Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxST30 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 251 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2012, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassedu View Post

I guess it's true but wouldn't switching to game mode during gaming solve these problems , I like the d nice settings , I think the images don't look as sharp as say vivid and I'd like it a bit brighter but don't want to change anything and hurt the performance of another setting , can I just turn brightness and sharpness up a little ? And if so will it mess with d nice settings? Thanks

Game Mode turns off all of the extra processing by default so yes, that would fix it. Game Mode just destroys image quality though, and the input lag on the Panasonics are low enough to not even need to bother with it in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 03:03 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks grif32 I appreciate it. Mastperf so you don't recommend game mode when playing games on this set ? I used to use it on my last LCD which was a 55" toshiba and it worked great compared to other settings. What do you recommend ? I play allot of sport games on ps3 and the occasional shooter.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grif32 View Post

I love reading the break-in process thread how paranoid people get because they ran the slides for 75 hours instead of 100 hours, or they watched tv/bluray before doing the slides and are worried it's going to mess up their set.

I've got 3 more hours of slides to go. There is no way I'm gonna stop now!

Quote:

It's really sad to be honest.

Sadly, you might be right! :-\\

Quote:

Plug it in and enjoy it from day one!!

Just 3 more hours... :-)
Old 02-23-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrophenia View Post

The Costco deal on the 60" model might be too good to pass up -- how does the picture quality on these compare to a Pioneer 5080HD (eighth gen. Pioneer Kuro plasma)?

I don't have the 5080HD but I do have the Kuro Elite 950HD and you can't compare the 2. IMHO the Pioneer has a way better picture than the Panasonic, but then again I paid a lot more for that TV.

That being said I am happy with my 60" ST30 from Costco as well. I started with D-Nice settings but they were just too dim for me so for the past couple of weeks I've been constantly tweaking all the settings and I think I'm getting close to what I like. It still isn't as good as the Pioneer but it's pretty good. I'm still happy with the purchase, especially considering how much it costs.

I wish Pioneer still made those TV's, I would have paid more to get another one of those, but I wasn't willing to hit the used market.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Should the 24p be set at 48hz or 60hz for Blu-ray????
Old 02-24-2012, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnummela View Post

I've got 3 more hours of slides to go. There is no way I'm gonna stop now!

Sadly, you might be right! :-\\

Just 3 more hours... :-)

LOL, so close!! Enjoy your set when you are done.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassedu View Post

Thanks grif32 I appreciate it. Mastperf so you don't recommend game mode when playing games on this set ? I used to use it on my last LCD which was a 55" toshiba and it worked great compared to other settings. What do you recommend ? I play allot of sport games on ps3 and the occasional shooter.

I just use my regular settings I use to watch Blu-Ray or Directv and no lag and the pic on some games like Uncharted 3 look like you are watching a movie..

It's a beautiful set. I tried game mode but hated it.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grif32 View Post

Not needed and I think people are going a little crazy about doing it. Own 4 Panny Plasma's and never done the break in thing. I have gamed on them since day one without issue. My G10 had slight IR but it went right away but the others including my 60ST30 had never had an issue and we game like crazy on it. Well my wife does anyway .

Honestly, I think the whole break in process gives Plasma a bad name. Because now all I hear is " I didn't buy a Plasma because I have heard you have to break them in" or "You have to baby a Plasma and you don't with an LCD/LED"

I love reading the break-in process thread how paranoid people get because they ran the slides for 75 hours instead of 100 hours, or they watched tv/bluray before doing the slides and are worried it's going to mess up their set.

It's really sad to be honest.

Plug it in and enjoy it from day one!!

That's good to hear, thanks for replying.

Xbox LIVE gamertag: red71rum
Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 AM

i cant get my st30 to connect to my wireless router..everything is setup and when i try to get it to connect,it fails
Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1python1 View Post

i cant get my st30 to connect to my wireless router..everything is setup and when i try to get it to connect,it fails

Make sure you're using the right case when entering your wireless password. The default on the TV is all-caps.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 AM

thanks i just hit the wps button instead of using the other connect option
Old 02-24-2012, 10:50 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1python1 View Post

thanks i just hit the wps button instead of using the other connect option

Do you have anything connected to the wifi, cellphone? On my Verizon DSL I had to active the WiFi on the router, best to use a laptop so you can see what you are doing. Enter in the http://192.168. et al.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 PM

On my way to Costco tomorrow morning with a good friend to pick up my 60ST30. I called right before closing today and they had three left in stock, two boxed and one display unit. Looks like I will have two to choose from. I hope one of them is a Aug. (XX1215XXXX) or later build. If not I'm not going to worry about it. I would have ordered online if the price was cheaper but you can't touch one online for 1199.00. Second year warranty free and three year Squaretrade warranty for 99.00 (5 year total). I have to pay tax but it is worth it to me to have a 90 day return policy. One hour twenty minute drive and I'm there. Thanks to everyone here that helped me decide on this model.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar#43 View Post

Do you have anything connected to the wifi, cellphone? On my Verizon DSL I had to active the WiFi on the router, best to use a laptop so you can see what you are doing. Enter in the http://192.168. et al.

i have my laptop and my st30...and i bought this router
http://www.netgear.com/home/products.../WNDR3700.aspx

i watched some you tube videos so far and this router is awesome
Old 02-25-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC60 View Post

On my way to Costco tomorrow morning with a good friend to pick up my 60ST30. I called right before closing today and they had three left in stock, two boxed and one display unit. Looks like I will have two to choose from. I hope one of them is a Aug. (XX1215XXXX) or later build. If not I'm not going to worry about it. I would have ordered online if the price was cheaper but you can't touch one online for 1199.00. Second year warranty free and three year Squaretrade warranty for 99.00 (5 year total). I have to pay tax but it is worth it to me to have a 90 day return policy. One hour twenty minute drive and I'm there. Thanks to everyone here that helped me decide on this model.

Back home with my 60ST30. Everything went well from start of pickup to finish. Picked the ST up at the Toledo, OH store. Both boxed units had serial no. (XX1307XXXX). If anyone is in this part of the state and wants this model of tv, it is a late date build. So you are set there. One left in box. It wasn't worth it to me to wait for a 2012 ST50 and have to pay at least 800.00 or more for it.
LL
LL
LL
LL
Old 02-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

Back home with my 60ST30. Everything went well from start of pickup to finish.

Congrats! Hope you enjoy the set: at its best - Blu-ray or HDDVDs - the 60" ST30 shows a Wonderful picture.

If you are stepping up from a smaller sized panel, and/or sit close enough to the screen (say around 9ft or less...), don't be SHOCKED if you find that a panel this large tends to Show Off ALL of the Inherent Flaws in whatever less-than-ideal program material you view!

Seriously thinking about moving all of our SD DVDs from the (basement) "home theater" to the LR, as our older 50" Pan plasma does a nicer job of Masking their PQ issues. (Our experience is that it takes about a 12 foot viewing distance with the 60" to roughly equal the Apparent PQ at 9 feet with the 50" - GIVEN SD Material....)

We've had 3 60" ST30s in house (plus 1 60" S30 - technically 2, but one had a cracked screen...), and ALL have been bothered by the Green / Pink (Magenta) tinting that characterizes 2011 Pan Plasma sets.

Our current set is a Nov Build 60" ST30, also from CostCo, and while it DOES have both Unwanted Green & Pink, it is still easily the Best of the panels thus far: with MOST programming, MOST viewers probably would not notice the issue, or would assume it is simply part of the material as opposed to a panel flaw. (Unlike the earlier panels, the Green on this one SELDOM tints Faces, instead showing up in background objects, where it is easier to ignore.)

Still, would recommend trying to rack up as many hours on the panel as you reasonably can before your 90-day return policy ends: although Green TENDS to get Better as the panel ages (at least up to 600 - 700 hours - the limit of our experience), you may find that the Pink/Magenta will grow worse over that same time period.

Also, other than Green / Pink issues, all of our panels have seemed to IMPROVE in overall PQ over the course of the first couple of hundred hours of usage or so. We kept the first panel the longest - around 700 hours - and it had noticeably Deeper Blacks and APPARENTLY more "pop" when we sent it back than any of the other panels have had. (IF you look at "letterbox bars" and find them disappointingly "gray" - instead of black - give the panel a while before getting too upset!)

And, while it is probably just common sense, we have also noticed that certain letterboxed material produces "Blacker" bars than other sources: TV - even "HD TV" - tends to be the worse, while MOST (but Not All) Blu-rays tend to be the best...

After 150 -200 hours or so, watch the blu-ray versions of "Dark Knight," the "Star Trek" reboot, "Iron Man 2," or the "LOTR Extended Version" - these should look Pretty Good NOW, but once the panel settles in they ought to look Great!

Best of Luck with your new panel!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:39 PM

I posted earlier but no replie....just want to find out about any similar situations.

My 1st 46ST30 arrived w/ cracked screen. Returned and 2nd set has 3-inch vertical black bar on right side of screen (top to bottom). Panny concierge is sending tech Monday.

Does anyone know if this is simple fix (relatively speaking) or worse?

Thanks for responding.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:43 PM

Hey all,

Just got the 55inch vst November 2011 Build. Seems to be experiencing some brightness fluctuations though. Whats a good recommendation for calibration settings. I'm reviewing this pdf from the first page but I a AV noob for the most part. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Firmware updated.
Noticing it the worst on college basketball currently

Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Turn C.A.T.S. off.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

Turn C.A.T.S. off.

OK done.

Im just playing my XBMC (xbox media center) visualizer with music playing on standard mode. Is this a good move as far as break in?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Congrats! Hope you enjoy the set: at its best - Blu-ray or HDDVDs - the 60" ST30 shows a Wonderful picture.

If you are stepping up from a smaller sized panel, and/or sit close enough to the screen (say around 9ft or less...), don't be SHOCKED if you find that a panel this large tends to Show Off ALL of the Inherent Flaws in whatever less-than-ideal program material you view!

Seriously thinking about moving all of our SD DVDs from the (basement) "home theater" to the LR, as our older 50" Pan plasma does a nicer job of Masking their PQ issues. (Our experience is that it takes about a 12 foot viewing distance with the 60" to roughly equal the Apparent PQ at 9 feet with the 50" - GIVEN SD Material....)

We've had 3 60" ST30s in house (plus 1 60" S30 - technically 2, but one had a cracked screen...), and ALL have been bothered by the Green / Pink (Magenta) tinting that characterizes 2011 Pan Plasma sets.

Our current set is a Nov Build 60" ST30, also from CostCo, and while it DOES have both Unwanted Green & Pink, it is still easily the Best of the panels thus far: with MOST programming, MOST viewers probably would not notice the issue, or would assume it is simply part of the material as opposed to a panel flaw. (Unlike the earlier panels, the Green on this one SELDOM tints Faces, instead showing up in background objects, where it is easier to ignore.)

Still, would recommend trying to rack up as many hours on the panel as you reasonably can before your 90-day return policy ends: although Green TENDS to get Better as the panel ages (at least up to 600 - 700 hours - the limit of our experience), you may find that the Pink/Magenta will grow worse over that same time period.

Also, other than Green / Pink issues, all of our panels have seemed to IMPROVE in overall PQ over the course of the first couple of hundred hours of usage or so. We kept the first panel the longest - around 700 hours - and it had noticeably Deeper Blacks and APPARENTLY more "pop" when we sent it back than any of the other panels have had. (IF you look at "letterbox bars" and find them disappointingly "gray" - instead of black - give the panel a while before getting too upset!)

And, while it is probably just common sense, we have also noticed that certain letterboxed material produces "Blacker" bars than other sources: TV - even "HD TV" - tends to be the worse, while MOST (but Not All) Blu-rays tend to be the best...

After 150 -200 hours or so, watch the blu-ray versions of "Dark Knight," the "Star Trek" reboot, "Iron Man 2," or the "LOTR Extended Version" - these should look Pretty Good NOW, but once the panel settles in they ought to look Great!

Best of Luck with your new panel!

Thanks for the reply Dierkdr. All seats are between 9.5 and 12 feet from the set. Yea I have read about your and so many others problems with the color (green,pink) on the ST sets. I know it is kind of a crap shoot with these sets. That is why the 90 day return really helped me make my choice on this set easy. I will have a while to decide if I want to keep it or get a ST50 if need be. I hope that is not needed but it is good to know that I have the time to change my mind if need be. I didn't want to waste the money so I bought the ST30, but I will spend the extra to get a ST50 if that needs to be done.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

That is why the 90 day return really helped me make my choice on this set easy. I will have a while to decide if I want to keep it or get a ST50 if need be. I hope that is not needed but it is good to know that I have the time to change my mind if need be. I didn't want to waste the money so I bought the ST30, but I will spend the extra to get a ST50 if that needs to be done.

Echoes my thoughts almost to a "T" - with perhaps one quibble: if this latest (and LAST) ST30 does go back, will not be buying a ST50 until they have been out long enough to have established a Blemish Free reputation.

If, indeed, the 2012 panels are able to do so...

Perhaps time to reconsider LG!

Although, again, At Its Best, the 60" ST30 provides a wonderful picture: hard to imagine any other sub-$1200 2011 panel beating it for overall PQ!
(Green & Pink aside, of course!)
Old 02-25-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:

Echoes my thoughts almost to a "T" - with perhaps one quibble: if this latest (and LAST) ST30 does go back, will not be buying a ST50 until they have been out long enough to have established a Blemish Free reputation.

Although, again, At Its Best, the 60" ST30 provides a wonderful picture: hard to imagine any other sub-$1200 2011 panel beating it for overall PQ!

I hear what you are saying. I to would wait and see or jump at something else. To tell you the truth, I wanted a Mits. DLP since last summer. They to have had thier problems on the 2011 sets. Last summer the price difference between the two was much greater then it is now. So I spent alot of time in the Plasma and Rear Projection forums. So that would be another thought down the road as well for me when the 2012s come out. But really it shouldn't be this hard.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:

I'm in the same boat as you are, still deciding whether to keep my 65ST30 since I bought from Amazon and nearing my return period. Not able to decide if I need to wait for ST50 or stay with ST30, other than the standard def channels everything looks great, especially Bluray and HD DVD.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram48335 View Post

I'm in the same boat as you are, still deciding whether to keep my 65ST30 since I bought from Amazon and nearing my return period. Not able to decide if I need to wait for ST50 or stay with ST30, other than the standard def channels everything looks great, especially Bluray and HD DVD.

If everything looks great (no green/pinks) I am sure going to hang onto mine. I'm moving from a SD set (640x480) CRT 35" so this set should wow me with hi-def stuff.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Done with my break in. D-nice settings look awesome. Monsters inc looked unbelievable.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

Done with my break in. D-nice settings look awesome. Monsters inc looked unbelievable.

Congrats, I hope you feel like this. That is good to hear. Still waiting on my tv stand to get here and I will start my break in period.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC60 View Post

Congrats, I hope you feel like this. That is good to hear. Still waiting on my tv stand to get here and I will start my break in period.

Plug that bad boy in and get it started. You could have most of the Break In done.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

I love this Tv. No Pinks No Green Blobs. No brightness fluctuations. AWESOME tv. I can't believe I got this for this price, especially when I paid over $2300 almost 5yrs ago for my Toshiba 52" LCD(Regza cinema series). You gotta love how you keep getting more for less money.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:46 AM

Without me having to read 7500 posts, can someone briefly explain the Green/Pink issue?

TV is set to cinema. November 2011 build date.

I have run my 60ST for just under 100hrs straight (zoom to HD channel, no letterbox) and I just now put a channel running I Love Lucy which is obviously a Black & White broadcast. The entire picture has a greenish tint to it and once in a while I notice little green flashes. My Panasonic LCD in the kitchen shows none of that and is clear and bright.

Is that what people are talking about, and if so, how do I go about getting it fixed?

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv