Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 2097 Old 02-13-2012, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

I'm having some issues with 24p playback of my Blu-Ray Titles. I've swapped HDMI cables and 2 different Sony Blu-Ray players and problem is duplicated, so it must be indicative of the handling of the 24p on my PX950.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiaz View Post

Happened to me too. I think I removed the 24p function from my PS3 and it went away. I put the setting back on the next day and the flicker was still gone and has been ever since. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

Tech just came by and i was able to duplicate the flashing issues i've ben having with my Blu-Ray playback 1080/24p

Anyone has been able to display 23.976Hz properly on this tv? I couldnt, I get 23.973 on 23Hz mode, and 23.997 on 24Hz mode, what produces an annoying stutter (and frame drop) every 6min. I have an AMD HD6950 and tried everything. At first I thought it could be the gpu, but Im start thinking it may be the tv is faulty handling proper refresh rates for 24p content (24.000Hz & 23.976Hz)

If anyone tried out and got 23.976 properly, I could inmediately rule out the tv as the root of the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2097 Old 02-15-2012, 12:38 PM

I always shoot at 23.976 and have no problem screening it. Works just fine
post #2073 of 2097 Old 02-16-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubenator View Post

I always shoot at 23.976 and have no problem screening it. Works just fine

People sight are very subjective, and visual percepcion may vary from each person. Is for that that exits magnitude, so we can have a closer objective reference.

I can ask my mother how good she sees dvd material with 3:2 pulldown and she'll tell me she has no problem screening it and that it works fine. I know you get the point, right?

So, did you check or verified the real exact refresh rate that your player/GPU/video device outputs to your tv? I check with madvr video filter, but may be other ways.
post #2074 of 2097 Old 02-18-2012, 04:53 PM

Well, In that case you should ask your mother again. You may like her answer better then mine... I know you get the point, right?

BTW, I forgot to mention that I am TV and Film professional
post #2075 of 2097 Old 05-21-2012, 01:39 PM

TV's dead after 16 months of ownership... piece of ****. Right outside the warrenty, sold it to a repair shop for 60$ and bought a Panasonic 50UT50, better blacks too..

tv tuns on, and then shuts itself down.. probably some kinda psu problem.
post #2076 of 2097 Old 06-25-2012, 04:16 AM

same thing happened to me on my PX950. Me turning it on and off for several times did it.
post #2077 of 2097 Old 06-30-2012, 02:25 PM

Does anyone know where I can get 2d glasses for this tv now? Are LG the only ones that make glasses for this tv? I
post #2078 of 2097 Old 06-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hey everyone!

I asked these question several dozen pages ago, but under vBulletin,
but I just forgot to come here and I don't want search around to see
if there was an answer.

Two issues with my LG PX950:

1. Although I turned off the energy saver function, the TV starts to dim
on occasion as if it is adjusting itself to outside lighting conditions. Not
fond of this, and trying to find a way to make it stop adjusting itself.

2. Every time I watch a 3D movie, the picture automatically puts itself
in VIVID mode instead of the last mode that it was actually in.

Are any of these issues common to you folks and is there a fix?
post #2079 of 2097 Old 10-23-2012, 11:56 AM

My screen has also just started to dim after a while of being on. I checked my power settings and have changed nothing. It will refresh if you change channel on satelite or touch a menu on the tv. Any feedback on what the issue is? My interweb searching skilz are failing me. Thanks in advance!
post #2080 of 2097 Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 AM

I purchased a px950 in 2010 and over the years watched 6600hr of content.
I have noticed the visual quality of the picture has gotten slightly muted and flat the last few months. I decided to get it recalibrated I used 2 different methods to calibrate my px950, the THX ipad app, you will need the AV adaptor with hdmi to use this calibration tool. Also just a note it only calibrates in 1080/60p.The THX app is nice and easy to use. Spears & Munsil bluray HD Benchmark 2nd Edition calibration with 3D with PS3 I found better results with this. Remember without a pro doing the calibration I recommend trying these tools.These are the results listed below, remember each person and tv is not the same it's what you like that matters.
I really like this new calibration on my px950, the picture looks better then ever gave the tv new life.
The 3D blu=ray content looks better as well, and a trick to use your own calibration and not the four picture setting the tv only lets you choose, is before you go into watching a 3D movie put it on day or night ISF then hit the AV/MODE to THX start the 3D movie when in 3D view hit the AV/MODE cycle back to off and your ISF calibration will be set.

Lg px950 thx unlock code 8741 use the THX picture mode with only these changes to the picture mode. You can use these changes for each Hdmi input 1-4

Hdmi input 1. PS3 1080p/24p or 60p content looks best.
THX Cinema user settings.
Aspect ratio justscan
Energy saving off
Picture mode THX Cinema
contrast 78
Brightness 54
H sharpness 50
V sharpness 50
Color 55
Tint 0
Expert control
Dynamic contrast off
Noise reduction off
Gamma medium
black level low
Film mode on
Color gamut standard
Edge enhancer off
xvYCC auto
Expert pattern off
Color filter off
Color temperature warm
20 point IRE leave THX setting.

Spears & Munsil bluray HD Benchmark 2nd Edition calibration with 3D.
PS3 video settings.
BD/DVD-Cinema Conversion Video
BD/DVD-Video Output Format(HDMI) Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr.
1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI) On
PS3 Display Settings.
Cross Color Reduction Filter off
RGB Full Range (HDMI) limited
Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White On
Deep Color (HDMI) Automatic

This disc works wonders for getting the most out of your tv display I highly recommend.

Aspect ratio justscan
Energy saving off
Picture mode isf Day
contrast 92
Brightness 56
H sharpness 50
V sharpness 50
Color 60
Tint 0
Expert control
Dynamic contrast off
Noise reduction off
Gamma medium
black level low or (auto) 4k content only
Film mode off
Color gamut standard
Edge enhancer off
xvYCC auto or (on) 4k content only
Expert pattern off
Color filter off
Color temperature warm
2 point method default all 0 ....just a FYI this can only be adjusted with professional instruments.
Color management system
All 0

Aspect ratio justscan
Energy saving off
Picture mode isf Night
contrast 73
Brightness 54
H sharpness 50
V sharpness 50
Color 60
Tint 0
Expert control
Dynamic contrast off
Noise reduction off
Gamma medium
black level low or (auto) 4k content only
Film mode off
Color gamut standard
Edge enhancer off
xvYCC auto or (on) 4k content only
Expert pattern off
Color filter off
Color temperature warm
2 point method default all 0 ....just a FYI this can only be adjusted with professional instruments.
Color management system
All 0

Last edited by Zombie Jesus; 08-16-2014 at 09:33 AM.
post #2081 of 2097 Old 12-15-2013, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I recently was redoing a room in my house and moved my 60PX950 to another room. When I moved back and hooked it up, none of the HDMI ports were working, although I can confirm that the component inputs, USB, and cable input are all working. I have tried multiple cables and all 4 hdmi inputs and I still get a "no signal" message, although the TV recognizes which port is plugged in. I also reset the tv to factory defaults from the options menu, although I'm not sure if there is any other hard reset I could try. Any suggestions for going through LG support or replacing the board (I assume it's the input board that's fried)?
post #2082 of 2097 Old 01-11-2014, 06:48 PM

I've had my px950 since late 2010, and my wife's been watching non full screen SD TV over the past 6 months.

Now when watching full screen tv I can see two light vertical bands/lines where the SD shows would normally be contained on the screen. Any secrets I can try to remove these retained lines :/....it's super distracting now that I've noticed it frown.gif

The white as color screen IR treatment that is built into the t doesn't seem to be working, granted I only ran them for 10 mins.

Would running the full screen color cards possibly work? I've got the extended warranty and might just take this back and get something new if I car figure it out!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!
post #2083 of 2097 Old 05-17-2014, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got my 60PX950 in December of 2010 and while watching TV recently it locked up. The picture on the TV (from COAX input) was frozen and it was also overlayed with the "no signal detected" box. I turned it off and turned it back on and now I can't get any picture at all. I don't appear to have sound, but I don't know for sure because I had the internal sound disabled (using a receiver). It seems to respond to remote commands (blue light comes on), but again there is no picture, no sound through my receiver either. Don't know if I should open it up and check the fuse and if it's blown go ahead and get a Y-board or what? Any advice...
post #2084 of 2097 Old 05-18-2014, 06:45 AM

post #2085 of 2097 Old 05-18-2014, 10:15 PM

When you turn the tv on and then hit the menu button on the remote, does a menu come up? Have you tried unplugging the tv, hitting the power button on the remote (you'll hear a relay go off and then nothing happens), and waiting a few minutes before plugging it back in and testing?
post #2086 of 2097 Old 05-20-2014, 12:33 PM

Yep, I've tried all of that. I have a thread at badcaps.net about this issue. Someone helped me diagnose it as either the main pcb or the 3D board. I took the back off, disconnected the ribbon cable from the 3D board to the CTRL board and shorted two pins on the CTRL board. When I turn on the TV with it like that it starts up a test cycle and displays pattens (so I know Y/Z sustains and buffers are good and the CTRL board is good). That leaves only the other two boards. I'm replacing the main PCB (not cheap) and hoping it fixes it. If I get the main PCB in and it's not fixed, then the 3D board is bad... (possible in addition to the main). So I have to find one of those which doesn't seem to be easy.
post #2087 of 2097 Old 05-21-2014, 06:41 AM

Ok it looks like you are off to a good start. Did you also try pressing the physical reset button on the main input board? And when you say main PCB do you mean input board or the smaller board with the processor on it towards the middle back of the tv?
post #2088 of 2097 Old 05-21-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfanatic1 View Post

Ok it looks like you are off to a good start. Did you also try pressing the physical reset button on the main input board? And when you say main PCB do you mean input board or the smaller board with the processor on it towards the middle back of the tv?

I mean the main pcb which has all the inputs on it. I'm not sure which smaller board you are talking about as there are two in the middle, the one closes the main (input) pcb is the 3d/2d board and the one to the left of it is the CTRL board which I tested as good by shorting the pins and putting the TV into test mode. I don't see a reset button on mine, where is it: http://i.imgur.com/fvfWVo8.jpg

Here's a picture showing main pcb (with inputs), the 3D/2D board, and the CTRL board. The big yellow is the power supply: http://i.imgur.com/tQg0Hrc.jpg

Here are the pins I shorted on the CTRL board after disconnecting the cable from the 3D/2D board: http://www.badcaps.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=86675&d=1400449643
post #2089 of 2097 Old 05-21-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreshour View Post

I mean the main pcb which has all the inputs on it. I'm not sure which smaller board you are talking about as there are two in the middle, the one closes the main (input) pcb is the 3d/2d board and the one to the left of it is the CTRL board which I tested as good by shorting the pins and putting the TV into test mode. I don't see a reset button on mine, where is it: http://i.imgur.com/fvfWVo8.jpg

Here's a picture showing main pcb (with inputs), the 3D/2D board, and the CTRL board. The big yellow is the power supply: http://i.imgur.com/tQg0Hrc.jpg

Here are the pins I shorted on the CTRL board after disconnecting the cable from the 3D/2D board: http://www.badcaps.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=86675&d=1400449643

The reset button is the little green button circled in the attached image. You are right about the two boards, and I don't know enough about the difference between the two to say. I recently had to replace the input board on my PX950, although the only thing wrong with it was all the HDMI ports had died. Good luck and when pressing the reset hold it for a few seconds and let me know if that does anything.

post #2090 of 2097 Old 05-21-2014, 08:13 PM

Do I do it with TV on or off? Anything I need to know when swapping mine out? I'm a little scared... Where did you get your main PCB from?
post #2091 of 2097 Old 05-21-2014, 08:19 PM

Reset button didn't do anything, but I noticed theres also a reset button on the 3D/2D board and it didn't help anything either... Hope pressing hasn't screwed anything up for when the board gets here.. smile.gif
post #2092 of 2097 Old 05-22-2014, 06:22 AM

I definitely had tried the reset on the input board when my tv was on (tv blinked and rebooted or something) although I would suspect it would also work off. I'm sure it won't mess anything up- you just lose settings obv. I got mine from ebay, which wasn't super cheap, but better than paying a 3rd party repair service. The main board swap wasn't too bad, but just be careful handling the ribbon cables and always pull out the plugs by the sides of the white casing rather than by tugging on the wires themselves. Do you know what is the function of each of the two main boards? I'd suspect it has to be either the input or one of those two main boards, but I hope you're right with the guess on the input board.
post #2093 of 2097 Old 05-22-2014, 06:49 AM

I got mine from ebay as well (or am getting it). I paid $180. I hope like heck it fixes it... Should have it by next week.
post #2094 of 2097 Old 05-27-2014, 09:46 PM

Good and bad news. The new main input board fixed my TV. Bad news, I'm not sure for how long. The piece circled on this image is not attached to the new board, separated in shipment I guess. I'm thinking about trying to solder it on, but afraid of ****ing up the board... Not sure what to do. I don't even know how it's working without that...

post #2095 of 2097 Old 05-28-2014, 02:39 PM

Well I'm glad you at least isolated the board at this point! At this point you have three options:
  • Contact the seller and organize an exchange
  • Solder the electronic piece back on
  • Press the broken piece back lightly against the board and put electrical tape over it to ensure contact-- this is if pressing it looks like it will maintain proper conact

The first option is ideal, and the second is definitely ok if you believe it will make an ok connection with the board, but soldering shouldn't be too hard and as long as you don't melt the other components around it (it's hard to tell from the picture how much room you have to work with based on the picture). If you are doing this route, make sure you look at the orientation of the component in case it falls off the board in the process.
post #2096 of 2097 Old 05-29-2014, 07:06 AM

When I put the piece on the board the contacts are definitely touching. I ended up using hot glue to hold it down after doing some research on the safety of hot glue and PCB board components. I know hot glue is not a long term solution but it should work for a few years or more in which this TV will probably be replaced... I seriously considered soldering it on, and I probably could have done a quick touch solder, but my gun tip is pretty big and I'm not sure I can get it in where it needs to go... Either way, if contacts are touching and the hot glue works the TV should run for a while (barring any other issues) and if not, I'm sure the board will eventually fail since this component is not on the board.
post #2097 of 2097 Old 07-30-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfanatic1 View Post
I recently was redoing a room in my house and moved my 60PX950 to another room. When I moved back and hooked it up, none of the HDMI ports were working, although I can confirm that the component inputs, USB, and cable input are all working. I have tried multiple cables and all 4 hdmi inputs and I still get a "no signal" message, although the TV recognizes which port is plugged in. I also reset the tv to factory defaults from the options menu, although I'm not sure if there is any other hard reset I could try. Any suggestions for going through LG support or replacing the board (I assume it's the input board that's fried)?
Same thing just happened to me yesterday on my 60px950. My tv is mounted over the fireplace so I'm going to have to take it down and try the reset switch on the board like you suggested. What I don't understand is everything else works on the board but the HDMI inputs. My wifi usb card works and I can watch netflix or youtube through netcast all day long. I'm wondering if there is an independent capacitor or some component within the board that makes all the hdmi inputs go bad.

I'm not having any luck finding a new input board on ebay at the moment unless my search inquiry is bad or something.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page