James Cameron's Preferred Settings for VT25 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 166 Old 12-03-2010, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think all it did was unlock the 3d pro settings for regular users. After setting mine to the recommended settings, the 3d picture is much better. Someone who has had their 3d picture calibrated by Dnice or another professional should probably not install the update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 166 Old 12-03-2010, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I had my set calibrated, but not the 3D modes. Wondering if I should do this or if it will mess up my ISF settings on the non 3D side.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #33 of 166 Old 12-03-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I used D-Nice service menu offsets and menu settings. I wonder if it is still worth it.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #34 of 166 Old 12-03-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardkt View Post

Just got my vt25, great set. Where can I find the 3.5 firmware? I just see 3.0 at the Panasonic support site. Thanks.

There's link on 2nd or 3rd reply
post #35 of 166 Old 12-03-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardkt View Post
Just got my vt25, great set. Where can I find the 3.5 firmware? I just see 3.0 at the Panasonic support site. Thanks.
just scroll up to post #2 for the link
post #36 of 166 Old 12-03-2010, 02:02 PM

I have the 50 inch GT model will this 3D update work well in it? Anyone use this yet?

Also have an issue with 48hz 24p... Panasonic ignores my plea for an answer they ignore the fact it's unwatchable except in 60hz mode any answers here?
post #37 of 166 Old 12-03-2010, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
D-Nice has advised me, in an email, NOT to download the update. It will void the calibrated settings. He also advised that Panasonic will be addressing the issue. Hope this helps.
post #38 of 166 Old 12-03-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

D-Nice has advised me, in an email, NOT to download the update. It will void the calibrated settings. He also advised that Panasonic will be addressing the issue. Hope this helps.

Not to download, that is, if you have paid for a professional calibration.
post #39 of 166 Old 12-03-2010, 08:43 PM

I have a 58" VT25 and have installed the 3.5 firmware. The one thing I do notice is that color banding seems greatly reduced in the 2D picture. As mentioned by other posters the firmware update did not affect any of the user settings so I assume some service level changes were made. IMO much improved with no discernable difference in brightness or contrast. Still need to check out changes in 3D. Waiting for my free Avatar disc to arrive.
post #40 of 166 Old 12-04-2010, 05:36 PM

I am definitely knew to the plasma world as well as technically challenged. I love the tech but don't understand it. I have had my 58VT25 for two weeks and going through the break in process... playing the slides over night... yada yada yada. Now I see this 3.5 firmware update. Some suggest do it and others not to because, it will void out those calibrations that have been done (understandable). If I have not had mine calibrated YET would it be wise to install update and then have it calibrated or will it effect a proper professional calibration...? It looks like just the 3D is changed and doesn't effect the 2D. Does this "optimum" setting for Avatar also going to improve quality for all movies/tv shows or just for this one. (seems that would be severe over kill for just one movie)

(I'm still not convinced I got the right TV. Going back and forth if I should trade in for 63 C8000 by sammy I have 45 days to do so).
post #41 of 166 Old 12-05-2010, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO you should always have the most current firmware installed before getting your set calibrated.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #42 of 166 Old 12-07-2010, 07:34 AM

Hello All,
After much debate I decided to download the firmware update except it refused to install. After 6 trys on 3 different SD cards I called Panasonic yesterday. The code 0013 comes up and the techs at Pana had no idea their was even a firmware release of 3.5. They did however have several calls from other set owners with the same problem that I have. They have promised to get back to me. So for the moment it's a dead issue for me. Since I cannot do anything with Cameron's settings even if I want to. I will keep everyone updated as to a forthcoming resolution and what it does if I ever get it to install.
post #43 of 166 Old 12-08-2010, 06:09 AM

According to D-Nice, this is one of the flaws the 3.5 firmware fixes:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1278465

Looks like 3.5 fixes bugs and is not just 3D settings ...

And here is another one by D-Nice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Firmware 3.5 does not change SM settings. It changes items on the Factory/Engineering level which the SM sits on top of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

If you have not had your set calibrated and/or do not have any plans on using my settings, feel free to update your firmware to 3.5.

Seems like he suggests the firmware to those who hasn't done calibration yet and to those who plan on doing another calibration after the install.
I guess everyone who has already calibrated their VT25 should plan for another calibration unless they don't want the new Panasonic engineering bug fixes.

post #44 of 166 Old 12-09-2010, 12:58 PM

Liked: 15
So if the James Cameron settings are "ideal" for watching 3D, what are the "ideal" settings for watching Avatar in 2D?
post #45 of 166 Old 12-10-2010, 01:16 PM

The James Cameron Settings have been changed. With The VT25 you must download the file and install it.

With the GT series they have done away with the file ( it did not work anyway ) and the settings have a walk thru and you just set them as shown. From what the techs tell me this is common for Japan if something does not work they just change it and say nothing.

I asked the difference between the two sets. They said ( 1 ) HDMI port and the 2D to 3D conversion. I ask if VT owners can get the 2D to 3D they said no it requires a different engine set???
post #46 of 166 Old 12-15-2010, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I had Lee Gallagher do a calibration on my 65VT25 today. This was the 1st one he has done with the 3.5 firmware installed. He was not able to identify any differences in the VT25 in 2D mode on this firmware, but he remarked on how much better both grayscale and colors are with the new firmware in 3D mode. After he was done, he set up a custom mode with the Cameron settings that I can use to compare with ISF-night mode (which he recommends for 3D). On initial comparison, the ISF-night mode is clearly superior in color and detail although some tweaking in the Cameron custom mode might bring it more in line. I'd suggest starting with gamma a notch lower than Cameron's recommendation.

Lee also stressed that anyone who has already had ISF calibration done should NOT use the 3.5 firmware unless you wish to have the calibration re-done. Essentially he explained that the 3.5 firmware seems to bring the set closer to ideal but is intended for people who have not had calibration and don't intend to. For those who have had calibration done it offers nothing and could mess up the calibration.
post #47 of 166 Old 12-16-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I had Lee Gallagher do a calibration on my 65VT25 today. This was the 1st one he has done with the 3.5 firmware installed. He was not able to identify any differences in the VT25 in 2D mode on this firmware, but he remarked on how much better both grayscale and colors are with the new firmware in 3D mode. After he was done, he set up a custom mode with the Cameron settings that I can use to compare with ISF-night mode (which he recommends for 3D). On initial comparison, the ISF-night mode is clearly superior in color and detail although some tweaking in the Cameron custom mode might bring it more in line. I'd suggest starting with gamma a notch lower than Cameron's recommendation.

Lee also stressed that anyone who has already had ISF calibration done should NOT use the 3.5 firmware unless you wish to have the calibration re-done. Essentially he explained that the 3.5 firmware seems to bring the set closer to ideal but is intended for people who have not had calibration and don't intend to. For those who have had calibration done it offers nothing and could mess up the calibration.

To clarify, the update will improve 3D performance even if the display was previously calibrated. The improvements version 3.5 provides in color reproduction can't be equaled on a set utilizing version 3.0, calibrated or not.
Most calibrators will offer discounts on follow up appointments and touch-ups. I recommend speaking with your calibrator if you want to update to the new firmware.

Lee Gallagher
Imaging Science Professional
THX Certified Professional

Advanced Audio Visual
www.advancedaudiovisual.tv
post #48 of 166 Old 12-16-2010, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

So, to clarify further, if you have had your set ISF/THX calibrated but did not calibrate the 3d modes will upgrading to 3.5 affect your ISF 2d settings?
Thank-you.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #49 of 166 Old 12-16-2010, 05:34 AM

I haven't tested it yet personally, but it has been reported that there is a very good probability of this happening.

Lee Gallagher

Advanced Audio Visual
post #50 of 166 Old 12-16-2010, 07:26 AM

is it bad to have the panel brightness set on high for 3d? If you are watching a 3d movie with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 wouldnt your plasma be more susceptible to burn in?
post #51 of 166 Old 12-16-2010, 07:33 AM

noob question

how much do professional calibrations run?? i'm sure they're all different but is there a range?

thx

hopefully this is ok to ask... i still haven't figured out why price discussion is not allowed here but i also haven't spent much time attempting to figure it out
post #52 of 166 Old 12-16-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lforigno View Post

is it bad to have the panel brightness set on high for 3d? If you are watching a 3d movie with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 wouldnt your plasma be more susceptible to burn in?

It's not necessarily bad and I wouldn't worry about permanent burn-in. You may experience some temporary image retention, but that will correct itself.
It's my experience that setting panel brightness to high introduces additional noise. I leave the panel brightness at Mid on all modes.

Lee Gallagher

Advanced Audio Visual
post #53 of 166 Old 12-16-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonlou View Post

noob question

how much do professional calibrations run?? i'm sure they're all different but is there a range?

thx

hopefully this is ok to ask... i still haven't figured out why price discussion is not allowed here but i also haven't spent much time attempting to figure it out

This varies calibrator to calibrator and from city to city. If possible, I would contact and interview calibrators in your area and ask them about their experience level, equipment they use and the services that they will perform. All calibrators are not created equal. And as you will find in various threads on this forum, you usually get what you pay for.
In general, I would say anywhere from $350.00 to $600.00+ depending on the display. This assumes that everything will be calibrated including 3D and source components.

Lee Gallagher

Advanced Audio Visual
post #54 of 166 Old 12-17-2010, 05:01 AM

If updating firmware negates calibration, why would you ever have your tv calibrated. Im new to this and am confused why anyone would do this have their tv calibrated that is. If updates fix problems with tv's and calibraters help with PQ, do I really have to choose between the two, or do I have to spend thousands on calibrations every year after updates come to my tv. Do all updates have this problem or just this one.
post #55 of 166 Old 12-17-2010, 05:21 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambyland View Post

If updating firmware negates calibration, why would you ever have your tv calibrated. Im new to this and am confused why anyone would do this have their tv calibrated that is. If updates fix problems with tv's and calibraters help with PQ, do I really have to choose between the two, or do I have to spend thousands on calibrations every year after updates come to my tv. Do all updates have this problem or just this one.

This is definitely not typical.
post #56 of 166 Old 12-17-2010, 08:08 PM

I have 65VT25, have done DNICE break in, SM Offsets and his settings. Picture in 2D is very good. I just did the 3.5 Firmware update with USB device, I had one glitch at the very last step after intialization the TV turns off auto then is to turn back on in 10 secs it didn't seem to do so. I redid the upgrade and this time it did but it was very hard to tell the screen is very dim, but I notice the red light back on, so it worked. I did the 3D Custom settings. I viewed Cloudy with Chance of Meatballs, the picture was excellent, popped of screen, very vibrant with great detail, I am very impressed.

Another minor glitch, when I tried to play 3D, it came up in TV that I have to have 3D TV and player which I do. I turned off and back on and all was well. It didn't change any 2d settings however I haven't had a chance to watch 2D, will do so shortly. Very happy...

Hurk

Watch Lord of the Rings Twin Towers, THX mode with D-NICE settings somewhat Tweaked for more pop, picture was still outstanding, it was probably just me but the picture even seemed better after 3.5
post #57 of 166 Old 12-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post
I have 65VT25, have done DNICE break in, SM Offsets and his settings. Picture in 2D is very good. I just did the 3.5 Firmware update with USB device, I had one glitch at the very last step after intialization the TV turns off auto then is to turn back on in 10 secs it didn't seem to do so. I redid the upgrade and this time it did but it was very hard to tell the screen is very dim, but I notice the red light back on, so it worked. I did the 3D Custom settings. I viewed Cloudy with Chance of Meatballs, the picture was excellent, popped of screen, very vibrant with great detail, I am very impressed.

Another minor glitch, when I tried to play 3D, it came up in TV that I have to have 3D TV and player which I do. I turned off and back on and all was well. It didn't change any 2d settings however I haven't had a chance to watch 2D, will do so shortly. Very happy...

Hurk

Watch Lord of the Rings Twin Towers, THX mode with D-NICE settings somewhat Tweaked for more pop, picture was still outstanding, it was probably just me but the picture even seemed better after 3.5

So you are happy with the results thus far, are you planning on getting it professionally calibrated?
post #58 of 166 Old 12-21-2010, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 194
FWIW, I ran some comparisons between the Cameron settings in custom mode and my IFS-night mode which was calibrated for 3D. The difference is not small. Using FW revision 3.5, the Cameron settings are seriously too hot. Both the panel brightness and gamma need to come down. Watching several darker scenes from Christmas Carol, walls and shadows that should be dark brown to gray are a deep burgundy color with the Cameron settings, also very blotchy. On bright scenes, sparkling pixels are all over the place. In short, the Cameron settings are nowhere near being "accurate" for 3D and seem to be aimed at providing the brightest image possible without regard to grayscale or color accuracy.
post #59 of 166 Old 12-21-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It IS James Cameron so what do you expect? He has to terminate the color on your TV so that you're focusing on something other than how awful his films are (in this case the pretty, over-saturated colors).
post #60 of 166 Old 12-21-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

It IS James Cameron so what do you expect? He has to terminate the color on your TV so that you're focusing on something other than how awful his films are (in this case the pretty, over-saturated colors).

Yea, they are so awful they are only the highest grossing movies in the history of the world. Someone must like them.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page