Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxST30 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 269 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8041 of 8440 Old 04-23-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbreen76 View Post

Wow, Chad B does some seriously excellent work! I don't know how this translates to picture, but by his before/after graphs, he really has corrected your set Was the before reading done with the default custom mode?

Yes, he's outstanding. This is actually the third set of mine he's worked on since 2005.

I cannot remember if the custom readings were a result of my own tweaks I made, or if they had been reset to default for the start of the calibration.

No question though, putting the numbers aside, I could see real visual improvements as a result. Most notable was.....color just looks more natural (skin tones just look outstanding now), shadows look more neutral, and whites more pure. Extremely happy with the display.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8042 of 8440 Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post

DO NOT let BB calibrate your set.

This cannot be stated loudly enough for anyone else. Stick with one of the top traveling calibrators.

post #8043 of 8440 Old 04-24-2012, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is real noob stuff guys, I'm sure you've heard these comments a thousand times before.

Can I run slides during the day and at night, but watch a movie or two (without bars) during the break in? Do the slides just go on a USB?

I will run D Nice's settings after the TV is broken in, or find a reputable calibrator in the Twin Cities.
post #8044 of 8440 Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwz414 View Post

This is real noob stuff guys, I'm sure you've heard these comments a thousand times before.

Can I run slides during the day and at night, but watch a movie or two (without bars) during the break in? Do the slides just go on a USB?

I will run D Nice's settings after the TV is broken in, or find a reputable calibrator in the Twin Cities.

Purists may tell you no but this is not an exact science and a little preview watching of your TV without bars or the same channel bug very long, and certainly no video games, in my opinion is fine. I did it on my sets and was perfectly happy with the results -- and that includes one d-nice calibrated.
post #8045 of 8440 Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 AM

Citivas, thank you for the feedback
post #8046 of 8440 Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

My daughter's boyfriend works at BB and bought a 50GT30 and 65VT30. He has the GT in the LR and has had it for a while and we just got done with the electrical on the wall so they can mount the VT on the wall in the basement this weekend. He is going to run the slides and have BB calibrate both since he got such a good deal on the cals, with emp discount. I told him many times that the tv Will be worse than out of the box and it's killing me that he won't listen His latest is that BB switched to calman I beleive and it's automatic,vt anyway.

So I need some other points before he has this "work" done. I told him to document the service mode settings before cal in case it's screwed up like ttnuagmada's. He's a picky guy on audio with buying stuff like high end Marantz separates and B&W speakers. I told him I'll enter D-Nice's settings but he won't jump. Yet he is embarrased how bad his GT30 looks campared to my G10,lol.

Lots and lots of reasons to stay away. I've seen calibration reports from some of these guys and they are jacked up...certainly not what is capable. The traveling calibrators are using somewhat more accurate equipment (spectros in many cases) and I guarantee BB is not even keeping their analyzers calibrated. The traveling calibrators will spend far more time to get it right and have so much more experience with these sets - and they have a passion. They understand the science as well as the "art" that is sometimes needed because of a display's inherent compromises. This alone goes a long way. Not to mention, the 2011 Panasonics are finicky to calibrate - especially the VT30 as it has lots of quirks. Finally, reputation. Who knows what clown from BB is going to calibrate his sets. This isn't like tuning up a lawn mower where you take it anywhere reasonable - unfortunately most people don't understand how much is involved.

post #8047 of 8440 Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Thanks David
post #8048 of 8440 Old 04-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

Hi Gentlemen
I just ordered the ST30 65"
The guy at best buy swore up and down that I need the 4 year protection plan for $450 and I needed to get it calibrated (by them of course) or it would only last a couple years. BB charges $250 for calibration. Is that a fair price?
Best regards
Pat

Calibration should have NO impact on how long your TV will last.
Unless, of course, it is performed by a Complete Idiot who manages to BREAK something the process!

For a less expensive warranty, go to Costco and pick up a 3-year Square Trade extended warranty. They will sell one to you even though the TV was purchased elsewhere - but they give a 60-Day Window, post purchase, to make the decision....
post #8049 of 8440 Old 04-24-2012, 04:26 PM

I'm On my way to pick up a set of 55st30 at the Norfolk NEX. They got them listed for 1250 but target is selling them for 999. Took a picture of the sign at target and they priced matched it. 3 yr warranty for another 50 so I got it for less than 1050 out the door with 4 yrs warranty. This replacing my dying jvc fn61.
post #8050 of 8440 Old 04-25-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Calibration should have NO impact on how long your TV will last.
Unless, of course, it is performed by a Complete Idiot who manages to BREAK something the process!

For a less expensive warranty, go to Costco and pick up a 3-year Square Trade extended warranty. They will sell one to you even though the TV was purchased elsewhere - but they give a 60-Day Window, post purchase, to make the decision....

I just picked up my 55" at Sears. #1234 so all should be good there.
What does the Costco one cover? Do they have good service? I do have a Costco membership, so I can get the warranty there.
post #8051 of 8440 Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAD08BULLITT View Post

I just picked up my 55" at Sears. #1234 so all should be good there.
What does the Costco one cover? Do they have good service? I do have a Costco membership, so I can get the warranty there.

CostCo sells a 3-Year Square Trade warranty. (&, from memory, it is a 3-year EXTENSION of the manufacturers warranty - which would normally mean a total of 4 years of coverage).

Have not done any real research, but ASSUME that it is the "same" Square Trade warranty as sold elsewhere - with same Limitations.

Mixed feelings about buying an extended warranty: general "Consumer Advice" is to avoid them. But the price at CostCo is pretty cheap; and if helps one to sleep better at night.....

Read a consumer viewpoint article dealing with extended warranties some months ago: None of the Big Boys came out looking very good, due to Limitations & Gotchaa's built into the contract. Still, clearly some owners have benefited by having a warrany in place.
post #8052 of 8440 Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 PM

So I just checked my TV and I have MG1308xxxx for my serial number, with a build thread of Nov 2011. I connected it on line and its asking to download a firmware update...this shouldnt cause my TV to fritz now would it?
post #8053 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does this Tv upconvert 2d to 3d when you are streaming netflix via the Tv? I have glasses on order so I cant check now.
post #8054 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone have the dimensional optics 3d glasses and how do they compare with the 3rd gen Panasonic glasses?
post #8055 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post

So I just checked my TV and I have MG1308xxxx for my serial number, with a build thread of Nov 2011. I connected it on line and its asking to download a firmware update...this shouldnt cause my TV to fritz now would it?

It's version 2.20 to fix a viera connect service issue. It shouldn't cause any problems.
post #8056 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amughal View Post

Does this Tv upconvert 2d to 3d when you are streaming netflix via the Tv? I have glasses on order so I cant check now.

I haven't tried netflix but it works when streaming using DLNA and anything else I've tried. It does a good job at the conversion, better than I thought it could.
post #8057 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

but they give a 60-Day Window, post purchase, to make the decision....

Not true I got my Squaretrade warranty thru Costco for my 42" ST30 one day before the one year manufacturer's warranty expired.

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #8058 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Man, this gets asked over and over...D Nice set up his panel prep for a very specific reason. If you do not follow the steps, there is no reason to do the slides at all. Just save yourself the headache and stick to full screen content with no static logos for the first hundred hours. There are plenty of settings out there for people who elect not to follow instuctions.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #8059 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

It's version 2.20 to fix a viera connect service issue. It shouldn't cause any problems.

Koo, thanks for the answer...I'll do the update when I'm done running D-Nice's 100 hr break in.
post #8060 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post

Koo, thanks for the answer...I'll do the update when I'm done running D-Nice's 100 hr break in.

post #8061 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

Not true I got my Squaretrade warranty thru Costco for my 42" ST30 one day before the one year manufacturer's warranty expired.

From CostCos web site: took them at their word!

Quote:

How the SquareTrade Service Works
(Service Plan must be bought within 60 days of TV purchase)

post #8062 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 PM

K, got another question...blobs and shadow. Is this something normal. Since running the slides, I kinda started noticing a elongated blob on the middle right side of the screen that seems to be a smudge lighter than everything else with a vertical shadow around it. Its almost like when you mess around with an LCD screen and you press on it, you get this light are where you're putting pressure on and slightly darker around it. I only noticed it now since I've been running the slides.
post #8063 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From CostCos web site: took them at their word!

Maybe it's 'cause I have the gold membership or something or maybe it's different if you don't purchase at Costco...but yeah it all went smoothly, and I have everything registered on Squaretrade, they accepted and processed my receipt clearly showing the 4/10/11 purchase date from Brandsmart USA...as a matter of fact the date of purchase never even came up. On top of that, I paid like sixty bucks for a warranty good til 2016...which is a 4 year warranty.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #8064 of 8440 Old 04-27-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puravida View Post

Hi,

My 60" st30 is less than 6 months old. I was very cautious for the first 200 hours, and after that too. I ran slides and watched only full screen content during this time. After a while I figured it was ok to start enjoying the TV and decided it was no longer necessary to zoom out the channel logos.

Needless to say, a few days ago, I noticed the Golf Channel logo burned in my screen. Its only visible against a light, solid background (white, green, grey), and I can see it from 10 feet away. Its been a few days and its still there. I ran the white scroll bar to no avail and avoided the logo since but none of that made a difference.

I watch the golf channel every weekend for 3-4 hours at a time but mix it in with plenty of full screen HD movies.

I thought this was a thing of the past on plasmas. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

If anyone is interested, here is an update on my Golf channel logo IR.. Its been 1 month since I noticed the issue. I have not watched the offending channel on this TV since. In fact, I have only watched full screen content, no logos for several hours a day. The IR is still very noticeable (especially on light backgrounds). At the beginning, I did run break in slides and was very careful of the content I watched for the first 250 hours.. After that, I only watched the Golf Channel for a few hours at a time with other content mixed in.. I will post another update in 30 days. ugh.
post #8065 of 8440 Old 04-27-2012, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puravida View Post

If anyone is interested, here is an update on my Golf channel logo IR.. Its been 1 month since I noticed the issue. I have not watched the offending channel on this TV since. In fact, I have only watched full screen content, no logos for several hours a day. The IR is still very noticeable (especially on light backgrounds). At the beginning, I did run break in slides and was very careful of the content I watched for the first 250 hours.. After that, I only watched the Golf Channel for a few hours at a time with other content mixed in.. I will post another update in 30 days. ugh.

You know I have noticed this too with the 60" model. I've had the 42" since last April and I've never had burn in/IR. But this model seems to be a lot more susceptible to it. Perhaps it has something to do with the size. Of course, I ran the slides for 100 hours and then I didn't see the panel again up close for almost 2 months and when I did check it the thing was on Vivid and set to Encore all day...I've tried scroll bar for hours and slides overnight and nothing works but the Encore logo is not visible on regular content and I got this panel for a heck of a deal so I'm not complaining...
Talking to Panasonic and the service tech in my area, I think there's a chance, if I approach them the right way, that I could get the "special authorization" a service tech would need to do a burn in repair/replacement. But I haven't called them back yet to work my jelly...not thrilled about losing my panel for who knows how long...

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #8066 of 8440 Old 04-27-2012, 07:49 AM

A couple issues with my 55ST30:

I noticed when the screen is powered down, there is a faint imperfection in the center of the screen. It almost looks like a light colored haze of smoke. It is not very noticeable once the TV is turned on, but you can see it depending on certain images on the screen. What is this?

Also, during panning scenes, the image tends to lag/jump depending on which channel im on. Why is this? The motion smoother does not seem to help.

Pre-august build and was broken in according to DNice settings but now running my own vivid-like settings.
post #8067 of 8440 Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 AM

Another question:

I am a Amazon Prime Subscriber which allows you to watch videos instantly. It seems like the Amazon Video on Demand App in the Viera Link is not the same. Is there anyway to get the Amazon Prime videos on my TV without having to hook up a laptop?
post #8068 of 8440 Old 04-27-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

You know I have noticed this too with the 60" model. I've had the 42" since last April and I've never had burn in/IR. But this model seems to be a lot more susceptible to it. Perhaps it has something to do with the size. Of course, I ran the slides for 100 hours and then I didn't see the panel again up close for almost 2 months and when I did check it the thing was on Vivid and set to Encore all day...I've tried scroll bar for hours and slides overnight and nothing works but the Encore logo is not visible on regular content and I got this panel for a heck of a deal so I'm not complaining...
Talking to Panasonic and the service tech in my area, I think there's a chance, if I approach them the right way, that I could get the "special authorization" a service tech would need to do a burn in repair/replacement. But I haven't called them back yet to work my jelly...not thrilled about losing my panel for who knows how long...

Let us know how your conversation w/ Panny goes.. Good luck.
post #8069 of 8440 Old 04-27-2012, 12:00 PM

Has anyone been able to a snag a good deal on 3D glasses for their ST30 yet?
post #8070 of 8440 Old 04-27-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 448
If you dont mind universal glasses I snagged some for mid 30's on amazon

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page