Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxST30 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 247 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7381 of 8443 Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The xbox can play 3d games but not movies bc it does not have a blu raY drive , there are only about 6 games available though that run in 3d right now for the xbox 360 , gears of war 3 is one of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 8443 Old 02-16-2012, 01:09 PM

Didn't know that. However baffled that the tv says 3d content avaiable when playing MW3. But I'm assuming that the Denon when off still doesn't allow 3d from Blue Ray, correct?
post #7383 of 8443 Old 02-16-2012, 02:30 PM

I don t know anyything else but maybe it's trying to tell you it can convert the game from 2d to 3d which I believe is possible but will not look great at all compared to games made to run in 3d , you may want to do a google search to see if the game was made in 3d. Besides that can any one provide me some info on settings to make the set look nice and not to dark ?, I'd appreciate it , I did not do break in on it. Thanks
post #7384 of 8443 Old 02-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiTaLdAzE View Post

I have been using a 50" ST30 for around 6 months now.I purchased it firstly for gaming on my PC, and secondarily for movies. The set has been a great buy, particularly for the FPS games I like to play. However, i have noticed something odd lately. During the first several months there was no sign of image retention. But now this has changed, and in a rather unexpected way--here is an example. I turned on my PC this evening, and went to 'My Computer' where you can see your C: drive. I viewed that window for maybe a minute or so. After I closed it I could see IR (a faint but quite noticeable image) of that window on the desktop. I have a solid black desktop background, with screensaver set to activate in one minute. I have had many instances of this kind of thing including from desktop icons (I now put all those on the taskbar which is hidden). If I run the scrolling bar for one cycle the IR disappears completely. But, I am wondering why it is happening at all from stuff that is only displayed so briefly. I am running the set from the HDMI port on my graphics card to HDMI 2 on the TV.The set only started showing this behavior in the past month or so. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

I feel like I am experiencing the same thing, although I do not play video games. After the first several months of viewing the TV with movies + cable TV with no problems at all (purchased in June '11), I now seem to have some solid IR.

For example, I went in to edit some speaker settings through my Onkyo 709 receiver the other day, and even though the menu screen was only up for a maximum of 1 mintue, when I exited I had some nice IR. Not sure why it is occurring after such short periods of time with static images on the screen, or why this suddenly started happening now after several problem-free months of use...

post #7385 of 8443 Old 02-16-2012, 05:07 PM

Please tell me what you guys would do in my situation.

I have a 42" ST30.

This is my 3rd one because all the previous ones had issues.

My current one has the FBr issue which I can get fixed but it would take some time for them to get the part shipped.

I also have a smudge that looks kinda green on the left side of my screen when viewing the darkest grey slides on the color slides. A green blob on the left side basically (I don't think it's visible during normal viewing)

And starting to get slight Image Retention from the Battlefield 3 radar

It's been passed 30 days for me to return it to Best Buy so that's not an option but I still have the 1 year Panasonic warranty and the Best Buy burn in protection thing.

This TV has really good PQ but I cannot live with all of the problems it has. If I could have I would've returned it and gotten an LCD TV.

But now my options are either stick with the TV I have with the current issues

or

Exchange through Panasonic warranty with the risk of it having all of the same problems my current one has.

or anyone know if Panasonic warranty only exchanges the item or has the option to give you your money back instead?
post #7386 of 8443 Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 PM

does the tv come connected to the stand out of the box? Thanks
post #7387 of 8443 Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSloan View Post

I received a 65ST30 from Paul's TV. Not a single damaged subpixel, no pink or green discoloration, and a sept build date with the patch applied.

Great except for buzzing. With normal moving image buzzing is barely noticeable at 11 foot viewing distance but when the screen goes completely black it gets louder. This is also usually when the audio goes quiet and I can hear it. Other people think I am crazy but I have sensitive ears. Holding a radio shack sound meter directly behind transformer it is less than 50 dB.

Is this normal loudness for the buzzing? Will mounting the TV on the wall and moving an extra foot away help? Would the GT or VT be any different?

I really want to keep set but worried it will annoy me as time goes on.

I'm kind of in the same boat...technicians even ordered a Power board and swapped mine out. When the screen goes black, the transformer still buzzes. I still have 2 weeks before my 30 days run out...I'm still debating if i should keep it. The PQ is superb.
post #7388 of 8443 Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT135i View Post

I didn't measure the distance, but it's pretty much non existent if you plan on putting the center speaker in front and below the center of the monitor.
It's maybe 3" and not more than 4".

Speaking of sound.
I knew the audio quality would be mediocre, but I didn't expect it to be as poorly done as it is.

Modern TV's are so small that it's difficult to get any box resonance for where the speaker sits, and thus a "thin" sound.
Also, most people have some type of surround sound setup for audio.
Still, a basic TV should have an acceptable sound quality and volume level on it's own, at least to be able to watch and hear a news program.
It would be unrealistic to expect hi fi sound, but it's quite realistic to expect better than what's there.
Most of the sound on this TV comes out of the BACK. That's a poor design. If you can't design the speaker to work decently inside the TV case, then add a sound bar on the bottom or side of the TV that works.

I'll probably just get a pair of powered monitor/speakers. I've heard $40 powered speakers that sound much better than the built in speakers on this TV.

My 65 inch st 30 is 2 days old and when i took the volume high yesterday I felt what you have mentioned.
i was seriously thinking there is a problem in my set but now looks like i have to invest in good speakers. the sound system on this monster is like a 1990 radio
Any suggestions for good speakers for this tv?
Regards
in btw : any tricks for improving the voice quality.
you can shoot me a email on rn610@nyu.edu
post #7389 of 8443 Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacos View Post

does the tv come connected to the stand out of the box? Thanks

My 60ST30 did not come connected to the stand.
post #7390 of 8443 Old 02-17-2012, 04:59 AM

I just purchased a 60ST30 from Costco. I went over to look and see how many they might have left at $1199, but when I arrived, they had zero. They did, however, have the floor model, marked down to $800.

I was able to determine from their own inventory database that the TV had only been in the store since Jan. 25, so 3 weeks at most on display. Plus, it's a November 2011 build., so I at least know it hasn't been sitting up there for 6 months.

I still get full 90-day return period and full warranty, so at $800, I couldn't resist.

I haven't even plugged it in yet and can't as I'm out of town for a few days. But, here's my question: At this point, knowing that the TV very likely has 300 to 400 hours on it on the display (I've no idea if Costco shuts them down after closing at night or if they just run 24/day), would there be any benefit to running these slides?
post #7391 of 8443 Old 02-17-2012, 07:57 AM

I originallly bought a 65 price match from Amazon, it had a 3-inch strip of dead pixels. It was a March 2011 build. I was going to have them replace it, but after re-arranging our living room, we decided to put the TV over the fireplace as really the room is a way better flow then on the wall we were thinking about. So 65 was really too big for the new set up.

So then bought the 60" Amazon price matched to the Costco offer, but then the Sears offer came up for the 55" and the two price drops (along with the 55" really being the best fit for the new location), made me change. So was going to be a 65 but just received our 55" yesterday. It's a November 2011 build.

Running the D-Nice slides now. Excited to see the results.

BassAtl - there is no point in running the D-Nice settings as the results of the calibration are based on the procedures he outlines i.e. if you did it the results will vary from what he is recommending.
post #7392 of 8443 Old 02-17-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAtl View Post

I haven't even plugged it in yet and can't as I'm out of town for a few days. But, here's my question: At this point, knowing that the TV very likely has 300 to 400 hours on it on the display (I've no idea if Costco shuts them down after closing at night or if they just run 24/day), would there be any benefit to running these slides?

In your case there is no reason to run the slides.
post #7393 of 8443 Old 02-17-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane View Post

I feel like I am experiencing the same thing, although I do not play video games. After the first several months of viewing the TV with movies + cable TV with no problems at all (purchased in June '11), I now seem to have some solid IR.

For example, I went in to edit some speaker settings through my Onkyo 709 receiver the other day, and even though the menu screen was only up for a maximum of 1 mintue, when I exited I had some nice IR. Not sure why it is occurring after such short periods of time with static images on the screen, or why this suddenly started happening now after several problem-free months of use...

That sounds exactly like what I am seeing. A Panasonic tech I asked about it didn't really have any ideas except to wonder if it could be something to do with running the TV HDMI from my PC to HDMI TV port. Sounds kind of unlikely, but I don't know. In my case the IR I am seeing does completely disappear if I run the scrolling bar for 1 cycle--takes about 15 mins. I think. How about you? Also, this phenomena seems very random, as sometimes a menu or window only viewed for a minute will leave IR whereas another menu or window does not. I have even seen IR of my computer's POST screen when first booting uop after the set has been off for hours, so now I only turn on the TV after it has reached the desktop. So long as it keeps going away it would not be a problem, but since this was a a change from the set's original behavior I would suggest keeping a close eye on things as you near the end of your warranty. One thing I now do is run the scrolling bar on a regular basis especially after gaming or any web browsing--but I mostly use a second comp for web use. Let me know if you find out anything further--send me a PM.
post #7394 of 8443 Old 02-17-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpman View Post

Digit, thanks for the encouraging words. Last night got 6 kills mostly camping. The first time I played alone on team death match some little squirt sent me a message, "YOU BLOW!" Cracked me up. So far been enjoying this bad boy and saves lamp time on the Epson pj which has really horrible input lag. Did notice that while playing a message come up saying 3d image available. Is that possible with Xbox 360 and MW3? Doesn't say 3d on box. I bought 4 pairs of glasses but didn't realize my Denon 5308 isn't 3d ready. Apparently the upgrade is like $2k. If it is off will it pass through 3d from say my Blu Ray or Directv? Or do I have to go direct to tv which is immpsible with on 1 hdmi output on each source? I do plan to upgrade to 3d pj after the new Epson had seasoned a bit.

I did my first multiplayer in Half-Life 2 Deathmatch. I played a lot of that game, and it was a real blast--very fast paced and a bit of a learning curve learning to use the unique weapons. There were things I didn't figure out for over a year of play--you'd have to check it out to see what I mean. On some servers the dialogue back and forth could get pretty nasty but that was not too common. Now I mainly play FPS military games.
I have not done any actual tests for input lag, but feel there is no problem from that with these sets as I have sometimes had some very good rounds which probably would not occur if there was a significant lag factor. But, when you are doing really badly you start to wonder if the set is playing a factor--lol. Here is one of my approaches to improving in CoD multiplayer--find a map or 2 or 3 that you like, and then stick with them until you know them really well. Knowing the map thoroughly will usually give you a significant boost in your score.
Re the 3D question--it looks like you have already received an answer, but here is my setup. I am using a Yamaha AX900U integrated amp for sound driving two Cerwin Vega floor standing speakers--no surround, but it sounds amazing. The amp does not support HDMI, so I am running my HDMI cable from my graphics card directly to the HDMI on the ST30. I connect the Yamaha amp to the sound port on my motherboard using the integrated sound card (eVGA e770 Classified 3 mainboard--Realtek sound drivers). This setup does provide full 3D, but I don't use it because I cannot see 3D effect due to visual impairment. I have not seen that message '3D image available' on this set, perhaps because of the 3D settings I am using in the menu. I did see it on a Panasonic DT30 LED set which I bought previously, but ended up selling.
BTW, what did you think of the single player campaign for CoDMW3? Did it have a reasonable length? Was the story at all coherent? If you could follow the storyline that would be an improvement over MW2. And what do you think of the online play? MW3 will probably be the next game I would consider buying.
post #7395 of 8443 Old 02-17-2012, 01:30 PM

BTW, what did you think of the single player campaign for CoDMW3? Did it have a reasonable length? Was the story at all coherent? If you could follow the storyline that would be an improvement over MW2. And what do you think of the online play? MW3 will probably be the next game I would consider buying.[/quote]

We didn;t have this console before just PS2 and WIi. My kids are young and my ow 9 year does play MW3 as he got intorduced by neighbor. Not my choice but he mastered pretty quick. He does play Campaign and think he is 65% throgh it. I like it but can't get out of the damn plane! I do know 2 maos well and my scores tend to be higher there, but I still stand around to much and the suckes won;t stop jumping and moving while I am trying to shoot them. Not very cooperative if you ask me. Maybe I should change game tag to "old guy who sucks, please stand still"!
post #7396 of 8443 Old 02-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Got my tv delivered today. Good news is it arrived in one piece. Bad news and just my luck. June 2011 build. So, now I got to read thru this thread and see what I need to do. Unless someone wants to help me out. It would be appreciated but, I need to read thru here anyway. I guess the question is. Do I need to wait it out and see if I see the FBR problem or just go ahead and call panasonic? Thanks and I can't wait to get this tv up and running. Probably gonna be a week or 2 before I can actually enjoy it. But, Im proud to have it!
post #7397 of 8443 Old 02-17-2012, 04:30 PM

See if you see fluctuating brightness , if you do call panasonic they will come and replace your a board free of charge. Thats all from what I have read on here. Your tv does have 1yr warranty so you have time. I heard it's a half hour job for them to come do it. Best of luck with your new tv
post #7398 of 8443 Old 02-17-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassedu View Post

See if you see fluctuating brightness , if you do call panasonic they will come and replace your a board free of charge. Thats all from what I have read on here. Your tv does have 1yr warranty so you have time. I heard it's a half hour job for them to come do it. Best of luck with your new tv

Thank you man!
post #7399 of 8443 Old 02-17-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Just read through tfoltz post about FBr. This should get you going.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3775
post #7400 of 8443 Old 02-17-2012, 04:58 PM

I just found these settings at TV Tweak.com...a Drop dark but pretty good:
picture mode: cinema
temp: warm 2
Aspect ratio Full HD 1

Picture
Contrast 85
Brightness 54
Tint 0
Sharpness 30

Advance
Black nr off
mosquito off
motion smoother weak
Black level: Light
3;2 Auto
24 direct: 60HZ
post #7401 of 8443 Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 PM

Okay, so I just set up my P55ST30 from Sears. I have a Dish VIP722 hooked up into a Sony receiver and then into the TV. All connections are HDMI. I was flipping through to the Suns vs. Lakers game and I noticed that the image essentially did a continuous loop from bright to dark... bright to dark. Basically, the image would be bright and then gradually get dimmer and dimmer and then it would pop back to the bright. This patter would then repeat. I would say that the whole cycle would take ~15 sec or so. I didn't notice this on any other channel.

Is this FBR or something else? Could it simply be poor satellite signal? I don't have the satellite signal run through a conditioner.

My TV is a November 2011 build.

EDIT: Just checked my PDP EEP value and it is 63.54
post #7402 of 8443 Old 02-17-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek77 View Post

Was watching more last night and it happened again during a basketball game. It was on a digital channel through my cable tv input ( no processing through a dvr box). The screen would gradually darken and then suddenly light up again. The screen even went black for a second a few times. We have watched all other channels and I have played Halo and haven't noticed it with anything else. I am hoping it's just the source. If CATS is off, would the lighting in the room have an effect?

Sounds like I just experienced the exact same thing as you. The only time I've noticed this is during basketball (actual game on ESPN and highlights on NBA channel) and to a lesser extent on the NHL channel highlights. I watched a full episode of Alcatraz recorded in HD on my Dish DVR and noticed nothing.
post #7403 of 8443 Old 02-18-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrance View Post

Okay, so I just set up my P55ST30 from Sears. I have a Dish VIP722 hooked up into a Sony receiver and then into the TV. All connections are HDMI. I was flipping through to the Suns vs. Lakers game and I noticed that the image essentially did a continuous loop from bright to dark...[/i]

CATS on?

Cb
post #7404 of 8443 Old 02-18-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacos View Post

Got my tv delivered today. Good news is it arrived in one piece. Bad news and just my luck. June 2011 build. So, now I got to read thru this thread and see what I need to do. Unless someone wants to help me out. It would be appreciated but, I need to read thru here anyway. I guess the question is. Do I need to wait it out and see if I see the FBR problem or just go ahead and call panasonic? Thanks and I can't wait to get this tv up and running. Probably gonna be a week or 2 before I can actually enjoy it. But, Im proud to have it!

Check the service menu in tfoltzs FAQ. Just because you have a June build doesn't mean your TV may not have the patch already.
post #7405 of 8443 Old 02-18-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpboy View Post

CATS on?

That's what it was for me playing Xbox 360 games, so yes turn that off.

-- Greg

post #7406 of 8443 Old 02-18-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmealio View Post

Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 64
Brightness: 70
Color: 41
Tint: +6
Sharpness: +31

I didn't want to bring the whole post over, folks can follow the link, but thank-you for these settings. I tried them out last night instead of bouncing back-and-forth in the Disney WOW options and they are pretty darn good.

-- Greg

post #7407 of 8443 Old 02-18-2012, 07:04 AM

Read Samsung Smart TV now has "HBO GO" any word if we will be getting this on the Panasonic? Noted Direct TV does support this as well. Have a Roku in my bedroom and was pissed that Direct TV would not support that device. Would love to have HBO GO. Thanks for any info
post #7408 of 8443 Old 02-18-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpman View Post

BTW, what did you think of the single player campaign for CoDMW3? Did it have a reasonable length? Was the story at all coherent? If you could follow the storyline that would be an improvement over MW2. And what do you think of the online play? MW3 will probably be the next game I would consider buying.

We didn;t have this console before just PS2 and WIi. My kids are young and my ow 9 year does play MW3 as he got intorduced by neighbor. Not my choice but he mastered pretty quick. He does play Campaign and think he is 65% throgh it. I like it but can't get out of the damn plane! I do know 2 maos well and my scores tend to be higher there, but I still stand around to much and the suckes won;t stop jumping and moving while I am trying to shoot them. Not very cooperative if you ask me. Maybe I should change game tag to "old guy who sucks, please stand still"![/quote]

No, no--you have to have a name like 'Noob Killer', or 'Ownage'--ha ha. I just play by the same name I use here so if you see it in a game you will know who just knifed you to death--lol. 'Steam', the game developer and online game retailer, has a free weekend for MW3 right now, so I downloaded the game from them overnight. I just finished an hour of online play. It is very similar to CoD4 (which I would recommend even though it is 3-4 years old) in terms of the feel of the gameplay. I played several maps, but two I liked were 'Lockdown', and especially 'Carbon'. I liked them in large part because they involve a lot of close quarters fighting in small buildings, corridors, alleyways, etc. As I am nearsighted, I have always found I do better in such environments--lots of cover helps to avoid being sniped as well. In my best round I had 6 or 7 kills to 9 deaths. Based on what I saw I will definitely buy this game for the multiplayer segment--I could tell it is a game I could hold my own in in due course. In HL2DM mentioned in my last post the jumping and strafing was a key component to staying alive in that game, and you will see a fair bit of that in CoD. Avoid standing still for any length of time unless using cover. Also learn to use melee to get kills in up close encounters--often faster than using other weapons.
Better put in a comment about the ST30 or they'll give me a warning about being off topic--I would say there was 0 input lag in MW3, and the game looked great on this set. I play almost always in 'game' mode when in multiplayer, but use 'Custom' for singleplayer sometimes with D-nice settings. Those settings looked really very good in Crysis 2, but really kill CoD games for some reason--make them look almost colorless. So I guess it depends on the game which Picture mode or settings will be best. If you enjoy the online play stick with it--you can only improve with time.
post #7409 of 8443 Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post

Check the service menu in tfoltzs FAQ. Just because you have a June build doesn't mean your TV may not have the patch already.

Thanks. I checked it and it hasn't been patched. I'm currently running slides. But, did watch alot of avatar 2d last night and didn't notice this brightness deal yet. I guess I'll wait until i do before I call. And I'm pretty straight forward on the phone so, I won't settle for a BS answer.

So far my biggest mistake is, I think I got too big of a tv for my living room. I had a 56 inch dlp and it never hurt my eyes. So far, this tv has drained my eyes. I cut the box up with a box cutter and threw it out. Don't know if amazon will take returns without the box lol. I'll probably just try and get use to it. Thanks again for the help.
post #7410 of 8443 Old 02-18-2012, 01:56 PM

Finally ordered my 46" ST30 last Sunday. They are getting scarce, found one online at Adorama for good price w/ free shipping.

Delivered Thursday by UPS...so excited, opened box and THE WHOLE SCREEN WAS CRACKED. 3 big star cracks with cracks radiating all over. Big disappointment.

Seller has filed claim w/ UPS and another is on it's way...but now I live in fear the next one will be cracked and I'll have to find one somewhere else. Closest store that has one is 100 miles away and $200 more expensive.

Say a prayer!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page