Panasonic GT25 PQ Problem (Xbox 360... can someone check if this is normal?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-03-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey there guys, first post.

I just purchased a GT25, and I absolutely love it. I'm a grad student and this is my first HDTV (an upgrade from my 13" TV with a built-in-VCR).

Anyway, here's my issue. I just connected my TV and noticed two things:

1) I noticed the infamous "plasma buzz", but only during light scenes and if the volume is muted. At around volume level 8 (when things become audible), the buzz is drowned out. It is bothering me only because I spent a lot. Is this something I should be concerned about? Does it serve as a sort of bad prognostic indicator of the TV's future?

2) This is the main reason I posted:

If you turn on your Xbox 360 and hit the center button on the controller (the Xbox button), a menu comes up. On that menu, the item highlighted is green. Adjacent to the highlighted item on either side of the green, the colors are brighter - it's by a tiny bit, but you can see that the sides of the highlighted item are brighter than they would be if that item wasn't highlighted. Can someone here take a look at this and let me know if you have a similar issue? It isn't distracting, and it very well may be a flaw in the Xbox dashboard graphics. I don't know what it is, I just want to see if it's normal.

I wish I could just let these things go... but it's a new TV and I spent a good amount of money on it (perhaps not much relative to the hundred thousand dollars I owe in student loans (literally)).

I appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-03-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
1. Buzz volume varies from unit to unit. Only you can decide your tolerance for it, but if you exchange it, the buzz could be better or worse. You can also submit a service request to Panasonic, in which case their authorized service tech may decide to: 1. do nothing, 2. replace one or more boards, 3. install a "felt kit".

2. What you're seeing in this situation is called "line bleed". It is within normal tolerances if it is not visible with normal content (I.E., not solid color graphics).
post #3 of 4 Old 03-03-2011, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

1. Buzz volume varies from unit to unit. Only you can decide your tolerance for it, but if you exchange it, the buzz could be better or worse. You can also submit a service request to Panasonic, in which case their authorized service tech may decide to: 1. do nothing, 2. replace one or more boards, 3. install a "felt kit".

2. What you're seeing in this situation is called "line bleed". It is within normal tolerances if it is not visible with normal content (I.E., not solid color graphics).

Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "I.E., not solid color graphics). The only time I've really noticed it is in this menu, I've never seen it watching TV so far or when playing a game. Please clarify.

In response to the buzzing issue - I guess I just want to know if it's possible to get a unit that has zero buzzing (literally). A unit that, if the screen was completely white, at a high brightness/contrast, in a silent room, would produce no buzzing. If that is not the case, then I feel that I can tolerate the buzzing on my unit, and I'm just experiencing some OCPD.

Thanks for your help and quick response.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-03-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncannyvalley View Post

Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "I.E., not solid color graphics). The only time I've really noticed it is in this menu, I've never seen it watching TV so far or when playing a game. Please clarify.

In response to the buzzing issue - I guess I just want to know if it's possible to get a unit that has zero buzzing (literally). A unit that, if the screen was completely white, at a high brightness/contrast, in a silent room, would produce no buzzing. If that is not the case, then I feel that I can tolerate the buzzing on my unit, and I'm just experiencing some OCPD.

Thanks for your help and quick response.

By solid color graphics I mean, for example, the green "preview" screen before movie trailers, video game menus (as you've seen), or even the plasma's internal menus.

I have a GT25 and first noticed this issue when I ran the channel auto-programming function.

The preview screen is the canonical test for line bleed.

As far as buzzing, I'm going to refrain from offering much advice. There's so much variability, both unit-to-unit and in each individual person's perception of the problem. If you bought locally or from an online retailer that does returns, you might try getting another one. As I said, the buzz could be better, worse, or just the same. Otherwise, if you decide to keep this one and find the buzz objectionable later on, you should get at least a service visit while still under warranty.

Maybe you should ask about buzz in the GT25 owners' thread. I'm sure you'll get stronger opinions than I'm willing to offer.

Do some searching, too. Both line bleed and buzz have been discussed at length.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page