but was still able to look at the SD side by selecting a SD input and then entering the service mode. What I thought was a bit strange was that the warm selection matched my original settings. The Cool and Normal both were at 80/80/80 for all the cuts. Maybe that is correct, but I guess I will hook up a SD source to double check.

I told the PS3 to only output 480p and unchecked all other resolutions. When I entered the service menu it was on SD I didn't need to change from HD to SD in the menu. I only checked Warm and Normal, my Normal Cuts are also 80/80/80. My Warm cuts are 7D/80/7F for SD and HD.
post #470 of 2486 Old 01-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Are you able to adjust the 3D glasses at all so they fit better?

They sit a little too high on my nose...
post #471 of 2486 Old 01-28-2011, 05:42 PM

HI Folks,

i'm a newbie in 3D.
I'm French (sorry for that ) I have recently buy a P42GT20 and i read on every side that the GT20 is the same as the GT25.

Well quit the same...

I mean, we dont' have the same control panel. All your settings are different on the GT20.
For example the contrast setting is at 60 MAX on GT20 wich is 100 for the GT25.

My request is simple...
Have you ever heard about a new firmware for the GT20 ? for having the same control panel like the GT25.

Is there any possibility to keep the GT25 firmware on the web and install it on the GT20 ?

Is there any professional settings who can access on the GT20 ?

I have made a logical mathematical conversion for the James cameron settings but i'm not sure of the result.

Many thanks for your futurs answers.

;o)
post #472 of 2486 Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 PM

I don't know if this has been asked in this thread... I'm sure it has... but how is the 3D on this thing for those of you who own it? I'm asking because I might get this over the non-3D 46G25... as long as the 3D looks good. I know it's not gonna be as good as the V25 series, but is there a lot of crosstalk or other image issues?

Thanks.
post #473 of 2486 Old 01-29-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:

Taking out offsets until I do some more testing.

Do you plan to use THX for most of your tv shows and movies and then custom for sports and video games like you mentioned? Just curious what will effect which picture mode you're using.
post #474 of 2486 Old 01-29-2011, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member

Honestly I am probably going to use THX for everything. As 80% of the TV's use in in dim or dark situations. But even doing a quick and dirty custom mode calibration, although the color gamut was off, it still looked good. Only reason for custom is that you can get more light output in that mode (so good for daytime viewing, sports, games, etc....)

First off I need to get the offsets perfect (well as perfect as I can). Again I am no professional. But today I had a great phone conversation with a forum member RayJR (as I was struggling with some plasma specific issues), and I hope by tomorrow evening I will have some "official" settings if you will.
post #475 of 2486 Old 01-29-2011, 09:57 AM

What I gather from reading the Official Panasonic settings thread is that changing warm in the service menu will effect every mode that uses Warm2. So if you perfect THX, then any Custom or Custom 3D settings using Warm2 will be thrown off and you will need to use the Pro Menu W/B sliders to bring it back in line, correct?
post #476 of 2486 Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 AM

Hi all, I have about 30 hours on my 42" GT25. I have been trying peoples settings on here and for some reason they all just seem way too dark and the colors are not looking as sweet as THX mode. I am in a fairly bright room with sun coming in...the settings that I am using are on custom and they are looking pretty sweet....but way off compared to others who have posted settings...does this matter:

Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 65
Brightness: 60
Color: 60
Sharpness: 65
Color Temp: Normal
Color mgmt: off
xv color: off
CATS:: off
Video NR: Medium
Blur Reduction: On
Gamma: 2.4
Panel Brightness: Mid
Black Level: Light

sometimes I use THX but I may stick with these settings for a while
post #477 of 2486 Old 01-29-2011, 11:32 AM

oh yeah and also, I don't know if anyone else notices this little detail. But while looking at the TV on the far left side of the screen there is a little vertical line that seems to be not on the right side? Its hard to describe...I am not sure if this has to do with the 3d technology or not...but it is almost like on the left side of the screen there is a 1/4'' not in use.
post #478 of 2486 Old 01-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Gas_leak that is 100% correct.

Cliff. It is your TV, if you like your settings then use them Just keep in mind that the "Normal" color temp is very blue in the grayscale.
post #479 of 2486 Old 01-29-2011, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what panasonic epp is? I'm trying to get the best price possible for this TV. If anyone knows please PM me. Thanks

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #480 of 2486 Old 01-29-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffturn9 View Post
Hi all, I have about 30 hours on my 42" GT25. I have been trying peoples settings on here and for some reason they all just seem way too dark and the colors are not looking as sweet as THX mode. I am in a fairly bright room with sun coming in...the settings that I am using are on custom and they are looking pretty sweet....but way off compared to others who have posted settings...does this matter:

Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 65
Brightness: 60
Color: 60
Sharpness: 65
Color Temp: Normal
Color mgmt: off
xv color: off
CATS:: off
Video NR: Medium
Blur Reduction: On
Gamma: 2.4
Panel Brightness: Mid
Black Level: Light

sometimes I use THX but I may stick with these settings for a while
Be careful using contrast/ brightness settings over 50 with your TV. Try to get in at least 100 hours.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page