Ideal size of plasma TV for BDI Avion Series II 8929 cabinet? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys!

First, I must admit that I've been lurking around here for a while, and I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge that is shared among users. I will be buying my first plasma television in the next few months, and I'm trying to get familiarized with the key aspects of this technology. (Yeah, I'm one of those people who does a lot of research before making a purchase).

But by creating this thread, I'm hoping some can share their views on the ideal size my new plasma set should be, considering it will be resting on a BDI Avion Series II 8929 (espresso) cabinet... The cabinet has a width of 77. I understand this is somewhat of a subjective preference (what isn't really?) but I'm curious to learn what size of plasmas people typically go for, in relation with their media units. I have no plans of putting my plasma on the wall - for now. Also, I will be sitting approximately 9' from the TV.

Sure, money will be a factor in my decision, as bigger = more $, but it will not be the sole one.

I'll add that I'm leaning towards a Samsung plasma, based on reviews and opinions I've read, and also because I much prefer the aesthetics of their plasmas, compared to the Panasonics. I was initially considering a 50 set, and then thought I could go up to 55, but I don't think Samsung makes plasmas in that size...?

Any input would be appreciated!

Much thanks!

Lili
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-27-2011, 08:46 AM

It's not set in stone anywhere that says prospective TV buyers have to buy X-sized TV or Y-size... Rather - people buy as big as they can afford Because when it comes to TVs bigger is better.

At 9ft you'll def want a 50" TV or larger; most families sit 6 to 7ft from a 50", so 9ft is pretty much pushing the comfortable viewing distance of a 50" to its max. There's a LOT of detail in a Bluray image, and the further you sit the less 'advantage' your eyes gain from the expensive TV.

Samsung made some good TVs in 2010, so buying a TV that's big, affordable and has the features you desire (such as 3D, or whatever) are the only important factors when selecting a TV. Don't buy a TV based on its' external appearance: that's pretty much the most ignorant way to purchase a TV - or any electronic.

Samsung, Panasonic and LG all make good plasma TVs, so finding the right size/price/features should be pretty easy. The marketplace [back in 2010] had "all around good TVs," - except for a few buzzing TVs, which should be easy to avoid once you finally narrow down your search.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow View Post

It's not set in stone anywhere that says prospective TV buyers have to buy X-sized TV or Y-size... Rather - people buy as big as they can afford Because when it comes to TVs bigger is better.

At 9ft you'll def want a 50" TV or larger; most families sit 6 to 7ft from a 50", so 9ft is pretty much pushing the comfortable viewing distance of a 50" to its max. There's a LOT of detail in a Bluray image, and the further you sit the less 'advantage' your eyes gain from the expensive TV.

Samsung made some good TVs in 2010, so buying a TV that's big, affordable and has the features you desire (such as 3D, or whatever) are the only important factors when selecting a TV. Don't buy a TV based on its' external appearance: that's pretty much the most ignorant way to purchase a TV - or any electronic.

Samsung, Panasonic and LG all make good plasma TVs, so finding the right size/price/features should be pretty easy. The marketplace [back in 2010] had "all around good TVs," - except for a few buzzing TVs, which should be easy to avoid once you finally narrow down your search.

Thanks for your input! FYI, I'm not stating that external appearance is the only factor I'm looking at - but it is of importance to me. You may disagree, and that's ok. But I wouldn't have started a thread on what TV size would look best on my 77 BDI cabinet, if aesthetics weren't a concern of mine.

But I appreciate your views, especially on the fact that the further you sit the less 'advantage' your eyes gain from the expensive TV. Hence, I think I should at least consider a 55" set, based on the distance I'll be sitting from my TV.

Thanks again!
post #4 of 8 Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lili* View Post

Hey guys!

First, I must admit that I've been lurking around here for a while, and I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge that is shared among users. I will be buying my first plasma television in the next few months, and I'm trying to get familiarized with the key aspects of this technology. (Yeah, I'm one of those people who does a lot of research before making a purchase).

But by creating this thread, I'm hoping some can share their views on the ideal size my new plasma set should be, considering it will be resting on a BDI Avion Series II 8929 (espresso) cabinet... The cabinet has a width of 77. I understand this is somewhat of a subjective preference (what isn't really?) but I'm curious to learn what size of plasmas people typically go for, in relation with their media units. I have no plans of putting my plasma on the wall - for now. Also, I will be sitting approximately 9' from the TV.

Sure, money will be a factor in my decision, as bigger = more $, but it will not be the sole one.

I'll add that I'm leaning towards a Samsung plasma, based on reviews and opinions I've read, and also because I much prefer the aesthetics of their plasmas, compared to the Panasonics. I was initially considering a 50 set, and then thought I could go up to 55, but I don't think Samsung makes plasmas in that size...?

Any input would be appreciated!

Much thanks!

Lili

I hesitate to get involved in these philosophical discussions but here goes...Many av furniture retailers suggest the TV should not extend beyond the width of the stand. Do whatever the hell looks good to you.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-28-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwiley View Post

I hesitate to get involved in these philosophical discussions but here goes...Many av furniture retailers suggest the TV should not extend beyond the width of the stand. Do whatever the hell looks good to you.

Thanks!

I'm wondering if it wouldn't look better if, let's say, there's 5" on each side of the TV, rather than if the TV is the entire width of the stand (or almost)... I tried finding pics of the Avion Series 8929 with the biggest TVs possible sitting on it, but didn't find many.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-28-2011, 05:57 PM

For the size, I would get the biggest you can afford. I started out with a 40" Samsung lcd in 2006, then a 50" Pioneer in 2008, and now I am done and happy with my 60" 151FD. You are at an advantage right now with the quality of the choices that are available. There have been a lot of improvements from the previous generations of flat panels. That was another reason for upgrading my tv's. As for the stand, I have a BDI 8527 65" with a 60" plasma resting on top. If I had the 77" BDI, I would get either a 60" or 65" tv but, I wouldn't go any smaller then a 55". If you are leaning towards Samsung, you could get up to a 63" plasma, which would fit nicely on the BDI.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-29-2011, 12:30 AM

I've been going through the display forums regularly lately to keep an eye out for 70+ inch tv's that may be coming out later this year, when this thread caught my eye. I recently bought an Avion 8929 a few months back, and I have a 61" DLP on it currently. I'm thinking an 82" would be about perfect size wise (they're about 73" wide for a DLP). Anyway, a shameless plug, you can view my setup with a 61" tv in my thread here-
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1277568
post #8 of 8 Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj slick View Post

For the size, I would get the biggest you can afford. I started out with a 40" Samsung lcd in 2006, then a 50" Pioneer in 2008, and now I am done and happy with my 60" 151FD. You are at an advantage right now with the quality of the choices that are available. There have been a lot of improvements from the previous generations of flat panels. That was another reason for upgrading my tv's. As for the stand, I have a BDI 8527 65" with a 60" plasma resting on top. If I had the 77" BDI, I would get either a 60" or 65" tv but, I wouldn't go any smaller then a 55". If you are leaning towards Samsung, you could get up to a 63" plasma, which would fit nicely on the BDI.

Thanks! I'm more and more leaning toward a 58" set!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaraas View Post

I've been going through the display forums regularly lately to keep an eye out for 70+ inch tv's that may be coming out later this year, when this thread caught my eye. I recently bought an Avion 8929 a few months back, and I have a 61" DLP on it currently. I'm thinking an 82" would be about perfect size wise (they're about 73" wide for a DLP). Anyway, a shameless plug, you can view my setup with a 61" tv in my thread here-
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1277568

You're thinking a 82" TV would be perfect for a 77" Avion 8929? Thanks so much for the link! It helps me visualize the proportions... You have a beautiful set-up!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays