Old 03-18-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
Amidst calibrating 3 TVs and writing a review, I did have a chance to quickly throw the meter on the ST30 for a second reading now that it's had a few days to rest. Now, I did not profile the Trichromat off the i1Pro, as is the normal practice for improving tristim meter accuracy, because that would have meant a lot more waiting for things to stabilize, cool down, etc. Unprofiled, it will not be spot on; but it should still be in the neighborhood, if not the ballpark. Which it was- .0072 fL.
Well, that would explain why my ST30 looks slightly blacker on 0IRE than my S2 that has less than 500 hours on it.

Any idea what the ANSI would be now? The blacks on this tv are really stable, Chad, it's got a sort of depth in the picture that I didn't see from last year's models, save the VT25.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffytvs39 View Post
Contrast: +48
Brightness: +60
Color: +56
Tint: +6
Sharpness: +20
Color Temp: Normal
C.A.T.S Off
Video NR Off

Pro Settings
Color Space: Normal
W/B high G : -2
W/B low R: +5
W/B low G: +9
Gamma adjustment: S-curve
Thanks. I'll report back once I dial them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
Interesting, I think you'll find you're of the minority whom likes vivid mode on these forums.

Just curious. When you set your audio equalizer in your car or at home do you have the bass and treble turned up? Or set the equalizer so it looks like a smile when your done?

Vivid mode is to video is what a smiley face looking EQ is to sound.

However, everyone is entitled to whatever it is they prefer. And F anyone who thinks different.
Quite the opposite actually. When I'm done setting the EQ I get the sad smiley face. I prefer clean mids to bright highs and loud lows.

And you sir are correct, everyone is entitled to whatever they prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post
What kind of content do you typically watch? Vivid modes typically look the best with animated or highly saturated (read: "stylized") content where the tones aren't natural anyway. If you primarily watch action flicks or content where isn't mostly explosions, effects, and stuff than you might be liking the exaggerated colors. Ultimately, it comes down to preference and if you like vivid mode more power to you. The most important thing is that you enjoy the set you're watching.

One comment I'll make is that the benefits of vivid are typically reduced vs. using the more accurate modes with a good calibration (which is not the same thing as just plugging in other settings).
I watch mostly action/sci-fi/fantasy and horror flicks. Animation is only when my nieces/nephews are over. Im always open to other calibration numbers to compare it to Vivid.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just saw the 50 st30 at best buy. While the colors were nice, and as chad would say has nice "pop", it just seemed so pixilated. It was like staring at glass table with M&Ms and Skittles spread all over. I'll wait for the GT or VT.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senkoskipper View Post
Just saw the 50 st30 at best buy. While the colors were nice, and as chad would say has nice "pop", it just seemed so pixilated. It was like staring at glass table with M&Ms and Skittles spread all over. I'll wait for the GT or VT.
Sounds like the set at Best Buy was on Vivid mode. If you take a look a couple pages back at the pics posted by thisgsx, this should be similar to what you experienced in the store. A calibrated set or at the least a set in Cinema/THX mode with "normal" settings should not exhibit this.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

If i were to spend big money on a TV i would take in my best BD player and a well known DVD or BD hook em up if the store allows that and really see how the set looks.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
Old 03-18-2011, 04:34 PM

Image pixelation tends to be more of an issue with the quality/source of the material they're sending to the sets. Send degraded signal, tv displays it.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:10 PM

quick question. What is the difference between the 50S30 and the 50ST30? One is 3D (the ST30) and the other isn't, so is that the only difference?
Old 03-18-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgsx View Post

I watch mostly action/sci-fi/fantasy and horror flicks. Animation is only when my nieces/nephews are over. Im always open to other calibration numbers to compare it to Vivid.

Different people focus more or less on different things. If you're focused on the action and effects, then vivid might be alright. It wreaks havoc on skin tones and natural colors.

See how the Pro numbers work for you, but be aware that's not the same thing as a calibration. A calibration is either going into the service menu or ISF modes (if available) and using test patterns and measuring equipment to measure the light output and adjust everything to get optimum pop and color accuracy.

If you have a calibrator do it, they usually charge around $300. Alternatively, if you have user-level access to all the settings I guess you could dial in someone else's numbers but I don't get the impression that's the case here. If you do get a calibration, just make sure to go with someone who's well rated on avs. There's a thread with all the known good calibrators so you can find one in your area. A proper calibration makes a huge difference.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orediggers10 View Post

quick question. What is the difference between the 50S30 and the 50ST30? One is 3D (the ST30) and the other isn't, so is that the only difference?

IIRC, The S series uses a different panel then the ST, GT, VT (which do share the same panel)
Old 03-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

no reviews done on the s30 yet
Old 03-18-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:

I've seen both TV's next to each other at BB. The S30 had lighter blacks than the ST30 under the harsh store lights. At a quick glance the S30 has a noticeably inferior anti-reflective screen compared to the ST30, a limited set of web features, and doesn't come with a wi-fi dongle.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffytvs39 View Post

Sharpness: +20
Gamma adjustment: S-curve

These settings scare me.

S-Curve shouldn't be the best choise by far. And IMO should the sharpness left at zero für Full HD-material.

Quote:

What kind of content do you typically watch? Vivid modes typically look the best with animated or highly saturated (read: "stylized") content where the tones aren't natural anyway.

Hmm, IMO even in Pixar-movies Vivid looks horrible and in any case the picture looks nit like it was intended.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:15 PM

I've seen both TV's next to each other at BB. The S30 had lighter blacks than the ST30 under the harsh store lights. At a quick glance the S30 has a noticeably inferior anti-reflective screen compared to the ST30, a limited set of web features, and doesn't come with a wi-fi dongle.

so BB is including the dongle? I've seen it at BB, but I don't remember the dongle being included. I did ask about a starter kit, which is not included and was told they'd give me a good deal on one, whatever that means....
Old 03-18-2011, 07:23 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:

So based on one look at BB you're going to wait for a GT30 or VT30 without even asking us how or why that ST30 looked like a glass table with M&Ms and Skittles spread all over? And ignoring all the posts here and elsewhere where people are reporting that the ST30 looks pretty good? Or is this the story you're going to use on the wife in order to get a better TV?

I've seen the ST30 in two stores now and it looked great - as good as or better than virtually all of the surrounding TVs. No pixelation, no M&Ms, and no Skittles. They looked better than i remember the G25/GT25 series looking a few months ago.

Obviously there was something amiss with that TV's settings or connection or signal etc, or it could have just plain been defective. I've seen top-of-the-line TVs look worse than low end models in the stores over the years. Did you access the user menu and take it out of the icky useless Vivid store display mode and adjust all the settings? If not, you cannot go by what you were seeing during your visit - something was definitely wrong. I put one of em into Custom mode and did a quick adjustment and was very impressed. Moreso than with the G25.

If my G10 were to blow up right now, i wouldn't hesitate to order an ST30 tonight just based on what i've seen and read.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

So based on one look at BB you're going to wait for a GT30 or VT30 without even asking us how or why that ST30 looked like a glass table with M&Ms and Skittles spread all over? And ignoring all the posts here and elsewhere where people are reporting that the ST30 looks pretty good? Or is this the story you're going to use on the wife in order to get a better TV?

I've seen the ST30 in two stores now and it looked great - as good as or better than virtually all of the surrounding TVs. No pixelation, no M&Ms, and no Skittles. They looked better than i remember the G25/GT25 series looking a few months ago.

Obviously there was something amiss with that TV's settings or connection or signal etc, or it could have just plain been defective. I've seen top-of-the-line TVs look worse than low end models in the stores over the years. Did you access the user menu and take it out of the icky useless Vivid store display mode and adjust all the settings? If not, you cannot go by what you were seeing during your visit - something was definitely wrong. I put one of em into Custom mode and did a quick adjustment and was very impressed. Moreso than with the G25.

If my G10 were to blow up right now, i wouldn't hesitate to order an ST30 tonight just based on what i've seen and read.

I agree. I've never seen a better picture on a plasma at a Best Buy.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:

so BB is including the dongle? I've seen it at BB, but I don't remember the dongle being included. I did ask about a starter kit, which is not included and was told they'd give me a good deal on one, whatever that means....

The dongle shows as an included accessory in the manual that Randy posted a while ago.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Spanky View Post

any word on input lag yet ??

In box with 50ST30
Old 03-18-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Different people focus more or less on different things. If you're focused on the action and effects, then vivid might be alright. It wreaks havoc on skin tones and natural colors.

See how the Pro numbers work for you, but be aware that's not the same thing as a calibration. A calibration is either going into the service menu or ISF modes (if available) and using test patterns and measuring equipment to measure the light output and adjust everything to get optimum pop and color accuracy.

If you have a calibrator do it, they usually charge around $300. Alternatively, if you have user-level access to all the settings I guess you could dial in someone else's numbers but I don't get the impression that's the case here. If you do get a calibration, just make sure to go with someone who's well rated on avs. There's a thread with all the known good calibrators so you can find one in your area. A proper calibration makes a huge difference.

Yes, the thing is I'm actually kind of scared to get it calibrated. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that this is a very subjective matter and it all comes down to personal taste. Vivid may look bad to the majority here, but I'm in the minority, and I personally think Cinema is very 'plain' to me whereas the majority think Cinema is very good. So I think getting the set calibrated would be a waste of money for me. Of course unless I see a set professionally calibrated and if it's to my liking then I'm all for it.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:15 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowningape View Post

I agree. I've never seen a better picture on a plasma at a Best Buy.

Well it's certainly not as good as the various Kuros i've seen at BB and MHT (i don't think any Panny or Sammy will ever beat one) but this ST30 surprisingly looks about as good to me as the various G25/GT25s i've played with and about as good as the Sammy C7000 too. I'd love to see an ST30 in a proper home environment

Edit - Wow, i just hit 13,000 posts

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 03-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Well it's certainly not as good as the various Kuros i've seen at BB and MHT (i don't think any Panny or Sammy will ever beat one) but this ST30 surprisingly looks about as good to me as the various G25/GT25s i've played with and about as good as the Sammy C7000 too. I'd love to see an ST30 in a proper home environment

San Diego isn't that far...shoot me a PM if you want to check out my 50ST30.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

In box with 50ST30

Thanks a lot Gandu, I'm sure a lot of users will appreciate your results. I'll be sure add them to the input lag thread. What picture mode did you have it in there (Game?), and did you happen to measure any difference across the various modes (e.g. Cinema, Custom, Standard, Etc...)?
Old 03-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Game mode with CATS - off, Motion Smoother - off.
I didn't check the other picture modes.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Spanky View Post

any word on input lag yet ??

I wanted to start checking that but I just didn't have a chance this time around. Thanks, Gandu for checking it.

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:LG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300, LG 55EA8800 (including 3D)

Why I don't publish settings, Review index and rankings, Florida tour Dec '14, Texas tour Jan '15
Old 03-18-2011, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

I wanted to start checking that but I just didn't have a chance this time around. Thanks, Gandu for checking it.

Chad with as many sets as you get your hands on, it would be super if you could get a consistent system going for measurements. It still blows my mind that (to the best of my knowledge), no one ever measured any of the C-series Samsung PDP's.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 91
is Panasonic offering any 3D bundles with their new 2011 sets?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

is Panasonic offering any 3D bundles with their new 2011 sets?

I'm curious about this as well.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:49 PM

I was considering buying the V25 to replace my XVT473SV but I'm waiting for the new lines now. This set seems to have more consistant benefits than the V25 (motion, and if the blacks are as good as they should be based on some readings other than Chad's, they're nothing to get upset about).

If these are this good, the above lines should only be better. Very excited to hear about the GT30.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:04 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

Game mode with CATS - off, Motion Smoother - off.
I didn't check the other picture modes.

What resolution did you test at? And did you use a CRT or LCD as your reference monitor?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:24 AM

55"st30. Replaced a 36" Hitachi crt. Very pleased with it. Haven't really messed much with settings yet.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Look at all that extra wall space you left empty!

Should have gone 65. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBart View Post

55"st30. Replaced a 36" Hitachi crt. Very pleased with it. Haven't really messed much with settings yet.

buytme

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60st30 by PriceGrabber.com