Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxST30 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I plan on it, but is there a simple, scaled down version you can post here without breaking any rules?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

And D-Nice disputed what HDGuru posted about that probe. However, it does appear that for whatever reason, ChadB got a much worse result than what other calibrators have gotten.

Not a knock on Chad, just the reality of what could happen when being the first review to hit the interwebs.

Yeah not to knock Chad at all. I think he may have received a dud.
post #453 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 11:23 AM

Liked: 11
I'm on my second GT25, and the buzzing is getting worse. Watching TV with the volume somewhat low last night, I repeatedly heard the buzz above the volume.

I am not bothered by having the very lowest black levels. The reviews of the ST30 tell me clearly that the PQ is going to be good enough for me (very close to the GT25, which I love).

So the real question is whether it will buzz less. I would LOVE to have a plasma that I can sit 8 feet away from and not hear loud buzzing when I fast-forward through commercials.

I see a few people say "no buzz," but:
- Has anyone heard buzzing?
- what do you hear when you put your head behind the panel?
post #454 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 11:50 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsweeney View Post

Now he's offering a ST30. Do you guys feel this is a fair exchange?

Yep, the ST30 is better than the G20/25 by many accounts; so, you shouldn't expect anything better than that.
post #455 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Yeah the ST30 feedback over there seems to be more positive than it is here

First video is up.

post #456 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fronesis View Post

I'm on my second GT25, and the buzzing is getting worse. Watching TV with the volume somewhat low last night, I repeatedly heard the buzz above the volume.

I am not bothered by having the very lowest black levels. The reviews of the ST30 tell me clearly that the PQ is going to be good enough for me (very close to the GT25, which I love).

So the real question is whether it will buzz less. I would LOVE to have a plasma that I can sit 8 feet away from and not hear loud buzzing when I fast-forward through commercials.

I see a few people say "no buzz," but:
- Has anyone heard buzzing?
- what do you hear when you put your head behind the panel?

I stated eariler in this thread "No buzzing" on my 50ST30. I will try to be more detailed as I know this can be an issue. If I stick my head at the back of the panel, ear ~10-12 inches away from the back surface, I can hear a faint buzz. Directly in front of the panel, nose 6 inches from the top bezel, no audible buzz. Anything beyond 6 inches, no audible buzz. These findings were confirmed by my wife ("You want me to do what?" )

Also, neither of us can see 'yellow phosphor trails' when quickly panning the 'first person' view in Fallout: New Vegas via PS3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 100% Instrumental Surf Music. Commercial Free.
post #457 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

Increased dithering/noise and possibly banding plus a gamma curve that is also possibly not optimal. That plus the colors are usually off and oversaturated in Vivid mode. Vivid is mostly for showing off TV's in a bright environment (such as a showroom at a store).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

The reason is that vivid screws up all the picture settings on the go to maximize vibrancy of colors, even if something wasn't filmed that way. Take some more nuanced material with natural skin tones instead of UFO lady cartoon colors. Something like Batman Begins is one I like a lot for testing. There are some nuanced skin tones in a number of scenes there due to lighting where a lot of displays have a hard time getting them down right.

There isn't anything wrong about liking vivid mode if you want to use it, but please take some photos in the real modes for anyone who's curious. Most people on avs hate vivid modes like it's the black death. The reason is that it almost always makes anything that's not a cartoon/animation look hideous. Avatar might be alright because so much of it is crazy UFO people and hyper-saturation even when you have "normal people" in it.

Thanks for the info guys. I didn't know that.
post #458 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 02:59 PM

My dreams were "shattered" today, literally. The 55ST30 was delivered today and the screen was shattered..%$#$@!!!! New one coming on Friday, hopefully intact.

$%^&*!
post #459 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedarat View Post

My dreams were "shattered" today, literally. The 55ST30 was delivered today and the screen was shattered..%$#$@!!!! New one coming on Friday, hopefully intact.

$%^&*!

It happens. Let us know how it turns out.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #460 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

I stated eariler in this thread "No buzzing" on my 50ST30. I will try to be more detailed as I know this can be an issue. If I stick my head at the back of the panel, ear ~10-12 inches away from the back surface, I can hear a faint buzz. Directly in front of the panel, nose 6 inches from the top bezel, no audible buzz. Anything beyond 6 inches, no audible buzz. These findings were confirmed by my wife ("You want me to do what?" )

THANK YOU!

That's exactly the information I needed.

If I put my head behind my panel, there is nothing at all "faint" about the sound coming out.

I'm now very tempted to return this second GT25 and pick up an ST30. I only wish that Amazon stocked them directly, since the Amazon return policy is just brilliant.
post #461 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:

$%^&*!

plasma shipping always makes me nervous ..

who delivered yours ??
post #462 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:

THANK YOU!

That's exactly the information I needed.

If I put my head behind my panel, there is nothing at all "faint" about the sound coming out.

I'm now very tempted to return this second GT25 and pick up an ST30. I only wish that Amazon stocked them directly, since the Amazon return policy is just brilliant.

As it has been said in the past, panel buzz is apart of plasma technology. All plasmas buzz. Whether or not you hear the buzz is dependent on many variables. Hearing capability, room acoustics and placement are just a few.

As such, yes the ST30 buzzes. I do not find the buzz loud it annoying. But I can clearly hear it and it is coming from the center of the screen (completely normal). Whether or not you can hear it is going to be a question that will not be able to be answered by anyone else except you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #463 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 03:48 PM
RUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I don't personally know when they'll be released, but if i did post anything about it then that would have been how Panasonic's press release stated "March" for the 50" and 55" GT30. The 60" and 65" GT30 are stated "April". Dunno if that is accurate or still on track etc. My gut has been kinda telling me that it won't be out in March though.

Yeah I figured the same thing. I had a couple of reps till me they would probably arrive in mid march, but the st30s haven't even arrived for the bb here. I guess I'll just have to wait. No worries thanks a lot
post #464 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Has anyone measured the frequency of this "buzz"? What does the spectrum look like? My old ears have never heard it.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

As it has been said in the past, panel buzz is apart of plasma technology. All plasmas buzz. Whether or not you hear the buzz is dependent on many variables. Hearing capability, room acoustics and placement are just a few.

As such, yes the ST30 buzzes. I do not find the buzz loud it annoying. But I can clearly hear it and it is coming from the center of the screen (completely normal). Whether or not you can hear it is going to be a question that will not be able to be answered by anyone else except you.

post #465 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post

Once I figured out how to turn it on (3D button on control, duh), I've been using it for all my non-native 3D viewing. Turned up the effect to max, turned off motion smoothing, looks great. Adds depth into the screen, not so much "coming out of screen" moments.

Only "artifact" I've seen so far in 2D-3D conversion is in The Blind Side, when the social worker guy is talking to Leanne about adopting Mike, the detail in the very narrow coloured stripes of his shirt cause a slight aliasing effect. Apart from that, no issues. I don't have experience with other 3D TVs to compare this.

Sorry to sound ignorant, I know this is in the ST30 thread, but I thought the ST30 did not have 3d conversion? I now believe I am wrong about this... Can someone confirm if the 55ST30 will have 3d conversion?
post #466 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Do you think the ST30 is noticeably quieter than the GT25 (both in 50")?

I'm having a very hard time figuring out whether I'm just one of the rare folks for whom the buzz is *really* annoying, or whether both of my GT25s have been noisier than average.

If I launch netflix on vieracast the buzzing on the white netflix screens is VERY noticeable (I daresay it is "loud") when seated on my couch 8 ft. from the screen.

And I can hear mine buzz OVER the audio track when a white screen comes on late at night (when I have the sound down).

I've been trying to "just get used to it," but the truth is that the buzzing is a real problem for me. I'm amazed at how many folks say their units "don't buzz at all."

For me, the buzzing on the GT25 has a very high-pitched dimension that increases dramatically on white screens.

My friend who lives in the apartment next door has a 58" Samsung 8000 plasma. It has a constant buzz, but it's much lower-pitched and much less variable. It doesn't really bother me. But the buzz on my GT25 is just hard to take, and that's true on my second one - even though it's better than the first.

I feel certain that my problem is partially created by having the TV on an open stand in a fairly quiet room with plenty of echoing surfaces, and it's made much worse by the fact that I have very good high frequency hearing.

Maybe the ST30 is no better, but there seem to be multiple folks here who returned their GT25s for buzzing and are now happy with their ST30s...
post #467 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Spanky View Post
plasma shipping always makes me nervous ..

who delivered yours ??
For anyone else wondering, more info on my delivery woes:

Best Buy via "Cory" at least that is what I read on their shirts.

The box was opened before it got off the truck and I was told. "the box is open because we are an outside company contracted by Best Buy, so we want to make sure it's not broken before it gets on the truck.."

When they saw it was shattered.. they tried to cover up and said "oh we only looked at it while is in the box, we did not pull it out, the reflection was hiding the broken glass" ...
yea, whatever. I hope I don't get the same guys..
post #468 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 05:47 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Amazon has had the 46" and 50" in stock since yesterday (you have to select the "other sellers" list to see them). They also had the 42" yesterday, but now its in "ships within 3-4 weeks" status. They don't carry the 55" yet though.
post #469 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum View Post
Amazon has had the 46" and 50" in stock since yesterday (you have to select the "other sellers" list to see them). They also had the 42" yesterday, but now its in "ships within 3-4 weeks" status. They don't carry the 55" yet though.
Thanks, but I should have been clearer.

Those TVs are sold through amazon and even "fulfilled by Amazon" with amazon prime, but they are coming from "Paul's TV" and, most importantly, they do NOT qualify for the Amazon 30 Day TV return policy.

That's my worry. If I order one there and it buzzes too (which it might) then I have to deal with Paul's TV to return it. Amazon's return policy is no questions asked, but most places don't work that way for such huge expensive items.
post #470 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 06:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Those TVs are sold through amazon and even "fulfilled by Amazon" with amazon prime, but they are coming from "Paul's TV" and, most importantly, they do NOT qualify for the Amazon 30 Day TV return policy.

That's my worry. If I order one there and it buzzes too (which it might) then I have to deal with Paul's TV to return it. Amazon's return policy is no questions asked, but most places don't work that way for such huge expensive items.
By default, Amazon lists the seller with the lowest price if there's multiple sellers. I'm looking at the 50" listing now, and "Video & Audio Center" is the default. But if you look at the "More Buying Choices" frame on the right hand side, Amazon.com is listed and is currently in stock. And if you select the Amazon choice, it'll give you the usual "This item qualifies for the TV Low Price Guarantee, Free Shipping with Amazon Prime, and Free 30 Day TV Returns" message.
post #471 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Just picked up a 42ST30 today.

First, the blacks on this tv are great. I've got an S2, but side by side with the ST30, the blacks are deeper. Even on a 0IRE signal. However, I have about 1000 hours on the S2, so while I doubt there was a rise, it's possible. I haven't noticed it, though.

Second, there are no floating blacks. The blacks are deep and stable. If this is what .008 is, I'll take it over .004 floating. The picture is very punchy, seems to have great contrast. I've had to set the panel brightness to the mid level, otherwise, it's just too dim for me.

Third, the gamma is much improved over my S2. Actually, just about anything would have better gamma than the S2

There seems to also be more gradations from light to black. The amount of phosphor trailing, or as I see it on Pannys, yellow flashing, is reduced. It's not perfect, but it's an improvement. It's noticeable on the scrolling bar.

The oddest thing, as has been reported on HDJ, is the louver filter. It does do a great job at keeping the blacks dark like an lcd with light in the room, but when looking at the tv off angles and downward, brightness drops off like an lcd- but it's not nearly as bad.

The only thing that would make this tv better would be slightly deeper blacks, because it's not as deep as a kuro
Basically, this tv is better in every regard than my S2 from last year. Hope it stays that way.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #472 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post
I also own a gt25, and have not noticed one hint of floating blacks. I think it was more of an issue on the g20. The Gt25 appears to be more in line with the vt25 from what I have read.
I own a GT25, build date August (possibly the reason why, if they fixed it in later months), that I just purchased last month. It has horrible floating blacks and it's driving me absolutely insane. I have an open case with Panasonic about this, and I am arguing to get a replacement because nobody else on AVS has reported this to be a problem with the GT25. I also have a stuck pixel as well. I have not received an update in two weeks, except a email last Thursday saying my case is still under review by upper management. I am unable to return it because USA Appliance will not take returns on tv's over 32 inches. I'm not confident that they will do anything, but I am hopefull.

It's so bad that if I am unable to get it replaced, I will try to sell it and take a loss on it and purchase the ST30 or GT30 instead. I enjoy watching movies in the dark, and the floating blacks have ruined this for me. I only purchase Panasonic TV's and have for many years, but this experience has really got me pretty down on them.
post #473 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum View Post
By default, Amazon lists the seller with the lowest price if there's multiple sellers. I'm looking at the 50" listing now, and "Video & Audio Center" is the default. But if you look at the "More Buying Choices" frame on the right hand side, Amazon.com is listed and is currently in stock. And if you select the Amazon choice, it'll give you the usual "This item qualifies for the TV Low Price Guarantee, Free Shipping with Amazon Prime, and Free 30 Day TV Returns" message.
You're right.

I'm an idiot.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify it for me.
post #474 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 PM

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed already-my brain turned to mush after reading all of the .00xfl talk.

I've gone thru this thread in the past couple of hours and I know exactly how you feel, LOL!~

I wouldn't lose much sleep over two pairs of glasses, but I really only need 50 inches. Well more accurately, my wife only wants 50 inches.

I can't even think of worthy reply to that....

I saw the 50ST30 at a local BB, this afternoon. I'm no expert, and I'm obviously not as picky/expert as some on this thread, but it sure looked good to me. I've got an 8 or so year old Panny, 32 inch, I couldn't tell you the model, and it, to me still has an excellent pic and it's not even 1080.

I'm seriously thinking of buying this TV and appreciate all the input, even if I don't understand it all, from one and all. I don't do any gaming and I probably won't be watching much 3D, but it sounds like even in 2D, this is a very good TV for the money.

Looking forward to more reviews of the TV.
post #475 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:

$%^&*!

I got mine Monday (50 inch) and it was broken too. I seen that the guy had it on it's side laying on the dolly in the back of the truck. I opened the box and seen that there was a good bit of foam broken. I checked the screen and seen no cracks from the limited view.

I signed the forum because it says (on Paul's TV) not to refuse shippment. But I noted it on the slip.

Wasn't till I got it out of the box and into some light that I seen the crack.

I have to say, that this TV's packing is very minimal protection. 2 small foam braces at the top of the TV... Which have very thin slots.

I would suggest anyone getting this TV from online to open the box fully before signing. I gotta wait weeks to get a refund... Because they will not replace it.

Sucks, because I was gonna make a great youtube video of it.

post #476 of 8449 Old 03-16-2011, 10:20 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid View Post

I got mine Monday (50 inch) and it was broken too. I seen that the guy had it on it's side laying on the dolly in the back of the truck. I opened the box and seen that there was a good bit of foam broken. I checked the screen and seen no cracks from the limited view. I signed the forum because it says (on Paul's TV) not to refuse shippment. But I noted it on the slip. Wasn't till I got it out of the box and into some light that I seen the crack.

I have to say, that this TV's packing is very minimal protection. 2 small foam braces at the top of the TV... Which have very thin slots.

I would suggest anyone getting this TV from online to open the box fully before signing. I gotta wait weeks to get a refund... Because they will not replace it.

As soon as i saw it laying on the dolly on the back of the truck i would have refused it before even opening it despite what Pauls said, or i'd at least make the driver wait while i call them on the phone to tell them that it's laying down in the truck and you don't want to risk accepting it. I also would have removed the upper box and plastic covering and thoroughly inspected the screen. There's no way a retailer is going to tell me not to refuse a broken TV.

It's bad enough if a plasma is transported laying flat on the bed of the truck, but lying on top of a dolly would probably guarantee the screen is broken inside.

The fact that the upper foam packing is thin is of no consequence, it's only there to keep the TV squared up in the box - it's not intended to support the TV while laying down since it's not supposed to be shipped laying down in the first place. The important foam are the pieces along the bottom - they're the ones that are designed to take the bouncing when the TV is transported in the proper upright position.

Paul's TV is a good B&M chain that's been around for like 50 years, so it's a little surprising that they're only going to refund you instead of shipping you a new one. I guess they're going to cut their losses by not paying the shipping for a second TV.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #477 of 8449 Old 03-17-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge14 View Post

Sorry to sound ignorant, I know this is in the ST30 thread, but I thought the ST30 did not have 3d conversion? I now believe I am wrong about this... Can someone confirm if the 55ST30 will have 3d conversion?

Yes, this year (2011) the ST, GT and VT series all have 2D->3D conversion.
post #478 of 8449 Old 03-17-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:

Mine was ordered via Amazon (thru Paul's TV). Shipped from AZ to NY via Pilot, locally delivered by two guys in a white work van. I was shitting bricks about damage too but no worries in the end.
post #479 of 8449 Old 03-17-2011, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Morbid, sucks you have to wait several weeks on a refund. On the plus side, by the time you recieve your refund, these will have been out in circulation for some time(as well as the GTs and Samsungs), and you'll likely get a better price on it.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #480 of 8449 Old 03-17-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgsx View Post

I don't know about a lot of you guys but I love my st30! Im not a videophile but I do appreciate a nice, clean picture! I think a lot of you guys are taking all these numbers quite to seriously. Here are a few pictures of my 50"....

The picture setting used was one of the factory settings: Vivid

And I believe if you know what you're doing (calibrating), it should be A LOT better than above.

** I ran out of battery so I couldn't snap any more pictures from Predators**

Hi incase anyone else aint said it here could u do some screens of the TV in true cinema in a dark room please?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page