Extended Warranty? Did YOU get one? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-10-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got my Samsung pn58c8000 and so far so good. I've read some people saying that they developed cracks in their plasma weeks/months after. Anyone go for an extended warranty on their TV?

I bought mine on Amazon and they are still offering the Square Trade warranty but i'm not sure how well those warranty's are.

I paid about $2K with the 3-D glasses and the 3-D blu ray player shipped. Anyone say take the chance, or get the extended warranty? I hate to spend the extra but if the majority of people got it and say its recommended I may consider it.

Buy it?
Take the chance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-10-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telltale5 View Post

Got my Samsung pn58c8000 and so far so good. I've read some people saying that they developed cracks in their plasma weeks/months after. Anyone go for an extended warranty on their TV?

I bought mine on Amazon and they are still offering the Square Trade warranty but i'm not sure how well those warranty's are.

I paid about $2K with the 3-D glasses and the 3-D blu ray player shipped. Anyone say take the chance, or get the extended warranty? I hate to spend the extra but if the majority of people got it and say its recommended I may consider it.

Buy it?
Take the chance?

I put mine on my Gold Amex to extend it a yr and when you register the TV on the Samsung site they give you an extra 3 mths warranty.

Extended warranty's are all profit for the retailer, be careful how much you spend and what it covers.

I do think US has a few avenue's for you guys for warranty's though,
post #3 of 18 Old 12-10-2010, 01:12 PM

Liked: 11
I paid with a Visa credit card > this alone adds another year to the manufactures one-year warranty.
Should I still purchase the Sears 3 or 5 year warranty??? Something tells me dealing with Sears will be a PITA!
post #4 of 18 Old 12-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamerdown View Post

I paid with a Visa credit card > this alone adds another year to the manufactures one-year warranty.
Should I still purchase the Sears 3 or 5 year warranty??? Something tells me dealing with Sears will be a PITA!

What you mean? I dont Get it. But If you buy your TV and pay with a Visa credit card you automatically Get 1 More year from the manufacture? What do i have To do To Get this? Just pay? Also is a Visa debit card allow for this too? Thanks
post #5 of 18 Old 12-10-2010, 02:18 PM

Just bought the PN58C8000 wisa my Visa that doubles the warranty.. Since most problems happen in the first year and once the set is broken in, it's good to go I figured why waste another $400 on a warranty?

Food for thought.. 6 years back I purchased a TH-42U7XX (One of the best rated plasmas at the time) and a $500 5 year warranty. I broke the set in properly and ever since, it runs about 6-8 hours a day (Wife & kids) this is my primary TV. I have not ONCE ever called for warranty issues. $500 for piece of mind in today's age and technology far advanced is not worth it to me.. at least again..
post #6 of 18 Old 12-10-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
IMO, it makes sense to consider an EW on an expensive product like this (especially with a Samsung). Like any insurance, you'll be happy if you use it, and not so happy if you don't.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-10-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truquitos View Post

What you mean? I dont Get it. But If you buy your TV and pay with a Visa credit card you automatically Get 1 More year from the manufacture? What do i have To do To Get this? Just pay? Also is a Visa debit card allow for this too? Thanks

With most major credit cards, a purchase like mine doubles the manufactures warranty. I contacted Visa prior to the purchase and I'm covered.
post #8 of 18 Old 12-10-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamerdown View Post

With most major credit cards, a purchase like mine doubles the manufactures warranty. I contacted Visa prior to the purchase and I'm covered.

Oh ok! I will definitely call them and see if with my VISA debit card I can get that warranty. Thanks for the information.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-10-2010, 10:20 PM

Extended warranties are a no brainer for me. I can pay like $66 for 3 extra years for my new $750 tv. So if it breaks once within 4 years it pays for itself.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-10-2010, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

My take is that for devices that are easily fixable or servicable yourself don't bother. Since it's expensive and complicated to try and service a HDTV yourself, may as well get the warranty which will probably cost the same or less than a self-repair anyway.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Don't waste your money on an extended warranty, consumer reports recently recommended never to buy one.

If people needed them, the companies would go broke selling them.
post #12 of 18 Old 12-11-2010, 02:41 AM

Over the years I have saved enough money by not buying EWs to be able to repair or replace just about anything that might break. If buying one will help you sleep better then go for it. If you're frugal, choose a brand that's at or near the top of the reliability list and put the money you would have spent on the EW into a saving account targeted for possible repairs.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-11-2010, 05:45 AM

First time poster here...

I just bought my first plasma (Panny TC-P46G25), and I bought the extended warranty for 2 years. I almost always buy some sort of extended warranty for more expensive items like this.

I read the owner's forum, and some have had a problem with their tvs flashing the "red light of death"...so I took no chances. Besides that, if something should happen where I require a repair or any other problem, they (Future Shop) will come into my home to check it out. No extended warranty, and you have to deal with the company directly...which could be a PITA...not to mention shipping your baby, and taking the chance that it gets damaged. For me, this was worth it. Sure, I put it on my Visa, and I got the one year extended on it, but I would have to deal with Panny directly. Quite frankly, I can't be bothered.

I have not set up my tv yet...renos in the basement are not quite done yet! I can't wait to see the beauty of this plasma in my home!!!

Human psychology is my domain, Home Theather is on the brain. Got milk? Hahahahaha...
post #14 of 18 Old 12-11-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post

Don't waste your money on an extended warranty, consumer reports recently recommended never to buy one.

If people needed them, the companies would go broke selling them.

I usually don't buy them for most thimgs, but will when I buy my next plasma due to all of the issues reported here with Panny plasmas.

I bought a 4 yr extended warranty for my Nikon DSLR and have used it twice already (right after the original warranty ran out).
post #15 of 18 Old 12-11-2010, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Personally, if an item is more than $500, and especially if it is over $1000, I will almost certainly buy the extended warranty. I am glad I did in the case of my Panasonic TH-42PZ77U which failed on me about a week and a half ago (7 blinking lights). I originally bought this TV in the spring of 2008.
post #16 of 18 Old 12-11-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post

Personally, if an item is more than $500, and especially if it is over $1000, I will almost certainly buy the extended warranty. I am glad I did in the case of my Panasonic TH-42PZ77U which failed on me about a week and a half ago (7 blinking lights). I originally bought this TV in the spring of 2008.

In Canada they will charge you about 25-30% of the value of the TV for the warranty, I don't think so, it's leverage for them as warrantys are all gross, in the US there are cheap warranty's that will cover you for a few yrs.
post #17 of 18 Old 12-11-2010, 02:13 PM

Consumer Reports continues to say that all flat panel TV's from almost every manufacturer have demonstrated outstanding service records.

So for a flat panel TV:

#1 Your likelihood of ever using an extended warranty is small

#2 In a fast moving market like flat panel TV's, even in the small chance that your TV needs repair 30 months after purchase, you will likely be able to purchase a similar brand new TV for about the price that you would spend on a 3-4 year extended warranty.

There is a reason stores sell these extended warranties and it isnt because they are losing money on them.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-11-2010, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
No way will I find a similar brand TV (Pioneer PRO-111FD) for $150 (3-year ext. warranty) in 2014.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page