I see rainbows - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, all -

I've read another thread on plasma rainbows, and it seems I'm one of the few with eyes sensitive enough to notice them. From what I understand, the effect is caused by the gasses discharging (?) at different rates. I notice them most easily on fast moving, high contrast images, and it's not distracting enough for me to move to LCD, especially since I've managed to get a Samsung 63" 8000 that doesn't buzz (first one did, the replacement is blissfully silent). But I'm wondering if the rainbow effect will fade a bit as the phosphors age. I have just under 100 hours on it now. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 03:08 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Are you sure they are rainbows or are they (phosphor) trails?
post #3 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 04:06 PM

I also see them. They're not as bad as the DLP rainbows, but they are present. I have a Panasonic 54VT25 plasma. I'm one of those people who sees the rainbow effect on DLP TV's quite a bit, by the way.

But I definitely wouldn't return the plasma because of it. It's rare, and I have tuned it out of my mind over time.

I should also say that I have rather powerful prescription glasses (nearsighted). I suspect the glasses may be bending the light even more, thereby creating a prism effect. Who knows whether or not that's the entire cause or even any cause. I've not yet tried watching with my contact lenses. Maybe I'll do that and report back. Contact lenses shouldn't suffer as much from the prism effect.

- Steve
post #4 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 69
The rainbows I see are green on the right and blue on the left and are covering most of the content. I can recreate this effect by circling my eyes around the tv's bezel at about 2 to 3 times per second while not focusing on the content, hard to do and a little weird I know but all this seems a lot better after the tv has more that 1000 hours on it.

It's a little easier to see when I get closer to the tv. It's a small problem with the plasma tech that doesn't bother me much anymore. I hardly see the phosphor lag as much anymore either. Panny 54g10 btw.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I see them as well but not a deal breaker for me. DLP rainbows on the other hand......
post #6 of 12 Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 PM

Just bought 50GT50 and LOVING it. So I was watching "Book of Eli" last night and as we were watching I was noticing little "orbs?" that would pop up and disapear so quickly that I almost thought I was imagining them. They were kinda rainbow colored orbs that would just flash up randomly on the edges of moving objects. I casualy mentioned it to me wife and shortly thereafter she started noticing it although she decribed them more as lines versus the circular orbs I was seeing. Anyways I started checking sources and my HD satalite signal does not suffer from this it's only on bluray content. So I'm trying to figure out what it is on Bluray thats causing this. Is it a bad bluray player? Is the Panny not processing the signal from the bluray correctly? Any advice on maybe a way to test?
post #7 of 12 Old 11-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratard View Post

Just bought 50GT50 and LOVING it. So I was watching "Book of Eli" last night and as we were watching I was noticing little "orbs?" that would pop up and disapear so quickly that I almost thought I was imagining them. They were kinda rainbow colored orbs that would just flash up randomly on the edges of moving objects. I casualy mentioned it to me wife and shortly thereafter she started noticing it although she decribed them more as lines versus the circular orbs I was seeing. Anyways I started checking sources and my HD satalite signal does not suffer from this it's only on bluray content. So I'm trying to figure out what it is on Bluray thats causing this. Is it a bad bluray player? Is the Panny not processing the signal from the bluray correctly? Any advice on maybe a way to test?

Other specific disks that do this? Can you pinpoint scene(s)?

Would help others to check and see whether this is duplicated on their systems. (Example: the Star Trek reboot is full of "lens flares" - easy to mistake as a problem with disk and/or system!)

Trying to capture in a photo - and posting same - may also be helpful.

Beyond that, check connections; try changing cables; run through your settings and compare to those posted by other users. (Or, better yet, download the AVS HD709 disk & run through videos & settings screens.)
post #8 of 12 Old 11-25-2012, 05:02 PM

The only time I see the phosphorus trail on my KURO is when playing FPS shooter games. When I move the aimer really fast I can sometimes see the whites smear out a bit of yellow, but it's almost impossible to see.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm going to
Live with rainbows on it because I like the tv for the most part,and it does not happen all the time, and you have to live with some things you don't like until they make the perfect tv.crts had rainbows but I think the small size made them less Noticable.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-26-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post

I'm going to
Live with rainbows on it because I like the tv for the most part,and it does not happen all the time, and you have to live with some things you don't like until they make the perfect tv.crts had rainbows but I think the small size made them less Noticable.

wink.gif

Ian biggrin.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #11 of 12 Old 11-26-2012, 04:45 PM

Liked: 19
I see rainbows, too. If I hold my breath long enough.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
biggrin.gif<<<======. ian

I'll add it too my music collection .is that foo fighters?eek.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page