Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxST30 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 268 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8011 of 8443 Old 04-13-2012, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Considering buying this TV for gaming. Anyone have any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 8443 Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post

found it but manual doesnt say much other than how to turn it on. do i just run the scroll bar for a few minutes?

It runs for 15 minutes I believe.

Xbox LIVE gamertag: red71rum
post #8013 of 8443 Old 04-16-2012, 08:08 PM

Had this 55ST30 for 3 months now, and it just started buzzing for the first 5 minutes of viewing, then stops buzzing. Very audible, even over stereo content, anyone else have this issue?
post #8014 of 8443 Old 04-16-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslieb1 View Post

Considering buying this TV for gaming. Anyone have any input?

I bought this TV (42") with HD gaming in mind as one of the main functions, and have not been disappointed. I did an intense break-in with slides, calibrated as per dnice's settings, and it is awesome for XB360 and PS3 via HDMI.

I notice lag on other devices in general more than any of my gamer friends, though possibly not as much as some very perceptive players, and when properly set up, I notice no lag at all on my 42ST30. I've actually even tried hooking up PS2, Sega Genesis, etc, and though they look unimpressive after deinterlacing and scaling, I still don't think I notice any input lag.

I'm also a CRT fan, and have no regrets after buying this unit, other than (not quite a regret) I wish I had gone larger, but the 42" is still a good fit for my tiny living room. The ways in which it is inferior to a CRT (few) are far outweighed by the ways in which it is similar/better. I've actually convinced a gamer friend of mine to get the same model I bought, but we're finding it difficult to get one now through an online seller that we know we can trust. Anyway, if your gaming is going to be HD consoles or pc with 1080p via HDMI, I think you'll be very happy with this model.
post #8015 of 8443 Old 04-17-2012, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtercavendish View Post

Had this 55ST30 for 3 months now, and it just started buzzing for the first 5 minutes of viewing, then stops buzzing. Very audible, even over stereo content, anyone else have this issue?

I have had my 55st30 for a year now and it started doing this about a month ago. Doesn't do it every time and it always quits after a few minutes. It is very loud, audible over the stereo.
post #8016 of 8443 Old 04-17-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBart View Post

I have had my 55st30 for a year now and it started doing this about a month ago. Doesn't do it every time and it always quits after a few minutes. It is very loud, audible over the stereo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtercavendish View Post

Mine started buzzing loudly after about four months, but it never quit. I contacted Panasonic who said some buzzing was normal but I argued there was zero noise up to that point. The service guy replaced a board and now there is zero buzzing again.

XBL GT: Big Bucket
post #8017 of 8443 Old 04-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
dumb question of the day, but movies that show the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen - is this potential for for image retention? should i be using the zoom format or is it safe to watch in full mode?

thanks.
post #8018 of 8443 Old 04-17-2012, 06:19 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post

dumb question of the day, but movies that show the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen - is this potential for for image retention? should i be using the zoom format or is it safe to watch in full mode?

thanks.

You should avoid the bars for the first 250 hours. After that I wouldn't worry about it.
post #8019 of 8443 Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 PM

I've had my st30 for about 4 months now & I think I have burn in.

I was getting slightly frustrated when using my PC browser because when the pixel orbiting happens the text goes fuzzy then back to clear so I did the one thing I shouldn't have. I went in & disabled orbiting. I know it was stupid but I thought eh, I'll turn it back on later. A few days of web browsing & clear text & I now have a browser horizontal line near the top of the screen & one near the bottom with a few task bar icons for good measure. They are noticable on a white or light colored screen & they look kind of greenish. This bugs me worse than the orbiting.
I've played some video games & ran some full screen stuff for a few nights while I slept but it's still there. It's not quite as bad as it was. I have enabled orbiter.

My question is...
What are some things I can do to fix this if it's possible to fix?

I'm currently running the Dnice break in slides & settings just to see if that works.
You think a hundred hours would go toward diminishing the burn in?

Needless to say I have learned my lesson about leaving the orbiting enabled.
post #8020 of 8443 Old 04-20-2012, 02:27 PM

Liked: 14
Well, i got the dreaded 7 flashes of death last week. Set is in the shop, and they replaced several things before figuring out that the panel is bad. The guy said its on backorder and that the supplier doesn't even know when/if it won't be anymore.

The guy said something like that Panasonic would replace the TV if it takes longer than 30 days to fix. Does anyone know anything about this?

HTPC: I3 2100, Radeon 6950.
post #8021 of 8443 Old 04-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have this weird issue when I have Pixel Orbiter enable on my "60. There is this white/grayish 1/2 inch vertical lines that goes down the edge of my screen. The line will move eventually across on the other side of the screen. Its very noticeable when I am watching a movie with black bars (2.35 1 aspect ratio). Thought it was my Pioneer Receiver. I then plugged the devices straight to the hdmi input and the line shows up again. I was able to call Panasonic for service.

Last night I turned off Pixel Orbiter and guess what the line does not show up anymore. The weird thing is that I never noticed this line until 1 month ago. I had my "60 since Oct. From day one, I had Orbiter enable. Should this be happening when Orbiter is enable? I am scare of turning off Orbiter (IR)
post #8022 of 8443 Old 04-20-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post

I have this weird issue when I have Pixel Orbiter enable on my "60. There is this white/grayish 1/2 inch vertical lines that goes down the edge of my screen. The line will move eventually across on the other side of the screen. Its very noticeable when I am watching a movie with black bars (2.35 1 aspect ratio). Thought it was my Pioneer Receiver. I then plugged the devices straight to the hdmi input and the line shows up again. I was able to call Panasonic for service.

Last night I turned off Pixel Orbiter and guess what the line does not show up anymore. The weird thing is that I never noticed this line until 1 month ago. I had my "60 since Oct. From day one, I had Orbiter enable. Should this be happening when Orbiter is enable? I am scare of turning off Orbiter (IR)

it happens if you have black extension on, and the brightness turned up. The BE doesn't apply to the pixel orbiter border, so the brightness setting applies to it as it would the screen without BE on.

post #8023 of 8443 Old 04-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post

it happens if you have black extension on, and the brightness turned up. The BE doesn't apply to the pixel orbiter border, so the brightness setting applies to it as it would the screen without BE on.

Thanks. You know what this all started when I was messing with the picture setting. My brightness was cranked up (from 50 to 77) As far as the black extension it was always on but right now its set to 5. I will drop the BE and brightness down. Thanks
post #8024 of 8443 Old 04-21-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks. You know what this all started when I was messing with the picture setting. My brightness was cranked up (from 50 to 77) As far as the black extension it was always on but right now its set to 5. I will drop the BE and brightness down. Thanks

Many of us are using +4 and 71 and don't see the effect you describe. Let us know what you find. I hope that is what it is and not some other problem.
post #8025 of 8443 Old 04-21-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

Many of us are using +4 and 71 and don't see the effect you describe. Let us know what you find. I hope that is what it is and not some other problem.

It does it on mine for sure. Though if you watch a lot of 16:9 content you probably wouldn't ever notice it. The only time i notice it is when I'm watching a movie, and the orbiter shifts up/down to where the border is on the top or bottom edge of the letterbox bars. I just turn off the orbiter when I'm watching movies.

On my set at least, it's clear that the problem has to do with the BE not applying to the orbiter border. When you turn the brightness back down into the 50's like you would without BE on, it changes the brightness of it.

post #8026 of 8443 Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just did some testing and it looks like the line is there if my brightness is set to 57 or higher...... Or I could keep my brightness set at higher then 57 but I then will need set BE down to 2.... Setting the BE down to 2 makes the black bar look gray...... My last result will be to turn off Pixel orbiter and then I could keep brightness to 65 and BE at 5. I guess it really depends on each panel...Kinda sucks that I need to turn off orbiter to avoid this issue.
post #8027 of 8443 Old 04-22-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just did some testing and it looks like the line is there if my brightness is set to 57 or higher...... Or I could keep my brightness set at higher then 57 but I then will need set BE down to 2.... Setting the BE down to 2 makes the black bar look gray...... My last result will be to turn off Pixel orbiter and then I could keep brightness to 65 and BE at 5. I guess it really depends on each panel...Kinda sucks that I need to turn off orbiter to avoid this issue.

It must be a panel difference. I checked last night and the problem you guys are explaining is not happening on mine. It could be when you lower the BE and brightness, it is just masking a problem. There are a lot of folks using higher BE and brightness settings, along with other settings that have to be tweaked as well, and they have not reported such a problem yet. Maybe they will see your post and start checking and report. Sorry you have the problem. That sucks.
post #8028 of 8443 Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

I use Jimmy's settings and it shows up on mine as well. Only noticeable with certain content. I've just accepted it as protecting the screen. It wasn't worth it to me to turn orbiter off to get rid of it but with added IR risk. It doesn't bother me.

Interestingly I've never mentioned it to the wife and I keep waiting for her to say something when it is more noticeable but she hasn't yet. I don't think she sees it.
post #8029 of 8443 Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

I use Jimmy's settings and it shows up on mine as well. Only noticeable with certain content. I've just accepted it as protecting the screen. It wasn't worth it to me to turn orbiter off to get rid of it but with added IR risk. It doesn't bother me.

Interestingly I've never mentioned it to the wife and I keep waiting for her to say something when it is more noticeable but she hasn't yet. I don't think she sees it.

Well that's good and bad news. I do watch a lot of full content but there are many commercials that are not. We also watch BD's on the weekends. I'll play around with it some more. My set is a 42". Maybe that has something to do with it.
post #8030 of 8443 Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 AM

Clearance ST30s are probably the best value out there. Recently I bought one to replace my LG plasma and the blacks are much better. I guess I could have tweaked the LG for better blacks but I just didn't want to mess with the internal parts. However, I found it's a too dim for daytime viewing even with all my windows closed. I could only calibrate it to around 23ftL with 10% window. I could increase the light output to around 36 or 37ftL but the colors, grayscale and gamma all messed up and I couldn't find a way to get the grayscale and gamma right. Giving up in frustration, I decided to live with it. I know 2011 models are know for being pretty dim but not sure if anybody had better luck?
I'm thinking about upgrading to a 2012 ST50. The new model seems to have major improvements, especially the light output.

The ST30 pictures are amazing though. Here are some screenshots:

From Kill Bill Vol.1

From Baraka:

From BBC's Life:

post #8031 of 8443 Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well that's good and bad news. I do watch a lot of full content but there are many commercials that are not. We also watch BD's on the weekends. I'll play around with it some more. My set is a 42". Maybe that has something to do with it.

Been playing around and watching most of today. I can't duplicate the problem of any vertical line, left or right, gray or white on my set. A half inch is pretty big so I should see it. Orbiter is enabled. Have no idea what it could be.
post #8032 of 8443 Old 04-22-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan1234 View Post
However, I found it's a too dim for daytime viewing even with all my windows closed. I could only calibrate it to around 23ftL with 10% window. I could increase the light output to around 36 or 37ftL but the colors, grayscale and gamma all messed up and I couldn't find a way to get the grayscale and gamma right. Giving up in frustration, I decided to live with it. I know 2011 models are know for being pretty dim but not sure if anybody had better luck?
I'm thinking about upgrading to a 2012 ST50. The new model seems to have major improvements, especially the light output.
Here is my 65ST30 calibration done by ChadB at 48fl. It came out extremely well. dE's under 1.

65ST30 Custom (day).pdf 277.0732421875k . file

post #8033 of 8443 Old 04-22-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Here is my 65ST30 calibration done by ChadB at 48fl. It came out extremely well. dE's under 1.

Thanks Dave. It looks like I just haven't got it right yet. I'm just some sort of DYI calibrator so I wouldn't want to mess with the service menu. I'm wondering if that's what it takes? I know the best solution would be a pro calibrator but for now I guess I just have to live with it being a little dim. I'll try to play with it when I have time to see what I can do with it.

post #8034 of 8443 Old 04-22-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan1234 View Post

Thanks Dave. It looks like I just haven't got it right yet. I'm just some sort of DYI calibrator so I wouldn't want to mess with the service menu. I'm wondering if that's what it takes? I know the best solution would be a pro calibrator but for now I guess I just have to live with it being a little dim. I'll try to play with it when I have time to see what I can do with it.

You should be able to calibrate it on mid-panel with the contrast in the 80 range giving you 40+ ftl. The key to getting it to look right with mid-panel is to set the HDMI content mode to "graphics".

The only issue I had was getting the gamma flat. However, if you set the Black Extension to 4 or 5ish and then turn the brightness up in the high-60's low 70's (all depending on your set of course) you should be able to get your gamma pretty flat. You can thank Gremmy for figuring this out.

There's nothing in the service menu you that you would need to mess with unless you want to calibrate Cinema mode.

There is an ST30 DIY calibration thread where a lot of people have contributed to figuring out a whole bunch of stuff about calibrating the set.

post #8035 of 8443 Old 04-23-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I just got a 65ST30. Manufacture date says July 2011. As I recall, that was the key month in them shipping with the fix versus potentially needing it replaced. So does July mean I am good or that I am at the end of the batch that may be a problem? It doesn't list a specific date, just July.

Thanks.
post #8036 of 8443 Old 04-23-2012, 07:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Wow, Chad B does some seriously excellent work! I don't know how this translates to picture, but by his before/after graphs, he really has corrected your set Was the before reading done with the default custom mode?
post #8037 of 8443 Old 04-23-2012, 01:21 PM

Hi Gentlemen

I just ordered the ST30 65"

The guy at best buy swore up and down that I need the 4 year protection plan for $450 and I needed to get it calibrated (by them of course) or it would only last a couple years. BB charges $250 for calibration. Is that a fair price?

Best regards
Pat
post #8038 of 8443 Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwz414 View Post

Hi Gentlemen

I just ordered the ST30 65"

The guy at best buy swore up and down that I need the 4 year protection plan for $450 and I needed to get it calibrated (by them of course) or it would only last a couple years. BB charges $250 for calibration. Is that a fair price?

Best regards
Pat

DO NOT let BB calibrate your set. I went ahead and paid them to do it when I got mine last June, but it's done by a guy who gets paid hourly, whom they only give an hour and a half to do it. It looked really bad the first time the guy did it, and i made him come back a few weeks later, and after he left that time, the set had a hardcore green tint to it, so i ended up buying my own meter. How far was he off? My red and blue high settings ended up at 16+ after I calibrated it myself, he had them at +1 and +2. for 250 bucks you can get an i1 Display Pro to play around with yourself. I recommend it, as you will learn a lot about your set in the process. If you don't want to mess with it yourself, just use D-Nice's settings. They wont be perfect, but in my case, they were closer to fully calibrated than the Best Buy guy got.

Also, I got a 2 year warranty from them, because they told me I could extend it to 4 years in the future if I wanted to. I think i'd recommend the 2 year warranty at least. My set just died on me less than 2 months from when my panny warranty would be up.

post #8039 of 8443 Old 04-23-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

I just got a 65ST30. Manufacture date says July 2011. As I recall, that was the key month in them shipping with the fix versus potentially needing it replaced. So does July mean I am good or that I am at the end of the batch that may be a problem? It doesn't list a specific date, just July.

Thanks.

The information is in my signature.
post #8040 of 8443 Old 04-23-2012, 06:03 PM

Hi, new guy here and just got a P65ST30. Everything seems to work well except I can't seem to get a signal when using HDMI1 (ARC)! Is there anything special about this port? I tried connecting my FIOS DVR and Panasonic BD player and neither can send a signal. What is strange is if I connect it to my Pioneer receiver it still gets no signal but will turn off the receiver as the TV is turned off so I assume HDMI port is working? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

PS I should elaborate, HDMI 2 and 3 are fine but obviously no ARC.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page