Running Cat5e Ethernet to TV and blu-ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-22-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Installing 75FT Cat5e 350MHz UTP Ethernet to Tv and Blu-ray, The Cat5e will be coming from a NetGear Gateway (Comcast)

Tv.....Panny 54G20
BluRay...Panny BD80

Do I need to run 2 lines or can it be spilt off behind the Tv?

Which works better and if spilting is the way to go which spilter is the best to buy?

Any other additional equipment I should need?

Cable line coming into the house already has an amplifer on it to improve the signal.

Also could someone show me on Monoprice which HDMI cables would be good for both the Tv and Bluray player. Might want to order everything together to cut down on shipping costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-22-2011, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
You can run two lines to the tv and bd or run one and use a switch like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

or get a lynksys or other name brand, then you will have the ability to expand for a gaming system and avr in the future. Not sure a splitter/t-adaptor will work as each unit should have its own address like the switch provides. A wifi router will also work as a switch and have wireless ability.

Here is a 6ft cable that will have plenty of throughput, 28 gauge should be fine for short runs. There are other lengths and colors available.

If you have a wall mount this might help tidy up things a bit:

There is also a 90 degree that will go out in the opposite direction.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 AM

Your better off with a switch there as you may get future devices that require ethernet connectivity.

I currently have a switch in my cabinet and currently connected are the tv/ps3/xbox/htpc/spare port laptop if need be
post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmushx15 View Post

Your better off with a switch there as you may get future devices that require ethernet connectivity.

I currently have a switch in my cabinet and currently connected are the tv/ps3/xbox/htpc/spare port laptop if need be

What kind of switch are you using? When you say switch, do you have to switch the switch over to whatever device you are using at the time, or are the devices always in the ready mode?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-23-2011, 05:52 AM

Liked: 14
I posted a similar question in another area of avs and got some great advice. Copy and paste here:

Originally Posted by jerndl
Try using a wireless router that can easily be switched to access point mode like this Buffalo WHR-HP-GN. For some reason they are usually less expensive than a dedicated access point and provide a builtin 5 port switch which most dedicated APs do not. I have used this particular unit as an AP (and a wireless bridge) recently and it did a good job of providing better wireless coverage. For your use it should be pretty simple to setup by just moving the switch on the side to AP mode. For $40 you get your 5 port switch AND a wireless N access point. The switch is only 10/100 but that should not matter for your application. Good luck.

FYI, I bought this router and had it running in less than 5 minutes. I know have a G network, N network, and wired Internet for my main devices. Very pleased with my purchase.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-23-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimala View Post

I posted a similar question in another area of avs and got some great advice. Copy and paste here:

Originally Posted by jerndl
Try using a wireless router that can easily be switched to access point mode like this Buffalo WHR-HP-GN. For some reason they are usually less expensive than a dedicated access point and provide a builtin 5 port switch which most dedicated APs do not. I have used this particular unit as an AP (and a wireless bridge) recently and it did a good job of providing better wireless coverage. For your use it should be pretty simple to setup by just moving the switch on the side to AP mode. For $40 you get your 5 port switch AND a wireless N access point. The switch is only 10/100 but that should not matter for your application. Good luck.

FYI, I bought this router and had it running in less than 5 minutes. I know have a G network, N network, and wired Internet for my main devices. Very pleased with my purchase.

Don't really want to go the wireless route, had trouble with weak connections on the PC's and had them all hard wired. Think that would be the better way to go for my situation.

Anyone have any other ideas?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-23-2011, 11:49 AM

If you already have a wire running from the netgear just buy a switch that is 10/100/ or even 1000 like any of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=Netgear%20Inc.

I only posted Netgear since you already have the router brand and I'm not sure if mixing is a good idea or not.

A switch sends data to the port using pulling, all ports our always on but not all need to pull the same bandwith all the time.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-23-2011, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds good , now another question when hooking up a Netbook or Laptop to the Tv... 54G20..... do I just run the USB cable from the Netbook/Laptop to the Tv or do I also have to run a Cat5e cable from the switch to the Netbook/Laptop?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page