Short Height TV Stand - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-23-2011, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a very short tv stand under 18inches.

I'm going to be buying the Panasonic TC-P65S2 65-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV in a couple weeks and it's going to be sitting inside of a cubby hole, It basically looks like a fireplace.

I'm going to be removing the shelving and the components will be going in the TV stand only because the width of the plasma is too big for the shelfs to be in there. From the floor to the inside top of the cubby hole is roughly 59inchs. The tv will fit because the height is around 38-40inchs. But I need stand so the TV can sit on and have enough room for the cable box, receiver, PS3/Blu-ray player.

I found this stand that is 18inches: http://www.racksandstands.com/dCOR-d...1-XSN1036.html

But I can't find any stand that is shorter like around 15inches, if theres any stand that you know of that is under 18inches, that would be awesome!

With that TV and that stand, I have about half inch of room to spare...yeah.. pretty tight fit.

Any ideas? I hope I made this clear enough to understand...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-23-2011, 02:38 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 497
The stand you linked looks good. The 65S2 is listed as being 40" high with the pedestal stand.

Ikea has the "Lack" TV stand for about $50. My "stepson" has this unit and has three A/V components on the shelf. It's just under 14" high which would give you a bit of extra clearance for the heat to escape from the top of the TV.

Lack TV Table

But if that were my cubbyhole, i'd build out the rear wall and install an articulated arm mount to suspend the TV in mid air, then relocate those rear shelves to the lower front underneath the TV and set back an inch or two. This would allow you to pull the TV out so it sits flush with the face of the cubbyhole, and enable you to turn the TV towards other areas of the room and even pull it out beyond the facia. It would also make it easy to pivot it to get to the rear connections, and swing it out of the way to get at your components below.

Another idea would be to relocate those shelves to the lower front and just place the TV onto the top shelf. You could install a few center supports to keep the shelves from bowing under the weight of the TV. The problem with this is that the pedestal stand projects outward in front of the TV several inches so you'd have to set the TV back into that cubbyhole and might look odd back there.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 9 Old 01-23-2011, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, that gives me a good idea. I also found this stand which I do like and would work just fine and it's only 17inches high, which I could do. The cubby hole is pretty big and I don't see why heat would be a problem, that rear projection tv doesn't make much heat. I think the receiver and the cable box makes more heat haha.

http://www.racksandstands.com/Sonax-...N1003.html?cv=

Thanks for giving me some ideas!
post #4 of 9 Old 04-14-2011, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Salamander Designs - Synergy 133
post #5 of 9 Old 04-14-2011, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Have almost same height requirements.

Salamander Designs - Synergy 133 is only 12.5 inches high.

Was looking to max out the 17" highest i can do really with 57"'s height clearance and almost 40" hight tv.

Thst salamander stand at 12" would give me 5" to spare but I worry it will be on the low side.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-15-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I have my TC-P65S2 on this stand. Reasonable price and the width is perfect.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50138137

It's 22 7/8" tall, but if you don't install the legs and just let it sit on the floor, it'll be less than 15". Or you could cut the legs to whatever length you want (they're solid oak).

I'm not a big believer in spending alot for TV furniture, since technology changes, making what you have now obsolete; there's no way this is going to be heirloom furniture that you pass down to your children. I'm a woodworker and don't even think it's worth my time to make something, given what it can be bought for. Either this Ikea unit or that RacksAndStands one will fit the bill.

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
See http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #7 of 9 Old 12-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Too bad that Salamander Synergy 133 is approximately $1,000 though.

Bumping an older thread in the interest of finding other suggestions for stands under 13" in height for an 82" DLP (which is more important than plasmas/LCDs to be at such height that one's viewing position line of sight is looking at or near the center of the screen). Further sauce for the goose is that I'd like it to be at least 22" deep to accommodate both the base of the display and a small center channel speaker . . .

That Lack from IKEA you mention, Randy, is worth considering. But I hate IKEA's particleboard furniture lines. I supposed I'm creating my own monster by both wanting something less expensive than full-fledge cherry grandeur of something like the Salamander but of better quality than IKEA . . .
post #8 of 9 Old 12-12-2012, 07:21 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

Too bad that Salamander Synergy 133 is approximately $1,000 though.
Bumping an older thread in the interest of finding other suggestions for stands under 13" in height for an 82" DLP (which is more important than plasmas/LCDs to be at such height that one's viewing position line of sight is looking at or near the center of the screen). Further sauce for the goose is that I'd like it to be at least 22" deep to accommodate both the base of the display and a small center channel speaker . . .
That Lack from IKEA you mention, Randy, is worth considering. But I hate IKEA's particleboard furniture lines. I supposed I'm creating my own monster by both wanting something less expensive than full-fledge cherry grandeur of something like the Salamander but of better quality than IKEA . . .

You might want to look into getting a simple long coffee table, console table, or sofa table (like one with a shelf below) with legs that you can cut down or modify to attain your 13" height. The Best Buy TV credenza table i'm using was about a foot taller before i cut the side panels down (now it's about 14" high), and my small coffee table started life as an end table but i cut 10 inches off the legs and repositioned the lower shelf.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #9 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

You might want to look into getting a simple long coffee table, console table, or sofa table (like one with a shelf below) with legs that you can cut down or modify to attain your 13" height. The Best Buy TV credenza table i'm using was about a foot taller before i cut the side panels down (now it's about 14" high), and my small coffee table started life as an end table but i cut 10 inches off the legs and repositioned the lower shelf.

Thanks; sorry for the tardy reply/acknowledgement (I'm not getting the e-mails indicating new activity in threads despite being subscribed for immediate e-mail notification of new posts).

In the interest of simplicity and cutting down on the time I'd spend beating the bush looking for something else, I decided to have an IKEA Besta TV unit delivered and assembled. It's not as deep as I'd like (the base of my 82" Mitsu extends over the front edge a few inches) and I therefore ended up needing to put the center channel below in the center section of the cabinet. That in turn required longer cabling between the AVR on one side of the cabinet and the BD player on the other side (since the AVR's height + ventilation clearance precluded both from being in the same section) compared to when the AVR and the BD player were immediately adjacent in a prior cabinet. Luckily I already had longer cabling on hand.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays