Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2485 Old 01-02-2011, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivag21 View Post
I had the same question. I posted in on the official 2010 panasonic thread and got the following response.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19716630

The experts recommend the settings of G25 for GT25
I'd like to try that, but I'm hesitant to go into the service menu. I'm sure it's nothing, but I don't want to risk anything.

I could use my PS3 for the 1080p signal, and I haven't upgraded my dish receiver to HD yet, so that would cover my 480 source, I just don't know how much I want to mess with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2485 Old 01-02-2011, 06:27 PM

I am a Call of Duty addict.
Should I avoid this TV if I play COD for hours at a time?

I don't want to worry about the HUD display from the game burning into the screen.
post #183 of 2485 Old 01-03-2011, 11:03 AM

I just picked up a GT25 yesterday. I got it set up and am breaking it in when the wife is at work and just watching it otherwise. I replaced a constantly blinking Samsung PN50C7000 with this and am pretty happy to not see any picture blinking. My wife actually likes the PQ on this set better than the Sammy. They actually look pretty close to me, but I'm no videophile. One thing that's weird is that after I upgraded the firmware to 3.00, Vieracast won't come up. When I push the Vieracast button, I get a grey bubble on the upper left side of the screen that shows my current input (HDMI), and then goes away. I don't have the set hooked up to the internet yet, so maybe that is the issue... Kind of odd though.

edit: I just did some reading in the G20/25 thread, I guess removing the "demo" Vieracast menu is a feature of 3.00 and I need to get my internet set up before I can see it. I just need that backordered Panasonic wireless dongle...

Dean
post #184 of 2485 Old 01-03-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTc6 View Post

I am a Call of Duty addict.
Should I avoid this TV if I play COD for hours at a time?

I don't want to worry about the HUD display from the game burning into the screen.

I think after the first 100 hours of break in you'll be fine. I game quite a bit, and Call of Duty is my game of choice at the moment, and I haven't had any problems. I don't think image retention is as big of an issue as it used to be.
post #185 of 2485 Old 01-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I had the same question. I posted in on the official 2010 panasonic thread and got the following response.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19716630

The experts recommend the settings of G25 for GT25

That is actually incorrect. If you read a few more posts down Larry thought it WAS a G20 not GT series.
post #186 of 2485 Old 01-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Those of you who ordered G25s and got GT25s instead got an awesome deal even without the 3D kit. If I order a G25 from EPP will I still get this deal on a GT25?
post #187 of 2485 Old 01-03-2011, 04:38 PM

Gamers, what settings are you using for your xbox or ps3?
post #188 of 2485 Old 01-03-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakdaripper View Post

Those of you who ordered G25s and got GT25s instead got an awesome deal even without the 3D kit. If I order a G25 from EPP will I still get this deal on a GT25?

It's a tough call, I ordered on the 23rd and got the upgrade call last week. I would say the odds are in your favor. The price has shot up twice since I purchased mine so it's not as hot of a deal anymore unfortunatley.

Good luck!
post #189 of 2485 Old 01-03-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaddam205 View Post

It's a tough call, I ordered on the 23rd and got the upgrade call last week. I would say the odds are in your favor. The price has shot up twice since I purchased mine so it's not as hot of a deal anymore unfortunatley.

Good luck!

The GT25 with EPP pricing is $150 less than what I can currently buy a G25 for in a local retailer. I may give it a try.
post #190 of 2485 Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toran0x View Post

Gamers, what settings are you using for your xbox or ps3?

I started out with the James Cameron settings

http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us201...ealSettings#gt

But threw in the Avia disc to calibrate it a bit more. Ended up settling for

Contrast 87
Brightness 50

Rest same as in the link. Looks good in games for me. But wasn't able to get the white/black levels the same as on my old Bravia using the Avia disc.
post #191 of 2485 Old 01-04-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutdotnet View Post

That is actually incorrect. If you read a few more posts down Larry thought it WAS a G20 not GT series.

Thanks a lot Nutdotnet for pointing it out. I completely missed it.

Now the question is, should I even break in using D-Nice's slides when I do not even know the reference settings to apply once the break-in is complete ?
post #192 of 2485 Old 01-04-2011, 12:49 PM

I posted this in the Settings/Issues thread, but maybe someone with a GT could help me out. Here is my question:

I have a settings question for my 42GT25 I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

On my HDMI1 port, I have my PS3 hooked up, and I use my PS3 to play DVD/Blu-Ray movies as well as my video games.

I currently have that input set-up with the James Cameron settings here:
http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us201...ealSettings#gt

But I noticed that if you change the picture mode to GAME, there are a few settings that differ from the James Cameron settings. In game mode, the following settings differ:

Temp is set to Normal
Color Management is On
XV is Off
CATS is Off
Video NR is Weak
Blur Reduction is On

Is it okay to use the James Cameron settings for movies and video games, or should I set-up the second HDMI port with the GAME settings and switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing? I'm new to all this, so I wasn't sure what those settings actually affected.

Thanks for any help!
post #193 of 2485 Old 01-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Each picture mode has its own settings in the user menu. You entered the Cameron settings in Custom mode so they do not apply to any other picture mode. Those settings were supposedly made to enhance 3d mode. You can't take settings for game and expect them to look the same in custom or any other mode or vice versa.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #194 of 2485 Old 01-04-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 View Post

Each picture mode has its own settings in the user menu. You entered the Cameron settings in Custom mode so they do not apply to any other picture mode. Those settings were supposedly made to enhance 3d mode. You can't take settings for game and expect them to look the same in custom or any other mode or vice versa.

That's not what I mean. My concern is with the specific settings I listed in my post. Those are default settings for the GAME picture mode in the TV, and I was asking what those effect, because they are different in the James Cameron settings. I wasn't sure if those settings were specific to gaming for a reason, because I don't really know what they effect. I use the James Cameron settings when I watch Blu-Ray movies on my PS3, but I wasn't sure if I should game with those same exact settings, because of the settings differences. I hope that makes sense.
post #195 of 2485 Old 01-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaded07 View Post

That's not what I mean. My concern is with the specific settings I listed in my post. Those are default settings for the GAME picture mode in the TV, and I was asking what those effect, because they are different in the James Cameron settings. I wasn't sure if those settings were specific to gaming for a reason, because I don't really know what they effect. I use the James Cameron settings when I watch Blu-Ray movies on my PS3, but I wasn't sure if I should game with those same exact settings, because of the settings differences. I hope that makes sense.

OK, sorry about that. I don't game so I will leave this question up to the gamers who already know what the best settings are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #196 of 2485 Old 01-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaded07 View Post

Game mode is settings to reduce input lag when playing games. The main things that affect input lag are image processing, (NR, Blur, etc. turned on add slight delay)

The GT25 doesn't have much input lag with the Cameron settings that I've been aware of. I don't use game mode when I play at all and haven't noticed any added lag over my old lcd but have only played move games and dragon age so far.
post #197 of 2485 Old 01-04-2011, 05:50 PM

Read majority of all posts about the GT25 and picked up the 50 inch today for less than 900 dollars (no glasses or blu ray player). Seems like a good deal, agree?

Manufacturing date was September 2010.

Next I will start the D-Nice Calibration technique, most likely run it for 10 hours a day for 10 days (while at work). Do the calibration images need to be on SD card, or will a USB stick work? Couldn't find in the details if it was possible either way.

Thanks for the feedback!
post #198 of 2485 Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapeape View Post

Read majority of all posts about the GT25 and picked up the 50 inch today for less than 900 dollars (no glasses or blu ray player). Seems like a good deal, agree?

Manufacturing date was September 2010.

Next I will start the D-Nice Calibration technique, most likely run it for 10 hours a day for 10 days (while at work). Do the calibration images need to be on SD card, or will a USB stick work? Couldn't find in the details if it was possible either way.

Thanks for the feedback!

GT25 50" at less than $900 is a killer deal. I thought I paid the lowest price ($950 including shipping from Panasoic EPP. Upgraded from G25).

I got the box 2 hours back, unboxed it and breaking in right now. I have put the images on SD card. Looking at the images even for a minute makes me go mad. Can't wait to see the real picture

I am still waiting for the reference settings of GT25 to be posted in this forum (if at all). Planning to use James Cameron settings if the settings are not posted in another 5-6 days. What do you all suggest ?
post #199 of 2485 Old 01-04-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:

GT25 50" at less than $900 is a killer deal. I thought I paid the lowest price ($950 including shipping from Panasoic EPP. Upgraded from G25).

I got the box 2 hours back, unboxed it and breaking in right now. I have put the images on SD card. Looking at the images even for a minute makes me go mad. Can't wait to see the real picture

I am still waiting for the reference settings of GT25 to be posted in this forum (if at all). Planning to use James Cameron settings if the settings are not posted in another 5-6 days. What do you all suggest ?

I use the James Cameron settings for all my viewing and I think it looks great. I watched Inception today on blu-ray and it looked incredible. Tweaktv has numbers posted for THX mode:

Picture Mode: THX
Contrast: +29
Brightness: +58
Color: +44
Tint: -2
Sharpness: +25
Color Temp: Warm2
Color Mgmt.: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
Blur Reduction: Off
Screen Format: Full
HD Size: Size 2
HDMI/DVI Range: All to 16-235
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 Pulldown: Auto

Personally, I didn't like the look of the picture with those settings, but others might.
post #200 of 2485 Old 01-05-2011, 12:07 PM

Just wanted to say that I finally broke down on the 31st and ordered the 3D bundle package off Amazon for this TV, and it's on the way today! Having never set up an HD set before (been living off an old CRT last 5 years), is there anything in particular I should be aware of that might not be obvious?

My first plan is to, after hooking everything up (which may take a day as I scrounge up cables), switch to THX mode and set brightness and contrast to 50, then do light movie viewing along with the D-Nice recommended slides for the first 100 hours - can I use a USB memory stick for this? After that, if there are no settings posted here, I'll go for the Cameron settings or maybe a calibration disc.

Finally, as I don't have any receiver or anything, I just plan on using HDMI for my Xbox 360 and 3D Blu-ray player, component for my Wii, and, until I can upgrade to an HD-capable cable box in the next few weeks, the standard coaxial cable (which is all I have at the moment). Is there anything wrong or that I should be aware of for that setup? I'm an AV lightweight thus far. Exciting but scary at the same time!
post #201 of 2485 Old 01-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Just received my GT25 today. So far looks great.
There is a long dark brown band that runs across the bottom of the unit through the Panasonic label.
Is this a normal design feature? I don't see it any of the pictures online
post #202 of 2485 Old 01-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCollins View Post

Just received my GT25 today. So far looks great.
There is a long dark brown band that runs across the bottom of the unit through the Panasonic label.
Is this a normal design feature? I don't see it any of the pictures online

Yep, mine has that band as well. Just an accent feature. I hadn't really noticed it until I went and looked closer.

Dean
post #203 of 2485 Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

I see it in some pics now, I thought it was just a reflection, so I guess its normal. Kind of cheesy but ok
post #204 of 2485 Old 01-05-2011, 03:51 PM

My GT25 glasses arrive and COD in 3D is incredible. Just remember to switch your 3D settings to Side by Side or you'll see split screen.
post #205 of 2485 Old 01-05-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Is 2D pic quality on this model visibly better than G25? Or about the same? Supposedly Infinite Black Panel is same as VT25 and better than Neo PDP panel on G25. Is GT25 panel PDP as well but with better blacks? With recent EPP pricing, this was an awesome deal; will watch retail sales upcoming through Superbowl.
post #206 of 2485 Old 01-05-2011, 04:53 PM

Am awaiting delivery of my new 50" GT25 - one question regarding break-in period....are you guys using any special settings (like D-Nice's with 100 contrast and 50 brightness)? My plan was to put it in THX mode, set contrast and brightness to 50, then stick to blu-ray/netflix viewing along with Evangelos/D-Nice's slides on DVD or a USB stick (not sure which is better, never had a TV with USB before). And avoid gaming and 4:3 content as much as I can, of course.

Any other setting/break-in suggestions for the first 100 hours though, would be great, as my first plasma set (and really first "real" TV veer).
post #207 of 2485 Old 01-06-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonMonster View Post

Am awaiting delivery of my new 50" GT25 - one question regarding break-in period....are you guys using any special settings (like D-Nice's with 100 contrast and 50 brightness)? My plan was to put it in THX mode, set contrast and brightness to 50, then stick to blu-ray/netflix viewing along with Evangelos/D-Nice's slides on DVD or a USB stick (not sure which is better, never had a TV with USB before). And avoid gaming and 4:3 content as much as I can, of course.

Any other setting/break-in suggestions for the first 100 hours though, would be great, as my first plasma set (and really first "real" TV veer).

I just set my tv to THX and applied the CNET settings. I downloaded the slides from the break in thread on the main forum menu, put them on an SD card (you could use a USB too) and play them as a slide show during the day. I work from home, so after everyone leaves, I just run the slides. At night, we watch regular tv and avoid black bars as much as we can. I don't game, so that isn't an issue. I've seen very little IR so far and what I've seen doesn't seem to last more than 5 or 10 seconds after the picture changes. This is also how I broke in my Samsung C7000 before I returned it and picked up the GT25 and it worked fine on it as well.

Dean
post #208 of 2485 Old 01-06-2011, 11:46 AM

so I ordered my P50G25 on dec 20th form amazon... got an email that it shipped out on dec 22nd... I STILL have yet to receive it. I've called homedirect (who apparently handle this type of delivery for amazon) and they told me it didn't ship out til jan 4th!. Has anyone else ordered a TV from amazon? did you have these types of issues?

im almost inclined to cancel it and try to find the TV else where.... but at this point when do the 2011 models come out? will they be around the same price point?

very frustrated...
post #209 of 2485 Old 01-06-2011, 01:17 PM

I ordered a 50GT25 on December 31st, it shipped out January 2nd and is supposed to be delivered by the 10th.
Home Direct seems to have some nice tracking features on their site, I put in my phone number and it brought up the order status. They have also been giving me calls everyday to update the progress. Hopefully it gets here by the 10th like it says.
post #210 of 2485 Old 01-06-2011, 06:11 PM

Have been running the break-in slides for 48 hours now. And these are the things I have noticed.

1. The temperature around the TV is atleast 5-10" more. The heat does not affect my viewing as my couch is a good 8-feet away from the TV.

2. The infamous plasma "buzzing" is clearly audible in the first break-in slide in complete silence (full white). Since this is normal with the plamas, I am not worried much right now. And moreover, my refrigerator's noise is atleast 10 times more than this

I googled up for GT 25 calibration settings and hit upon this link

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1285749683

I have decided to try this out after the break-in and also James Cameron settings.

The break-in process is really testing my patience
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page