Vidikron VP50 Worth Fixing? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-03-2011, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have inherited a Vidikron VP50 from work. We had two, the other one still looks great, but this one has 'noise' on the screen. It started out with just a little, but it has progressed to being unwatchable.

From what I can find (very little for some reason) this was a very high end plasma when it was made in March of 2006. I still haven't been able to find anyone to repair it, mainly due to my extreme remote location. Also can't seem to get Runco/Vidikron Support, they just tell me to contact a dealer. Anyone have a guess as to what might be wrong, and how much it might cost to repair? The noise is on all inputs, and affects everything, including the menus. Lines of green, red, etc.

I am looking to replace my old TV now, and considering the deals available for 2010 model TVs.

Can anyone tell me if this TV would be worth repairing? If its going to cost a lot to repair, is it still worth it? Is the display that much better than the new TV's today? Looking at Samsung 8000 or Pan VT25. Can get them both for less than $2k now, in giant screen sizes.

Any information would be helpful!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-04-2011, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone here will tell you that most plasmas built pre-'07 are way past their prime and def not worth repairing. I would strongly discourage any repair efforts on the Vidikron, because I'm willing to bet its black levels are really gray, and that its colors are way off, and I doubt it's larger than 42", in addition it's probably 1024*768 resolution, which is the lowest of the low of 720p resolution.

Bottom line is to let the TV get recycled, and be happy knowing that the Sammy 8000 or Pan VT25 are both a million times better than the Vidikron in every respect - you won't be disappointed when you upgrade. Happy hunting ferule!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page