Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxST30 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 252 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7531 of 8454 Old 02-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I have run my 60ST for just under 100hrs straight.... and I just now put a channel running I Love Lucy which is obviously a Black & White broadcast. The entire picture has a greenish tint to it and once in a while I notice little green flashes. My Panasonic LCD ... shows none of that ....

Is that what people are talking about, and if so, how do I go about getting it fixed?

Always assuming that you do not have the TINT control jacked out of shape, it certainly sounds like the panel has the Green Tint Glitch.

Of course, you DO understand that your panel is Working Within Specs; the Green Tint is only YOUR Imagination; You are being Overly Picky; and, gee, after all, Who Actually Watches Black & White Programming any more?!?

There is no fix. You can return the set & try another panel. The new one will also have Green &/or Pink (Magenta) Tints, BUT perhaps not as badly. (Our latest panel, a Nov Build ST30, shows both flaws, but is the best of the 4 Working 60" panels we've actually had at home.)

At last count we were up to something like 21-out-of-21 2011 Pan Plasmas Tested, with ALL of them exhibiting the problem to one extent or another.

Unless you are approaching the end of your Return Period, 100 hours may be too soon to give up entirely on your current set: you may find that the green will diminish in visibility as the panel ages over the first several hundred hours.

You can also Lessen The Visibility of the Green by playing around with the picture settings. Alas, CINEMA gives by far the BEST overall PQ on these sets, but moving to Custom opens up additional controls - panel brightness, 2 point color balance controls, gamma controls - that can help mask the Green tinting, albeit at the cost of other PQ factors. (However, if you pick up Pink you are stuck, as "fixing" one tends to "Enhance" the other.)

A good Professional Calibration also seems to help hide the Tinting.

The 60" panels also seem prone to Pink/Magenta tinting, and THAT problem is more likely (then the Green Tinting) to become MORE visible as the panel ages. We kept our first set in house for around 700 hours, and finally sent it back due to the Pink Problem: Green was still visible during some programming, but we probably would have lived with it in the absence of the Pink/Magenta. On that panel, the Pink started out as Barely Visible "highlighting" at the extreme R edge of the panel - but then grew dramatically as we aged the panel....

The Green Tint Glitch was initially reported as "Green Blobs" - and suspect from your description that your panel has one or more actual "Blobs" as these often show up as "Flashes" of green during B&W (AND OTHER!) programming.

The BLOB is merely a More Intense Area of the Green Tint, and, as such, is more readily visible. On the "best" panels, the green tint assumes a more uniform appearance, which makes it harder to spot in Bright / High Color scenes. Perhaps because of the blobbing effect - or simply slight variations at the Gray Level within which the Green Tint is most obvious - some panels show significant Green Tinting on FACES, given a Slightly Dim Scene (and/or a somewhat darker complexion, or beard stubble).

Our first 3 60" Panels showed significant Facial Discoloration, and, of course, this Highlights the problem: Almost everyone knows that Faces should NOT be Green! Our current panel apparently pushes the green to a lower point in the gray scale, and faces SELDOM look "Green" - makes the problem much easier to Live With.

Spouse thinks this set looks "fine"; I will wait at least another 30 days before deciding (we still have over 60 days before the end of our Return Period....).

Age your panel as quickly as you can, before the return period expires, and make your decision at that point. Have found that saving selected scenes to our DVR, and then photographing them (using same panel & camera settings) is the easiest way to track progress over time, as well as from panel to panel...

Best of Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7532 of 8454 Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC60 View Post

Congrats, I hope you feel like this. That is good to hear. Still waiting on my tv stand to get here and I will start my break in period.

I did most of my break in sitting in the bottom of the shipping box. Just made sure the plastic was pulled down enough to clear all the vents. I didn't have anyone to help me until later to hang it on the wall.
post #7533 of 8454 Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Always assuming that you do not have the TINT control jacked out of shape, it certainly sounds like the panel has the Green Tint Glitch.

Have not touched any of the colors at all, yet.

Quote:

Unless you are approaching the end of your Return Period, 100 hours may be too soon to give up entirely on your current set: you may find that the green will diminish in visibility as the panel ages over the first several hundred hours

Just delivered the other day. Took 3 weeks for Costco to get it from Atlanta to TN. But that's another story.

Quote:

You can also Lessen The Visibility of the Green by playing around with the picture settings. Alas, CINEMA gives by far the BEST overall PQ on these sets, but moving to Custom opens up additional controls - panel brightness, 2 point color balance controls, gamma controls -

A good Professional Calibration also seems to help hide the Tinting.

I will be trying D-Nice' settings which is why I burned it in for several days straight. As for the pro calibration, I am a minimum of 1hr away from anything resembling a real town, so that's pretty much a no go.

Quote:

On the "best" panels, the green tint assumes a more uniform appearance, which makes it harder to spot in Bright / High Color scenes. Perhaps because of the blobbing effect - or simply slight variations at the Gray Level within which the Green Tint is most obvious - some panels show significant Green Tinting on FACES, given a Slightly Dim Scene (and/or a somewhat darker complexion, or beard stubble).

The greenish tint is throughout the whole picture. It just seems to make the black & white a little "off" looking.

Quote:

Age your panel as quickly as you can, before the return period expires, and make your decision at that point.

Costco has the 90 day return policy, but the problem with that is that no 2011 tv's at great deal prices will be left.

Thanks for all the info.
post #7534 of 8454 Old 02-26-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwhite View Post

Costco has the 90 day return policy, but the problem with that is that no 2011 tv's at great deal prices will be left.

Thanks for all the info.

Like the rest of us that bought at the end of the 2011 production run. If and when, we are not happy with our sets. We will be moving on to something else other then a ST30 model. Which means more $$$
post #7535 of 8454 Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

Plug that bad boy in and get it started. You could have most of the Break In done.

Thanks for the push kwaidonjin. I am starting Break In today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey P View Post

I did most of my break in sitting in the bottom of the shipping box. Just made sure the plastic was pulled down enough to clear all the vents. I didn't have anyone to help me until later to hang it on the wall.

Thanks, that's what I will do as well Carey P.
post #7536 of 8454 Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 PM

Do these sets have the ability to custom name inputs ?
HDMI1 = XBox360
HDMI2- Blu Ray etc ?

Looked online at the manual and didnt see it.

I have two xboxes and an HDMI switch would help cut down on potential confusion.
post #7537 of 8454 Old 02-26-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGOFOOTBALL33 View Post

Do these sets have the ability to custom name inputs ?
HDMI1 = XBox360
HDMI2- Blu Ray etc ?

Looked online at the manual and didnt see it.

I have two xboxes and an HDMI switch would help cut down on potential confusion.

Click menu,setup,input labels.
Old Mike
post #7538 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Played MW3 for about an hour and a half last night, all free for all. Did not see one sign of IR, I did turn the Contrast down to about 65 though in game mode.
post #7539 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM

I have reviewed this entire thread and done a number of searches but wanted to connfirm something. The GT and VT fbr issues can be corrected via a 2.1 patch, which is downloaded from Panasonic's website and installed via a SD card. Am I correct that the ST line does not have a similar fix and that the only way the fbr issue can be corrected is via a Panasonic A board swap?

Thanks
post #7540 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
^The information is in my signature. The information you stated is not correct.
post #7541 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM

^^^^^^

Yes, I have read the info in your post many times. I see one must call Panasonic. Is there a way to download the patch myself to a SD like with the GT or VT patch? If it is in your info I am sorry -- I am just missing it as I read and reread the info several times. Any help you can provide would be apreciated.
post #7542 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 02:01 PM

New to this forum (so new that I actually posted this on the VT thread), a BIG thank you to all of you who post this awesome information. I have searched this forum and read through MOST of the posts to this thread. So, I apologize in advance if someone has already posted on the topic I have a question about.

I waited and finally pulled the trigger on the Panny 55ST30, I own 2 other Panasonic Plasmas, so I was confident in the decision, but wanted to wait it out until the FB issue was resolved. Fast forward 9 months to last week and unboxed this wonderful display.

Nov 2011 build, but SN is xx1205xx

I notice, really only when watching sports (basketball and hockey) the screen flicker, as if someone in the room with me just took a picture with the flash on....at this very same time, the screen brightness changes (lighter or brighter mainly, occasionally darker) Would this be part of the FB issue?

I read the link on tfoltz's signature and he talks about viewing basketball and hockey games, so before I call to begin a claim...would someone be able to chime in on my issue if I have accurately described it??? Its pretty annoying, but really only visible when viewing sports (which is my main viewing content) I hate to get all worked up if this is a normal issue, and if so, is there a way to lessen the 'noticeability' of it?

I recorded the same content on all 3 of my plasmas, yet only notice the flicker / flash on the ST30?

thanks guys!
post #7543 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpapant View Post

^^^^^^

Yes, I have read the info in your post many times. I see one must call Panasonic. Is there a way to download the patch myself to a SD like with the GT or VT patch? If it is in your info I am sorry -- I am just missing it as I read and reread the info several times. Any help you can provide would be apreciated.

There is no downloadable FBr patch for GT or VT, which is why it is not discussed in my signature. You want something that doesn't exist.
post #7544 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 02:10 PM

^^^

I was able to download and correcct fbr on my 65GT30 -- to an SD card and a link to Panasonic's site. I cannot find a similar link for a ST fix. I will locate the link and include it so you can see.

EDIT: Follow this link and go to post 243 -- it contains the download for correcting GT and VT fbr issues. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1340522&page=9
post #7545 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

post #7546 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 02:24 PM

^^

Cut and paste this link and you will see the GT and VT series covered -- and dozens of posts in the GT owners thread on correcting fbr via the downloadable patch and an SD card.

I was just curious why a similar fix is not available for the ST line.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c.../down_pro.html
post #7547 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

The FBr patch, which is not downloadable, is different than the 2.1 color luminance downloadable patch for the GT30 and VT30. That patch does not exist for the ST30, and again has nothing to do with FBr.

Edit: You can go into the GT30 thread right now and see people discussing it. Zero owners have patched FBr via downloadable firmware.
post #7548 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11underpar View Post

New to this forum (so new that I actually posted this on the VT thread), a BIG thank you to all of you who post this awesome information. I have searched this forum and read through MOST of the posts to this thread. So, I apologize in advance if someone has already posted on the topic I have a question about.

I waited and finally pulled the trigger on the Panny 55ST30, I own 2 other Panasonic Plasmas, so I was confident in the decision, but wanted to wait it out until the FB issue was resolved. Fast forward 9 months to last week and unboxed this wonderful display.

Nov 2011 build, but SN is xx1205xx

I notice, really only when watching sports (basketball and hockey) the screen flicker, as if someone in the room with me just took a picture with the flash on....at this very same time, the screen brightness changes (lighter or brighter mainly, occasionally darker) Would this be part of the FB issue?

I read the link on tfoltz's signature and he talks about viewing basketball and hockey games, so before I call to begin a claim...would someone be able to chime in on my issue if I have accurately described it??? Its pretty annoying, but really only visible when viewing sports (which is my main viewing content) I hate to get all worked up if this is a normal issue, and if so, is there a way to lessen the 'noticeability' of it?

I recorded the same content on all 3 of my plasmas, yet only notice the flicker / flash on the ST30?

thanks guys!

Assuming you are using Cinema or Custom picture settings with CATS off, it's source related and has nothing to do with your TV. Standard setting and/or CATS introduces fluctuations. All of my TVs show this on basketball and hockey, the ST30 being most noticeable because it is the largest TV I own.

General rule: If you don't notice a problem while watching high quality content (blu-ray), then any issues you see when not watching blu-ray are due to the content you are watching.
post #7549 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

Assuming you are using Cinema or Custom picture settings with CATS off, it's source related and has nothing to do with your TV. Standard setting and/or CATS introduces fluctuations. All of my TVs show this on basketball and hockey, the ST30 being most noticeable because it is the largest TV I own.

General rule: If you don't notice a problem while watching high quality content (blu-ray), then any issues you see when not watching blu-ray are due to the content you are watching.

Thank you, I was hoping you would shoot a response my way.

Yes, Standard mode (out of the box settings) the flicker or flash is the MOST noticeable, followed by the brightness on the screen increasing (brighter)...but sometimes goes darker. Cinema and Custom show less flicker / flash and CATS is off on all 3 modes I've tested. Can't seem to find any flicker or fbr on other content (bluray, DVD, etc) or even Dish programming (aside from bball and hockey games)

I read through hundreds (literally) of posts on here and that was one of the first things I changed. I didn't want to ask a question that was already asked 100 times over, since I am sure you all get sick of that (can't tell you how many times your signature was referenced...I didnt want to be that guy)

I was afraid with the older Serial number 1205 and not the 1213 or higher, that mine MIGHT be experiencing the very same thing I waited 9 months to avoid.
post #7550 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Guess I was lucky that I bought my ST30 in March 2011 and never experienced the flickering/brightness issue that alot did and I've seen videos of it on Youtube so I know what it looks like.
post #7551 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

The FBr patch, which is not downloadable, is different than the 2.1 color luminance downloadable patch for the GT30 and VT30. That patch does not exist for the ST30, and again has nothing to do with FBr.

Edit: You can go into the GT30 thread right now and see people discussing it. Zero owners have patched FBr via downloadable firmware.

Ok - that is helpful - I thought the luminance and fbr issues were the same. Now I understand. Thanks
post #7552 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM

Update....Tech out today to look at SECOND 46" ST30 I received from Adorama Camera that is defective (1st had cracked screen). After checking w/ Panny, tech determined this one has a bad panel. Panny offered new set but then called 2 hrs later to say they are out of 46" models and would issue refund instead.

I'm DONE with ordering these online so I checked with only store within 100 miles that showed in stock on 46" model. Store had one left, they are holding it til Wednesday. So I'll be trekking 88 miles one way to get it. Hopefully, this one will be ok.

Very frustrating!!!!!
post #7553 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 PM

Grabbing one of these tomorrow I think

Ideally
Breakin or no breakin necessary?

What readily observable on Box should I look for to determine
I'm getting the non problematic model?

Any other thoughts suggestions?
Ps where is a link to D nice content?

Thanks much
post #7554 of 8454 Old 02-27-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagecounsel View Post

Ideally
Breakin or no breakin necessary?

Some do Some don't

Quote:

What readily observable on Box should I look for to determine
I'm getting the non problematic model?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3775

Quote:

Ps where is a link to D nice content?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1371710
post #7555 of 8454 Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 AM

Two Important questions please help me out - 1- do the screens of these sets look kind of gray when powered off , asking bc my LCD did not and when a friend or two came by and noticed this aswell when the tv was completely off , no big deal just making sure this is how they are.

2- say you have two 1.4 Hdmi cable one being a cheaper brand and one being a monster brand rated better , would you rather use the better cable to go from your 3d bluray player (for me it's ps3) or would you rather use the better cable to go from your cable box to tv? , just trying to decide if I should use the better of the two on cable box or ps3

Thankyou
post #7556 of 8454 Old 02-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassedu View Post

Two Important questions please help me out - 1- do the screens of these sets look kind of gray when powered off , asking bc my LCD did not and when a friend or two came by and noticed this aswell when the tv was completely off , no big deal just making sure this is how they are.

2- say you have two 1.4 Hdmi cable one being a cheaper brand and one being a monster brand rated better , would you rather use the better cable to go from your 3d bluray player (for me it's ps3) or would you rather use the better cable to go from your cable box to tv? , just trying to decide if I should use the better of the two on cable box or ps3

Thankyou

The screen is black when off. I would stay away from monster cables and go with Monoprice, a lot cheaper. If you already have the cables, I would use the more expensive on the PS3 because that is where you will get the best picture quality.
post #7557 of 8454 Old 02-28-2012, 12:15 PM

Ok expensive cable on the ps3 it is , I usually buy the cheap 1.4 cables off eBay or amazon they have all worked great, I bid on monster highest best Hdmi 1.4 cable on eBay just for giggles , the cable goes for over $100 new I ended up winning it at $30 new so I figured why not have one in my lifetime- Ty , now when the screen is off completely it has a sort of gray tint to it , everything looks fine when viewing anything though after I turn it on. Anybody else confirm there screen looks a little gray when off ? Should I be worried about this ?
post #7558 of 8454 Old 02-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok expensive cable on the ps3 it is , I usually buy the cheap 1.4 cables off eBay or amazon they have all worked great, I bid on monster highest best Hdmi 1.4 cable on eBay just for giggles , the cable goes for over $100 new I ended up winning it at $30 new so I figured why not have one in my lifetime- Ty , now when the screen is off completely it has a sort of gray tint to it , everything looks fine when viewing anything though after I turn it on. Anybody else confirm there screen looks a little gray when off ? Should I be worried about this ?

What size is yours?
post #7559 of 8454 Old 02-28-2012, 01:13 PM

Anyone know where to find the 55 or 60" ST30s anymore for a decent price. Everyplace I go is sold out or they jack the price up.

Also I read that March is when they come out with the new models, anyone know of any great deals coming up? Please email me at sacamore@aol.com. Thanks.
post #7560 of 8454 Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

The screen is black when off. I would stay away from monster cables and go with Monoprice, a lot cheaper. If you already have the cables, I would use the more expensive on the PS3 because that is where you will get the best picture quality.

Quote:

I thought that a digital signal is a digital signal, hence paying for a more expensive cable made no sense? All my cables are from Monoprice and used them with my old Sammy 4695D lcd. I was just going to use one of those with my new P60ST30(connected to my Onkyo 608 and Sony S570). I know that none of my HDMI cables are 1.4 spec.

Xbox LIVE gamertag: red71rum
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60st30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page