PXXG25 xbox / ps3 picture settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tried this question in the Panasonic G20/G25 owners thread, but got crickets. Anyone use a G20/G25 (any size) for xbox or ps3 gaming? If so, please post your settings if they work well. I'm assuming we don't use the D-nice settings for gaming too, so curious what the alternative is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 01-04-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toran0x View Post

Tried this question in the Panasonic G20/G25 owners thread, but got crickets. Anyone use a G20/G25 (any size) for xbox or ps3 gaming? If so, please post your settings if they work well. I'm assuming we don't use the D-nice settings for gaming too, so curious what the alternative is.

This is what i have come up with after alot of experimentation try it out and see how it looks works for me

picture mode: custom
contrast 73
brightness 72
color 38
tint 0
sharpness 0
color temp cool1
color mgmt off
xv color off
cats off
video nr off
blur reduction on

PRO SETTINGS
wb high r 6
wb high b 4
wb low r 2
wb low b 1
black extension 0
gamma adjustment 2.4
panel brightness mid
contour emphasis off
agc 0
aspect adjustmesnt full size 2

advanced picture
black level light

Make sure ur xbox settings for reference levels under display settings is set to STANDARD and PS3 settings under display settings for RGB RANGE is set to LIMITED. Try out these setting and tell me what you think and if u have any tweaks let me know.
post #3 of 67 Old 01-04-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for those. I am nearing the end of my 100hr break in (P42G25), so will give them a shot tomorrow hopefully. Might need to keep the brightness/contrast a bit lower than your settings for a while to keep IR at a minimum.
post #4 of 67 Old 01-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

I don't like it quite as bright as some do.
Game Mode
Contrast 58
Brightness 52
Sharpness 50
Color 50
Tint -2
Color Temp Normal
Blur Reduction on for 1080 lines
Color Management On
Everything else off.
post #5 of 67 Old 01-05-2011, 12:06 AM

Keep in mind with gamma at 2.4 it lowers the overall brightness of the image. IMO those settings arent overkill neither are they to dull as with gaming i think u need the little extra "pop". Give em a shot and see how u like em for now. I was extra careful with my set and didnt game on it at all (except for testing) untill i reached about the 600 to 700 hr mark and i can tell you i still get IR here and there and now im probably at 1000+hrs but its nothing of concern for me because its really not noticeable unless u really look for it. I think dont take this as a fact but by the time it does become a problem it would probably be time to replace the set anyway provided u mix up the content. Dont worry about IR too much (because no mater what ur always gona have a little) and enjoy ur set!
post #6 of 67 Old 01-07-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

@smith987 are you using the d-nice offsets for the g25? I have those for HD mode, so they will carry over to the settings you provided.

Also isn't setting AGC to zero really green for you?
post #7 of 67 Old 01-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Edited my settings. I prefer Game Mode over Custom default settings under Pro Settings. Maybe I should experiment more with Custom.
post #8 of 67 Old 01-07-2011, 08:17 PM

How do you access the custom settings? Also my brightness i can only adjust like, +1, +2, etc
post #9 of 67 Old 01-08-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have a Wii connected via Component on their G20 or G25? Curious what settings work for you. I am trying all sorts of combinations and they look completely horrid.

Also if you know how to get the picture to fill the entire screen, please post. Right now I see a 1.5" black bar on left and right side. However at the Wii main menu it does expand to the whole screen. During some games, it doesn't. Tried changing the picture modes and none fill. Kind of surprised since I'm using component. My previous LCD, connnected the same way, would make the picture fully wide screen. There were no black bars anywhere. EDIT: Truly seems to vary by game. Super Hero Squad didn't fill the screen but Donkey Kong Country did. Must encourage my son to play Donkey Kong instead.
post #10 of 67 Old 01-08-2011, 09:14 AM

How often do you guys encounter green/yellow phosphor trailing when gaming? Also, what's the input lag like?
post #11 of 67 Old 01-08-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

^^ I will look out for it and report back - on my PS3.
post #12 of 67 Old 01-08-2011, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith987 View Post

This is what i have come up with after alot of experimentation try it out and see how it looks works for me

contrast 77
brightness 72
color 45
tint 0
sharpness 0
color temp cool1
color mgmt off
xv color auto
cats off
video nr strong
blur reduction on

PRO SETTINGS
wb high r 8
wb high b 5
wb low r 3
wb low b 2
black extension 0
gamma adjustment 2.4
panel brightness mid
contour emphasis off
agc 0
aspect adjustmesnt full size 2

advanced picture
black level light

Make sure ur xbox settings for reference levels under display settings is set to STANDARD and PS3 settings under display settings for RGB RANGE is set to LIMITED. Try out these setting and tell me what you think and if u have any tweaks let me know.

These are great settings. Thanks for sharing. I found Gamma at 2.4 made it a bit dark for my preference, so changed to 2.2 (default I think). Also seems reds are a bit over-exaggerated. I assume if I wanted to adjust that I would lower the "wb high r" and "wb low r" settings?

Really looks gorgeous though. Playing GoW3.
post #13 of 67 Old 01-08-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ06 View Post

How often do you guys encounter green/yellow phosphor trailing when gaming? Also, what's the input lag like?

Played God of War III for a bit and noticed no trailing. No visible input lag either. Had a Samsung LED before this (2010 model) and it lagged/ghosted like crazy. This seems to be the ULTIMATE gaming television.
post #14 of 67 Old 01-08-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:

@smith987 are you using the d-nice offsets for the g25? I have those for HD mode, so they will carry over to the settings you provided.

Also isn't setting AGC to zero really green for you?

Nope im not using dnices settings but it shouldnt make much of a difference. AGC at zero isnt making it too green but i have turned down my color from 45 to 38.
post #15 of 67 Old 01-08-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Anyone have a Wii connected via Component on their G20 or G25? Curious what settings work for you. I am trying all sorts of combinations and they look completely horrid.

Also if you know how to get the picture to fill the entire screen, please post. Right now I see a 1.5" black bar on left and right side. However at the Wii main menu it does expand to the whole screen. During some games, it doesn't. Tried changing the picture modes and none fill. Kind of surprised since I'm using component. My previous LCD, connnected the same way, would make the picture fully wide screen. There were no black bars anywhere. EDIT: Truly seems to vary by game. Super Hero Squad didn't fill the screen but Donkey Kong Country did. Must encourage my son to play Donkey Kong instead.

Try these:
custom
contrast 80
brightness 70
color 40
SHARPNESS 0
tint 0
color temp normal
gamma settings 2.4
aspect adjustment just size 1
black level light

As for the gaps on left and right have u went into the wii settings and changed aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9? Also enable 480p if u havent yet.
post #16 of 67 Old 01-08-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ06 View Post

Never noticed any phosphor trail or motion blur/input lag on this set. The g25 is an amazing set for gaming.
post #17 of 67 Old 01-08-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:

These are great settings. Thanks for sharing. I found Gamma at 2.4 made it a bit dark for my preference, so changed to 2.2 (default I think). Also seems reds are a bit over-exaggerated. I assume if I wanted to adjust that I would lower the "wb high r" and "wb low r" settings?

Really looks gorgeous though. Playing GoW3.

No probs. Yes u could tune down the wb high and low r down if you prefer. Also try tuning down your color to 38 before you do tho. I have further tweaked it a bit more ill edit the settings post.
2.2 GAMMA is fine I personally like the picture with a bit more more depth and 2.4 to me seems a little more "contrasty" but at the end of the day its what ever looks best to your eyes. You cud use those settings as a guideline and tweak to ur liking.
post #18 of 67 Old 01-08-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Played God of War III for a bit and noticed no trailing. No visible input lag either. Had a Samsung LED before this (2010 model) and it lagged/ghosted like crazy. This seems to be the ULTIMATE gaming television.

Yep gaming is awesome on this set especially after u dial in the tv with the proper settings.. GOW3 does look amazing along with all other games it really brings the graphics out try out uncharted 2 aswell if u havent yet. Its amazing no lag and beautiful graphics.
post #19 of 67 Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 PM

THX
Contrast: 62
Brightness: 64
Color: 50
Sharpness: 0
Tint: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Noise Reduction, etc: Off
Blur Reduction: Off
Black Level: Light
post #20 of 67 Old 01-10-2011, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Tried Black Ops tonight. Noticed slight phosphor trailing and slight input lag. Not enough to be a problem and 100x better than LCD TVs. I think I still need to toy with the picture as something seems off. Not sure if it's color accuracy or what. Picture seemed a bit flat - maybe sharpness needs to be bumped up from 0 to 15?

Will toy around more tomorrow night.
post #21 of 67 Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:

Tried Black Ops tonight. Noticed slight phosphor trailing and slight input lag. Not enough to be a problem and 100x better than LCD TVs. I think I still need to toy with the picture as something seems off. Not sure if it's color accuracy or what. Picture seemed a bit flat - maybe sharpness needs to be bumped up from 0 to 15?

Plasma i think in general seems a bit more flat compared to LCD not much u can do u can try gamma 2.4 it adds a bit more depth to give it that little extra pop im still experimenting with my settings aswell and have adjusted contrast to 81 and brightness to 72 with 2.4 gamma seems to be working for now try and also let me know wat ur final results are so that i can try those also .Thanks. Dont worry tho after a few days of getting used to the picture u realize how much better gaming is on plasma because no lag or motion blur and amazing black levels and shadow detail. Also the smoothness that u r referring to as "flatness" is a not going to be an issue and u will start liking it better that way. I wud advise to leave sharpness at 0 anything higher will just introduce artifacts in graphics. Also keep in mind black ops has horrible graphics to begin with imho. Try battlefield 2 or any other game with top notch graphics to really test out ur set.
post #22 of 67 Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith987 View Post

Plasma i think in general seems a bit more flat compared to LCD not much u can do u can try gamma 2.4 it adds a bit more depth to give it that little extra pop im still experimenting with my settings aswell and have adjusted contrast to 81 and brightness to 72 with 2.4 gamma seems to be working for now try and also let me know wat ur final results are so that i can try those also .Thanks. Dont worry tho after a few days of getting used to the picture u realize how much better gaming is on plasma because no lag or motion blur and amazing black levels and shadow detail. Also the smoothness that u r referring to as "flatness" is a not going to be an issue and u will start liking it better that way. I wud advise to leave sharpness at 0 anything higher will just introduce artifacts in graphics. Also keep in mind black ops has horrible graphics to begin with imho. Try battlefield 2 or any other game with top notch graphics to really test out ur set.

Yep you are on the right track. Here are my settings right now, which are your original post + tweaks above + Cool2. Cool1 or Cool2 work, but I like less orange/red tint in the games which moving towards Warm tends to offer. Overall I like 2.4 gamma with higher contrast/brightness. I think the contrast needs to stay above 70 to work though. That's the pop you were talking about I think.

contrast 81
brightness 72

color 38
tint 0
sharpness 0
color temp cool2
color mgmt off <-- worth enabling for more vibrance?
xv color off <-- worth enabling for more vibrance?
cats off
video nr off
blur reduction on

PRO SETTINGS
wb high r 6
wb high b 4
wb low r 2
wb low b 1
black extension 0
gamma adjustment 2.4
panel brightness mid
contour emphasis off
agc 0
aspect adjustment > full size 2 <-- this is really important as without it, some screen real estate is lost. Had no idea this was an option!

advanced picture
black level light
post #23 of 67 Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

How about settings for gaming in a dark room? These seem pretty intense like if the room is already lit up.
post #24 of 67 Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshredder27 View Post

How about settings for gaming in a dark room? These seem pretty intense like if the room is already lit up.

You could lower the contrast / brightness a bit, but Gamma 2.4 helps it not be so bright.

So you could try Gamma 2.4 with Contrast 70 and Brightness 60. That's roughly what I was using last night, but I felt it didn't pop enough.
post #25 of 67 Old 01-11-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

there is a problem with black ops on ps3... the brightness is way to high on the in game slider...even when it is set to zero its still too high. fix the games brightness and the pop and saturation will return.
post #26 of 67 Old 01-11-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

there is a problem with black ops on ps3... the brightness is way to high on the in game slider...even when it is set to zero its still too high. fix the games brightness and the pop and saturation will return.

No kidding? I should have noticed that as I have it on xbox also. Looks much better on my 24" Asus LCD Monitor on my xbox. Will try reducing the brightness settings. That plus these settings should work well.
post #27 of 67 Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

No kidding? I should have noticed that as I have it on xbox also. Looks much better on my 24" Asus LCD Monitor on my xbox. Will try reducing the brightness settings. That plus these settings should work well.

yeah its not a problem with xbox but it has been mentioned as a problem on ps3. it ruins the depth of field in the image...once you drop the slider all the way down you will probabbly still need to lower the tv brightness a bit. just follow the test pattern instructions.
post #28 of 67 Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Well I went back to the game mode settings I have. No reason to fix a problem that isn't broken as I really like my settings. Maybe some minor tweaks would be it.
post #29 of 67 Old 01-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

360 has a unique color spectrum, why I feel it is best to put it on it's own input. On my VT25 if I up the gamma, from the default 2.2 to 2.0, on the HDMI input that connects to the 360 then I find I can more easily match the 360 to the PS3 (and everything else).
post #30 of 67 Old 01-11-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshredder27 View Post

Well I went back to the game mode settings I have. No reason to fix a problem that isn't broken as I really like my settings. Maybe some minor tweaks would be it.

I'm going to try your Game Mode settings also. Any idea what the difference is? Is it just another "custom" mode or are there unique settings that cannot be accessed in other modes?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page