Official Panasonic GT20/25 Owner's Thread! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2485 Old 11-12-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I wish there was reference calibration settings for the GT series. I notice that there is a thread for VT and regular G series TV's, but not any settings posted for the GT series. I am most likely getting the Costco bundle soon. Also, is there different settings for calibration for 3D mode or are contrast, brightness, etc the same for both 2D and 3D?

By the way, does anyone know what kind of glasses come with the Costco bundle? I hope its the new shutter glasses because the older (original) 3D glasses were heavier and uncomfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2485 Old 11-12-2010, 08:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

By the way, does anyone know what kind of glasses come with the Costco bundle? I hope its the new shutter glasses because the older (original) 3D glasses were heavier and uncomfortable.

Costco has the bundle with the two movies (Coraline & Ice Age) and the older glasses.
post #63 of 2485 Old 11-12-2010, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess the only downside to the deal is that you get the older glasses. The new ones are so much better from what I experienced in the store. Don't think its enough to hold me back though.
post #64 of 2485 Old 11-13-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:

Also, is there different settings for calibration for 3D mode or are contrast, brightness, etc the same for both 2D and 3D?

You can't adjust contrast, brightness, etc just for 3D. You can customize those settings for each input though.
post #65 of 2485 Old 11-13-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman02 View Post

You can't adjust contrast, brightness, etc just for 3D. You can customize those settings for each input though.

Cool, but from what I have been reading there are specific settings just for 3D when in 3D mode. I guess I will see for myself when I get the TV. I will definitely have to go through and see what options there are. I have never owned a Panasonic or a plasma before. I'm used to LCD's, but definitely want to go the plasma route for 3D.
post #66 of 2485 Old 11-14-2010, 12:14 AM

Thinking about picking up this TV.

For those of you who bought one already, are you happy with it?

I'm a little bummed about the reported flickering in the 24p/48Hz mode. Is it as unwatchable as Cnet reports?
post #67 of 2485 Old 11-14-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:

Cool, but from what I have been reading there are specific settings just for 3D when in 3D mode.

Here are the settings for 3D mode:

3D Eyewear : On / Off
3D Format: Auto, Side by side, Top and Bottom, 2D->3D, Native
2D-3D Depth: Minimum, Medium, Maximum
Left / Right Swap: Normal / Swapped
Diagonal Line Filter: On / Off
post #68 of 2485 Old 11-14-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle View Post

Thinking about picking up this TV.

For those of you who bought one already, are you happy with it?

I'm a little bummed about the reported flickering in the 24p/48Hz mode. Is it as unwatchable as Cnet reports?

Replying to myself...

The flickering in 48Hz mode is pretty horrible I took a look at it at Fry's, in full on torch mode it's completely unwatchable and it was pretty marginal on the THX preset, but after a few minutes of watching it I kinda felt my head throb. I wonder why they even bothered to implement the feature to be honest...
post #69 of 2485 Old 11-14-2010, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I was in Fry's today and was extremely disappointed. They had the 50' GT25 HDTV setup, but without a Blu-ray 3D player hooked up. I wanted to test it out so they hooked up an LG Blu-ray 3D player and first they tried to fire it up and the 3D Blu-ray would not load up past the menu screen (may I first add they originally put in a non 3D Blu-ray disc). Then they got another disc and it loaded up fine and brought over Samsung 3D glasses and I told them "no, we need the Panasonic glasses". So, after waiting around for 15 minutes they came back and told us they could not figure out how to change the batter in the Panasonic glasses therefore we could not look at the 3D on the Panasonic GT25 television. Very disappointing.
post #70 of 2485 Old 11-15-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:

I'm coming from a 4 year old 42" 720p Visio LCD, so it's a tough comparison. I've tried several different sources: Uverse, over the air HD, etc. I took a shot with my digital camera from about 8 inches away to try and highlight the effect (over the air HD). I have to add that from farther away the TV looks amazing. Perhaps all plasmas look like this up close? I can't post links yet but it's on imgur:

imgur.com/8vLHO.jpg

I also noticed that I have two pixels that aren't completely functional: the first one won't turn red and the second one won't turn blue. Not a huge deal but I thought that issues like this were a thing of the past.

This is exactly what I am worried about. I was set on the 60pk950 but then saw one in person and it was grainy and pixelated even in the THX modes I was so upset. I then went to Best Buy (I know I know) and even with their horrid settings and bad quality TV playing it looked amazing. My wife and I really want the VT25 now. The 3D is cool but I can live without and I don't care about the Internet stuff. However, with my employee discount I can get 2x 50gt25, 2x blu-ray players and 4x glasses for the price of a single 58VT25. Either there is a reason the GT25 is so cheap or the VT has to come down in price. If it sounds too good to be true it always is.

Also, I'm just not sure that from 11' the 50" will even be worth viewing in 3D...for the 4 movies that are even out...
post #71 of 2485 Old 11-16-2010, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone comment on the GT24 46' and/or GT25 50'? I've been debating to get the 46 incher at Costco as they have an excellent price for the bundle, but Amazon has the 50' for a little less than $200 more. I just wonder if 46 inches would be big enough for 3D viewing. Another thing I'm leary about is buying a TV from Amazon as I do not know how good or how bad the Squaretrade warranty is. $119 for 3 years seems cheap.
post #72 of 2485 Old 11-16-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:

Can anyone comment on the GT24 46' and/or GT25 50'? I've been debating to get the 46 incher at Costco as they have an excellent price for the bundle, but Amazon has the 50' for a little less than $200 more. I just wonder if 46 inches would be big enough for 3D viewing.

We actually need to re-arrange the furniture at the house so that we can sit closer to our 50" GT25 (recently purchased from Amazon), as we were coming from a 58" rear-projection set.

I'd only consider the 46" if it was going into a smaller room and/or would be used mainly for gaming.

If you haven't already, try demo-ing a 3D setup where you can move the glasses further away from the display. In my local Costco, both the Panasonic and Samsung displays have the glassed attached to a stand just a few feet in front of the TV, so they can get away with using the smaller displays.
post #73 of 2485 Old 11-16-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmonaky View Post

We actually need to re-arrange the furniture at the house so that we can sit closer to our 50" GT25 (recently purchased from Amazon), as we were coming from a 58" rear-projection set.

I'd only consider the 46" if it was going into a smaller room and/or would be used mainly for gaming.

If you haven't already, try demo-ing a 3D setup where you can move the glasses further away from the display. In my local Costco, both the Panasonic and Samsung displays have the glassed attached to a stand just a few feet in front of the TV, so they can get away with using the smaller displays.

I have checked out the Sony, Samsung and Panasonic 3D setups at Costco. I am most impressed with the Panasonic 3D. I do agree that the glasses are too up close for all displays, but felt the 46 inch was the best. Perhaps the reason for this is because it benefited from being a smaller screen in this case since the glasses are so up close. I am really debating on the 50' GT from Amazon. Only negative is that I have to purchase a warranty whereas with Costco, the warranty is included with the purchase.

Would you be able to elaborate on how good the warranty is on Amazon if you purchased. Also, which warranty did you purchase? I was looking into the 3 year for $119.
post #74 of 2485 Old 11-16-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Would you be able to elaborate on how good the warranty is on Amazon if you purchased. Also, which warranty did you purchase? I was looking into the 3 year for $119.

I didn't purchase an additional warranty. The credit card I used doubles the manufacturer's warranty (from 1 to 2 years).

Normally, I would purchase something like this locally (and likely at Costco). But Amazon had a fantastic sale on this set at the time of purchase (about half-off), so I jumped at the deal.
post #75 of 2485 Old 11-16-2010, 06:09 PM

I got in on the same Amazon deal, but even though it was a great deal my girlfriend thinks we should send it back and go a little bigger. Our main couch is 12 feet away and most of the viewing distance charts suggest I need 58" or bigger. Here's a pic of it on the wall. What do you guys think? You can also see how much ambient light the panel sucks up... might not be the best TV for people with bright rooms.
post #76 of 2485 Old 11-17-2010, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got in on the same Amazon deal, but even though it was a great deal my girlfriend thinks we should send it back and go a little bigger. Our main couch is 12 feet away and most of the viewing distance charts suggest I need 58" or bigger. Here's a pic of it on the wall. What do you guys think? You can also see how much ambient light the panel sucks up... might not be the best TV for people with bright rooms.

Thats the problem with buying a new TV. Once you get it into your house you think to yourself "should I have gone bigger". I can see what your talking about. I don't know if its just me or what, but the TV seems smaller when its hung up on the wall. Have you thought about either bringing it down or setting it onto the TV desk stand that you have there? Although, from the looks of it, it might be too late to do that.
post #77 of 2485 Old 11-17-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:

With a 12' viewing distance, I'd go a lot bigger, especially for 3D content. If you weren't married to 3D and had better light control in the room, I'd suggest a HD projector.

If you move it down to the tabletop, then be sure and still anchor it if you have kids.
post #78 of 2485 Old 11-17-2010, 11:27 PM

OK, I took the plunge, and I just got it set up. Playing some games on the PS3 to test the 3D..

The crosstalk is pretty noticeable. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Right now I am leaning towards returning it, but I really do want to keep it
post #79 of 2485 Old 11-17-2010, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, I took the plunge, and I just got it set up. Playing some games on the PS3 to test the 3D..

The crosstalk is pretty noticeable. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Right now I am leaning towards returning it, but I really do want to keep it

Hearing that makes me not want to get this TV. I can't imagine that the GT series would differ from the VT series that much. The VT series as many have said does not have a lot of crosstalk. Have you tried a firmware upgrade yet by any chance? Also, what games are you playing in 3D? Try putting in a 3D Blu-ray disc to see if there is a lot of crosstalk with that.
post #80 of 2485 Old 11-18-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:

Hearing that makes me not want to get this TV. I can't imagine that the GT series would differ from the VT series that much. The VT series as many have said does not have a lot of crosstalk. Have you tried a firmware upgrade yet by any chance? Also, what games are you playing in 3D? Try putting in a 3D Blu-ray disc to see if there is a lot of crosstalk with that.

OK, I think I have this sorted out.

First off, I was sitting too close. I have the 50" model and since it is in my bedroom, I was sitting at the edge of the bed...when I parked myself at the far end of the bed (probably 7-8' away) the crosstalk was much less noticeable.

I noticed that the crosstalk was better or worse depending on the game. I was checking out the MLB 10 demo and it looks really good, with minimal crosstalk, but Wipeout HD was really hard to look at for me. There's an option in the game to reduce "3D strength" and dialing that down to 30-40% (default is 100%) and sitting further back really made things a lot better.

I downloaded the Motorstorm 3D demo and that was not bad, even at 100% strength. It could have something to do with the color palette in that game. (I found the most annoying thing to look at in Wipeout is the tunnel on that first track, blue tunnel with yellow highlights...)

I think I am going to pop in one of these Blu-rays for about 15 minutes to see how it goes...but I'm already feeling better about my purchase.

Edit: I popped in Ice Age and it looks fine...I think it's because the games are implementing 3D with kind of a heavy hand...
post #81 of 2485 Old 11-18-2010, 05:48 AM

Do the GT25 sets offer any 2D improvements over the the G25 sets or do they just basically add the 3D features with the same 2D performance.
post #82 of 2485 Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeppurpleman View Post

Do the GT25 sets offer any 2D improvements over the the G20 sets or do they just basically add the 3D features with the same 2D performance.

I don't have any experience with the G20 but my understanding is that the phosphors are faster on the GT25, so you'll get less phosphor lag.

That said, I'm sensitive to phosphor lag if I'm sitting too close and I see it occasionally when in the PS3 XMB on the GT25.
post #83 of 2485 Old 11-18-2010, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK, I think I have this sorted out.

First off, I was sitting too close. I have the 50" model and since it is in my bedroom, I was sitting at the edge of the bed...when I parked myself at the far end of the bed (probably 7-8' away) the crosstalk was much less noticeable.

I noticed that the crosstalk was better or worse depending on the game. I was checking out the MLB 10 demo and it looks really good, with minimal crosstalk, but Wipeout HD was really hard to look at for me. There's an option in the game to reduce "3D strength" and dialing that down to 30-40% (default is 100%) and sitting further back really made things a lot better.

I downloaded the Motorstorm 3D demo and that was not bad, even at 100% strength. It could have something to do with the color palette in that game. (I found the most annoying thing to look at in Wipeout is the tunnel on that first track, blue tunnel with yellow highlights...)

I think I am going to pop in one of these Blu-rays for about 15 minutes to see how it goes...but I'm already feeling better about my purchase.

Edit: I popped in Ice Age and it looks fine...I think it's because the games are implementing 3D with kind of a heavy hand...
Thats good to hear. Do you have DirecTV at all? If so, check out the n3D channel and let us know how that works. For whatever reason, DirecTV does not have the GT25 model listed under compatible TV's for 3D, but I'm sure it would work.
post #84 of 2485 Old 11-21-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Thats good to hear. Do you have DirecTV at all? If so, check out the n3D channel and let us know how that works. For whatever reason, DirecTV does not have the GT25 model listed under compatible TV's for 3D, but I'm sure it would work.
No DirecTV here, sorry.

Not that you'd probably want to play games this way, but if anyone cares, the 2D-3D conversion mode does not seem to add any video lag...(measured using Rock Band 2 autocalibration)
post #85 of 2485 Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 AM

I still can't decide between 54G25, 50GT or a 50VT. They are all within a couple hundred dollars... Just want the best value, so I'm leaning towards the 54G25..argh!

PSN GFP21
post #86 of 2485 Old 11-23-2010, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatsix View Post

I still can't decide between 54G25, 50GT or a 50VT. They are all within a couple hundred dollars... Just want the best value, so I'm leaning towards the 54G25..argh!

If you are not big on 3D, then the regular G series would probably be for you. I am deciding between the the GT and VT as well. The VT is better, but by how much really. I know the VT may have better parts and maybe slightly better picture quality, but the GT and VT might have to be side by side to tell a difference. I've looked at both in stores and were equally impressed with both.
post #87 of 2485 Old 11-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know if the 6th Ave 50" GT bundle comes with the newer glasses? Can't tell from this link http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.asp...CP50GT25-3DBDL
post #88 of 2485 Old 11-25-2010, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasman View Post

Does anyone know if the 6th Ave 50" GT bundle comes with the newer glasses? Can't tell from this link http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.asp...CP50GT25-3DBDL

Looks like it does come with the glasses according to both the picture and description. It says you get the 3D starter kit. The starter kit would include of 2 pairs of 3D glasses and 2 Blu-ray 3D movies which are Coraline and Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs.
post #89 of 2485 Old 11-26-2010, 08:12 AM

I'm looking at the 6ave deal myself. Trying to decide if the deal is finally good enough to make the plunge. I know the panny plasmas has issues with spontaneously dieing last year, so I'm hoping they fixed it. I've been mostly watching for a good deal on Panasonic Plasma since this TV will be both in a dark room (basement) and used primarily for gaming.

It would be nice to actually have a TV in the house again so I can use my dusty Xbox360. :P

Edit: Anyone have any experience with 6ave and their return/warranty policy?
post #90 of 2485 Old 11-26-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devthor View Post
I'm looking at the 6ave deal myself. Trying to decide if the deal is finally good enough to make the plunge. I know the panny plasmas has issues with spontaneously dieing last year, so I'm hoping they fixed it. I've been mostly watching for a good deal on Panasonic Plasma since this TV will be both in a dark room (basement) and used primarily for gaming.

It would be nice to actually have a TV in the house again so I can use my dusty Xbox360. :P

Edit: Anyone have any experience with 6ave and their return/warranty policy?
Not sure about them, but Amazon has the 50' GT25 bundle for $1599 now!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page