Will my Plasma survive in detached garage? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am upgrading my HT and will install a 54inch Panny VT25 soon, and want to move my Hitachi 55inch plasma to the garage for the kids to use. The garage is detached and does not have heating / airconditioning. We live in the San Francisco area, in Palo Alto, which has a good climate. It will occassionally frost here and when it does the garage gets quite cold- some days in the 30s and once in a while down to 32-35 degrees. It also gets hot- into the high 90s on some days in the summer. The plasma is 5 years old, is 720 and I'm willing to take some risks, but if these temperature ranges are going to kill it quickly, I'll find another use for it.

Should I be worried?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

BTW, I should mention that my owners manual says nothing about storage or operating temperature range other than to avoid unusually humid storage for long period of time and to avoid putting it against a window where it will get direct sun or block ventilation. Not much help.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:55 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 501
It should be ok out there - Panasonic for instance rates it's TVs for use at 32F or higher. And when these things are new and in their original carton they're sometimes warehoused and shipped in freezing temperatures so i wouldn't worry about it.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 11-29-2010, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think it would be fine. The time to be more careful is when you bring it back into a warmer environment. You should let it come up to room temperature before turning it on to avoid any issues with condensation.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes, let it "thaw" inside for several days before turning it on to be safe.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
I think it would be fine. The time to be more careful is when you bring it back into a warmer environment. You should let it come up to room temperature before turning it on to avoid any issues with condensation.
Even better, wrap the TV in a plastic bag prior to bringing it inside. Shouldn't slow the warming much and will prevent any moisture issues. As an aside for this time of year, any electronics I buy online and get shipped (I have a Panasonic G25 coming tomorrow morning ) stays in it's container for a couple hours or overnight to prevent possible condensation issues. Nothing like having your expensive piece of equipment sit on a truck at freezing temps (sometimes overnight/overweekend) only to be ripped open the second you get it in the hot/humid house.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, thanks everyone for responding. Glad to know it will survive the temperature range!