Burn Concern - High Contrast Ratio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-01-2011, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
TV Model: Samsung PN50C550

I got the Spyder3TV and ran it last night. The room is dim but not totally dark, I know the spyder3Tv will vary from product to product as well as setting from display to display and room to room. The settings below are what I got. It does look good but I am concerned with the high contrast ratio - seems almost like torch mode. LOL!
I bumped the cell light up to 20 (from 15) based on what I'd read on here (was suggested on Samsung to turn cell light all the way up) and it does make a difference.
The software does not adjust the white balances, so they weren't adjusted - just left at 25.

So, my question is - will the settings below cause image retention with the contrast and cell light settings being so high? My TV has over 400 hours on it and I use scrolling a lot when I pasuse a movie or game.


TV Settings calibrated by the spyder3TV: (Picture does look good, I wont lie LOL!!)

Mode: Standard
Cell Light: 20
Contrast: 98
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 0
Color: 40
Tint (G/R): G46/R54

Advanced settings:

Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma: 0
RGB only Mode: Off
Color Space: Native

Picture options:

Color tone: Warm2
Size: 16:9
Digital noise: Off (No idea what this really does)
Mpeg noise: Off (No idea what this really does)
HDMI Black level: Low
Film mode: Grayed out


Settings calibrated by me and a calibration disk (monster I think it was...pretty much a joke LOL!!)...Picture was a bit dark and black level was a bit off I believe.

Mode: Standard
Cell Light: 15
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 56
Sharpness: 0
Color: 39
Tint (G/R): G50/R50

Advanced settings:

Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma: 0
RGB only Mode: Off
Color Space: Native

Picture options:

Color tone: Warm2
Size: 16:9
Digital noise: Off (No idea what this really does)
Mpeg noise: Off (No idea what this really does)
HDMI Black level: Low
Film mode: Grayed out

Klipsch RF82II Fronts & Wides
Klipsch RC64II Center
Klipsch RB61II Heights & Surrounds
2X Elemental design 15" subs W/ O-audio amps
Denon 4311ci
2X Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung D8000 64"
Denon 3313 UBD
Full GIK treatments

New theater under construction!
robc1976 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 03-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Member
 
Peter Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post

TV Model: Samsung PN50C550

I got the Spyder3TV and ran it last night. The room is dim but not totally dark, I know the spyder3Tv will vary from product to product as well as setting from display to display and room to room. The settings below are what I got. It does look good but I am concerned with the high contrast ratio - seems almost like torch mode. LOL!
I bumped the cell light up to 20 (from 15) based on what I'd read on here (was suggested on Samsung to turn cell light all the way up) and it does make a difference.
The software does not adjust the white balances, so they weren't adjusted - just left at 25.

So, my question is - will the settings below cause image retention with the contrast and cell light settings being so high? My TV has over 400 hours on it and I use scrolling a lot when I pasuse a movie or game.


TV Settings calibrated by the spyder3TV: (Picture does look good, I wont lie LOL!!)

Mode: Standard
Cell Light: 20
Contrast: 98
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 0
Color: 40
Tint (G/R): G46/R54

Advanced settings:

Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma: 0
RGB only Mode: Off
Color Space: Native

Picture options:

Color tone: Warm2
Size: 16:9
Digital noise: Off (No idea what this really does)
Mpeg noise: Off (No idea what this really does)
HDMI Black level: Low
Film mode: Grayed out


Settings calibrated by me and a calibration disk (monster I think it was...pretty much a joke LOL!!)...Picture was a bit dark and black level was a bit off I believe.

Mode: Standard
Cell Light: 15
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 56
Sharpness: 0
Color: 39
Tint (G/R): G50/R50

Advanced settings:

Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma: 0
RGB only Mode: Off
Color Space: Native

Picture options:

Color tone: Warm2
Size: 16:9
Digital noise: Off (No idea what this really does)
Mpeg noise: Off (No idea what this really does)
HDMI Black level: Low
Film mode: Grayed out

IR and burn in are more content related than settings related. You can reduce brightness and contrast to barely watchable levels but if you leave a stationary image on the screen for an extended period (especially when the set is new), you're liable to end up with one or the other.
Peter Johnson is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 03-01-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Johnson View Post

IR and burn in are more content related than settings related. You can reduce brightness and contrast to barely watchable levels but if you leave a stationary image on the screen for an extended period (especially when the set is new), you're liable to end up with one or the other.

Okay, so with the cell light being so high and the contrast it will not make this happen easier?

Klipsch RF82II Fronts & Wides
Klipsch RC64II Center
Klipsch RB61II Heights & Surrounds
2X Elemental design 15" subs W/ O-audio amps
Denon 4311ci
2X Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung D8000 64"
Denon 3313 UBD
Full GIK treatments

New theater under construction!
robc1976 is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 03-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Member
 
Peter Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post

Okay, so with the cell light being so high and the contrast it will not make this happen easier?

Possibly. Worst case scenario: new TV with contrast and brightness set at or near torch levels and stationary image displayed for hours or days. Might get IR or burn in quicker than if contrast and brightness are reduced. But there is still a good chance you would experience one or the other.
Peter Johnson is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 03-01-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Johnson View Post

Possibly. Worst case scenario: new TV with contrast and brightness set at or near torch levels and stationary image displayed for hours or days. Might get IR or burn in quicker than if contrast and brightness are reduced. But there is still a good chance you would experience one or the other.

I see....torch mode is all the setting set high and in my case only contrast is witch I may lower it to 92-95 (witch is still very high) and cell light of 18. I never have images staing on the screen for more than 5 mins and I never pause movies or games usually...if I do I either turn off TV or use the scrolling feature.

Klipsch RF82II Fronts & Wides
Klipsch RC64II Center
Klipsch RB61II Heights & Surrounds
2X Elemental design 15" subs W/ O-audio amps
Denon 4311ci
2X Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung D8000 64"
Denon 3313 UBD
Full GIK treatments

New theater under construction!
robc1976 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off