Screen Format: Full
HD Size: Size 2
HDMI/DVI Range: Auto
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 Pulldown: Auto
24p Direct in: 60hz

I have continued to use your settings, and I'm using your custom settings above for everything now. Watched a Blu-Ray movie, played a PS3 game, and watched TV with those settings and everything looked great. Great settings for someone like me who doesn't care to mess with anything in the service menu. Thanks for continuing to post your findings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_leak View Post

I wonder if zakdaripper is using a PS3 for blu-ray playback. The PS3 is the only player that needed to go up with color using the blue filter. The PS3 needed 54 and my Panny blu-ray player, XBOX 360, and Toshiba HD DVD all needed 50 or lower. It's a bit strange.

I am using a PS3 for Blu-ray playback. I by no means am a professional but I'm trying to get it dialed in as best I can with the WoW disc. I do not think my settings are too different from gas_leak's but I might go back and compare the two again.

For those of you that have used the WoW disc for calibrating, (on the pro contrast setting in particular) do you want to barely see the white checker board pattern at +7? Also, I cannot seem to get them gamma setting to fade into the background at 2.2.
post #543 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allnew2me View Post

I don't know how long it will last but right now Amazon has the Panasonic VIERA TC-P50GT25 for 999.98 with the 14-day low price guarantee and 30=day return. This beats the Fry's deal, they charge a delivery fee.

Very happy for this info. I just ordered this TV from Amazon 12 hours ago and paid $1088. After a call to customer service I was just told I would be refunded the difference. Now maybe I will buy some glasses!
post #544 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FretzCapo View Post

Very happy for this info. I just ordered this TV from Amazon 12 hours ago and paid $1088. After a call to customer service I was just told I would be refunded the difference. Now maybe I will buy some glasses!

Let me know if you are needing some Panny 3D glasses. I have some extras I got with an Avatar bundle that have never been used.
post #545 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 AM

Hey marctronixx,

Yeah, it was the Kennesaw store. Me and my buddy were supposed to get out TV shopping over the weekend, but the weather was just too amazing to do anything but have some BBQ and a few beers on the back deck with friends.

Good to hear you've had good success with both of your GT25's. The stalking nature of Brandsmart sales staff gave me the creeps, but they were pretty friendly, and I'm happy with the purchase (even moreso after reading this thread).

I didn't get a chance to tell the wife about not watching channels with permanent images down in the corners. She worked from home all day yesterday and had the the GT25 on 8-9hrs with ESPN and several news channels that had the permanent scrolling bars at the bottom. No burn in at all.

Nutdotnet's most recent description of the purpose of running the slides on a plasma for the purposes of calibration makes sense as well. Probably won't do the slides, but will be a little careful on what I watch. Looking forward to trying out the streaming options (as soon as my wireless adapter gets here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
WG,

did you go to the kennesaw store? i picked up two of these. one a week ago and one this past sat (and wow wasnt it beautiful outside??)

i didnt burn in. i have seen ZERO IR. and i have streamed (i dont subscribe to cable tv or dish, just stream netflx, vudu,, hulu, amazon, etc) 4:3 content pretty much more then full screen and no IR at all. ive got a ps3 on one and a wireless bd player on the other. there is no need to burn in with those sliding images. just wastes electricity.. its like running your car in the driveway to "Warm it up.." wastes gas.. just turn the TV on and GO!
post #546 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
WGavery,

awesome time it sounds like you had over the weekend!

and i think i purchased the last two USB wireless dongles in the Atlanta area. the kennesaw store didnt have any so went to the acworth location. im up by six flags and i think there was one up at the store in hiram.....

yeah i knew what i wanted, walked in, found a sales rep i wanted ot deal with, pointed to the TV and got the 2 yr warranty and was at the dock in about 10 minutes, on both times.. but i know what you mean though...

id like to know how you like the 3D part of it when you get time to sit and watch. also what type of player do you have connected to the tv? thanks for your input...
post #547 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Just pulled the trigger on the 50" thru amazon. I was going to wait for the st or gt models for 2011, but from the msrp, the gt will start nearly 2x the price I paid. Granted the St is cheaper than the Gt series, but no thx would bother me. I currently have a g10 model which my dad is going to buy. Will be nice to upgrade to a better picture, and have the possibility of 3d if I want it. Still cant believe this tv is selling for under $1000. Hopefully my delivery will go smoothly, never bought a tv from amazon before.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #548 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakdaripper View Post
Let me know if you are needing some Panny 3D glasses. I have some extras I got with an Avatar bundle that have never been used.
zakdaripper ... PM'd you about these.
post #549 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

Hopefully my delivery will go smoothly, never bought a tv from amazon before.

Just had a GT25 delivered from Amazon on Saturday. They used CEVA for my delivery and they were great. Brought TV into house and carried it down to the basement. Unpacked it for me so I could check for any damage.

I wouldn't worry about it - Amazon knows what they are doing!

You guys are lucky you bought it from Amazon, i.e., offered and fulfilled by Amazon.com.

When I bought mine last Wednesday for $1149, I didn't realize it was offered through a 3rd party and fulfilled by Amazon. Now, I don't get the price guarantee.

So keep this in mind: ONLY TVs offered and fulfilled by Amazon are eligible for the 14-day price guarantee.
post #550 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FretzCapo View Post

zakdaripper ... PM'd you about these.

Looks like you cannot receive PMs. Shoot me an email:

gijello24@gmail.com
post #551 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 AM

haha everyone is up to date. I was going to come update and say the GT25 was $999 which is what I paid a few weeks back. Also that the Avatar package is $239, that's CHEAP! I picked up the Avatar with my college books I traded in for credit, so I'm very happy. For $1000 I got 2 pairs of glasses and the TV haha.
post #552 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 AM

Here are my settings for Game mode (PS3) after running a calibration:

Picture Mode: Game

Contrast: +85
Brightness: +61
Color: +54
Tint: +4
Sharpness: +10

Color Temp: Normal
Color Mgmt.: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
Blur Reduction: Off

Screen Format: Full
HD Size: Size 2
HDMI/DVI Range: Auto
Mosquito NR: Off
Black Level: Light

This mode is definitely brighter (almost "Vivid" like colors) without burning out your retinas. I probably will not use this other than for gaming. I will stick with THX & Custom for Blu-ray & HDTV viewing.

It's interesting that other folks have not had to change the tint on their GT25. I hope the blue filter I'm using isn't a bad apple.
post #553 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 09:59 AM

Nutdotnet, just in case you missed
my question. What firmware are you on?
post #554 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

I am on firmware 3.0 (the only one available as of yesterday lol).
post #555 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 12:54 PM

I just pulled the trigger on the 50 inch Gt25 for $998. Went ahead and got the Avatar bundle as well since i need 2 pairs of glasses and it was cheaper that way.

Just hope the medium sized glasses that come with it will work on my gigantic melon head.

I actually feel strangely at peace now. I had gone through roughly 6 months of absolute headache agonizing over what i was ultimately going to get. It will be my first "real" HD display as i dont really count the crappy LCD ive been using as a computer monitor for 3 years. Kinda stoked. Hopefully it works out for me.
post #556 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 01:04 PM

"When I bought mine last Wednesday for $1149, I didn't realize it was offered through a 3rd party and fulfilled by Amazon. Now, I don't get the price guarantee. "

I have been watching this model since before Christmas and learned that Amazon bounces the price all over the place. The last time they had the price-match and return policy on the GT50' it was $1199 and I almost bought it at that time. I figured with the Super Bowl coming there might be better deals and sure enough there were (are). I passed on the Fry's deal and waited also and saved a little more. If you sign up for an Amazon/Chase rewards card you will save another $30 making it $969. In a month these same sets will be half the price anyway but at some point you have to buy. I am at least protected for two weeks. It is still shown as 999 this morning.

You are welcome Fretz.
post #557 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 PM

Hi

Im pretty new to the 3d scene and plasma aswell but I need some advice. I have a GT20 UK version. The crosstalk is unbearable on all 3d content whether i'm playing a PS3 game or watching a 3d Blu-Ray movie sometimes I even see double ghosting with a ghosting image either side of the real image. I was just wondering you guys where talking about switching to 48mhz to reduce crosstalk however I have been all through the menu system and cannot find an option to do this anywhere. If anyone could please point me in the right direction to this feature I would be very grateful.

Thanks and sorry for being such a noob
post #558 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsy View Post

HI Folks,

i'm a newbie in 3D.
I'm French (sorry for that ) I have recently buy a P42GT20 and i read on every side that the GT20 is the same as the GT25.

Well quit the same...

I mean, we dont' have the same control panel. All your settings are different on the GT20.
For example the contrast setting is at 60 MAX on GT20 wich is 100 for the GT25.

My request is simple...
Have you ever heard about a new firmware for the GT20 ? for having the same control panel like the GT25.

Is there any possibility to keep the GT25 firmware on the web and install it on the GT20 ?

Is there any professional settings who can access on the GT20 ?

I have made a logical mathematical conversion for the James cameron settings but i'm not sure of the result.

Many thanks for your futurs answers.

;o)

Hi
does someone have a response please?

Many thanks ;o)
post #559 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Honestly, there is enough of a difference between the GT20 and GT25 that this thread should be renamed GT25 only. I mean the panels are the same. But the processing and menu's are quite different. I would suggest checking out avforums.com (UK site).
post #560 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 04:39 PM

Does the GT make a 54, if so what price is that going for?

Nevermind , found it....$1399.......$100 an inch......
post #561 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboLNT5265 View Post

Does the GT make a 54, if so what price is that going for?

No. Only 42 & 50". There is a 46" which is a Costco exclusive.
post #562 of 2485 Old 02-02-2011, 06:31 PM

How does this tv compare to the sammy PN50C680? I'm torn between the two...

edit - Does the GT25 suffer from increased black levels over time like the previous models?
post #563 of 2485 Old 02-03-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFA5 View Post

How does this tv compare to the sammy PN50C680? I'm torn between the two...

edit - Does the GT25 suffer from increased black levels over time like the previous models?

lol I had to laugh at your comment. The wording you use just sounds really funny. Makes it sound like the black levels get better. Anyways my understanding would be be yes.
post #564 of 2485 Old 02-03-2011, 07:04 AM

Just want to say hi to everyone here and thanks for all the helpful info - especially those who have worked so diligently to optimize settings and shared their findings. As you can see, I've been lurking around here for years but only just now have started to post.

I hope to get the most out of the P50GT25 using a number of sources. I recently purchased the Onkyo TX-NR708 and hope that it will be a great match for the Panny. I have not purchased a 3d Bluray player yet as I'm an avid HTPC enthusiast and have most of my BD content stored as MKV files on a Windows Home Server and streaming to a number of HTPCs.

This may be a better question for the Home Theater Computers forum but I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with playing ripped 3DBluray mkv or iso files with the GT25. I'll be looking forward to either trying to stream the MKV over wired LAN or USB in addition to running HDMI out from the HTPC. Has anyone played MKV, MPEG or AVI files through built in decoder?

I've also read that one can mount the iso and play through Total Media Theater running behind Windows Media Center 7. Does anyone here have any experience with that?

I can see that many of you are still trying to perfect your output so I'll understand if this is totally off-topic of sorts here but I'm interested in getting the most flexibility out of this pretty great sounding TV.

Thanks,
Fretz

EDIT: just found an interesting thread concerning this subject on the HTPC but without much Panasonic specific info
Link
post #565 of 2485 Old 02-03-2011, 07:45 AM

Question about picture mode settings: (GT25)

On my old Panny LCD Projection, picture mode settings could be set separately for each source. I'd like to use THX for both my cable box and ps3, but I need different settings to get the picture to my liking. It seems that each picture mode setup is global. Am I missing something?
post #566 of 2485 Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esanto View Post

Question about picture mode settings: (GT25)

On my old Panny LCD Projection, picture mode settings could be set separately for each source. I'd like to use THX for both my cable box and ps3, but I need different settings to get the picture to my liking. It seems that each picture mode setup is global. Am I missing something?

If its like my g10 (Gt25 on its way), the custom setting should be individual for each input. The other settings are not input specific meaning thx tweaked for hdmi 1, will be the same settings for hdmi 2.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #567 of 2485 Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

If its like my g10 (Gt25 on its way), the custom setting should be individual for each input. The other settings are not input specific meaning thx tweaked for hdmi 1, will be the same settings for hdmi 2.

Bummer. Guess I'll set up THX on the ps3, and custom for everything else. Thanks for the reply.
post #568 of 2485 Old 02-03-2011, 09:17 AM

Does anyone know if the black level rise is worse on the GT than it is on the VT?
post #569 of 2485 Old 02-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanjc View Post

Does anyone know if the black level rise is worse on the GT than it is on the VT?

Cnet indicated the VT series started at like .004 and when all is said and done may go to .009. The g series started at like .007 and they anticipated that at the max may increase to .014. I wouldnt worry about it honestly. From what they are indicating in their long term testing, is that the black levels will still be below Samsung C8000 which is .017 and C9000 at .19
Panny's plasmas have always done this. However they screwed up badly on the g10 model from 2 years ago. The rise would go from like .008 to .028 and higher for some people, and sometimes overnight. They have since fixed their panels so that they dont have to be as agressive with the voltage necessary, but also the change that odes occur is not spread and may not occur fully until 4 years or so. I personally have a g10, and while the blacks increased some, the picture is great. The only reason I'm moving on, is the g10 also had a problem with their reflective coating they put on their panels, which looks almost like vertical streaks that can be seen when there is fast panning. Since I watch alot of hockey, this bothered me.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #570 of 2485 Old 02-03-2011, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I see amazon has the tv for $999.99 It a little more expensive then the epp, but I'm sure the epp takes longer then amazon to ship the tv. What do you guys think?

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page