why don't plasmas have a higher refresh rate? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 130 Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't think you can do anything. I don't own a plasma because of the flicker issue. Some peoples eyes are more sensitive than others. I have extremely sensitive eyes and notice flicker no matter how "high end" or good a plasma display is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 130 Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Welcome another LCD plant to the plasma forum.
post #123 of 130 Old 03-27-2012, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qiuness View Post

oh dear...just read through the thread, and instantly became sad... i can also see the 60hz flicker because i use my PS64D8000 as a Monitor and most pages in Windows are white...So i guess there is nothing i can do...?

Eagle eye is both blessing and curse Plasma is not designed for static just as LCD was not designed for motion (though getting better through the years)

Have you tried "trial-and-error" with 72/75Hz as output from your device to the TV?
post #124 of 130 Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 AM

I am yet another flicker-sensitive person, desperately looking for a plasma display. After reading the forums here (and many other places), I have a question that might seem outlandish. First, am I correct in understanding that plasma displays in the UK generally have a native refresh rate of 100Hz (and ones in the US are 60Hz)? And if so (here comes the outlandish part), would there be any reason why I couldn't import a plasma TV from the UK and use it in the US?
post #125 of 130 Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtorley View Post

I am yet another flicker-sensitive person, desperately looking for a plasma display. After reading the forums here (and many other places), I have a question that might seem outlandish. First, am I correct in understanding that plasma displays in the UK generally have a native refresh rate of 100Hz (and ones in the US are 60Hz)? And if so (here comes the outlandish part), would there be any reason why I couldn't import a plasma TV from the UK and use it in the US?

This is news to me. I didn't know UK plasma has a 100hz refresh rate. I always assumed they were 50hz making the flickering worst than US models.
post #126 of 130 Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qiuness View Post

oh dear...just read through the thread, and instantly became sad... i can also see the 60hz flicker because i use my PS64D8000 as a Monitor and most pages in Windows are white...So i guess there is nothing i can do...?

Welcome to the 15% of the population who can notice 60hzx refresh rate. Unfortunately, it's not a happy club.

There is nothing you can do about it. The options you have are to either try to live with it (some do) or don't and go for an LCD instead. The decision isn't as clear cut unfortunately. I peronslly trying to live as an LCD users but wish I could switch to plasma.

Our only option would be the day TV manufacturer allow for faster refresh rate on their plasma, a little bit like the old CRT monitors. I would be happy with either 75HZ or even better, 85hz but I've been waiting for a few years and I have not seen any changes on the plasma manufacturer.
post #127 of 130 Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

To add to my post, I was wondering if some people here who are sensitive to plasma flickering still bought a plasma TV and decided to live with it. I was wondering if at one point, you ended up getting used to it or if it ever had any side effects like headhache or eye strain, etc.
post #128 of 130 Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'm very sensitive to crt monitor 60hz flicker, I just can't do it. It seems like the off time on a plasma is a little shorter duration, so it seems not as bad to me. After buying two plasmas I really have no issue with it. When there's high contrast scenes I can see it a little if I think about it. I was standing a foot or so from my 50st30 last night and saw flicker and snowy dither but from the back of the room,10' , I didn't see it at all. Mid panel brightness with contrast at 82 dark out with a small lamp on.
post #129 of 130 Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We have a D series Samsung plasma, 64". I don't notice the flicker like I have in older generation plasmas. I do see dithering from my viewing distance though.

Birgir "keyser"
post #130 of 130 Old 01-23-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

To add to my post, I was wondering if some people here who are sensitive to plasma flickering still bought a plasma TV and decided to live with it. I was wondering if at one point, you ended up getting used to it or if it ever had any side effects like headhache or eye strain, etc.

I have always been very sensitive to flicker. However, it wasn't until a year or so ago - when I bought my first plasma - that I realized that most people are not sensitive to it. I had just assumed if I saw flicker, others did to. I would walk by someones CRT monitor (years ago) and wonder how they could stand looking at it set to 60hz. I had to bump mine up to 72hz for the flicker to go away.

Anyway, when I first bought the Samsung PN63C8000 plasma the flicker was very noticeable to me. I went to the store and looked at the display unit and it did the same thing, so I ruled out it being something with my set. I then asked others if they saw flicker and they said no, while I was seeing a very noticeable flicker. The good part is that I've now had the set a little over a year, and I really don't notice the flicker any more. And I used to notice it all the time. I am sure that it did not get better and that if I went looking for it I would notice it, but somehow its like I got used to it and don't notice it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page