Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 118 Old 12-22-2010, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Updated the 2nd post to include a simple graphic I made attempting to describe the different driving systems used (eg - CLEAR, REAL-BLACK...etc)

Also, please feel free to point out any errors in all of these reference posts and threads. They are not any good if they are wrong interpretations.

Also, I was really not sure whether I was going to include an explanation of the difference between exo-electron emission and secondary electron emission as it could confuse things. But since exo-electron emission is so important to zero black, KURO, CEL, and upcoming panasonic designs, I fee I should do it.

This will mean editing a lot of the posts.

It is really an interesting topic once you wrap your head around it as not even the experts agree on how exo-electrons happen and how to measure them.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 118 Old 12-23-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Are you also attempting to include subfields in your graphs?

Edit: Nevermind. This is just a simplistic graph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

Updated the 2nd post to include a simple graphic I made attempting to describe the different driving systems used (eg - CLEAR, REAL-BLACK...etc)

Also, please feel free to point out any errors in all of these reference posts and threads. They are not any good if they are wrong interpretations.

Also, I was really not sure whether I was going to include an explanation of the difference between exo-electron emission and secondary electron emission as it could confuse things. But since exo-electron emission is so important to zero black, KURO, CEL, and upcoming panasonic designs, I fee I should do it.

This will mean editing a lot of the posts.

It is really an interesting topic once you wrap your head around it as not even the experts agree on how exo-electrons happen and how to measure them.

post #33 of 118 Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Are you also attempting to include subfields in your graphs?

I normalized the number of subfields to 8 but I'm not sure this makes it easier to understand or not. I could change it to show true number of subfields?

post #34 of 118 Old 01-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Just wanted to chime in and give a big thanks to xrox and everyone involved in this thread. Some very very good and interesting technical info here. Glad it got stickied!

Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

Quick shot of my gear/theater.
post #35 of 118 Old 01-25-2011, 08:08 AM

Liked: 10
Should the discussion about screen filters be part of this thread? It looks like an important component of the (expected) better blacks on this year's VT30 is a darker screen filter combined with brighter phosphors. It's like watching a bright screen with sunglasses: the light output will look normal, while the blacks will definitely look blacker.
post #36 of 118 Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 PM

So, are we at 10 lumen tech yet? (2011's new batch of plasmas) A couple years ago, I believe we were at 5 lumen. I have a feeling that since there is no one making a cutting edge plasma at the moment were not there yet, but anyone know for sure?

9G KURO equipped.
post #37 of 118 Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioBeer View Post

So, are we at 10 lumen tech yet? (2011's new batch of plasmas) A couple years ago, I believe we were at 5 lumen. I have a feeling that since there is no one making a cutting edge plasma at the moment were not there yet, but anyone know for sure?

I've wondered this, as well. The 2010 models were above 5 lumen tech, since power had been reduced even more than the 2009 5 lumen models, but there was no mention of the exact figure.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #38 of 118 Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioBeer View Post
So, are we at 10 lumen tech yet?
No
post #39 of 118 Old 02-03-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No

Any idea what lumen the 2011 Panasonics are at?

post #40 of 118 Old 02-03-2011, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

Any idea what lumen the 2011 Panasonics are at?

They are classified as 5
post #41 of 118 Old 02-03-2011, 05:19 PM

Can someone point me to a good luman tech description. Ive seen 10 thrown around a lot, but to tell the truth Ive never even really looked into it.
post #42 of 118 Old 02-03-2011, 05:21 PM

Nevermined. Found a good thread here.
post #43 of 118 Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post

Is it just me but somehow I do find my kuro screen turns darker when it is on vs the greenish grey that you mention when it is off for some time? If true any logic on this?

This is the best answer I've seen on my question earlier in this thread, deserve to be on a sticky about black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLASS View Post

There are two components to "reflection" and this and many other threads seem to forever confuse the two.

Surface reflection- Both LCDs and Plasma have surface reflection. It is about 4.5% of the ambient light. Plasmas are shiny glass so there is "specular" reflection- mirror reflection. "MOST"- but not all LCDs have "diffused" reflections (dull). This means that you do not see a mirror-like reflection BUT the reflection of a light source, like a lamp, is much larger, but dull image, than it is in reality. The reflection is getting scattered. Now, shiny reflections has it objections and dull reflections have their objections. You get rid of one by adding the other. They are mutually exclusive so you are going have to live with one of them.

Internal reflection- Sorry Plasma but the internal structure of a plasma has high internal reflection. Turn off a plasma display and point it towards a window. Does the off display look black? No???? This is because the display (behind the front glass) is reflecting. It will appear to be a bright coppery color (metalic). This is an internal reflection off the internal structure of the plasma and it is also the darkest "black" can appear in a light, bright room.

HOWEVER...... a plasma emits no light on a black screen. SO.... if the set is in fairly dark room (no reflection), black is going to appear very dark.

AND, since the LCD is likely have its backlight/edge light on all the time (local dimming, not withstanding) in a very dark room, the black level of the LCD will appear brighter. The LCD structure is not all that good at extinguishing light and it leaks a lot of light as well. This is the cause of clouds (non-uniformity) and "head lights" (edgelit LEDs leaking light.

post #44 of 118 Old 03-02-2011, 08:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

They are classified as 5

Only 5 ? I thought we were at 8 or even higher...
Somewhere in this forum I read that samsung is using 8 or more lumen techn, but dunno.
post #45 of 118 Old 03-02-2011, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david437 View Post

Only 5 ? I thought we were at 8 or even higher...
Somewhere in this forum I read that samsung is using 8 or more lumen techn, but dunno.

I believe that's why he said "classified as". It may well be over 5, but Panasonic probably isn't getting into specifics over it.

post #46 of 118 Old 03-09-2011, 02:49 AM

Liked: 26

Reading through the Panasonic patent 20090021452A1 describing method of driving plasma display panel, I noticed one interesting thing that I did not see discussed elsewhere. Hopefully it's alright to post it here (or feel free to move it to Panasonic black levels thread or elsewhere you find it appropriate).

According to patent, there are three driving modes for the panel corresponding to panel/ambient temperature. The sensor (81) measuring the temperature is located as in FIG4A, 4B.

To precisely monitor the panel temperature, many sensors (81) would be required, which increases costs and complexity. Instead, Panasonic uses estimates values and correction values for high and low temperatures and the sensor is placed on circuit board (89) separated from panel (10) by heat conduction sheet (86), aluminum chassis (87) boss material (88) and air bubbles. This prevents local temperature changes caused by varying screen content. In the patent, there are also graphs showing correlation between actual panel temperature and sensor temperature from which the correction values are computed, but for simplicity I'm gonna leave them out.

FIG9 shows the logic for selecting the driving method (low-temp, normal-temp, and high-temp) according to sensor temperature (again, the actual selection is much more complicated according to patent using hysteresis characteristics and thresholds but I'm not gonna post them here since it's not necessary to get the big picture).

In next figures are the actual driving modes for APL >6%. FIG7A shows low temperature, FIG7B normal temperature, and FIG7C high temperature driving mode.

With low panel temperature, the discharge start voltage increases and the initializing discharge in the all-cell initializing operation is prone to become unstable (and pixel misfiring can occur). Therefore, the Vr (initializing voltage) is set higher for low temperature (VrH) and is lowered for normal and high temperature mode (VrC). However, with increased VrH voltage, MLL also rises. Therefore, the MLL in the first 10-20 minutes of operation (until the panel warms up and circuit switches to normal temp driving mode) is higher.

In normal temperature driving mode for APL >6%, there are two all-cell initializing operations (in first and fourth SF). When the panel switches to high temperature driving mode, another all-cell initializing operation is required (in sixth SF) to guarantee stable panel operation. Additional all-cell initializing operation has the effect of raised MLL (again). The similar algorithm is used for APL <6%, only the all-cell initializing operations are increased to two (from one) instead of three.

To sum it all up, in the first 10-20 minutes of Panasonic plasma operation, the MLL is increased because of higher VrH voltage and is lowered once the panel warms up and circuits switch to normal temperature driving mode. Again, if the panel temperature becomes too hight or the plasma is installed in high-temperature environment, the MLL rises because of additional all-cell initializing operation (from the patent it's hard to tell, what is the actual temperature that causes the panel to switch to high temperature driving mode, but my speculation is somewhere above 50-55°C for panel itself or 35-40°C for the temperature sensor (81)).

Anyway, since this is only a patent, it's not guaranteed that any of this is actually implemented in Panasonic plasmas, but from my observations I would say that at least some of it must be implemented as the MLL really is higher in the first minutes I turn on my P42G10E.

Panasonic plasma black level restoration
Step-by-step guide for restoring the initial MLL on a Panasonic G10 plasma
post #47 of 118 Old 03-09-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks mironto. This particular patent and a couple others are discussed further HERE and the links can be found in the first post of this thread (floating and rising blacks). I did not discuss the particular embodiment you are interested in (temperature) as I felt that while interesting to me it might be relatively unimportant to the members here. It looks like I was wrong and thank you for the great description

There are also a few other older posts including patents from last year discussing how other manufacturers deal with temperature and discharge start voltage fluctuations (LG and Samsung IIRC)

I'd also like to add some thoughts if that is ok.

The way I understand it at low temperatures there are less exoelectrons emitted from MgO and thus it becomes difficult to produce a weak discharge stably. This will cause pixels to fire when they are not supposed to. This is overcome by increasing the voltage to ensure a stable setup discharge.

At high temperatures there is a problem that wall charge is lost quicker. In other words when wall charge is created it has a residence time and that time gets shorter with increasing temperature. Loss of wall charge means that pixels will not have enough wall charge to be addressed and will essentially misfire (black pixel) during the sustain period. To overcome this the wall charge lost from the first initialization pulse must be reinstated using a second or third initialization period later on in the sequence.

post #48 of 118 Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 PM

Liked: 11
Wow. Very easy to understand. Great work Xrox! I wonder if we will able see a plasma achieve this. Progress is moving VERY slow.

I hope the risings are completely fixed in 2011. Can having CEL (Top) only achieve stable blacks? It is just unacceptable to me, especially after owning my pro 150d Pio. Until thats fixed Panasonic is a no go. I like stable blacks.

I guess I'll wait and see what D-Nice and Chad think when the Vt30 arrives.
post #49 of 118 Old 06-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My tv has zero black technology ... It's called CRT !
post #50 of 118 Old 06-14-2011, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
^*Notes title of thread*

Quote:

Zero Black Level PDP Research

(emphasis mine).
post #51 of 118 Old 06-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhed View Post

My tv has zero black technology ... It's called CRT !

I beg to differ. I own a Kuro and a couple of high-end Sony CRTs. They look great, but the black level isn't perfect.

1) There is blooming. If you display bright white dot in the middle of a black screen, the dot will raise the black level around it creating a "blooming" effect.

2) The ANSI contrast isn't great. If you display a wide image with black bars on the top and bottom those black bars will become brighter as the image in the middle increases in brightness.

On a plasma like the Kuro, these same results will produce a much deeper black.
post #52 of 118 Old 06-30-2011, 08:52 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhed View Post

my tv has zero black technology ... It's called crt !

+ 10.000

They were blacker on cheap
post #53 of 118 Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark1x View Post

I beg to differ. I own a Kuro and a couple of high-end Sony CRTs. They look great, but the black level isn't perfect.

1) There is blooming. If you display bright white dot in the middle of a black screen, the dot will raise the black level around it creating a "blooming" effect.

2) The ANSI contrast isn't great. If you display a wide image with black bars on the top and bottom those black bars will become brighter as the image in the middle increases in brightness.

On a plasma like the Kuro, these same results will produce a much deeper black.

I'm sorry, but you have a bad CRT then. I own a 34XBR960 and a Kuro and the XBR does no such a thing. I know what your talking about, and it's the reason I returned a VT25 last year due to floating blacks. The bars on my XBR stay pitch black. The only other display I had that could do this was my 46A950 local-dimming LCD due to pixels that shut off. I also didn't have a hint of bloom either. A perfect rock solid image, equal or besting the Kuro. I'm afraid yours is on it's last leg. I've had two (960s) to die on me so I know what I'm talking about.
post #54 of 118 Old 10-12-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

I'm sorry, but you have a bad CRT then. I own a 34XBR960 and a Kuro and the XBR does no such a thing. I know what your talking about, and it's the reason I returned a VT25 last year due to floating blacks. The bars on my XBR stay pitch black. The only other display I had that could do this was my 46A950 local-dimming LCD due to pixels that shut off. I also didn't have a hint of bloom either. A perfect rock solid image, equal or besting the Kuro. I'm afraid yours is on it's last leg. I've had two (960s) to die on me so I know what I'm talking about.

I do not doubt your experience because sensitivity to black level and changes in black level seem to vary widely but I would question your conclusions.

CRT, Panasonic PDP, and Local dimming LCD all have variable black levels for different reasons. Panasonic PDP produces a uniform black level shift due to the driving method while CRT and LD-LCD produce a non-linear black level shift due to cross-talk.

1 - CRT - Black level changes due to electron and light scattering

2 - Local dimming LCD - Diffuser between LEDs and LC spread light across the screen producing a non linear black level.

3 - Panasonic PDP - Black level is deliberately shifted up or down uniformly in order to stabilize the discharge without impacting efficiency

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19611788

Note : Modern PDP produces very little cross-talk at all thanks to the design of using encased cells.

post #55 of 118 Old 11-19-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Are any of the companies that produce video displays--are THEY doing any black level research?
post #56 of 118 Old 11-23-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
This may be of interest for those who haven't picked up on it yet as many may ignore the LG threads but I feel it pertains directly to this discussion.
LG Plasma Panel tweaks for better blacks.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1372479

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

For the last few months there have been a few brave individuals who have begun the task of technically improving the black levels on their LG plasmas by tweaking a few pots on the actual boards inside the sets so I believe a dedicated thread should be started.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

https://myspace.com/151752802/videos

post #57 of 118 Old 11-23-2011, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

This may be of interest for those who haven't picked up on it yet as many may ignore the LG threads but I feel it pertains directly to this discussion.
LG Plasma Panel tweaks for better blacks.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1372479

I've been keeping an eye on it as it is very interesting IMO. The LG driving waveforms look very similar to Panasonic. The main (black level) reset/initialization waveform shape is very similar indeed. And as for the rest, Panasonic uses the selective reset while LG calls it "low voltage" reset.

The patents describing Panasonic's rising black levels give a great description of the rising and falling waveform of the reset and what its purpose is. A quick look at recent LG patents show they have similar waveform adjustments for temperature and APL.

I also noted in the thread that LG has tested a full plasma display panel without a reset waveform (zero black level) but the picture has too much misfiring pixels when this is done.

post #58 of 118 Old 11-24-2011, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

I've been keeping an eye on it as it is very interesting IMO. The LG driving waveforms look very similar to Panasonic. The main (black level) reset/initialization waveform shape is very similar indeed. And as for the rest, Panasonic uses the selective reset while LG calls it "low voltage" reset.

The patents describing Panasonic's rising black levels give a great description of the rising and falling waveform of the reset and what its purpose is. A quick look at recent LG patents show they have similar waveform adjustments for temperature and APL.

I also noted in the thread that LG has tested a full plasma display panel without a reset waveform (zero black level) but the picture has too much misfiring pixels when this is done.

We need this for the Sammy now...
post #59 of 118 Old 11-24-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It seems PDP manufacturers have the following design rule:

- All pixels must be controllable under all conditions including changes in:
  • APL
  • local temperature
  • panel temperature
  • panel age
  • pixel rest time

With regards only to the reset/initialization there are three ways to accomplish this design rule as follows:
  • Produce a constant very high black level (strong multiple reset discharges)
  • Dynamically adjust the black level (reset voltage and number) according to conditions listed above
  • Use advanced materials and cell designs that sustain control of pixels at all conditions without the need to adjust black level.
Obviously combinations of these 3 methods can be used.

Now if you go and adjust the reset waveform (this is what you are doing with the LG AFAIK) then you are messing with this design rule. In other words, you will have uncontrollable pixels under CERTAIN conditions (APL,temp,age, pixel off time...etc).

post #60 of 118 Old 11-26-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there potential to do this, xrox, for any plasma manufacturer's models? I know my Panasonic can get a deeper black as evidenced by it flickering to a lower luminance level when loading a disc.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page