AVS Forum banner

The Official LG PX950 3DTV Owner's Discussion Thread

306K views 2K replies 208 participants last post by  nobb1 
#1 ·
By suggestion I'll start up the owner's thread for the LG PX950 series TV

I myself have the 60" version. I will update photos later, but I've not come to that.

To start it off I'll copy-paste my initial impressions from the other PX950 thread:

First impressions:

Picture quality is awesome. Colors and motion are fantastic. Viewing angles, great. Very impressive picture. Will test 3D more extensively but first impressions on 3D is that there is crosstalk sometimes although not at critical levels, but there's virtually no "blinking" as I've seen on other (especially LCD) 3DTV's.

Only the black level has left me somewhat unimpressed. But it's not enough to ruin the great impression of the picture. I'm really, really sensitive to buzzing and I'm very happy to find that buzz is absolutely at a minimum and totally a non-issue! This was one of the risks I took by going plasma and I'm very happy about how this turned out.

Big disappointment: input lag, even in game mode! There's more than what I would've liked. I tried connecting my Xbox360 directly to the TV and it seemed to help a little bit so I need to find a way to disable all video processing on the receiver. PS3 oddly displays virtually no input lag in menus (and this is HDMI->Receiver->TV), have yet to try games. I noticed input lag in Sonic the Hedgehog and Geometry Wars. Will play more around with connections and settings to see if I can reduce input lag.

Will upload photos later.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a very important update. It turns out that the semi-severe input lag might not be not inherent to the TV, but the Xbox360. I've found this out simply by compared how the dashboard menu on the X360 respond compared to the PS3 menu. PS3 is way faster to react and it's even going through the receiver first (I tried connecting the X360 directly to the TV).

I'm not 100% certain about this, but it seems the only explanation for the apparent essentially inputlag-free PS3 menu. This is a HUGE relief to me.

I will try to connect the X360 via component instead of HDMI as soon as possible, however I don't know how long it will take me to locate a component cable set. If it is indeed faster, I might end up using component for the video and HDMI down to the receiver for audio. A clumsy solution, yes, but if it is indeed a solution I can live with it and possibly buy a universal remote from Logitech to remove the hassle of having to switch on both TV and Receiver when using the X360. However I still have not tested this, but I do suspect the HDMI connection for the lag.

I'm using a brand new X360 S 250GB model btw.

#6 ·
Wow, thanks for the pics! That box is huge, and one side of it looks quite concave, surprised the panel was intact looking at the box. Anyway thanks for taking the time to post pics and give us your impressions, looking forward to more. Can you keep an eye on IR (image retention) please and let me know if you see much. Are you running it in on reduced contrast / brightness etc btw?

Cheers

#8 ·
Yeah I was a little bit worried when I opened it as well

There was just a huge gap on either side of the screen so no worries. Too bad about the packaging though for when I move out at some point...

The TV actually looks smaller than it is on the pictures. Notice how thin it is but it's VERY heavy

I'm not really running any one profile, trying out a bunch for now, mostly switching between Game Mode and THX Cinema.

I'm really, really happy with the set so far. And I who thought I'd be sure to go LCD hehe.. I'm really glad for this plasma. No floating blacks, banding colors, no visible plasma noise at my viewing range (2,3 m and that's a 60" screen!), no buzzing, pure enough white for me. Funny enough the only thing I'm slightly disappointed with is the black level. But it really is a very good picture for blurays!

Everyone interested in this should give some seriously consideration to size; 60" is simply awesome, gives a very cinematic feel to it.

Gonna try X360 through VGA and see if I can reduce it's input lag levels to that of the HDMI-connected PS3 sometime next week. Whenwhile I'll do some 3D testing in the weekend

#9 ·
Gaco, how about PC input..?? is the picture sharp detailed or fuzzy, any overscan or weird anomalies..??

How well do you think this TV would cope with ( IR/Burn In ) being on for extended periods of time being used as a PC monitor..??

Also hows the sound..??

#12 ·
where did you find one of these? i have not seem them anywhere yet? how bad is the reflections on the glass? i have a large window and went with the vt25 because it seemed to work the best with the ar filter? the 60 non 3d pk950 i saw was VERY reflective and mirror like. how bad if this one does it have a better filter on it??

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbaz /forum/post/19207503

Gaco, how about PC input..?? is the picture sharp detailed or fuzzy, any overscan or weird anomalies..??

How well do you think this TV would cope with ( IR/Burn In ) being on for extended periods of time being used as a PC monitor..??

Also hows the sound..??

It's was fuzzy, did not fill the screen, colors were weird as well. Got into ATi Catalyst and did +15% overscan, now it's quite perfect.

I have seen very little retention so far and the little I've seen really does not bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sypack /forum/post/19208443

Could you check out the IR please? And congrats with your purchase.

IR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezman /forum/post/19208465

where did you find one of these? i have not seem them anywhere yet? how bad is the reflections on the glass? i have a large window and went with the vt25 because it seemed to work the best with the ar filter? the 60 non 3d pk950 i saw was VERY reflective and mirror like. how bad if this one does it have a better filter on it??

I'm from Denmark so this is a Nordic model (hence the N in PX950N). I got it from http://www.justbuyit.dk/shop/lg-60px950n-3d-7023p.html .

I'm pleasantly surprised about reflections. Needless to say, direct sunlight doesn't do any good, but reflections does not really bother me. It's like the image is bright enough to compensate and the panel is quite good in that respect as well. I'm pretty sure it's better than the LG LX950.

2D->3D works a little better than expected, but I still don't think it's something I'm going to use..

Have updated wih a few more pictures to show off reflections and direct sunlight: http://picasaweb.google.com/gandalfs...KPk--6ju8iTMQ#

#14 ·
The sound from the build in speakers is a bit better than I expected. I don't know if the 50" build-in speakers is the same as ones in the 60". Don't expect anything big, but it's better than average on modern flatpanels in my experience.

I have uploaded a couple of videos here, recorded with my Samsung Galaxy S phone in 720p:

#17 ·
Yeah thanks for the videos, would be great if you could take some video when it's dark later maybe so we get more of an idea what the PQ is like, looks awesome so far! Do you have any 3D material, just wondering what the crosstalk is like and can it be tweaked out with setting adjustments?

Thanks a lot

#18 ·
@Gaco

The screen looks very reflective in day light condition, and I can see why you are disappointed with the black levels, they don't seem to be very deep black looking.

Have you had the chance to test out the 3D games on the PS3, i.e Motorstorm and 3D Bluray movies, if you do can you please look out for any ghostings/crosstalk. Thanx

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco /forum/post/19208659

The sound from the build in speakers is a bit better than I expected. I don't know if the 50" build-in speakers is the same as ones in the 60". Don't expect anything big, but it's better than average on modern flatpanels in my experience.

I have uploaded a couple of videos here, recorded with my Samsung Galaxy S phone in 720p:

I appreciate the videos, nice looking set.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPtimes2 /forum/post/19208918

Gaco, Thanks again for sharing. Any chance you could watch some football (USA) in 2D to 3D conversion and give us an opinion on it.

Don't think I have access to any football channels.. The little 2D-3D conversion I've seen so far: it works better than expected. I tried it on Wall*E but I think it has a tough time work computer generated images since there're no focus/out-of-focus objects in the same sense as from a camera. Real movies works way better. Same thing with cartoons of course. All in all as I said I don't think it's a feature I'm going to use, I'll just keep to the designed-from-the-ground-up-3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by zAndy12 /forum/post/19209099

Yeah thanks for the videos, would be great if you could take some video when it's dark later maybe so we get more of an idea what the PQ is like, looks awesome so far! Do you have any 3D material, just wondering what the crosstalk is like and can it be tweaked out with setting adjustments?

Thanks a lot

The only 3D material I have so far is Motorstorm 3D Rift and I do notice crosstalk - in small amounts. However I've only played for a short little while so it's too early to tell. In 2D->3D I also notice crosstalk especially around dark objects, although I do not know if this is inherent to the 3D system itself or if the 2D->3D process is to blame. Again too early to tell. Regarding setting adjustments, I don't know which setting adjustment I'd try

I am planning on getting that Grand Canyon 3D Bluray soonish, I have i feeling that's really good 3D reference material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1289 /forum/post/19209114

@Gaco

The screen looks very reflective in day light condition, and I can see why you are disappointed with the black levels, they don't seem to be very deep black looking.

Have you had the chance to test out the 3D games on the PS3, i.e Motorstorm and 3D Bluray movies, if you do can you please look out for any ghostings/crosstalk. Thanx

The panel looks worse on the pictures than in real life.. If I take pictures in total dark, black gets blacker than it really is, in daylight it looks brighter than it really is. It's really hard to tell these things from photos, especially from a low-apeture phone camera

As much as you can see reflections in the photos/videos, it's one of those things that you notice less in real life.

Will write back here when I get proper 3D material and some more time for testing. My problem with Motorstorm 3D Rift so far is that it's obviously running at a lot less than 1080p res to keep framerate good, so I'd be more interested in a good 3D blu ray. Could buy one of the other games, but needless to say, money is running short. But the 3D BD update is not coming out until Sep. 21th anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1289 /forum/post/19209121

Also @Gaco,

Are the glasses light and comfortable to wear?

Are the colors bright & vivid in 3D with glasses on? - (3D glasses reduce brightness a lot more in plasma's then they do in lcd's, so would like to know if the new 3D THX Mode fixes this issue)

Also If possible can you take another video, flicking through the different picture modes i.e THX CINEMA, THX BRIGHT ROOM AND THX 3D CINEMA so we can see the differences between them.

Thanx.

Oh the glasses... the glasses are definitely the most comfortable of all the glasses I've tried (Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, LG) by far. They have a very comfortable fit, even on my regular glasses, and they are very light, much lighter than Sony's 3D glasses for example.

Here's your video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sypack /forum/post/19210031

Hi,

IR = Image Retention. Sorry for the confusion.

Ah ok. Thought you meant IR as in InfraRed as in "how good is the TV receiving signals from the remote"

Image retention is really something I've seen one single time and it was on a total black screen after an Xbox 360 menu, was there for a few secs only. So far it is absolutely a non-issue.

I'd say that the biggest issues with this TV so far is average input lag (haven't done objective tests though) and some crosstalk (not too bad but it's there). Defintely In all other areas this TV performs!

The PS3 definitely has less input lag than the X360. People, don't use the HDMI output on the X360, seriously. I can't wait to try the VGA cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony /forum/post/19211064

I appreciate the videos, nice looking set.

np

#23 ·
Having a blast playing DJ hero on the X360 now btw!

I don't know if I don't feel the input lag there for some reason or if the game as default has a bit of input lag correction (it's one of the few games that can be corrected for input lag). I could calibrate input lag via the options menu but I choose to play default and if there is a bit I will get accustomed to it..

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gumbaz

Also hows the sound..??

---------------------------------------------------------------

It's was fuzzy, did not fill the screen, colors were weird as well. Got into ATi Catalyst and did +15% overscan, now it's quite perfect.

I have seen very little retention so far and the little I've seen really does not bother me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you mean "now it's quite perfect"..??

are the colors not weird anymore, is the PC image sharp now..??

Does the manual say anything about the PC input max Resolution..??

How did you connect your PC to the TV: HDMI, SVIDEO, Component Ect..??

Mind taking any more pics of your TV while its connected to your PC, curious as to how fuzzy images & text will be..??

#26 ·
@Gaco

Do the glasses flicker when watching in brightly lit room?

Also how bad is the crosstalk in Motorstorm, is it distracting or easily negligible?

To be honest was expecting the 3D THX mode would rectify this crosstalk issue, I guess there still ain't no solution to get rid of crosstalk completely

What do you make of the 3D THX mode, can you notice any difference in the 3D pic quality?