Panasonic G20 xbox / ps3 audio settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-14-2011, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What audio/sound settings do you use on your TV for gaming?
I'm using the default "music" but i wondered if there was anything better to choose from?

Cheers!

EDIT: Also, what settings do you use on the 360? I'm using Dolby Digital 5.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-14-2011, 05:58 AM

Don't forget to set the Xbox's Reference Level to EXPANDED, which displays the full 0-255.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-14-2011, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Bump
post #4 of 17 Old 01-14-2011, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Bump
post #5 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Bump
post #6 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 AM

...It doesn't sound like you're using a receiver, in which case you're kinda out of luck in terms of getting a recommendation for good TV audio settings, because 99% of users in these forums have a home theater for audio.

Calibrating a TV's audio is basically just adjusting treble/bass to your liking. As a reference: adjust the bass low enough so that you don't hear any [bass] in a woman's voice.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

What is a receiver? Should i buy speakers for my TV instead? 2.1 or 5.1 or something?
post #8 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 10:26 PM

...Yes, a 'receiver' is a generic term for a "home theater audio-receiver." I've got 5.1 surround sound system, as do a lot of other guys on these forums - some have 6.1, and even 7.1, but the only one that's recommended is 5.1, because every DVD and Bluray supports true 5.1 surround sound.

But if you want to start small, investing in a 2.1 system (with just 2 speakers and 1 sub) is going to be infinitely better than the G20's awful built in speakers.

...I'm not versed on the audio input options of the G20, but it's not a big deal since a small PC speaker system like this 2.1 Klipsch system from Amazon will greatly increase your viewing pleasure. ...I've got that exact speaker system setup on my Panasonic 800u, and I can say it adds a lot of immersion into everything done on that TV. After all, audio is a huge part of what makes any viewing experience more immersive.

To properly connect those Klipsch speakers to my TV I just needed 1 or 2 extra connectors to split the PC audio cable into the red/white audio cables, and it worked great. Although these speakers don't have a digital Optical Cable input (to take HQ audio from the PS3/Xbox), I'm sure there are newer PC speakers that have that an option.

So in summation, you've got 2 options:
#1 you can either invest approx $200 in a decent 5.1 receiver, and an additional $300 on 5 small surround sound speakers and 1 sub, or...
#2 just spend approx $250 on a PC speaker system and do what I'm doing above.

...For the record, I've got both setups, my Panny 800u is using the PC speakers, and my Pio 500m is using a 5.1 receiver. And might I strongly recommend that if you're a fan of FPS gaming (like Call of Duty) then def go with the receiver + 5.1 system, because gaming with 5.1 is way cool; plus Bluray movies with 5.1 is a nice bonus (but it really matters when gaming more than movies IMO).
post #9 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much
I have a digital optical cable laying around somewhere... can i just buy a 2.1 system and plug the optical cable in without buying 1 or 2 extra connectors?
How do i put the system up around my tv? Should i have my subwoofer behind the tv and the speakers on the side of the table?
post #10 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrothermia View Post

What is a receiver?

post #11 of 17 Old 02-07-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrothermia View Post

I have a digital optical cable laying around somewhere... can i just buy a 2.1 system and plug the optical cable in without buying 1 or 2 extra connectors?
How do i put the system up around my tv? Should i have my subwoofer behind the tv and the speakers on the side of the table?

You won't need any extra cables if you get an optical cable that'll reach between your PS3/Xbox. ...Don't forget to mute (or even internally mute) the TV's speakers: you can do this in the TV's Audio-options menu.

The simplest way to setup a 2.1 speaker system is to place the subwoofer to one side of the TV, and put the little speakers on the left and right of the TV as well. This puts the sub in close proximity to your game consoles so the optical cable can reach easily. But be sure to keep the sub at least 10" away from any other electronic (ignoring the TV, since it's not affected) due to the sub's strong magnetic field.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

This is all so very confusing to me

Could someone post a step by step on how i should proceed?

what to buy, 2.1 or 5.1 for a pretty small bedroom, how to set it up, any extra cables i need, etc

Cheers !!
post #13 of 17 Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 AM

The easiest way to learn what you're doing, is to go to Best Buy, and talk to one of the guys in the audio area of the store, and say "I need help choosing a 2.1 speaker system for my Xbox." ...The rep should be able to show you their floor models, and explain that "this cord goes to your Xbox, and these other cords are used to power the sub and 2 side speakers."

Once you see it in store, and have a rep describe what's-what, you'll know what to do. ...If you're in a small bedroom, just get a 2.1. Because 5.1 will be too much of a hassle, and congest your entire room.

In summation:
#1 go to Best Buy
#2 ask a rep for an explanation of how 2.1 PC speakers can be hooked up to your Xbox [via the Digital Optical cable]
#3 choose a system that fits your budget (expect to pay ~$125 for a decent system [I recommend looking at Klipsch or Logitech])
post #14 of 17 Old 02-08-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you again Acid Snow, you're awesome!
post #15 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 12:23 PM

5.1 speakers FTW! You can get them for all sorts of prices that support the Xbox's Optical connector (assuming you have one). I have my G20 connected to the Xbox with HDMI and the speakers via optical. I can listen to the sound on the TV when I'm feeling lazy, or I press mute on the G20 and turn on the speakers. The little mute icon in the corner goes away after a min BTW.
post #16 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 12:54 PM

anyone care to comment on what setting the Xbox Ref level to "Expanded" does?
post #17 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoeIII View Post

anyone care to comment on what setting the Xbox Ref level to "Expanded" does?

Depending on what default black-level setting your TV is using it can help display proper blacks from your Xbox, without adjusting the TV's brightness levels... In my tests with my KURO 500M I found the following results (double tested [and sometimes triple tested] for accuracy).

Test with AVS DVD
RBG/Standard = 0-255
RBG/Expanded = crushed
709/Standard = crushed
709/Expanded = crushed
Source/Standard = crushed
Source/Expanded = crushed

Test with Call of Duty: Black Ops multiplayer level Hanoi (it's a nighttime map)
RBG/Standard = crushed
RBG/Expanded = 0-255
709/Standard = 0-255
709/Expanded = 0-255
Source/Standard = crushed
Source/Expanded = 0-255

In conclusion: always use RGB, and when watching movies set the Reference Level to Standard, when playing games change the Reference Level to Expanded.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page