3 choices, same price... what to do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have been reading alot on here... thanks for all the good info ppl!! Actually switched my mind over from lcd to plasma after reading.

Pretty much got things narrowed down to 3 tv's.
All are the same price, and the $2k mark. (yes, we get shafted at times in Canada)

It really comes down to a question of size vs quality.

Samsung PN58C6400
Panasonic TCP58S2
Panasonic TCP54G25

As far as my usage:
main floor room, lighting is average and can be darkened.
viewing distance is 15'
it's my everything tv, so Bell sat chans mostly, SD and HD when I can. Few games, and will do a few blueray movies from time to time. And Im a big Nascar fan, so racing has to look good in HD.

Look forward to reading any thoughts you all have... hopefully I can pick one of these up on the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
viewing distance is 15'

15' is quite far, you need to buy the largest set you can afford.
Therefore my choice would be the 58C6400
post #3 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

I agree... bigger is better.
And actually edited the post of the model #'s.
C6400 is 58
S2 is 58
G25 is 54
post #4 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 05:36 PM

Liked: 11
I would easily choose the Sammy 58 C6400.
post #5 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

The Samsung does look like a good choice... all the reports of the Samsungs buzzing worries me a bit. Then others say the Panasonic is just a better plasma hands down. This is why im stuck here lol
post #6 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

No doubt Panasonic is great.
No doubt Samsung is also great.

I have last years 58B860 and I love it.
No buzz and as a matter of fact I have had 5 Samsung plasma panels with zero buzz.

The picture is stunning.....

JMTC
post #7 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 07:40 PM

I think at 15' you are pretty far back so I think if it was my setup, I would be looking at size over picture quality at your budget. What about a 65" Panasonic S series. Some look down on this set here at avsfourm, but that far away... Perhaps one of the biggest Samsung Plasmas in one of the big, but with less feature models (not familiar with the Sammy model numbers). I think there is a 60" LG plasma that might be in your budget too, even that might work. Any plasma will show the fast motion of Nascar well (like down on the side wall when the all zoom past).

I am not affiliated with, sponsored by or endorsed by the avsforum member named D-NiceÂ. Any similarity between famous persons living, deceased or fictional is purely coincidental.
post #8 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

I think 58 is about as big as Im going to get. Any reason to go, or not to go with the Samsung or Pansonic? Is the G series worth losing the 4"?
post #9 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 10:42 PM

Here's my experience with the Samsung plasma. I am on my 3rd pn50c6400 and although it is not the 58" model you are considering I feel compelled to share my recent experience... Each of them has had the dreaded buzz - I swapped the first for a 2nd, same problem. I called samsung and they sent a tech out to change the woofer - which has nothing to do with the issue - I took the panel off the back and immediately discovered that adjusting the mounting screws on the board that was buzzing would effect the noise level but no amount of adjusting could get rid of it. I swapped for a third, becuase the the picture quality really is stunning...Same problem again. Called samsung once more and got throught to a service engineer who basically told me that buzzing is expected in plasmas. Anyhow, I've had it with Samsung and am going to swap it for a Panasonic TCP50G25. I should also mention that I have a 26" samsung LCD TV that crapped out just after warranty...A victim of weak caps that I ended up removing and replacing myself. I've noticed that Best Buy isn't even listed the 6400 on the website, at least as of this evening. Obviously there is some manufacturing issue with the 6400 series...
post #10 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

I would go with Panasonic. More reliable tv by consumer reports. tc-p58s2 is at a really low price on amazon right now.
post #11 of 25 Old 10-21-2010, 05:15 PM

Who cares about reliable? Put the Samsung on the right CC and get an additional second year of warranty free. Register it with Samsung and they extend your warranty an extra 3 months, free.

What's reliable on the Panasonics are annoying floating/rising blacks and reliably poor processing. The S2 has a terrible filter, and is butt ugly too.

Get the Samsung! My 58 inch Sammy has normal plasma bluzz. Not loud enough to make me pull my hair out. Typical plasma buzz that I have experienced with other brands. Usually only noticeable when specifically listening for it in a quiet room, like late at night. The buzzing is no worse on my 58 than what I experienced with many of my 50 inchers, including my Kuro.
post #12 of 25 Old 10-22-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Documaker,

Did you keep the 58B860? Or did you get a 7000/8000? Did you also keep the PIO? Watching them in different room environments?
post #13 of 25 Old 10-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

Who cares about reliable? Put the Samsung on the right CC and get an additional second year of warranty free. Register it with Samsung and they extend your warranty an extra 3 months, free.

What's reliable on the Panasonics are annoying floating/rising blacks and reliably poor processing. The S2 has a terrible filter, and is butt ugly too.

Get the Samsung! My 58 inch Sammy has normal plasma bluzz. Not loud enough to make me pull my hair out. Typical plasma buzz that I have experienced with other brands. Usually only noticeable when specifically listening for it in a quiet room, like late at night. The buzzing is no worse on my 58 than what I experienced with many of my 50 inchers, including my Kuro.

DocuMaker I'm sure you would want your tv to last more than 2 years. Also the hassle to have to bring in your tv to get fixed. I would rather stick with a more reliable tv that doesn't break on you. Combine that with the terrible customer service Samsung supposedly has. (Taking forever to fix your tv) I would get a Squaretrade Warranty if I bought a Samsung.
post #14 of 25 Old 10-22-2010, 03:37 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Actually, IIRC, he doesn't care, because he changes TVs ~every 1/2 year; isn't that right, DocuMaker?
If I am thinking of the right person, it certainly isn't more than ~1 year.
post #15 of 25 Old 10-22-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encompass View Post

Here's my experience with the Samsung plasma. I am on my 3rd pn50c6400 and although it is not the 58" model you are considering I feel compelled to share my recent experience... Each of them has had the dreaded buzz - I swapped the first for a 2nd, same problem. I called samsung and they sent a tech out to change the woofer - which has nothing to do with the issue - I took the panel off the back and immediately discovered that adjusting the mounting screws on the board that was buzzing would effect the noise level but no amount of adjusting could get rid of it. I swapped for a third, becuase the the picture quality really is stunning...Same problem again. Called samsung once more and got throught to a service engineer who basically told me that buzzing is expected in plasmas. Anyhow, I've had it with Samsung and am going to swap it for a Panasonic TCP50G25. I should also mention that I have a 26" samsung LCD TV that crapped out just after warranty...A victim of weak caps that I ended up removing and replacing myself. I've noticed that Best Buy isn't even listed the 6400 on the website, at least as of this evening. Obviously there is some manufacturing issue with the 6400 series...

Just so you know I went with the TCP50G25 for the exact same reason you are now considering switching. I got it this Monday and just an hour ago they came to pick it up for a return.

Two reasons - I could hear the buzz over the sound of an action movie. Not good. Samsung is not alone in producing buzzers.

Also, when watching anything in letterbox the black bars top and bottom constantly changed in brightness, and it made my eyes have a hard time focusing on the movie.

Two very important things to consider. I'm now deciding if I want to leave plasma alone and go back to LCD or get a Samsung plasma and risk its buzz.
post #16 of 25 Old 10-22-2010, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshredder27 View Post

DocuMaker I'm sure you would want your tv to last more than 2 years. Also the hassle to have to bring in your tv to get fixed. I would rather stick with a more reliable tv that doesn't break on you. Combine that with the terrible customer service Samsung supposedly has. (Taking forever to fix your tv) I would get a Squaretrade Warranty if I bought a Samsung.

I did just that when I ordered my 58B650 from Vanns in March. But I didn't do it because it was a Sammy. I did it simply because the combo price for the set (then on closeout) and the warranty length I wanted was still lower than the competition, especially Panasonic.
post #17 of 25 Old 10-22-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DocuMaker seems to display-hop a lot more than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar View Post

I did just that when I ordered my 58B650 from Vanns in March. But I didn't do it because it was a Sammy. I did it simply because the combo price for the set (then on closeout) and the warranty length I wanted was still lower than the competition, especially Panasonic.

I have a Pioneer and I still got an extended warranty on it. When you're spending $$$$$$$$$$ on a TV, may as well spend $ on a warranty to make sure you don't lose $$$$$$$$$ if something goes wrong.
post #18 of 25 Old 10-22-2010, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Amen brother. Money doesn't grow on trees.
post #19 of 25 Old 10-27-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar View Post

Documaker,

Did you keep the 58B860? Or did you get a 7000/8000? Did you also keep the PIO? Watching them in different room environments?

Just to clarify, I had a 58B560, not the 860. Yes, I sold it, for a tidy profit....after Le Tour de France!

Now I have a 58C550, and also a 50C7000 and 50G25.

Sold the Pio. Don't even really miss it all that much.
post #20 of 25 Old 10-27-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:

DocuMaker I'm sure you would want your tv to last more than 2 years.

I've gone through 13 plasmas in less than two years. I upgrade frequently. Don't need to keep a plasma longer than a handful of months, since they are constantly making improvements and prices fall.

Quote:

Also the hassle to have to bring in your tv to get fixed.

Say what? Samsung is always kind enough to send someone out to my home to fix their broken TV's. They know me well now, as the same repair center has been out here at least 5 times. I don't ever have to haul these TV's anywhere.

Quote:

I would rather stick with a more reliable tv that doesn't break on you. Combine that with the terrible customer service Samsung supposedly has. (Taking forever to fix your tv)

Samsung has always done me right. Never given me any trouble whatsoever. Usually my repair is taken care of within a week or two at most, and sometimes less than a week. Depends on what kind of parts they have on hand or have to order.
post #21 of 25 Old 10-27-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahalaleel View Post

Just so you know I went with the TCP50G25 for the exact same reason you are now considering switching. I got it this Monday and just an hour ago they came to pick it up for a return.

Two reasons - I could hear the buzz over the sound of an action movie. Not good. Samsung is not alone in producing buzzers.

Also, when watching anything in letterbox the black bars top and bottom constantly changed in brightness, and it made my eyes have a hard time focusing on the movie.

Two very important things to consider. I'm now deciding if I want to leave plasma alone and go back to LCD or get a Samsung plasma and risk its buzz.

Actually my 50G25 is nice and tame for a plasma. Very quiet compared to most of the Samsungs I have had. Quieter than my Hitachi and Pioneer too. Quieter than my V10 for that matter. (although it was a larger 58 in.)

You are right about the floating blacks, however. It does make the black bars shift in brightness, and this can be mildly distracting.
post #22 of 25 Old 10-27-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

DocuMaker seems to display-hop a lot more than other people.

What I do is buy my displays cheap enough that I have to sell them before prices drop too fast. If I hold onto them too long, I will start to lose money. And I always sell my displays for a profit--that is, unless I am just testing them out before passing them along to a relative. Then I give it to them for the price I paid...but only after I've had my fun with it.

This way I never really end up having to pay out any $$ for my TV's, thereby justifying this little diversion. I also get to constantly enjoy the newer models, so I am getting better PQ at cheaper prices all the time.

Aside from the most lovely Kuro, my 58C550 is my absolute favorite. Very lovely display for only a little over 9 bills + tax. Better than the V10 I had, for less money.
post #23 of 25 Old 10-27-2010, 08:26 AM

Reading through this thread it really seems that people just throw there opinions out there without prior experience regarding Samsung customer support. I've owned 4 Samsung tv's over the last 10 or so years that eventually had problems mostly after 4, 5 or 6 yrs. Every time I needed them they were more than willing to help and in a few situations they even paid to repair my tv out of warranty. I think just saying the word Samsung on this forum will automatically bring out Sony and Panasonic fanboys that hate Samsungs because they bought a Panasonic.. It's very hard to find a unbiased opinion around here. It's almost like panasonic owners are just scanning this forum waiting to find someone to ask about a Samsung so they can shot it down.
post #24 of 25 Old 11-11-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahalaleel View Post

I love how panny fanboys tell you to go with the panasonic plasma over the Samsung plasma because samsung has all these problems blah blah blah and your panasonic didn't even make it one day! Just shows you how bias people are on this forum.
post #25 of 25 Old 11-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDBENCxX View Post

I love how panny fanboys tell you to go with the panasonic plasma over the Samsung plasma because samsung has all these problems blah blah blah and your panasonic didn't even make it one day! Just shows you how bias people are on this forum.

They both buzz but Panasonics have been known to be more reliable. Consumer Reports prove that point. They also have the best ratings for tv's under 50-inches and right up there on the bigger tv's. So it's not like we are making things up. We are just stating why we prefer the Panasonics. Other than the G2x series, the Panasonics aren't known for the buzzing.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page