Panasonic HDTV and Wii connection problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-25-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some help. I'm not a techie or gaming guru. I bougth a Wii for my 8 year old daugther for Xmas and can't get the Wii to display on my 50" Panasonic TH-50PX50U HDTV flat screen. A huge wire bundle and too many audio/video components and I can't figure it out. CC set it up for me after purchase.

The direct inputs to the flat screen are on the back, which is mounted highly on a wall with a tilt mount, but not enough tilt to be able to see the labels of the I/O ports. (I'm looking for the owner's manual). There are a number of cables going from one vertical set of I/O ports as well as an HDMI cable going from the Flat Screen to the Comcast digital cable box (Motorola DCT6412 III).

There are vidio/audio inputs on the Comcast digital cable box. I tried going Wii to Comcast, but with no effect, but I'm not sure if the other settings on the TV, receiver, etc. might be afftecting that.

The receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR602. Tons of input/output slots. I've tried the Video 1, Video 2, and Component 2 inputs, all without success.

The DVD player is a Sony DVP-NS775V. Same thing. Lots of I/O slots, but the combination of TV settings, receiver settings, DVD settings, etc. has left me frustrated and baffled.

I read some of the posts and checked Amazon, and some suggested I need component Wii cables (better than the composite ones shipped with the unit) to go from the Wii device to whatever is going to be the receiving box.

It looks like each A/V component goes to the flat screen separately in that vertical I/O slot set in which I can't read the label.

I'm lost.... please help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 08:13 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by mba84109 View Post
....I can't get the Wii to display on my 52" Panasonic HDTV flat screen. A huge wire bundle and too many audio/video components and I can't figure it out. CC set it up for me after purchase.

There are no direct inputs to the flat screen that are visible (it's mounted highly on a wall). There is an HDMI cable going from the Flat Screen to the Comcast digital cable box. There are vidio/audio inputs on the Comcast digital cable box. I tried that, but with no effect, but I'm not sure if the other settings on the TV, receiver, etc. might be affecting that.
You left out the most important part - what is the exact model number of your TV?? Different years/models have different input locations. It must be at least a few years old if CC set it all up. Aren't there any inputs on the side of the TV, or hidden behind a door on the lower front of the TV?

They don't make a 52" Plasma so i'm picturing an older Rear Projection TV, but then you say it's mounted highly on a wall so it's a little confusing.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
You left out the most important part - what is the exact model number of your TV?? Different years/models have different input locations. It must be at least a few years old if CC set it all up. Aren't there any inputs on the side of the TV, or hidden behind a door on the lower front of the TV?

They don't make a 52" Plasma so i'm picturing an older Rear Projection TV, but then you say it's mounted highly on a wall so it's a little confusing.
Randy, you are absolutely correct. Sorry for the confusion. I clarified the original post. It's a Panasonic 50" HDTV flat panel model TH-50PX50U. If you can be of assitance, I'd really appreciate it. The I/O inputs are on the back of the TV, but based on the close mount to the wall, I can't even access it to fit the cables in, which I was looking for a solution that went through the other A/V equipment. Thanks.
post #4 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

All the video has to go through the Comcast box since the Onkyo receiver has no HDMI. I gather that the DVD player video also goes to the Comcast. What type of connection is it? If it's composite (single yellow wire) then you could swap in the Wii's connection to see if it works. The make and model of the Comcast box would help. Ideally, you should get another connection to the TV, preferably from your receiver which has component outputs. That would give you more flexibility. Alternatively, a new HDMI receiver that can convert composite and component to HDMI (most of today's can) would give you a simpler, albeit more expensive, solution.

The sleeper must awaken.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyOwner View Post
All the video has to go through the Comcast box since the Onkyo receiver has no HDMI. I gather that the DVD player video also goes to the Comcast. What type of connection is it? If it's composite (single yellow wire) then you could swap in the Wii's connection to see if it works. The make and model of the Comcast box would help. Ideally, you should get another connection to the TV, preferably from your receiver which has component outputs. That would give you more flexibility. Alternatively, a new HDMI receiver that can convert composite and component to HDMI (most of today's can) would give you a simpler, albeit more expensive, solution.
Motorola DCT6412 III
post #6 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What does "the sleeper must awaken" mean ??
post #7 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 09:35 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by mba84109 View Post
Randy, you are absolutely correct. Sorry for the confusion. I clarified the original post. It's a Panasonic 50" HDTV flat panel model TH-50PX50U. If you can be of assistance, I'd really appreciate it. The I/O inputs are on the back of the TV, but based on the close mount to the wall, I can't even access it to fit the cables in, which I was looking for a solution that went through the other A/V equipment. Thanks.
Ah, that's a 2005 50 incher (i have the same TV but in 42") and unfortunately all the inputs are in the same spot on the back of the TV (there are none on the sides or front obviously).

First off, the Comcast box and the Sony DVD Player do not have any inputs, those are all outputs only so forget about running anything through these two devices as it's impossible.

I assume the Wii uses a Component video cable (red/blue/green) and maybe a regular yellow Composite Video cable so your only options are to either connect the Wii (A.) directly to one of the TV's own inputs, or (B.) connect it to a Component Video or Composite Video input on the Onkyo 602. Use Component Video if at all possible.

Before we can proceed, we need to know the following:

1. Are the DVD player's output cables connected directly to the rear of the TV? Or do the cables run from the DVD player to the Onkyo? And is it a Red/Blue/Green Component Video cable or yellow Composite Video cable?

2. Exactly how is the Onkyo receiver integrated into your system? Is the DVD player's audio and video passing through the Onkyo then on to the TV? How about the audio?

3. Is there an audio cable running from the TV to the Onkyo's audio input? If so, what kind is it?

Please be as detailed as possible - there are many ways this stuff can be connected so we need to work with what you have.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mba84109
Motorola DCT6412 III
Usually the inputs are disabled on these boxes. Is the DVD player running through it?

The Sleeper Must Awaken is a recurring line from the film Dune.

The sleeper must awaken.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Randy, I clarified the original post a bit, but am providing the detailed answers regarding all connections below. I appreciate your help.

1. DVD Player.

a. Digital Out (back left of DVD player). Monster cable from Optical to Onkyo Optical IN1.

b. Component Video Out (back center of DVD player). Yellow, Blue (white letters), Red monster cables from Y, Pb, Pr respectively to Onkyo Component Video IN1.

2. Comcast box.

a. Optical SPDIF (whatever that is...) Monster cable to Onkyo Optical IN2.

b. HDMI cable to Panasonic back. Can't see label on Panasonic.

3. Onkyo.

a. Component Vidio Out. 3 Monster cables to Panasonic back. Can't see label on Panasonic. Yellow (Y), Blue (CB), Red (CR) respectively, are the Monster cable labels.

b. Speaker wires go to surround sound system. Looks like a separate bundled mess.

I think that covers everything. There is a cable bundled from the Panasonic to the A/V equipment that has a USB connect on the Panasonic end (not connected to anything) and an 18 Pin connect on the A/V end (also not connected to anything). What is that for ?? Could that be part of the problem ??

Thanks again. Christopher
post #10 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Usually the inputs are disabled on these boxes. Is the DVD player running through it?

The Sleeper Must Awaken is a recurring line from the film Dune.

No, the DVD Digital Output Optical cable goes to the Onkyo Optical IN2 port.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

So it looks like you need to connect the Wii ( I assume it's a composite red/white/yellow connection ) to a free connection on the Onkyo and then switch the input on the Onkyo's front panel to the one the Wii is connected to.

The sleeper must awaken.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Did that. Didn't work. That's why I'm asking what's wrong in this post. Do the input settings on the Panasonic make a difference ?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page