So the PN58C500 is home and finally got it hooked up. Disclaimer: I haven't tuned anything and all my PQ opinions are based on the base settings. Will update once I get some things tuned up.
- Connection wise, the only thing I can tell is missing is the 1 HDMI port from the C550. It's got 2 USB's, one on the side and one on the back (someone said it didn't have USB ports, that is false).
- Default picture settings are ... ehh. Was not impressed initially using Transformers HDDVD as my visual benchmark (yeah... no blu-ray player yet).
- I'm getting a lot of pixelization during fast movement. I'm running all my video through an Onkyo 607 receiver and just had the HDMI board replaced in it under warranty a couple weeks ago. I'll be rerunning all the cables later tonight and trying to test direct to the set. Will update on that later.
- Bezel is a little annoying. My old Panny had a matte finish where as this one has that clear glossy touch of color crap. Just give me flat black matte and let's call it a day eh?
- I'm overloading my UPS. Going to have to make a trip to Fry's and buy another UPS. In the meantime I've got an orange extension cord draped through the living room and that seems to be working just fine. The irony here is that the newer plasmas are supposed to be lighter on the juice than the older ones, so much for that save the planet thing.
- Service menu and flipping the models like you can with the C550's is possible. Mute, 1, 8, 2, power on to get there. Go to Options, Model, then right and left to select model. It seems like you can select almost any model Samsung has made recently. I picked the 590 and no issues I can tell in the 5-10 min I was running with it set.
- Xbox looks a little sharper, but still pixelated quite a bit during fast movement. Could be receiver, could be TV... don't know yet.
So that's it so far - any questions post em up and I'll see if I can get an answer for you.