Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 166 Old 03-12-2011, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambercat View Post

The only SM adjustments on my TC-P50VT25 were done by BB Geek Squad back in June for W/B. I did not like BB user settings and have since been using D-Nice's user settings since he posted them for 2D THX, Custom and 3D Custom. Since upgrading to 3.5 firmware 20 December I still use his 2D settings but now use the James Cameron's user settings for 3D Custom. I have tried all the user settings in the spreadsheet, BB's and TweekTV's but the best since installing 3.5 are D-Nice's for 2D and James Cameron's for 3D.

I just got my VT25 and updated to 3.5 right away. I then applied D-Nice's SM Offsets and Picture Settings, against his recommendations.

Are you using D-Nice's SM Offsets or just his Picture Settings? Should I put my SM Offsets back to the factory defaults?

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 166 Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatagent View Post
I just got my VT25 and updated to 3.5 right away. I then applied D-Nice's SM Offsets and Picture Settings, against his recommendations.

Are you using D-Nice's SM Offsets or just his Picture Settings? Should I put my SM Offsets back to the factory defaults?

Thanks for your input!
SM was only done by Best Buy. I have not touched the SM.
post #153 of 166 Old 03-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Curious,

I just installed 3.5 on the vt25. It lists current firmware as 3.5. Yet, I'm not seeing any new menu options in 3d mode whatsoever. Avatar is in, the television is operating in 3d mode, but nothing has changed in menu options to "unlock" pro menu options under cinema mode. Perhaps I was confused regarding the actual benefits of 3.5? I thought it "dramatically improved" the initial 3d calibrated settings as well as gave acess to the pro menu in cinema mode. I still think 3d looks better with the pro modifications I made in custom mode in firmware version 3.0, which all still remain.. Hmm. Help?
post #154 of 166 Old 03-16-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwine03 View Post

Curious,

I just installed 3.5 on the vt25. It lists current firmware as 3.5. Yet, I'm not seeing any new menu options in 3d mode whatsoever. Avatar is in, the television is operating in 3d mode, but nothing has changed in menu options to "unlock" pro menu options under cinema mode. Perhaps I was confused regarding the actual benefits of 3.5? I thought it "dramatically improved" the initial 3d calibrated settings as well as gave acess to the pro menu in cinema mode. I still think 3d looks better with the pro modifications I made in custom mode in firmware version 3.0, which all still remain.. Hmm. Help?

3.5 doesn't change anything in the menus, it changes the back end (behind the service menu settings). So any calibration you did in 3.0 for 3D needs to be updated.
post #155 of 166 Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwine03 View Post
Curious,

To use James Cameron's 3D settings, you have to use the Custom picture setting, not Cinema. Be sure to have 3D content playing so you make the adjustments in the right place.

Contrast: +90
Brightness: +58
Color: +39
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +20
Color Temperature: Warm2
Color Management: Off
x.v. Color: Off
CATS: Off
Video NR: Off
Blur Reduction: Off

Pro Settings (3D)
W/B High R: +10
W/B High B: -5
W/B Low R: +2
W/B Low B: +1

All Hues and Saturation: 0
Black Extension: 0
Gamma: 2.2
Panel Brightness: Medium
Contour Emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

These settings really do improve the Avatar 3D experience. I am also using D-Nice's SM Adjustments. I tried switching back to the default SM Offsets but it didn't look as good, so anyone wondering about that can feel free to try it out and see what looks better.

*modifications to James Cameron's settings include Color, Gamma, and Panel Brightness
post #156 of 166 Old 03-16-2011, 08:27 PM

ahh, I see. service menu. thanks guys.
post #157 of 166 Old 03-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieStreet View Post

Hello All,
After much debate I decided to download the firmware update except it refused to install. After 6 trys on 3 different SD cards I called Panasonic yesterday. The code 0013 comes up and the techs at Pana had no idea their was even a firmware release of 3.5. They did however have several calls from other set owners with the same problem that I have. They have promised to get back to me. So for the moment it's a dead issue for me. Since I cannot do anything with Cameron's settings even if I want to. I will keep everyone updated as to a forthcoming resolution and what it does if I ever get it to install.

It's giving me the same message saying check code 0013 on SD card on my Pany TC-P50GT25. I formatted the sd card using FAT32 and is the only data on the card. Is there something I'm not doing?
post #158 of 166 Old 04-08-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatagent View Post

Contrast: +90
Brightness: +58
Color: +32
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +20
Color Temperature: Warm2
Color Management: Off
x.v. Color: Off
CATS: Off
Video NR: Off
Blur Reduction: Off

Pro Settings (3D)
W/B High R: +10
W/B High B: -5
W/B Low R: +2
W/B Low B: +1

All Hues and Saturation: 0
Black Extension: 0
Gamma: 2.4
Panel Brightness: High
Contour Emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

Hey guys... I tried searching the forum regarding James Cameron's Avatar 3D settings for the 2011 Panasonic's, but I didn't find anything.

I have a TC-P50ST30 and was wondering if I could just use these settings that were made for the VT20/25. Will it work and look good or are these settings not made for a 2011 Panny?

Any help would be appreciated.

LOST is the best tv show ever.

Go Dodgers!

Go Lakers!
post #159 of 166 Old 04-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert311 View Post

Hey guys... I tried searching the forum regarding James Cameron's Avatar 3D settings for the 2011 Panasonic's, but I didn't find anything.

I have a TC-P50ST30 and was wondering if I could just use these settings that were made for the VT20/25. Will it work and look good or are these settings not made for a 2011 Panny?

Any help would be appreciated.

The short answer is, "probably not."

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #160 of 166 Old 04-08-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

The short answer is, "probably not."

yeah, different TV... different settings... don't even think about using these settings as they also require a VT25 firmware update that changes the foundation of the Service Menu.

btw, I have found it necessary to make adjustments to the quoted James Cameron settings... see the changes in my previous post.
post #161 of 166 Old 04-09-2011, 12:37 AM

Ok thanks guys.

Do you think there will ever be a "recommended settings" for the 2011 ST/GT/VT's for Avatar 3D?

If not, I'll just use my own settings.

LOST is the best tv show ever.

Go Dodgers!

Go Lakers!
post #162 of 166 Old 04-09-2011, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Ok thanks guys.

Do you think there will ever be a "recommended settings" for the 2011 ST/GT/VT's for Avatar 3D?

Doubt it. It was a gimmicky thing anyway when the Panasonic-exclusive release came out. I would guess that D-Nice (if you're not familiar, he's a calibrator who typically calibrates each year's Panasonics and posts reference settings on AVS) will probably do the 2011 sets, though. I haven't even looked to see if he's started a thread yet, but last year's was here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232441.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #163 of 166 Old 05-07-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Quote:

Ok thanks guys.

Or you could get your set properly calibrated by a professinal....and not have to guess.

Later
RayJr

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #164 of 166 Old 07-02-2011, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
What is the point of the 3.5 firmware ?

After applying the firmware, reading the Instructions that came along with the firmware... I still had to manually change 10 different settings...

aka set gamma to 2.4, drop contrast to 90 from 100, drop sharpness, drop brightness, turn noise reduction to off from weak, etc.

Shouldn't the firmware change those settings for custom automatically ?
This was a pristine/new TV.
post #165 of 166 Old 08-18-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 494
For my buddy CC.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #166 of 166 Old 08-19-2011, 12:03 AM

Thanks chunon. Downloaded the update. Just gotta get my hands on a copy of 3d Avatar
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page