Official Panasonic GT20/25 Owner's Thread! - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2486 Old 11-27-2010, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey fellas i ordered a 42gt25 from Panasonics EPP program full bundle for 1090+tax.. Anywho, i was wondering how to break this tv in correctly for i have never owned a plasma!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2486 Old 12-01-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle View Post

I don't have any experience with the G20 but my understanding is that the phosphors are faster on the GT25, so you'll get less phosphor lag.

That said, I'm sensitive to phosphor lag if I'm sitting too close and I see it occasionally when in the PS3 XMB on the GT25.

i'll do some looking but can you breifly explain phosphor lag for me?

is it only when gaming?

I don't care about 3D or gaming so much ... PQ is my #1 concern with sports being a majority of my viewing

was thinking the G series might be for me but like I said I don't want to sacrifice PQ
post #93 of 2486 Old 12-02-2010, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonlou View Post
i'll do some looking but can you breifly explain phosphor lag for me?

is it only when gaming?

I don't care about 3D or gaming so much ... PQ is my #1 concern with sports being a majority of my viewing

was thinking the G series might be for me but like I said I don't want to sacrifice PQ
I'll let this article do the talking:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/plasm...2007040133.htm

That said, this TV has faster phosphors (to support the 3D mode), so there is probably less phosphor lag than the G25 model.

I only see it if I am in the PS3 main menu (XMB) which is quickly moving white text on a dark background, and even then only if I am sitting too close (so I can see the lag on parts of the screen at the edges of my vision). I don't think you will see this if you are watching sports programming at a normal distance...
post #94 of 2486 Old 12-03-2010, 08:36 AM

I am now the proud owner of a 50" G25!
post #95 of 2486 Old 12-03-2010, 11:50 AM

hey guys, panasonic epp has the 50GT25 bundle (includes Avatar 3D blu ray, glasses, and a Panny 3D blu ray player) for $1370+tax and FS. The bundle itself can be flipped onto ebay for ~$400 (maybe even more) netting you a pretty sweet deal of ~$970+tax for a 50GT25. Should also make it easier to decide between the VT and GT series if you're having trouble. As for getting the epp pricing, check out a certain thread on slickdeals.net (not going to post it here since i don't know whether it's allowed).
post #96 of 2486 Old 12-03-2010, 08:23 PM

Yep, that EPP at Panasonic is a really good deal. They offer a package there which includes the 50" GT25, a 3D BR player, Avatar 3D BR, two pair of glasses, AND a home theater system. I jumped on it today and purchased the whole kit and kaboodle, with the plan to sell the Avatar BR and sound system...

Looking forward to seeing this display in person. I've owned three Panny plasmas and have been more than happy with each of them. I trust this one won't disappoint...
post #97 of 2486 Old 12-04-2010, 11:33 AM

I ordered the 50GT25 a couple of days ago and have been reading up while I wait for delivery. I have seen the VT25 model in a store demo and was blown away and was strongly considering purchasing it, but couldnt find a good deal anywhere. I wasn't able to find a single site that sold the VT25 with the blu-ray player and avatar kit bundled, so I went with the GT25.

My big question is this....

Am I going to be disappointed with my purchase after seeing how awesome the VT25 model is?
post #98 of 2486 Old 12-04-2010, 10:01 PM

A happy owner of a new 42GT25 chiming in here. I got mine at the local B&M Fry's with two pairs of glasses, Avatar 3D, a BDT100P Blu-Ray player, and a complimentary 3 year protection plan, all for $1599. I picked up a couple of more pairs of glasses and Coraline 3D and Ice Age 3 3D from Amazon for another $200. I'll flip the bundled Blu-Ray player on eBay, and will eventually flip the discs as well. This is going to be mainly used for gaming, and the THX mode is pretty spot on to reference standards with no adjustments. The blacks are deep and stable as far as I can tell. No buzzing observed either. The quality of the 3D image in Avatar was simply stunning. While watching it, my son said "I don't remember Avatar being this good in 3D". I could only see rare instances of crosstalk, and only because I was looking for it on purpose. The father I sat, the less noticeable the crosstalk was. Much better sense of depth than the store LED-LCD demos I've seen before. This is in a dark basement, so reflections are a non issue, but the AR coating on the screen is awesomely effective anyway. A happy Panny owner now, and finally on the 3D train.
post #99 of 2486 Old 12-06-2010, 05:44 AM

rajendra82.. i ordered a 42gt25.. how many feet back did you sit for the best 3d effect (w/o crosstalk issues).. also will 8 feet back work for this tv? bought it for a small toy/play room.
post #100 of 2486 Old 12-08-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomite View Post

rajendra82.. i ordered a 42gt25.. how many feet back did you sit for the best 3d effect (w/o crosstalk issues).. also will 8 feet back work for this tv? bought it for a small toy/play room.

I noticed slight crosstalk, when I was about 6 feet away from the TV on the floor. When I moved back to the couch about 12 feet away from the screen, the crosstalk became less pronounced without losing much of the 3D effect. I use this set in the basement for mainly gaming, so the 6 ft away position is where I normally sit when playing games in 2D. Based on the 2x screen width min. and 5x screen width max. distance rule, a distance of 6'-15' from a 42" TV should be the best seating position, so my experience was validated by the theoretical recommendations. If you are sitting 8 ft away, you will have a very pleasant experience in both modes, I think.
post #101 of 2486 Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 PM

I'm very interested in getting this TV. Is any of you mount it on the wall? Can it be mounted on a standard wall mount or do I need to buy the one from Panasonic? I have no experience with Plasma TV, my only concern is screen burn in since this TV will be a gaming TV as well.
post #102 of 2486 Old 12-09-2010, 03:17 PM

Is the 2d an upgrade, downgrade, or the same as a g25? Panasonic is offering me the GT25 for the same price as the G25...

PSN GFP21
post #103 of 2486 Old 12-10-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post

I'm very interested in getting this TV. Is any of you mount it on the wall? Can it be mounted on a standard wall mount or do I need to buy the one from Panasonic? I have no experience with Plasma TV, my only concern is screen burn in since this TV will be a gaming TV as well.

I'm waiting for mine to arrive (50" GT25); I plan to mount it where my 50" G10 currently hangs. I'm quite certain my existing mount will work, which I got from Monoprice...
post #104 of 2486 Old 12-10-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatsix View Post

Is the 2d an upgrade, downgrade, or the same as a g25? Panasonic is offering me the GT25 for the same price as the G25...

I compared three 50" Panasonic plasma displays side by side at Fry's after getting them out of torch mode. They were the GT25, G25 and S2, all being fed by the store HD feed. The G25 and GT25 looked very close to each other in the THX mode with GT25 blues being just a touch more purple than the G25. The G25 picture was the more natural looking of the two for the specific scenes being shown. The S2 had no THX mode, so it was set in the Cinema mode, and it looked brighter than the other two, but noticeably more grainy. I wouldn't consider the GT25 a downgrade in terms of the 2D picture, but more of a variation in color gamut that can be tweaked.
post #105 of 2486 Old 12-10-2010, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the input. They gave me the GT25 for the G25's price.

PSN GFP21
post #106 of 2486 Old 12-10-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I think I may be in the minority on this one- does anyone else see yellow and/or blue when they dart their eyes from one location to another? Monochromatic content makes it easier to notice that tiny millisecond that it's unmistakably visible. Not a major nuisance, just curious why it happens and why some people can't see it. P42GT25 is the model.
post #107 of 2486 Old 12-10-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

I think I may be in the minority on this one- does anyone else see yellow and/or blue when they dart their eyes from one location to another? Monochromatic content makes it easier to notice that tiny millisecond that it's unmistakably visible. Not a major nuisance, just curious why it happens and why some people can't see it. P42GT25 is the model.

My GT 46" from Costco seems to have more yellow to some scenes. Is that normal for the VTs too?
post #108 of 2486 Old 12-10-2010, 05:54 PM

Anyone have any success downloading and installing the new firmware for the GT25:

http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us201...ealSettings#gt

I keep getting an error code when I try, wondering if there is a trick to formatting the SD Card. I've tried on both a Mac and PC.

Also I noticed quite a bit of crosstalk while watching Coraline, but no instances in Ice Age. Is Coraline a problematic disc?
post #109 of 2486 Old 12-11-2010, 05:04 PM

This is from Kevin Miller and Dave Abrams at TweakTV. Full review is a bit different than the quick review Kevin produces a couple of times a month.

Pros: Very good value for the money at a list price of $1,699. Very good black levels, and accurate color gamut (in the THX picture mode) that adheres to the ITU-709 specifications for HDTV. The panel has good off axis viewing when compared to LCD panels, and good 3D picture quality.

Cons: The panel begins to clip white and color at very low contrast levels yielding a very low 17 fTLs. of peak light output with no clipping, and with whites extending out beyond the 235 range for white in a video signal. Grayscale and gamma tracking is inconsistent and choppy by comparison to other flat panels on the market both plasma and LCD.

To Buy or not to Buy? Considering the TC-P42GT25 is available for under $1,500 on the Internet, it is a relatively good value for the money. It is a very credible performer with good overall color accuracy. One major flaw: It clips the video signal at very low contrast levels making its light output somewhat limited.

http://www.tweaktv.com/quick-looks/p...ct-review.html
post #110 of 2486 Old 12-11-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
That's from phosphor decay. The green and red phosphors decay slower than the blue, so you see a yellowish tint if you move your eyes. Some people are more sensitive than other and can see it more easily. I could easily see the DLP rainbows, but I have to work hard to see the phosphor decay on plasmas.
post #111 of 2486 Old 12-12-2010, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post
That's from phosphor decay. The green and red phosphors decay slower than the blue, so you see a yellowish tint if you move your eyes. Some people are more sensitive than other and can see it more easily. I could easily see the DLP rainbows, but I have to work hard to see the phosphor decay on plasmas.
Ah. I had heard the term phosphor decay before but never understood it.
post #112 of 2486 Old 12-12-2010, 02:14 PM

just got my gt25 50" from leons in canada,,1999 with 3d blu ray player, 2 pr glasses, 3 movies,, and waived recycle fees,, and included delivery,,,, vt25 50 was same price,, but i figured the 2d-3d converting may be a asset for awhile till there is more content,, would have loved the vt25 54,, but just couldnt justify the xtra 700 bux right now,, as after break in i do want to have it calibrated,, think the 200 for calibration is worth it??
post #113 of 2486 Old 12-12-2010, 03:33 PM

Hey guys, I bit the bullet and got the 42gt25 bundle off amazon for 1181 (no tax). Question, is the avatar 3d really 3d? Or do you supposed to use the 2d-3d conversion on it? Also is there a performance difference between the panny blurry and my ps3? If not I want to sell it...
post #114 of 2486 Old 12-13-2010, 02:15 PM

so whats the verdict on the crosstalk on these sets? I just bouught one from amazon and im waiting to get it, but after reading the cnet review Im worried about bad 3d, i specifically chose this one because I assumed it would be better than the sammys in terms of crosstalk
post #115 of 2486 Old 12-13-2010, 07:30 PM

New here to the forum. Have not owned a plasma before but thought I wanted a GT25. But When I was at Sears for a serious checkout,especially the 2D performance,I noticed quite a bit of judder with some of the motion. So To test it I had them put in a copy of Schrek,went to the end credits and it was pretty bad. The Samsung LED 120hz next to it scrolling the same thing was smooth as silk. I don't want an LED,let alone a Samsung, but what gives with this???
Not one single setting on GT25 improved it. (It was not set to 48 or 24.)
post #116 of 2486 Old 12-13-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domcorleone View Post

Hey guys, I bit the bullet and got the 42gt25 bundle off amazon for 1181 (no tax). Question, is the avatar 3d really 3d? Or do you supposed to use the 2d-3d conversion on it? Also is there a performance difference between the panny blurry and my ps3? If not I want to sell it...

Live action parts of Avatar 3D were shot with stereoscopic cameras and the CGI parts were rendered in 3D to match. It is as truly 3D as you can get. There should also be no difference in image quality between the Panasonic Blu-Ray player and PS3, and only a slight difference in sound quality in certain situations (DTS 7.1 receiver can be fed lossless audio if you have the PS3 slim or the Panny player, but only lossy audio if you have PS3 fat). Sell the bundled player and use the money for more movies and games.
post #117 of 2486 Old 12-13-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domcorleone View Post

so whats the verdict on the crosstalk on these sets? I just bouught one from amazon and im waiting to get it, but after reading the cnet review Im worried about bad 3d, i specifically chose this one because I assumed it would be better than the sammys in terms of crosstalk

Check this engadget roundup for a subjective comparison of the manufacturers. Panasonic has about the least amount of crosstalk.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/06/3...d-sony-square/
post #118 of 2486 Old 12-13-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra82 View Post

Check this engadget roundup for a subjective comparison of the manufacturers. Panasonic has about the least amount of crosstalk.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/06/3...d-sony-square/

Thanks for the info!
post #119 of 2486 Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 AM

So, whats the deal with the GT25? It seems like no one has them. This thread is pretty dead, lots of speculation, few people who actually have them.

The 'Panasonic settings' thread has no section for the GT25, do the G25 setting apply?

Or has this model not been out long enough to have activity?

Compared to the S2 thread, there is nothing here..

I ask because I have one on the way I think. I had ordered an 50" S2, but due to some issue, they told me a GT25 is being substituted. I don't plan on using 3D, but getting built in netflix will be a nice bonus. Upgrading from a 36" SD CRT.

I canceled my walmart order for a 'Viore' to get the Panasonic. I hope I don't regret that move.
post #120 of 2486 Old 12-15-2010, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasman View Post

Does anyone know if the 6th Ave 50" GT bundle comes with the newer glasses? Can't tell from this link http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.asp...CP50GT25-3DBDL

Yes, mine did and I ordered at $1499 in late November (on or before Black Friday). The player shipped first and plasma shipped on 11/30. The kit shipped on 12/1, as I think they weren't allowed to sell with Avatar before that date. The Plasma took about a week to get from NYC to DC area and almost another week for the local clowns to get it to my door after numerous calls and bitching to 6Ave and TransWorld.

It arrived late Monday afternoon, was hung on the wall that evening, and has been running through a break-in slideshow loop since then. D-Nice does not have settings for the GT25. I'm going to calibrate with Chroma 5 and Calman 4.1.1 on Friday and provide my findings and opinion.

I bought it to replace a 4.5 year old Sony KDS-60A2000 with a failing optical block. At $1499 for the bundle, I thought this was the way to go. Turns out that Sony is going to replace the bad SXRD with a new KDL-60X500 for only $350. So, now I'm considering trying to return the Panny plama (restocking fee?), sell it locally in DC area, or just keep it. The 60" LCD is bigger, much cheaper, less worry about IR, and I should have my RS40 for 3D very soon.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page