Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2096 Old 09-20-2010, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Gaco,

Is the option there to adjust the 3D depth in 2D-3D? i.e min, medium, max

Also do you know which 3D formats are supported on this set? i.e frame sequential, side by side...

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2096 Old 09-20-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balen View Post

Congrats on the TV. Couldn't see if you mentioned anything about wireless or internet connectivity. I'm currently using a LG BD390 with a 50" Panasonic 720p. I'm thinking that the px950 might replace most of the functions (like netflix, vudu, youtube, wireless connectivity, media server) other than the BluRay player. Any insight on that?

Thanks

Right now that department is pityful. It's got Picasa, Youtube and some weather thing. However I think I read somewhere that LG is working hard on a major update in this department, but to be honest I think I'll rather use my PS3/X360 for all those purposes anyway
But I can keep you updated if anything happens.. I do check firmware updates once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbaz View Post

Gaco,
would you mind taking anymore pics of your TV while its connected to you PC please..??
like have it displaying some text from this forum/thread and some graphics or pics to just see what the detail or sharpness looks like from a PC input..

I've tried. Album updated. The sharp one is LCD:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gandalfs...KPk--6ju8iTMQ#

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1289 View Post

Hi Gaco,

Is the option there to adjust the 3D depth in 2D-3D? i.e min, medium, max

Also do you know which 3D formats are supported on this set? i.e frame sequential, side by side...

Thanx

Yes there is. It's a scale of 0-20 where 10 is the default.

For 3D modes check the manual (click the "Manualer &"-tab then "english"): http://www.lg.com/dk/support/product...oduct-profile#

As far as I can see it pretty much takes it all
post #33 of 2096 Old 09-21-2010, 06:25 AM

Hi Gaco,

Can you take some more photo's of the set and a photo of the new wii type remote.
Also a video showing PS3 Motorstorm in 3D?

Cheers dude!
post #34 of 2096 Old 09-21-2010, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi Gaco,

Can you take some more photo's of the set and a photo of the new wii type remote.
Also a video showing PS3 Motorstorm in 3D?

Cheers dude!

The magic motion remote is not included in the European (or at least Nordic) model. Instead I got a useless secondary remote with just channels up/down, volume up/down and channel numbers and that's about it. But I wasn't going to use it anyway so it suits me fine.

I'm not sure what you hope to see with a video of PS3 Motorstorm? You can't see the 3D effect, only a double-picture or a dim version of Motorstorm?
post #35 of 2096 Old 09-22-2010, 02:04 AM

Ok no worry Gaco.

Is crosstalk issue in Motorstorm gone now, or is it still there?
post #36 of 2096 Old 09-22-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

In one particular level it's very much there, actually to the point of being distracting. In other levels, it's nowhere to be seen. Now I know that CT often occurs on boundaries between light and dark areas, and this explains most of it, but it's still pretty extreme, and also happens on some colored banners in that same "bad level", that I wonder if other factors are playing in, including the way the game is rendered. Too early to tell how much is the TV's fault, how much is everything else's, but I think I will get a more clear picture once I try out a 3D Bluray (which I will buy next week when I can afford it).

Really my biggest issue right now with this TV is input lag. It's not bad by any means, I simply think I have high standards after many years of heavy PC usage and PC gaming, but it certainly detracts from the overall experience of gaming for me so far. However I have yet to try the X360 VGA cable and more importantly objective input lag tests, which I will do as soon as I can find the time sometime this week. On the upside I'm very happy with the picture itself, no weird artifacts (clouding, line bleeding, what have you..) so this is certainly one kickass movie TV. As a casual gamer TV also fine I'm pretty sure. But for the sensitive gamer such as myself the input lag seems somewhat distracting in all games although to a varying degree. Looking very much foward to getting actual numbers on that input lag..
post #37 of 2096 Old 09-22-2010, 02:24 PM

Gaco, i'm so jealous of you right now it's not even funny. I've been researching this exact tv for about a month now and saw that it was just released on the LG website, but can't find any store here in Oklahoma that sells it yet, so i'm playing the waiting game. A couple of questions for you that might help me. Did it come with 3d glasses or a 3d package? ALso I have an xbox 360 too and i'm a mad gamer, did u ever get the 360 problem fixed and how do 1080p xbox 360 games look in the game mode and/or any mode? Amazing?
THanks,
Scott
post #38 of 2096 Old 09-22-2010, 02:31 PM

Hi Gaco, thanx for all of your replies, you are a tru star!

Just wanted to ask you if have you noticed any lag when playing PS3 games?

Also what is the name of the level in Motorstorm that you have experienced a lot of ghosting?

Thanx
post #39 of 2096 Old 09-22-2010, 04:33 PM

Does anyone know the release date for the US model?
post #40 of 2096 Old 09-22-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I couldn't stand not knowing anymore, so I just did an assload of input lag testing using flatpanels inputlag test (http://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.html). I basically tested the following:

All four HDMI inputs [game mode off] vs. fast PC LCD
All four HDMI unputs [game mode on] vs. fast PC LCD
*No statistical compelling evidence for difference on HDMI ports*
-> HDMI on Laptop LCD vs. fast PC LCD
VGA on Laptop LCD vs. fast PC LCD

and finally a bit of receiver testing:

HDMI through Denon AVR-3311 Receiver [video convert on]: vs. fast PC LCD
HDMI through Denon AVR-3111 Receiver [video convert off] vs. fast PC LCD

(video convert off = receiver sends the video signal through untouched. video convert on alters the signal by placing a graphical overlay that shows up when one go to menu, alters volume etc.)

Here are the results. Feel free to ask any questions if there's something you don't understand: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...xQ&hl=en#gid=0
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/gandalfs...VInputLagTest#

The "fast PC LOCD" is a Samsung P2770H 27" LCD. I'm apparently extremely sensitive to input lag and I can't feel ANYTHING on this monitor at all. In my book this is as good as an LCD. I'd guess it's 16 ms max although I don't know.

Summary: input lag in game mode is around 50 ms + the little bit from the Samsung P2770H, so probably around 60+ ms. Switching HDMI ports had no statistical convincing effect. Game mode makes almost no difference, in my averages it's around 2 ms from ~52 down to ~50! Not statistical certain but the difference is definitely small. VGA looks to be 4-5 ms faster in my laptop tests from ~66½ ms down to 62 ms - again with uncertainties and I cautiously conclude that HDMI is not more laggy than VGA. Although these results strictly only applies to the particular laptop I used, and cannot be sure they will apply to X360, I might save myself the VGA cable, or I may buy it. Not decided on that yet. But I now doubt that it's going to make any difference. At looks to make HDMI fully competitive and it's convenient not necessarily having to consider VGA.
It's hard to say exactly how much lag the Denon AVR-3311 receiver introduces, to be sure I'd have to have more data to reduce uncertainties, but around 2-4 ms without graphical overlay is a fair guess looking at the numbers. Having the graphical overlay on may make this 10-12 ms, again with some uncertainty on the numbers.

Although I am a university physics student and feel compelled to calculate real uncertainties, I'm too tired now and I'm actually too lazy hehe. Anyone else wanna do it is welcome to. All the data's in the spreadsheet.

So that's it for me. Around ~60 ms is too much for me. I've tried to live with it, but I feel it in every game. Even the ones that are theoretically as fast as they can be @ 60 FPS (Geometry Wars 2 and Zuma feels most snappy but it's still there - especially in GW2 is accurate reaction important). If every game was as fast as the fastest, GW2 and Zuma for example, I would have a chance of being able to live with it, but whenever games inherently have more input themself (which include just about any game, Halo ODST/Reach, God of War 3, Stardust HD just to mention a few - and then there's bad cases Motorstorm and Killzone 2!) it comes over the tipping point. The combined effect of the lag inherent in the game code AND the TV input lag makes a palpable impact. To some degree it is ruining the experience for me. Even the few times I've managed to sit down and play not thinking about, I still almost always end up noticing it (or not depending on the genre, but for the most part I do). I'm very sure that there's a large base of people who won't notice (consciously) or care, but it is too much for me.

To be clear it's not so bad that games are totally unplayable or unenjoyable. They are. But it annoys me adequately so, that I now know this is not a keeper for me. I have not decided whether to keep it until I find it's replacement then sell it with whatever loss or to return it while I still can - seller may deduct some value because it's all been opened etc. so it's a tough call. As I've said several times it's a fantastic TV for movies
post #41 of 2096 Old 09-22-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho89mtx View Post

Gaco, i'm so jealous of you right now it's not even funny. I've been researching this exact tv for about a month now and saw that it was just released on the LG website, but can't find any store here in Oklahoma that sells it yet, so i'm playing the waiting game. A couple of questions for you that might help me. Did it come with 3d glasses or a 3d package? ALso I have an xbox 360 too and i'm a mad gamer, did u ever get the 360 problem fixed and how do 1080p xbox 360 games look in the game mode and/or any mode? Amazing?
THanks,
Scott

Apart from the input lag, it is an awesome TV set. Yes a single pair of 3D glasses were included, which is good, however I was hoping for two. It does look absolutely amazing, yes. Imagine Geometry Wars 2. Perfect vibrant colors, fluid gameplay, awesome music, it really does look amazing. Let me stress that the input lag might feel acceptable to you, so you shouldn't rule this one out just because it's too much for me.

Quote:

Hi Gaco, thanx for all of your replies, you are a tru star!

Just wanted to ask you if have you noticed any lag when playing PS3 games?

Also what is the name of the level in Motorstorm that you have experienced a lot of ghosting?

Thanx

Yes doing God of War 3 demo I noticed noticable input lag between pressing a button and Kratos actually slashing, Motorstorm is even worse but there's quite a lot of input lag inherent in the game so it's not all the TV, Killzone 2 is unplayable, Stardust HD is fast enough to be fun, but I do feel it once in a while when I have to make quick turns (as I also do in GW2 although GW2 is a bit faster still than Stardust HD). The two best case scenarios I've tried, where notice the least amount of input lag is the PS3 main menu and Zuma (X360) gameplay.

The bad crosstalk level in Motorstorm 3D Rift is called "The Rift - Cracked Up". One of the good levels with no crosstalk is "The Edge - Oblivion", a gorgeous map on a coast that reminds me of highway 1 in CA, and pretty fun to play also.

After all this let me make clear that although I've concluded that this is not the TV set I will settle with for the next 8 years as I was hoping, the input lag is not so bad that I immediately plan to return it, but I'm also considering to keep it temporarily until I found the perfect 60" 3DTV for me that I make sure is better on input lag (my requirement is now about <=35 ms). Games are playable. I just feel somewhat disconnected from the experience despite the TV size because of the input lag. I am an old PC gamer though and I've always been using a <20 ms monitor so I'm simply not conditioned to the amounts of input lag in both modern TV sets and modern console games.
post #42 of 2096 Old 09-22-2010, 06:04 PM

i'm new to the tv tech talk, what is "input lag" anyways? Is that when u switch inputs and it takes time to initiate or something?
post #43 of 2096 Old 09-22-2010, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

And for anyone who want to know, I've still not seen any retention or burn-in, even though I've not been particularly careful (X360 and PS3 dims the screen after a few minutes anyway). I really think that LG has totally minimized these things on this set from what I've seen so far, but we'll know for sure when flatpanelshd gets their review out in a few weeks..

Quote:

i'm new to the tv tech talk, what is "input lag" anyways? Is that when u switch inputs and it takes time to initiate or something?

It's the amount of time from the moment you press a botton, move the mouse or in any way create an input signal for the TV to proces, until the time some actually happens on the screen. We're talking about splitseconds here, but even small delays can be "felt" in the controls.
post #44 of 2096 Old 09-22-2010, 07:49 PM

Sad to hear you are planning on selling this set, I was not aware that plasma's would have any input lag due to their very fast response times. Guess I was wrong...

Have you thought about going with Panasonic's VT20 range, I've heard many times that input lag is almost non existent.
post #45 of 2096 Old 09-22-2010, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco View Post

I couldn't stand not knowing anymore, so I just did an assload of input lag testing using flatpanels inputlag test (http://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.html). I basically tested the following:

All four HDMI inputs [game mode off] vs. fast PC LCD
All four HDMI unputs [game mode on] vs. fast PC LCD
*No statistical compelling evidence for difference on HDMI ports*
-> HDMI on Laptop LCD vs. fast PC LCD
VGA on Laptop LCD vs. fast PC LCD

and finally a bit of receiver testing:

HDMI through Denon AVR-3311 Receiver [video convert on]: vs. fast PC LCD
HDMI through Denon AVR-3111 Receiver [video convert off] vs. fast PC LCD

(video convert off = receiver sends the video signal through untouched. video convert on alters the signal by placing a graphical overlay that shows up when one go to menu, alters volume etc.)

Here are the results. Feel free to ask any questions if there's something you don't understand: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...xQ&hl=en#gid=0

The "fast PC LOCD" is a Samsung P2770H 27" LCD. I'm apparently extremely sensitive to input lag and I can't feel ANYTHING on this monitor at all. In my book this is as good as an LCD. I'd guess it's 16 ms max although I don't know.

Summary: input lag in game mode is around 50 ms + the little bit from the Samsung P2770H, so probably around 60+ ms. Switching HDMI ports had no statistical convincing effect. Game mode makes almost no difference, in my averages it's around 2 ms from ~52 down to ~50! Not statistical certain but the difference is definitely small. VGA looks to be 4-5 ms faster in my laptop tests from ~66½ ms down to 62 ms - again with uncertainties and I cautiously conclude that HDMI is not more laggy than VGA. Although these results strictly only applies to the particular laptop I used, and cannot be sure they will apply to X360, I might save myself the VGA cable, or I may buy it. Not decided on that yet. But I now doubt that it's going to make any difference. At looks to make HDMI fully competitive and it's convenient not necessarily having to consider VGA.
It's hard to say exactly how much lag the Denon AVR-3311 receiver introduces, to be sure I'd have to have more data to reduce uncertainties, but around 2-4 ms without graphical overlay is a fair guess looking at the numbers. Having the graphical overlay on may make this 10-12 ms, again with some uncertainty on the numbers.

Although I am a university physics student and feel compelled to calculate real uncertainties, I'm too tired now and I'm actually too lazy hehe. Anyone else wanna do it is welcome to. All the data's in the spreadsheet.

So that's it for me. Around ~60 ms is too much for me. I've tried to live with it, but I feel it in every game. Even the ones that are theoretically as fast as they can be @ 60 FPS (Geometry Wars 2 and Zuma feels most snappy but it's still there - especially in GW2 is accurate reaction important). If every game was as fast as the fastest, GW2 and Zuma for example, I would have a chance of being able to live with it, but whenever games inherently have more input themself (which include just about any game, Halo ODST/Reach, God of War 3, Stardust HD just to mention a few - and then there's bad cases Motorstorm and Killzone 2!) it comes over the tipping point. The combined effect of the lag inherent in the game code AND the TV input lag makes a palpable impact. To some degree it is ruining the experience for me. Even the few times I've managed to sit down and play not thinking about, I still almost always end up noticing it (or not depending on the genre, but for the most part I do). I'm very sure that there's a large base of people who won't notice (consciously) or care, but it is too much for me.

To be clear it's not so bad that games are totally unplayable or unenjoyable. They are. But it annoys me adequately so, that I now know this is not a keeper for me. I have not decided whether to keep it until I find it's replacement then sell it with whatever loss or to return it while I still can - seller may deduct some value because it's all been opened etc. so it's a tough call. As I've said several times it's a fantastic TV for movies

Hey Gaco can you post or send a picture of one your tests so I can add it to the plasma input lag thread
post #46 of 2096 Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:

Sad to hear you are planning on selling this set, I was not aware that plasma's would have any input lag due to their very fast response times. Guess I was wrong...

Have you thought about going with Panasonic's VT20 range, I've heard many times that input lag is almost non existent.

I'm not sure, but i think the response time of the panel has nothing to do with input lag. Isn't input lag caused by the imageprocessing the tv does?
post #47 of 2096 Old 09-23-2010, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

TV manufacturers clearly needs to have more focus on input lag in the game mode. Console games always introduce some lag to the games in varying degrees compared to PC, we do not need the screen themselves to delay the input reaction process further. There is simply too little focus on this IMO, both from the manufacturers side and in the public/media.

The thing that keeps me from getting a panny is mostly that the appropriate size is not available in my country. We have 50" then we have 65". Well done Panasonic, well done... Furthermore the panny plasma tend to buzz more than I find acceptable and their design is among the worst in the highend market. Samsung's highend plasmas are too for me to fit in at 63" (first step down in size is again 50") and they also buzz too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

Hey Gaco can you post or send a picture of one your tests so I can add it to the plasma input lag thread

Sure. I'll upload the whole bunch after I finish up renaming them so they can all be in a single folder = a single picasa album. Then you can crosscheck my spreadsheet all you want and repost the photos you find relevant (I'd suggest all four of the direct-to-TV HDMI ports and then the average - 50 ms)

EDIT: Photos are now up with all relevant tags added: http://picasaweb.google.com/gandalfs...VInputLagTest#

Quote:
Originally Posted by sypack View Post

I'm not sure, but i think the response time of the panel has nothing to do with input lag. Isn't input lag caused by the imageprocessing the tv does?

I don't think he suggested that? Input lag consists of the lag due to the signal processing in the electronics plus the response time in the panel. Presumably the former accounts for a much larger portion of the total input lag than the latter, especially on plasmas.
post #48 of 2096 Old 09-23-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:

And for anyone who want to know, I've still not seen any retention or burn-in, even though I've not been particularly careful (X360 and PS3 dims the screen after a few minutes anyway). I really think that LG has totally minimized these things on this set from what I've seen so far, but we'll know for sure when flatpanelshd gets their review out in a few weeks..

It's the amount of time from the moment you press a botton, move the mouse or in any way create an input signal for the TV to proces, until the time some actually happens on the screen. We're talking about splitseconds here, but even small delays can be "felt" in the controls.

man, I wish I could actually experience what your talking about with an xbox 360 game before I buy it. Can u post a video of your response time lag while playing an xbox 360 game?
post #49 of 2096 Old 09-23-2010, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

man, I wish I could actually experience what your talking about with an xbox 360 game before I buy it. Can u post a video of your response time lag while playing an xbox 360 game?

Yes I just might do that when I get the time. However it's something that's more felt than seen. But in some games and situations it can probably be seen in a video. I might record different games.

But it is tricky.. it's going to bother some people, like myself, and not bother other.

On another note I must say how impressed I am with both analogue and digital TV, both SD and HD. It really does a good job of representing any kind of picture (although digital is greatly to be preferred for sure). Motion is so natural too, fluid but not too much so. Despite it's faults, this TV has some serious qualities.
post #50 of 2096 Old 09-24-2010, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 79
You guys are going to hate me.

I won the 50" inch version of this display last
night from LG at Cedia and hoping to negotiate
paying the difference in price for the 60"

LG threw a party last night at their booth and
gave away a lavish 3D prize package that included
the 50" THX Certified display, 3D Blu-ray player,
eyewear and software (movies). A very impressive
package that I was lucky enough to win. Really have
to thank the people at LG.

In any case, it could not have come at a better time.
I was about a month away from pulling the trigger
on the Panasonic 65" VT25. It is rated the best plasma
out there -- very close to the Kuro brand. For the past
three years I have been following the technology very
closely at Panasonic and really had my heart set on
buying that display.

Winning this LG kind of puts a dent in those plans,
though certainly, I am not complaining one bit. I have
to say that prior to winning the display I spent some time
looking at the 3D picture it produced in THX mode a the
LG booth and was extremely impressed. In fact, I told
the salesman that the quality of the 3D seemed to be
better than the Panasonic. Now whether it was the content
(IMAX Under the Sea 3D) or the glasses (which are nicer
than Panny's glasses) I don't know. All I can say is that
the display produced a very clean, fluent 3D experience
with no crosstalk. The display was really "Wowing" the
crowd that attended the party.

I am still interested to hear how this display stacks up
against the Panasonic series, and certainly, Gaco has
provided some positive impressions about his experience
with this display. I can imagine with all the extensive
tweaks that need to be done for THX certification that
this display should be representative of the higher
standards you would expect from that company. My
biggest concern is black levels and I am really interested
to see how deep they are on the LG display.

I look forward to talking more about the LG PX950 and
hearing everyone's impressions.

Once again, I really have to thank the folks from LG
for such a generous prize package. Being that I was
ready to buy a display on my own I don't think there
was anyone at the party who would have been more
appreciative of winning this display than I was.
post #51 of 2096 Old 09-24-2010, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations! It's nice to have a fellow owner so that I have someone to share the experience. I'm looking very much foward to seeing a 3D Bluray myself. Also looking foward to hearing your impressions and findings too!
post #52 of 2096 Old 09-24-2010, 09:51 AM

u guys are making me so jealous right now. I'm really close on pulling the plug on this tv and having a local electronics place ship one to the closest store and getting it, but Gaco has me nervous about the input lag without every playing it for myelf and knowing what he's talking about. I'm not rich like some of you guys in here, so this tv will probably be like my current tv, which was around for 5 years before I got a new one. I just don't want to shell out that kind of money and than later find out that my xbox 360 games are unplayable to me on there
post #53 of 2096 Old 09-24-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

u guys are making me so jealous right now. I'm really close on pulling the plug on this tv and having a local electronics place ship one to the closest store and getting it, but Gaco has me nervous about the input lag without every playing it for myelf and knowing what he's talking about. I'm not rich like some of you guys in here, so this tv will probably be like my current tv, which was around for 5 years before I got a new one. I just don't want to shell out that kind of money and than later find out that my xbox 360 games are unplayable to me on there

As I have made clear, games or not unplayable by any means. Certain games and genres are just less enjoyable
post #54 of 2096 Old 09-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:

As I have made clear, games or not unplayable by any means. Certain games and genres are just less enjoyable

I wish I can see what your talking about. I play basketball, MMA, and race car games mainly on xbox 360, will those be affected? Also is there a fix like in firmware for this problem or will it be permenent?
post #55 of 2096 Old 09-24-2010, 04:16 PM

Does anyone have the release date for this set in the US? I cant find it anywhere on the net.
post #56 of 2096 Old 09-24-2010, 04:41 PM

Hey Gaco I really like your TV stand. Whats the scoop on that?
post #57 of 2096 Old 09-24-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrush1 View Post

Does anyone have the release date for this set in the US? I cant find it anywhere on the net.

if you call LG, like I did, they say it's already out and Best Buy can ship it to a store if you want, other than that, I think Sears and another place are suppose to get it soon too, hope that helps
post #58 of 2096 Old 09-25-2010, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I wish I can see what your talking about. I play basketball, MMA, and race car games mainly on xbox 360, will those be affected? Also is there a fix like in firmware for this problem or will it be permenent?

I think First Person Shooters and fast-paced arcade games such as Geometry Wars 2 will be most affected. In basketball sports and racing you have a greater sense of prediction so that you can adjust for any slight input lag when you play, which will automatically be a habit. I'm honestly not sure you'd notice very much in those games.

On a positive note:
When doing the input lag tests I restarted all of the video settings I had made when I set game mode. Yesterday I discovered (or rediscovered) that "Edge Enchancement" is enabled by default in game mode. It may had been placebo, but Halo: ODST felt a little more responsive after turned it off. I was actually enjoying my Halo: ODST experience a lot more yesterday than I was the first time around some days ago. EH off improvd input lag? Some other unknown factor improved input lag? Nothing improved and I'm just starting to adapt and get better with the analogue sticks again? I don't know yet, but I will do some objective testing again with Game Mode + Edge Enhancement off. At least there is a slim hope of a little improvement in the input lag department now

I don't know if it's firmware fixable, but I would think it's hardware related. Still can't rule it out and I'm certainly going to put a notice to LG.

I really hope to see some improvement in the tests because I was seeing DVE HD Basics by Joe Kane yesterday and I almost decided to definitely keep this set until 60" 4k OLEDs hit the market because of it. I so much liked the picture in total darkness. I have to study a good deal today but I will have a little time for some more Halo ODST gaming and I will try and further assess input lag now after EH got turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrush1 View Post

Hey Gaco I really like your TV stand. Whats the scoop on that?

It's a lovely TV stand. Actually I have been procrastinating a video review of it for quite some time now, I might take it up this weekend after all
post #59 of 2096 Old 09-25-2010, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 79
Gaco,

You briefly touched upon this prior, but I am
interested to know how deep the black levels
are on this display. Does it produce deep blacks?
post #60 of 2096 Old 09-25-2010, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

Gaco,

You briefly touched upon this prior, but I am
interested to know how deep the black levels
are on this display. Does it produce deep blacks?

That's hard to say, I'm not a professional.

I wouldn't call them "deep blacks" according to my expectations (which were based on.. well nothing ) but I'd say they are IMHO "deep enough". Rasmus from flatpanelshd measured the PK950 which this is based on 0,05 cd/m2 before calibration and 0,04 cd/m2 after. AFAIK this is on level with the Panasonic G20. Bear in mind that this is the PX950 not the PK950 but I would expect them to perform similar. I won't be making any measurements because I don't have the equipment, but Flatpanelshd and other test sites will soon be measuring the black levels objectively

But what is more important to me is the uniformity of picture. If I look really really closely I can see some very very minor non-uniformities on total blacks screens, but to the point of being invisible and only ever in TOTAL darkness, I have not noticed this and gotten distracted by it during films, and as I said it's on the visible limit and not visible 99% of the time, not even when looking for it. However what is very visible is that it does have a tendency to produce white intensity according to how much white is displayed (little white = high intensity, totally white screen = lower intensity for example), but it's simply one of the tradeoff's of plasma. I know that Panasonic does a little better in this area, but it's still a limitation of technology as I've understood it. It's not too bad because totally adequately white screens are pretty rare. The deeper blacks are certainly more important than consistent and pure whites IMO. Both will be good to have, but we're looking at OLED for that and that is many years down the road before affordable 60" OLEDs will appear

But I have actually only really watched one film on this TV yet, Yes Man, but tonight I will watch The Dark Knight and perhaps another film, I may notice more high points and low points, and will be posting my impressions here afterwards.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page