James Cameron's Preferred Settings for VT25 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 166 Old 12-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Newbie
 
BiggusDiccus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using the JC setting for a few movies now. Besides, Avatar Despicable Me looked the best. The yellow color of the minions looked awesome. The whole movie had a diorama or puppet show feel. I love my plasma! Almost as much as I love my pt-ae4000u projector on my 120" 2.35:1 screen. True love... *sigh*
BiggusDiccus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 166 Old 12-28-2010, 06:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Hurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post
It was the Panny Glasses, the 2nd generation ones. I changed glasses, fully charged and it Worked perfect. I put JC settings back to his original ones and great picture. Prior to that it looked like it was jumping in and out of 3D just for a brief millisecond. The glasses I was using I believe was low on power.

I just (Dec 26) purchased 2 more pairs, 2 of the three glasses still have the blur out of 3d issue, crap glasses. I will contacting Panasonic. Have already sent back original glasses as battery contact did not work without holding it.

Hurk
Got a response from Panasonic, said I have to sit no further than 10 feet from TV, I am 12 feet. I will try at 10 ft spot
Hurk is offline  
post #93 of 166 Old 12-28-2010, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ThePrisoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

FWIW, I ran some comparisons between the Cameron settings in custom mode and my IFS-night mode which was calibrated for 3D. The difference is not small. Using FW revision 3.5, the Cameron settings are seriously too hot. Both the panel brightness and gamma need to come down. Watching several darker scenes from Christmas Carol, walls and shadows that should be dark brown to gray are a deep burgundy color with the Cameron settings, also very blotchy. On bright scenes, sparkling pixels are all over the place. In short, the Cameron settings are nowhere near being "accurate" for 3D and seem to be aimed at providing the brightest image possible without regard to grayscale or color accuracy.

Good to know. I did the 3.5 firmware on my VT25 but in late January I'm having it ISF calibrated. I really don't mind what I'm seeing in 3D mode but I am looking forward to proper gray scale!

Panasonic 60GT30
Onkyo 838
Oppo 103
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST CS-8060HD SR-8040BP ProMonitor 800 (front heights)
SVS 2x PC12-NSD
Dolby Atmos 5.2.2
ThePrisoner is online now  
post #94 of 166 Old 12-28-2010, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
Good to know. I did the 3.5 firmware on my VT25 but in late January I'm having it ISF calibrated. I really don't mind what I'm seeing in 3D mode but I am looking forward to proper gray scale!
One thing you won't get with the JC settings is proper grayscale. You will get a decent tan however.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #95 of 166 Old 12-28-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
^^^



Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #96 of 166 Old 12-29-2010, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ThePrisoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

One thing you won't get with the JC settings is proper grayscale. You will get a decent tan however.

Lol! Not a real good tan though, I lowered gamma back to 2.2 and set panel brightness to medium.

Panasonic 60GT30
Onkyo 838
Oppo 103
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST CS-8060HD SR-8040BP ProMonitor 800 (front heights)
SVS 2x PC12-NSD
Dolby Atmos 5.2.2
ThePrisoner is online now  
post #97 of 166 Old 12-29-2010, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ThePrisoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
double post

Panasonic 60GT30
Onkyo 838
Oppo 103
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST CS-8060HD SR-8040BP ProMonitor 800 (front heights)
SVS 2x PC12-NSD
Dolby Atmos 5.2.2
ThePrisoner is online now  
post #98 of 166 Old 12-29-2010, 05:49 AM
Member
 
lforigno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a vt25 and do not plan on using JC settings, but should I still update to 3.5??
lforigno is offline  
post #99 of 166 Old 12-29-2010, 06:51 AM
Newbie
 
BiggusDiccus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@RDgrimes: Let's see your settings please.
BiggusDiccus is offline  
post #100 of 166 Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by lforigno View Post

I have a vt25 and do not plan on using JC settings, but should I still update to 3.5??

The general consensus seems to be: yes unless you have had a pro calibration done. Mainly 3.5 effects 3D mode. There will eventually be an "official release" of 3.5 if you wish to wait for that, since it really only effects 3D at this time.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #101 of 166 Old 12-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Senior Member
 
rxtrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The general consensus seems to be: yes unless you have had a pro calibration done. Mainly 3.5 effects 3D mode. There will eventually be an "official release" of 3.5 if you wish to wait for that, since it really only effects 3D at this time.

Will this "official release" still have the condition of resetting previous calibrations? If not. Then this might be the way to go for people who are on the fence about D-Nice settings and 3.5 firmware. Then I could apply D-Nice settings and just wait for the official release of 3.5. 3D avatar does not matter to me at the moment.
rxtrom is offline  
post #102 of 166 Old 12-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Member
 
Nick Burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Avatar 3D arrived today. Wife doesn't care to see it, so I'll have to wait until she's not home to watch it. :/

Not as lean
Not as mean
Still a Marine.
Nick Burns is offline  
post #103 of 166 Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Member
 
xiaNaix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a TC-P50V20 that came with 3.5 installed from the factory. D-Nice and Lee Gallagher both confirmed that the firmware improves color reproduction beyond what can be achieved even on a fully calibrated set with earlier firmware so D-Nice does not recommend using his settings as a result. I've checked the various threads here and no one has posted any settings for 3.5 so what do you folks recommend?
xiaNaix is offline  
post #104 of 166 Old 12-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Senior Member
 
jrnewquist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
@xiaNaix

As a stop-gap until I get the set calibrated by a pro, or until D-Nice posts 3.5 revised settings, I've applied his < 3.5 Service Menu & Pro menu settings, and then "amateur calibrated" the other user settings with the Spears & Munsil blu-ray. Yes, not perfect, and not D-Nice blessed, but it's working pretty damn well, as far as my eyes can tell. YMMV.

jrnewquist is offline  
post #105 of 166 Old 12-31-2010, 07:09 AM
Member
 
ambercat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnewquist View Post

@xiaNaix

As a stop-gap until I get the set calibrated by a pro, or until D-Nice posts 3.5 revised settings, I've applied his < 3.5 Service Menu & Pro menu settings, and then "amateur calibrated" the other user settings with the Spears & Munsil blu-ray. Yes, not perfect, and not D-Nice blessed, but it's working pretty damn well, as far as my eyes can tell. YMMV.

So what were the settings you came up with using the Spears & Munsil blu ray
ambercat is offline  
post #106 of 166 Old 12-31-2010, 10:37 AM
Senior Member
 
jrnewquist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambercat View Post

So what were the settings you came up with using the Spears & Munsil blu ray

Since I'm still tweaking and don't want to pollute the thread, I've added them to the Google spreadsheet. I've not calibrated 3D at all yet.

I also just added the 2D settings from Plasma TV Buying Guide, which Officeglen mentioned in the settings thread.

jrnewquist is offline  
post #107 of 166 Old 12-31-2010, 11:24 PM
Senior Member
 
chevydude26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so if i have the 58inch vt25 do i put in 90 or 95 for calibration?
chevydude26 is offline  
post #108 of 166 Old 01-01-2011, 06:13 AM
Member
 
ambercat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnewquist View Post

Since I'm still tweaking and don't want to pollute the thread, I've added them to the Google spreadsheet. I've not calibrated 3D at all yet.

I also just added the 2D settings from Plasma TV Buying Guide, which Officeglen mentioned in the settings thread.

Thanks for sharing your settings since 3.5 which you say your still tweaking. Your spreadsheet is a nice job pulling the many versions of what different people calibrated as the best user settings. I still think D-Nice's settings are the best even after I installed the 3.5 firmware.
ambercat is offline  
post #109 of 166 Old 01-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Senior Member
 
chevydude26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambercat View Post

Thanks for sharing your settings since 3.5 which you say your still tweaking. Your spreadsheet is a nice job pulling the many versions of what different people calibrated as the best user settings. I still think D-Nice's settings are the best even after I installed the 3.5 firmware.

Did you apply his offsets after the firmware as well?
chevydude26 is offline  
post #110 of 166 Old 01-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Member
 
ambercat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post

Did you apply his offsets after the firmware as well?

The only SM adjustments on my TC-P50VT25 were done by BB Geek Squad back in June for W/B. I did not like BB user settings and have since been using D-Nice's user settings since he posted them for 2D THX, Custom and 3D Custom. Since upgrading to 3.5 firmware 20 December I still use his 2D settings but now use the James Cameron's user settings for 3D Custom. I have tried all the user settings in the spreadsheet, BB's and TweekTV's but the best since installing 3.5 are D-Nice's for 2D and James Cameron's for 3D.
ambercat is offline  
post #111 of 166 Old 01-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
chevydude26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambercat View Post

The only SM adjustments on my TC-P50VT25 were done by BB Geek Squad back in June for W/B. I did not like BB user settings and have since been using D-Nice's user settings since he posted them for 2D THX, Custom and 3D Custom. Since upgrading to 3.5 firmware 20 December I still use his 2D settings but now use the James Cameron's user settings for 3D Custom. I have tried all the user settings in the spreadsheet, BB's and TweekTV's but the best since installing 3.5 are D-Nice's for 2D and James Cameron's for 3D.

yeah your right after i put the firmware i put in dnice's settings for thx minus the service menu changes and the picture is indeed incredible
chevydude26 is offline  
post #112 of 166 Old 01-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Member
 
ambercat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post

yeah your right after i put the firmware i put in dnice's settings for thx minus the service menu changes and the picture is indeed incredible

I agree, my 2D and 3D are also incredible. I have watched Avatar 3D twice and it's hard to believe how good the 3D picture is from start to end of the movie useing the James Cameron settings and 96Hz. I do not know how 3D can get better in the future but it's sure to.
ambercat is offline  
post #113 of 166 Old 01-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Member
 
Nick Burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally had a chance to watch Avatar 3D.

Watching it in IMAX 3D is one thing, but watching it in HiDef active-shutter 3D is a whole different experience.

Awesome movie.

Not as lean
Not as mean
Still a Marine.
Nick Burns is offline  
post #114 of 166 Old 01-04-2011, 10:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 10,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Burns View Post

Finally had a chance to watch Avatar 3D.

Watching it in IMAX 3D is one thing, but watching it in HiDef active-shutter 3D is a whole different experience.

Awesome movie.

Wow! where did u get it? Can u rent it?
zoro is offline  
post #115 of 166 Old 01-05-2011, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Simple: you just have to by a panasonic 3D TV and you'll get it for free...
dhan is offline  
post #116 of 166 Old 01-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Newbie
 
Bonifax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambercat View Post

Since upgrading to 3.5 firmware 20 December I still use his 2D settings but now use the James Cameron's user settings for 3D Custom. I have tried all the user settings in the spreadsheet, BB's and TweekTV's but the best since installing 3.5 are D-Nice's for 2D and James Cameron's for 3D.

My opinion is exactly the same, I think that James Cameron's settings for 3D are awesome as DNice's are for 2D.
Just one thought, there are a some movies like Coraline that show a lot of dithering even with the glasses on, so, in that case what I do is lower the panel brightnes to mid and that's it.
Bonifax is offline  
post #117 of 166 Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ivanpino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

That in no way means they're good.

Well it sure doesn't mean their bad.
ivanpino is online now  
post #118 of 166 Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Member
 
Joe Anstett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Burns View Post

or Pocahontas... despite the lack of new story-telling (as they say in the writing world, "There are no original ideas"), the movie is still visually stunning.

Not only is the plot a thin hijacking, but last night I watched "Aliens" and so much of Avatar is rooted in this 1986 film -- throughout the whole film I was saying to my wife, "hmmm, where have we seen this before". Cameron not only ripped off the plot, he ripped off himself.

Joe Anstett
Joe Anstett is offline  
post #119 of 166 Old 01-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
cosmos5861's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhan View Post

Simple: you just have to by a panasonic 3D TV and you'll get it for free...

I just bought a VT25 how to I get it free?
cosmos5861 is offline  
post #120 of 166 Old 01-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Senior Member
 
rxheaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal QC
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

I just bought a VT25 how to I get it free?

If you "just" bought it, you should've got through the merchant. Go back and ask for your copy.
If you bought it before November (don't remember the exact date), follow the steps on Panasonic's web site.
rxheaven is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off