Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 98 Old 12-02-2010, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmoballen View Post

I've been gaming pretty intensely on a vt25 for the past 2-3 months. I see IR here and there (played NFS:HP and the white speedometer left IR after playing for 7 straight hours) but it has gone away within an hour of switching the tv to full screen cable content (without any static logos of course).

This is the first plasma I've gamed on and it's been fantastic. Everything from fast paced FPS'es to racing games to rhythm games to fighters are fantastic and show little to no lag.

Awesome, thanks for the input. 7 hours is a pretty nice marathon for NFS:HP. That game makes my eyes feel like they are bleeding after about 2!

Just curious, when you say little to no lag, have you actually noticed lag in anything? For me it's all about whether or not I can tell it's there. With my older LCD's I could never detect it so I would imagine my threshold isn't too incredibly low. It's probably somewhere around 30 ms or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 98 Old 12-02-2010, 01:24 PM

Just to add. I just bought a Panasonic TC-P50U2 and it works great.

I never heard of input lagg and do not get it on the TV. I came from gaming on a old RPTV and haven't noticed any difference in response. Though the PQ is waaaaaaay better on this TV.

I would stick with plasma for gaming and they are up in the 600's for refresh rates. LCD and LEDs don't even come close to that right now.

A family member of mine just bought a Samsung LED and though it looks incredible, it has some issue when things start moving fast on screen. Though I havent seen a game on it yet.
post #33 of 98 Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post

Just to add. I just bought a Panasonic TC-P50U2 and it works great.

I never heard of input lagg and do not get it on the TV. I came from gaming on a old RPTV and haven't noticed any difference in response. Though the PQ is waaaaaaay better on this TV.

I would stick with plasma for gaming and they are up in the 600's for refresh rates. LCD and LEDs don't even come close to that right now.

A family member of mine just bought a Samsung LED and though it looks incredible, it has some issue when things start moving fast on screen. Though I havent seen a game on it yet.

Thanks SirDrums, nice to hear from another satisfied Panasonic owner. I haven't noticed any problems with fast moving images on my Samsung so far, football and basketball both look fantastic.

How does the PQ of your family member's Samsung compare to your TC-P50U2?
post #34 of 98 Old 12-02-2010, 01:58 PM

I honestly believe the g25 is plenty bright. I run it in thx mode with contrast at only 45 and an over head light that is 75 watts and its still plenty bright, however everybody has preferences and what i think is bright might look dull to somebody else if they are used the 10,000 ftl leds

As far as motion blur plasmas are supposed to better then lcds so your going to get just as much or more blurring on an lcd even if it does fake 120hz or 240hz interpolation. The pq on the g25 is great best ive seen so far but of all the hdtvs i have seen ive yet to see an led that was properly set up only the ones in best buy that are way to blown out with the contrast and backlighting.
post #35 of 98 Old 12-02-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Darkest_Red View Post

Thanks for the response. I'm really interested to see how the PQ of a G20 compares to the Samsung LED I have now, hopefully it won't look worse but judging by what you're saying it definitely seems like a possibility.

Honestly I never would have thought that input lag was a big deal but trust me, it is VERY annoying when you notice it. I understand that there are other inherent issues with online FPS gaming (such as the host advantage and server latency you mentioned) but they are issues you can't really help unless you get a faster internet connection.

With input lag the big problem is that you can FEEL the issue and SEE its impacts much more easily than you can with host advantage. Just imagine going to line up a headshot and feeling like your reticule is "floating" past the target. Even when it's not significant it can be quite annoying. In game mode the games are not necessarily unplayable but there is just a constant voice in my head reminding me that my motions are not as fluid as they could be (or used to be).

Anyway, what type of plasmas do you have? Any 2010 models?

2006 42" Panasonic 60u 720p,
2007 (or maybe 08 cant remember) 42" Panasonic 80u 720p
2009 Panasonic TC-P50S1 1080p NeoPDP that Im currently using for games.

No 2010 models. Gaming is smooth and no noticible input lag. I think the the panasonic plasmas do well with the input lag test on this forum, can't remember.

There all great though, none of them ever suffered any permedent IR or burn in.

The motion resolution on the S1 is crystal clear. No blurring what so ever. Just as clear in full motion as it is still. However, I think they lack the punch and crisp detail of the current set your playing on, but thats just my opinion.
post #36 of 98 Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice srixon. The s2 is another model I'm considering. When you say it has low input lag do you mean low as in you notice but it doesn't bother you or low as in unnoticeable? The reason I ask is because I can't stand the feeling of input lag even if it is low, I need it low enough that I can't tell it's there.

low as in i can't notice any lag at all. zero lag issues. i play mw2, black ops and uncharted 2 zero lag issues. i am also very sensitive to input lag as i returned a samsung ln46c630 a month ago. lag was extremely horrible even with gamemode. i read somewhere on this site where they said 60ms of lag with the sammies. they were right, i couldn't deal with the lag so i returned it for this s2 since the price are similar. i winded up with 2 benefits while getting the s2......four more inches in screen size, and no noticeable lag.

oh yeah the graphics are better with the panny's....the lcd's with game mode on would lessen the graphics compared with the other modes.

i grew up playing games with a crt tv. the response time with the s2's feel like the old crt tv's. which is awesome!
post #37 of 98 Old 12-03-2010, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srixon View Post

low as in i can't notice any lag at all. zero lag issues. i play mw2, black ops and uncharted 2 zero lag issues. i am also very sensitive to input lag as i returned a samsung ln46c630 a month ago. lag was extremely horrible even with gamemode. i read somewhere on this site where they said 60ms of lag with the sammies. they were right, i couldn't deal with the lag so i returned it for this s2 since the price are similar. i winded up with 2 benefits while getting the s2......four more inches in screen size, and no noticeable lag.

oh yeah the graphics are better with the panny's....the lcd's with game mode on would lessen the graphics compared with the other modes.

i grew up playing games with a crt tv. the response time with the s2's feel like the old crt tv's. which is awesome!

It sounds like you went through the same situation that I'm currently stuck in. The input lag I have on my Samsung is unnoticeable on platformer or action type games but I can start to feel it just a bit on Black Ops and Halo: Reach. It's good to hear that the Panasonic PQ holds up to the Samsung LCD's although I can't notice much of a drop in PQ when I enable game mode.

By the way Uncharted 2 is an amazing game! I haven't tried that yet on my new TV, I would imagine it's quite a spectacle.
post #38 of 98 Old 12-03-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Awesome, thanks for the input. 7 hours is a pretty nice marathon for NFS:HP. That game makes my eyes feel like they are bleeding after about 2!

Just curious, when you say little to no lag, have you actually noticed lag in anything? For me it's all about whether or not I can tell it's there. With my older LCD's I could never detect it so I would imagine my threshold isn't too incredibly low. It's probably somewhere around 30 ms or so.

I used to have a Westinghouse TV which had pretty bad lag.

I also play rock band a good bit, and the lag settings (auto calibrated) show lower lag than 3 other tv's I've previously played on.
post #39 of 98 Old 12-03-2010, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

One thing I'm super bummed about is how much money I'll end up losing if I exchange the LED for a plasma at this point. I got my 46" Samsung LED on Black Friday with a $120 blu-ray player for $999. I checked Best Buy's website yesterday and the price of my TV (without the blu-ray player) is now $1300! So I essentially paid $900 for the TV and saved $400. The 50" Panasonic G20 at Best Buy is $1100, meaning I'll have to pay $200 out of pocket even though the TV I have now sells for $200 more at retail!

Oh well, I guess that's the price you pay when you take a chance on a Black Friday deal.
post #40 of 98 Old 12-03-2010, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmoballen View Post

I used to have a Westinghouse TV which had pretty bad lag.

I also play rock band a good bit, and the lag settings (auto calibrated) show lower lag than 3 other tv's I've previously played on.

That's good to know. Do you remember what the video lag was after the Rock Band calibration?
post #41 of 98 Old 12-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One thing I'm super bummed about is how much money I'll end up losing if I exchange the LED for a plasma at this point. I got my 46" Samsung LED on Black Friday with a $120 blu-ray player for $999. I checked Best Buy's website yesterday and the price of my TV (without the blu-ray player) is now $1300! So I essentially paid $900 for the TV and saved $400. The 50" Panasonic G20 at Best Buy is $1100, meaning I'll have to pay $200 out of pocket even though the TV I have now sells for $200 more at retail!

Oh well, I guess that's the price you pay when you take a chance on a Black Friday deal.

This doesn't make much sense, you can get the full price you paid back, and have had enjoyment of the set since you bought it? You actually think they should give you credit for more than what you paid?

KRP-500M
Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH
post #42 of 98 Old 12-03-2010, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy11 View Post

This doesn't make much sense, you can get the full price you paid back, and have had enjoyment of the set since you bought it? You actually think they should give you credit for more than what you paid?

No I'm not saying I deserve any more credit I'm just saying it's unfortunate that I will be paying $1100 for a TV after receiving my $900 back for a TV that's worth $1300. I was just noting that it's unfortunate that the more expensive (as far as retail worth) set I have now doesn't suit my needs.

Basically I'm losing all the goodness I got out of that Black Friday deal. I'm just bummed that it didn't work out for me. It was such a great deal but now I don't get to reap the benefits. It's no one's fault or anything I just felt like complaining.
post #43 of 98 Old 12-22-2010, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

So I guess I'm going with the Panasonic G20. I have a 50" model ready for pick up at Best Buy so hopefully everything goes smoothly! The only thing I'm worried about now is IR. I've been reading the G20/G25 owner's thread and there are so many conflicting opinions as to the severity of the IR threat these days. It's got me worried but hopefully I'm over-reacting.
post #44 of 98 Old 12-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So I guess I'm going with the Panasonic G20. I have a 50" model ready for pick up at Best Buy so hopefully everything goes smoothly! The only thing I'm worried about now is IR. I've been reading the G20/G25 owner's thread and there are so many conflicting opinions as to the severity of the IR threat these days. It's got me worried but hopefully I'm over-reacting.

Stick to 50 or lower contrast and shouldn't be a problem.
post #45 of 98 Old 12-22-2010, 09:19 AM

I got the Panasonic P50g20 from best buy last thursday and have been playing Black Ops on it alot. There's no input lag as far as I can tell

My little system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #46 of 98 Old 12-22-2010, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshredder27 View Post

Stick to 50 or lower contrast and shouldn't be a problem.

That's the plan.

I probably won't play one game for more than an hour or so for at least a few weeks or until I reach the magical 100 hour mark. Thanks for the tip.
post #47 of 98 Old 12-22-2010, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMaMa84 View Post

I got the Panasonic P50g20 from best buy last thursday and have been playing Black Ops on it alot. There's no input lag as far as I can tell

Awesome! That's the same TV I just got and I also got mine from Best Buy. One of the main reasons I wanted it was for low input lag so it's nice to hear someone say that the input lag isn't noticeable.

How are you liking the TV so far? Any IR?
post #48 of 98 Old 12-22-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Awesome! That's the same TV I just got and I also got mine from Best Buy. One of the main reasons I wanted it was for low input lag so it's nice to hear someone say that the input lag isn't noticeable.

I love it, great PQ

No IR......and i've checked a couple times.

My little system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #49 of 98 Old 12-22-2010, 11:55 PM

Best thread ever!! I registered just to comment (though I've lurked here before to research this very issue). This is EXACTLY what I'm going through (minus the actual purchase).

My story is I first encountered this problem when my friend bought a new TV about 3 years ago (not sure what model) and we played Guitar Hero. I'm pretty good at it but on his TV I freaking sucked. It killed the fun when it's almost an eighth note off the beat. And I'm almost unable to play off the beat (opposite problem of some people I suppose). Nobody else noticed which ASTOUNDED me because it is SO FREAKING OBVIOUS, but oh well. Must be nice to live in such oblivion.

So I went to Fry's electronics about a year and a half ago and looked at all sorts of TVs, keeping input lag in mind. I'll be pissed if my foray into HDTV's means I have to sacrifice gaming. Because with input lag, gaming just feels disconnected. It's no fun. I was at first sure I wanted a plasma since at the time they just looked better (LED TV's were ridiculously expensive then. I can't believe how quickly they came down in price). But then I read about IR, and I have my media center PC hooked up to my TV, which makes for a nice Tivo equivalent except I have 2 TB of storage I can also toss my DVD player and don't need a separate BluRay player either. Anyway, add in the fragility of plasma (I've heard if you are moving you have to be really careful it stays absolutely vertical), and the extra energy costs, and the weight...so I started to swing LCD.

But I actually brought in my PS2 to the store and hooked it up, and again the lag was TERRIBLE! In GameMode on the Samsung I tried (which had a nice picture otherwise), the lag was ... better ... but still really annoying. And the picture looked like $#%@. In Metal Gear Solid it looked decent until you moved the camera. Then everything lost all focus and got all blurry until you stopped moving, then it was okay again. But even so, the GameMode was 480p resolution and unlike the non-GameMode mode, the picture looked awful. I was going to drop $1200 for that?? Pass.

Now I'm again looking into it, but I'm really shy of pulling the trigger and buying a TV because I'm so afraid I'll regret it - mostly due to gaming input lag. Also a little afraid of standard def. content looking crappy, but that's another issue....

I'm driving myself NUTS looking for a TV, but I don't want to be stuck with something I don't like. Once I purchase something, I tend to hold onto it until it dies.

SO. I'm now looking at the Samsung UN46C6300SFXZA LED TV at BestBuy for $1200. But (I'm almost done here, promise), then I talked to a friend, and he gushed about Panasonic's plasma TVs, and now I'm swinging towards getting a plasma again. That was my original instinct, and despite all of LEDs advantages, the picture on plasma...it just looks better. At least it sure used to a year and a half ago. I might be out of date now. It's impossible to tell in the store - they are all hooked up to a lousy daisy chained feed with messed up color & contrast settings and so many images and commercials flash by that you're lucky if you walk out of there without having a seizure.

Anyway, bottom line is: I'm looking for a 46" TV that will rock my world, without me having to sacrifice the enjoyment of a good video game. And I'm still confused about that Samsung. It looked super-sharp, and ridiculously bright, but everything also looked really fake. I mean, I like a little saturated colors - I'm not the type that needs 100% accurate color reproduction - but that TV was ridiculous. I hope it's just the calibration.

DarkestRed - I can't wait to see what you think! Thank you very much for starting this thread. If anyone has other suggestions for 46" TVs, I'm all ears, because I can't take any more researching, researching, researching. It's been 2 years on & off and I'm almost at the point where I just want to buy something - ANYTHING - to get it over with. But now I can hold off just a little longer

Looking forward to hearing your input and feedback! gl!
post #50 of 98 Old 12-23-2010, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by unpocoloco View Post

Anyway, bottom line is: I'm looking for a 46" TV that will rock my world, without me having to sacrifice the enjoyment of a good video game. And I'm still confused about that Samsung. It looked super-sharp, and ridiculously bright, but everything also looked really fake. I mean, I like a little saturated colors - I'm not the type that needs 100% accurate color reproduction - but that TV was ridiculous. I hope it's just the calibration.

DarkestRed - I can't wait to see what you think! Thank you very much for starting this thread. If anyone has other suggestions for 46" TVs, I'm all ears, because I can't take any more researching, researching, researching. It's been 2 years on & off and I'm almost at the point where I just want to buy something - ANYTHING - to get it over with. But now I can hold off just a little longer

Panasonic makes the only 46" plasmas right now.

Why not 50", though? 50" plasmas are typically about the same price as 46".
post #51 of 98 Old 12-30-2010, 03:56 PM

I've been checking these out as well, and the Panny P42S2 is currently only $499 + $29 shipping at Newegg. Not sure why the blow-out price, but real good. With it's mention above, I might jump at it. Any thoughts on this particular model for gaming on Xbox360 with Kinect?
post #52 of 98 Old 12-30-2010, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just purchased 50 inch G20, i had a 40 inch samsung lcd and I can tell u that the input lag is way better than samsung on game mode,the IR is pretty much non existent,I played about an hour and a half this morning and no IR at all, I promise the G20 is the way to go for gaming, you will feel pure beast gaming on this set
post #53 of 98 Old 12-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Is LED/LCD better for gaming or Plasma? I have a Pio Elite Kuro that I do NOT want to use for gaming. I'm thinking of getting a flatscreen just for gaming, what do you recommend? Nothing expensive either!
post #54 of 98 Old 12-30-2010, 06:10 PM

This is a great thread. Curious how OP is enjoying his new G20.

I have a P42G25 coming tomorrow and am a big gamer (as is my 7yr old son with his Wii). Of course, I'm going to have to be vigilant about IR but there's only so much I can control as I work every day and am not here to police him. Hopefully I can at least adjust the timing the screensaver turns on if he leaves the TV on pause for a while.

Prior to this one, I just returned a Samsung UN40C6300SF. Gorgeous LED, but throw in any moving pictures (especially HD quality, blu-ray, ps3) and it's ghosting/trailing all over. Horrible for gaming.

Anyway, happy this thread exists for Plasma gamers.
post #55 of 98 Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post

Is LED/LCD better for gaming or Plasma? I have a Pio Elite Kuro that I do NOT want to use for gaming. I'm thinking of getting a flatscreen just for gaming, what do you recommend? Nothing expensive either!

My good friend uses his Elite for gaming. Looks gorgeous... Highly recommend at least trying it.
post #56 of 98 Old 01-11-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:

Well I'm eager to find out your opinion The_Darkest_Red on your purchase! After all your research, what is your rating on this Panasonic Plasma? I'm researching for a good gaming TV for my Teenage son who is an avid gamer and very sensitive to gaming lag. Please help!
post #57 of 98 Old 01-15-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpocoloco View Post

Best thread ever!!...

...because I can't take any more researching, researching, researching. It's been 2 years on & off and I'm almost at the point where I just want to buy something - ANYTHING - to get it over with. But now I can hold off just a little longer

Amen!

I'm in almost the exact same situation. My 6 year old 46" Samsung DLP is on it's last legs (I had the light engine replaced under warranty after 2 years, but now the same symptoms are starting to rear their ugly head and there is no way I am shelling out $800+ to repair it this time). I have loved the TV while I've had it, even though it is only 1080i. The motion blur was minimal and only really noticeable on some animated movies (Shark Tale being the absolute worst!), and after replacing the light engine, and then the bulb last year (after 8,000+ hours!) it was like getting a new TV every few years.

However, the input lag on that TV was HORRIBLE! I had the same issues with Guitar Hero as mentioned in an earlier post. I'm a little older, and a big music lover, so I had a real hard time trying to play that game off beat...whereas my kids played the game as a game and didn't seem to have the same problem. I also have seen huge lag problems in CoD Black Ops, such as watching kill cam replays where I thought an enemy was standing directly in front of me as I was firing, only to see that when he killed me he was actually beside me (this could also be connection lag, but I'm guessing the TV was 75% to blame).

Anyhow, I'm now looking for a replacement and I'm torn between getting and LCD/LED and a Plasma. I am concerned about the IR in the plasmas, but I just can't deal with another TV with lag issues. It seems like Samsungs in either case are the biggest offenders, so I'll be avoiding them all together...even though I still think they have one of the best looking pictures. I'm little restricted on size because of the room I have the TV in and the console it's going into, so a 50" would be the absolute max I could consider. And I have a max budget of about $1500, so unfortunately, the Panny VT's are probably out of the question.

I'm pretty much looking at the Panasonic 50" S2 and the Sony 46" KDEX710...any thoughts between the 2?
post #58 of 98 Old 01-15-2011, 05:13 PM

I have played on a 2008 Panasonic TV and had no input lag. I have played on my Pioneer Kuro and have had no input lag and i have played on my 2010 GT25 Panasonic and have had no problems with input lag.

my advice, buy a Panny. I can't speak on Samsung specifically, but I like Panasonic. The Panasonic suffer from a few issues I guess, but I'm no A/V genius so most of it i'll never notice.

http://www.us-appliance.com/tcp50gt25.html

Go there, buy a 50" GT25 for $997 shipped and have 3D included. Or have Amazon pricematch to $997, they will because they did for me.
post #59 of 98 Old 01-15-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTurtle View Post

Amen!

I'm in almost the exact same situation. My 6 year old 46" Samsung DLP is on it's last legs (I had the light engine replaced under warranty after 2 years, but now the same symptoms are starting to rear their ugly head and there is no way I am shelling out $800+ to repair it this time). I have loved the TV while I've had it, even though it is only 1080i. The motion blur was minimal and only really noticeable on some animated movies (Shark Tale being the absolute worst!), and after replacing the light engine, and then the bulb last year (after 8,000+ hours!) it was like getting a new TV every few years.

However, the input lag on that TV was HORRIBLE! I had the same issues with Guitar Hero as mentioned in an earlier post. I'm a little older, and a big music lover, so I had a real hard time trying to play that game off beat...whereas my kids played the game as a game and didn't seem to have the same problem. I also have seen huge lag problems in CoD Black Ops, such as watching kill cam replays where I thought an enemy was standing directly in front of me as I was firing, only to see that when he killed me he was actually beside me (this could also be connection lag, but I'm guessing the TV was 75% to blame).

Anyhow, I'm now looking for a replacement and I'm torn between getting and LCD/LED and a Plasma. I am concerned about the IR in the plasmas, but I just can't deal with another TV with lag issues. It seems like Samsungs in either case are the biggest offenders, so I'll be avoiding them all together...even though I still think they have one of the best looking pictures. I'm little restricted on size because of the room I have the TV in and the console it's going into, so a 50" would be the absolute max I could consider. And I have a max budget of about $1500, so unfortunately, the Panny VT's are probably out of the question.

I'm pretty much looking at the Panasonic 50" S2 and the Sony 46" KDEX710...any thoughts between the 2?

same thing I just posted man. The 50" GT25 can be had for $997 or easily under $1200 on most websites and it's a good TV. I can only speak specifically on my Kuro but it doesn't retain ANYTHING. All plasmas I know of have pixel orbiters that move around and keep IR from happening. It shouldn't be a concern to be completely honest.
post #60 of 98 Old 01-15-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTurtle View Post

Amen!

Ninja, I had bought a Samsung 46 LCD the day before thanksgiving. I had it nearly for a month, but the gaming lag, size of the TV, and the lack of quality in picture sent me looking for a new TV. I am a first time plasma owner and was very afraid of buying one due to IR and burn-in problems, buzzing (mainly Samsung models from reading on AVS). I wound up with a Panny G20 which has left my jaw drop to the floor with THX mode. I can only imagine how this would be if I had it calibrated.

For games, I do not think you can go wrong with the G20. I play about 1.5 hours a night on the G20 with my PS3. I get very little IR and is only noticeable on the input screens, nothing while watching movies or TV. I just run regular TV content afterwards or my wife does the next day while I'm at work and it is gone. I had one day where the IR lasted for a few hours, but did go away.

I would go with the G20 or G25 with your budget. It is probably the best TV that I have ever owned and I loved my Samsung DLP that I had before this. Good luck man.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page