Return G20 for S2? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Before you call me crazy hear me out...LOL

A little forewarning, I'm not an enthusiast in this TV/Video stuff. I had a 720p 42 Vizio for the last 3 years and it did the job just fine. I was actually impressed with the picture after I bought some HDMI cables last month. It died on Saturday. RIP.

I bought a 50 G20 yesterday for $1099.

I am contemplating returning it for the 50 S20.

Reason being: The web apps are completely useless to me. I thought they would be cool but I am outright unimpressed. I have a computer for watching YouTube and listening to Pandora and the sound is better on it than on the TV.

Here's my other reason: I'm cheap and I have been agonizing over the difference in price. I can buy the S2 for $799.

So what say you? Keep the G20 based solely on the Infinite Black or go back and get the less expensive option and be happy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I have the 65 S2 and the blacks are quite impressive and darker than my highly rated older Panasonic model the 800u. Go by your own eyes, the pro reviewer eyes are not everyone's cup of tea. Plus THX mode is highly overrated, its dim, true colors but dim.
post #3 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate that.

I was unimpressed with all of the original settings including THX. I messed with it for hours yesterday and got it to where I said OK that's good but I don't think the bells and whistles are worth the $300 to me.

At this point I'm set on returning it, but want to hear more input.

Would I be even more crazy to return it and get the 720p model? Almost every channel I receive is 480 when I click info.
post #4 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 08:26 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusR View Post

....I bought a 50 G20 yesterday for $1099. I am contemplating returning it for the 50 S20.......The web apps are completely useless to me......I'm cheap and I have been agonizing over the difference in price. I can buy the S2 for $799.....So what say you? Keep the G20 based solely on the Infinite Black or go back and get the less expensive option and be happy?

Web apps aside, there is more to the G20 than Infinite Black - it also has better colors, better processing, more picture adjustability, and a much better Anti-Reflective filter.

If the G20's better picture quality is not important to you, or not worth the extra $300, then maybe you should go ahead and downgrade to the S2. If you were impressed with the Vizio's picture, then the G20's excellent picture quality will probably be lost on you anyway and the S2 will be just fine.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 08:47 AM

I agree with Randy. You got an excellent TV at a good price. I recently purchased a 50" G25 and I think it's worth it over the S2.

The out of box settings for THX might seem dull at first but I think they're pretty accurate without the need for extensive service menu calibration for the average viewer, whereas the S2 (if like the S1) needs adjustments to get the grayscale near correct.

If this doesn't mean much to you, then you'll probably be happy with the S2. Also if price is that important you can probably get a C2 (720P) for a couple Bens less than an S2.

Mike
post #6 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

You all make valid points and I am lying to myself that the web apps and infinite black are the only upgrades of this TV over the S2. It is a better TV with better reviews and more features.

The comment about the picture being lost on me if I was impressed with the Vizio made me laugh! I spent hours setting that TV up to look good too and this TV is lightyears beyond the picture on that one.

I guess I'm just being fickle.
post #7 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 AM

I can't add much, however, I have last year's version, the 54S1 and I love it! I'm sure the G20 was a better pdp but, like you, I'm no videophile and the PQ is superb on my S1. If the cost savings means that much, return it for the S2. I'm sure you'll be pleased.
post #8 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by 761-honda View Post

I have the 65 S2 and the blacks are quite impressive and darker than my highly rated older Panasonic model the 800u. Go by your own eyes, the pro reviewer eyes are not everyone's cup of tea. Plus THX mode is highly overrated, its dim, true colors but dim.

The 2010 G20/25s are NOT dim in THX mode. They offer all the light output anyone would want.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #9 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Would I be even more crazy to return it and get the 720p model? Almost every channel I receive is 480 when I click info.

If every channel you receive is 480, I am thinking you either don't have an HD subscription, or you have your settings wrong.
post #10 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Well maybe I am painting all THX sets by one brush and thats not fair. Just going by how crappy my 800u looks and the dismal pop it had. I hate that set and hoping to sell it for 900 bucks, its a 58.
post #11 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
THX on the G20 is plenty bright & looks very good. THX on my G10 was dim admittedly & I didn't like it as much because of that. To the OP I think the THX is worth part of that extra money but it is not for everyone especially people who like overly saturated colours.

You may well be satisfied with a cheaper set.
post #12 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqDan View Post

If every channel you receive is 480, I am thinking you either don't have an HD subscription, or you have your settings wrong.

I have the box setup for 480, 720, 1080 and I was flipping around the HD channels last night and never got over 720. MOST were 480.

I have Time Warner / Comcast. BAH! It is "free" at my place but I pay for DVR + HD so I definitely have it.

Thanks for the comments.
post #13 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
In a dark room, the G20 and S2 are very close. The S2 has a gray front filter that, if you watch tv in a bright room, won't be very helpful. On the display wall at Best Buy, the S2 sticks out like a sore thumb with it's filter. The image gets grayed out a little. Hopefully they'll use a newer neopdp panel and use the G20 filter on next year's S3.

At home, though, or watching movies or tv in a dim or darkened room, it's excellent.

These are basically the same panel, one with THX a black front filter and some apps, the other is sort of barebones, extra sheet of glass, and a gray front filter.

Black level is the same or marginally different, as in, not making the slightest bit of difference.

They both still have the awful floating blacks, which can drive you nuts when doing critical viewing. I don't think you'll mind. You have to be very picky for it to really bother you.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #14 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

I went back to Best Buy tonight and spent an hour in front of the C2 and S2 and glanced over to the G20 every once in a while.

Above and next to these were the PN50C550 and PN50C450 Samsungs.

I can see the difference between 1080p and 720p tvs but these things are wired up with coax and they still look amazing. That is what blows my mind.

I left the store planning to do some research but decided to watch MNF and play with the setttings on the G20. I got it to look about the same using Standard mode as THX mode but it is about 5% DARKER in Standard mode.

Is it unfair to think that if I'm using Standard Mode on the G20 and am satisfied with the look that I'll be able to achieve a similar picture in the S2?

Are those Sammy's a no go?

Pricing as follows:

G20 - $1099
S2 - $799
PN50C550 - $899
PN50C450 - $719

The folks at Best Buy who taught me a TON both said that the Samsung TVs don't have the track record of the Panasonics. They also told me that if I feel the G20 is more TV than I need then the S2 is the best buy for the money.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.
post #15 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 02:18 AM

Seems like everything the g20 is great for isn't for you. Save your self some money and get the s2. Skip the c2 because while you don't get much 1080 now, who knows if six months or a year from now you will.

As far as samsungs track record, I'm getting tired of looking at a few tables full of open item 5054 and a450 open item tvs that I get back from service centers.

Don't believe me, drive to other best buys and look at their open item stuff. I can bet majority are samsungs. Yet, most best buys have strong panasonic sales so it's not lack of sales.
post #16 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 06:06 AM

If it's just a price issue see if you can do better on the G20. If you do a return and buy the S2 the G20 price will drop by 10% so see if they'll give that to you w/o having to do all the work. As an aside, I got my G20 from BB for 15% less that your price which also included free delivery. If you do the math you'll see that it was $60 less than the Amazon killer deal a week or so ago so BB has plenty of room to negotiate on the G20.
post #17 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

I tried to get em to discount the G20 and keep it but they weren't hearing it.

I downgraded to the S2 tonight. I'll update this for future reference in a couple of days. Sunday will be the real tell tale.

EDIT: I paid $799 plus tax at Best Buy after a price match from Conns.
post #18 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM

Glad to hear you got the S series. Sounds like it will fit all your needs. This is a nice entry level 1080p display for those who want something decent for not a lot of coin. Let us know how it works out for you...

I am not affiliated with, sponsored by or endorsed by the avsforum member named D-NiceÂ. Any similarity between famous persons living, deceased or fictional is purely coincidental.
post #19 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

I've been planted in front of the tube for some time now and I have to say that I'm impressed. I have it on Cinema mode and everything is at or near stock setting and I don't see the difference from the G2. That is with a bright lamp on next to me.

I might just take the protective tape off the bezel! LOL!

I guess I knew myself better than I thought. I'm happy.
post #20 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah the price difference is the main thing. I bet the C2 would've been fine as well. But the S2 is great for Blu-Ray with 1080p.
post #21 of 29 Old 10-19-2010, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

I picked up a Panny Blue Ray tonight as well. I had to do something to sneak up to the 36 months no interest. I wont take that long to pay it off but it sure felt good. Lmao!

I'm getting this weird zonk out when I change channels on the dvr. Screen goes black, static lines, picture offset, then picture fitted to screen and all good.

What the hell?
post #22 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

After all has been said and done on my TV deal I got Best Buy to price match (yet again) Fry's price of $649 on the TC-P50S2.

I'm a happy camper!
post #23 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After all has been said and done on my TV deal I got Best Buy to price match (yet again) Fry's price of $649 on the TC-P50S2.

I'm a happy camper!

Whoa, great buy.
post #24 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 08:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Reason being: The web apps are completely useless to me. I thought they would be cool but I am outright unimpressed. I have a computer for watching YouTube and listening to Pandora and the sound is better on it than on the TV.

Here’s my other reason: I’m cheap and I have been agonizing over the difference in price. I can buy the S2 for $799.

So what say you? Keep the G20 based solely on the Infinite Black or go back and get the less expensive option and be happy?

The hell on the sound part? I've learned that unless its got the speakers on the side like they used to then the sound quality of LCD/LED/Plasma/OLED/blah blah will sound awful. Our Samsung LCD is hooked up to a 5.1 system, the G25 in the computer room is hooked up by a JVC TH-BA1 soundbar. I've always expected the sound on a flat panel system to be shat, no matter who the screen manufacture is.

Second part that is you my man. No one here is going to look down on you for returning the G20 for a S2. Everyone these days should think about budgets how things are going and if it suits you, you should do it. Not everyone can tell the difference in color blah blah blah. Looking at the 65 S2 it has great WOW factor IMO and the picture looked just as good as a VT20. But then again I know on paper it doesn't but to a persons eye it doesn't matter if it looks good.

So get what makes you happy man. No one here will judge you and this is your personal choice and not one we can make.
post #25 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei86 View Post

The hell on the sound part? I've learned that unless its got the speakers on the side like they used to then the sound quality of LCD/LED/Plasma/OLED/blah blah will sound awful. Our Samsung LCD is hooked up to a 5.1 system, the G25 in the computer room is hooked up by a JVC TH-BA1 soundbar. I never expected the sound on a flat panel system to be shat. No matter who makes the screen.

Second part that is you my man. No one here is going to look down on you for returning the G20 for a S2. Everyone these days should think about budgets how things are going and if it suits you, you should do it. Not everyone can tell the difference in color blah blah blah. Looking at the 65 S2 it has great WOW factor IMO and the picture looked just as good as a VT20. But then again I know on paper it doesn't but to a persons eye it doesn't matter if it looks good.

So get what makes you happy man. No one here will judge you and this is your personal choice and not one we can make.

Thanks for your input man! You make valid points!

Check it out...'"After all has been said and done on my TV deal I got Best Buy to price match (yet again) Fry's price of $649 on the TC-P50S2.

I'm a happy camper!"
post #26 of 29 Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 PM

Liked: 11
I really should proof read my stuff..good lord.

Good for you man, you never have to justify your purchase with anyone else but yourself...and your significant other....I guess...
post #27 of 29 Old 10-26-2010, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

I'm a happy camper!

What location was this at?

I phoned Fry's here in San Jose this morning. They confirmed they were sold at at the $849 price.

Cheers

"Know Thyself" - The Beginning of All Wisdom
post #28 of 29 Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Michaelangelo_ View Post

What location was this at?

I phoned Fry's here in San Jose this morning. They confirmed they were sold at at the $849 price.

Cheers

All Fry's, I believe, were running the $649 special last Weds/Thurs.
post #29 of 29 Old 10-27-2010, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshowxela View Post

All Fry's, I believe, were running the $649 special last Weds/Thurs.

If anyone is curious about current Fry's deals, I found this nice link...
http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/#TV

Looks like Amazon has the TC-P50G25 for around ~$1,000. Free shipping with Amazon prime.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...dp/B003924UCK/

Buy now, or wait for the Black Friday sale(s)... decisions, decisions :-)

"Know Thyself" - The Beginning of All Wisdom
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page