Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxST30 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 270 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8071 of 8449 Old 04-28-2012, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I came back to this thread to look for options on glasses as well. The Panasonic 2011 models are looking like they're very hard to come by (especially the large size) and still expensive to boot. Reviews on the off-brand models are mixed at best on Amazon. Would like to hear some reviews from the folks here and suggestions on where and what to buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8072 of 8449 Old 04-28-2012, 04:30 AM

Liked: 16
I bought my set (46ST30) at Christmas time (december) from Amazon. It's an April build with a corresponding older serial number and PDP EEP value of 42.5c. I updated the firmware to 2.20 because I was seeing what I thought was fbr (dragging images from my laptop screen onto the TV screen caused substantial fluctuations in brightness) and that firmware fixed that problem. I was told on this forum that a firmware update doesn't fix fbr, but I wasn't seeing it afterward so I was counting myself as fortunate.

Well, last night my wife and I watched "Everything Must Go" on BluRay and there is a scene where Will Ferrell is talking to the neighbor across the street and every time the camera switched from Ferrell to her, I definitely saw fbr (very obvious and noticeable). Argh. Guess I'll call Panasonic on Monday.

Panasonic P46ST30 | Denon AVR-X2000 | PSB T45/B15/C40 | Oppo BDP-83 | DirecTV
post #8073 of 8449 Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 AM

Apologies for this "Bash" on Panasonic I am posting but the greater masses need to know that this company has no interest in customer service nor do they stand behind their product and take care of their customers. This is my opportunity to describe the single worst customer service experience I have had in my 46yr life. I purchased a Panasonic 42" Plasma 3D TV (TC-P43ST30) in last November 2011 from Best Buy. At the time Panasonic offered the TV at $400 off its normal $1099 price so my cost was $699.99. Best Buy was also giving away a free Panasonic BluRay player with the purchase of the TV as well. On the sales receipt they applied the $400 discount to the TV and split the cost of the Blue Ray player between the TV and Player as additional discounts ($70 off the player and $80 off the TV), this is apparently how they rang the sale in to get the player out the door free (player was $149.99 and 80+70 equaled the cost of the player). Great TV, nice picture, purchased for my 65yr old mother. Two (2) month later the TV broke and I was told to take the TV to a local service center by Panasonic. I'm ok with this but its surprising a two month old TV needs to be repaired. After 3 1/2 weeks I am called and told the Panel needed replacement but the part Panasonic sent them was defective. They were waiting for Panasonic to tell them what they were going to do. I was told they would likely send a new unit and not a check after I told them that this same unit now sells for its original $1099 price so it would not be right to expect your customer to pay an addition $400 to buy the same TV that broke. 2 weeks later I was told Panasonic sent me a check for $619 plus tax, WAIT, the TV cost me $699, it was Panasonic's promo so they should know this. They are telling me that because the receipt shows the $80 discount off the TV (to split the cost of the free player) that this is what I paid for it. After SEVERAL calls to Panasonic Customer Service and finally a manager because the rep I was dealing with did not understand the sale, I was told that this is all they will do, and that they will not provide a replacement TV. They are taking advantage of the fact that I got a free BluRay player and reducing the refund based on this. Lets for one moment assume the TV was still available at Best Buy for the $699 price, and that the free BluRay player promo was no longer available. It would cost me $699 to go in and buy that TV today, I would still have the BluRay player as I did with the original purchase, and I would be in the same original position as I was originally (TV and BlueRay player for $699). But today, if I was willing to pay the addition $400 to get the same TV that is no longer on sale, I would not get the Free player. So panasonic is expecting me to Pay more for the same TV, and loose $80 of my money of the original purchase price because they gave me a free BlueRay player. Panasonic should be cutting me a check for the $699 (plus tax) price I paid, I don't care that they were giving away a free BlueRay player, I paid what I paid. But they won't do that, they don't seem to understand the concept of the promo and are penalizing me for their promotion, and the fact that the 2 month old TV I bought broke. Bottom line, they are taking advantage of me, Their is a completely lack of customer service, don't stand behind their product, and WILL NEVER get my business again. I will not evangelize or recommend their product either. Take my comments as you will, but this is not how you treat your customers. They would have been smarter to give me a better or equal TV as a replacement at their cost. Far less "costly" than bad publicity..
post #8074 of 8449 Old 04-28-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by as4ronin View Post

Apologies for this "Bash" on Panasonic I am posting but the greater masses need to know that this company has no interest in customer service nor do they stand behind their product and take care of their customers. .... Far less "costly" than bad publicity..

My experience with Panasonic support has been excellent.

BTW, if you want people to ready your post, consider adding newlines and the paragraphs. They are all the rage (a different kind of rage entirely).

- Rich
Anodyne likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #8075 of 8449 Old 04-28-2012, 10:44 AM

Liked: 13
I just picked up a display 46ST30 from Target. It has about 4800 hours on it. I've been reading trying to figure out what I should do setting it up, but there's no clear cut guidance for a display unit.

If I want to try D-nice's settings, should I still run the initial 100 hour setup even though my set has 4800 hours on it? People seem to go both ways with this issue.

Also, it's a February 2011 build, PDP EEP is 42.59, so it appears to be a set that would qualify for the FBr issue. Should I just go ahead and call Panasonic and have them fix this, or wait until I see whether or not I run across the issue?

If anyone has any other input releated to this being a display and how to set it up I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
post #8076 of 8449 Old 04-28-2012, 12:37 PM

i'm looking for some lighting to put behind my 55st30. it seems like whichever light we choose to have on, somebody at some seating position will have some kind of glare and i'm trying to eliminate that altogether.

was thinking about something like this

but wanted opinions from people that have done something similar and had success. Thanks!
post #8077 of 8449 Old 04-30-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO710HD View Post

Has anyone been able to a snag a good deal on 3D glasses for their ST30 yet?

I bought 3 new pairs of the PS3 glasses for $75 plus $10 shipping on Ebay. I also bought a used 2nd Gen Panny set on ebay for $35 plus $6 shipping on ebay. They look brand new and all work great. Keep an eye out on Ebay. There are great deals around.
post #8078 of 8449 Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkowski1 View Post

Well, last night my wife and I watched "Everything Must Go" on BluRay and there is a scene where Will Ferrell is talking to the neighbor across the street and every time the camera switched from Ferrell to her, I definitely saw fbr (very obvious and noticeable). Argh. Guess I'll call Panasonic on Monday.

I was on the phone with Panasonic this morning for 1 hour and 3 minutes including be transferred to concierge to have my service appointment set up. Thanks to tfoltz who has the information in his signature. It was tremendously helpful. The tech tried to blame it on CATS which I expected and also the firmware which of course was updated. The she tried to blame it on my calibration and told me to watch in vivid mode. I confirmed that it still does it on all picture modes from all sources. She the told me that this was a mystery and that's when I gave her the service bulletin number. It was still another 20 min or so of mostly being on hold, but eventually I was given a service appointment for Friday. I'll update again after I hopefully receive the patched EEPROM.

post #8079 of 8449 Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAD08BULLITT View Post

I bought 3 new pairs of the PS3 glasses for $75 plus $10 shipping on Ebay. I also bought a used 2nd Gen Panny set on ebay for $35 plus $6 shipping on ebay. They look brand new and all work great. Keep an eye out on Ebay. There are great deals around.

Amazon has new Xpand 103's for about $50. I use them and they work well.

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #8080 of 8449 Old 05-02-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:

I did! My gf works at best buy so we got 2 pairs for about 100 bones total
post #8081 of 8449 Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 AM

A couple issues with my 55ST30:

I noticed when the screen is powered down, there is a faint imperfection in the center of the screen. It almost looks like a light colored haze of smoke about 3" tall and 4" wide. It is not very noticeable once the TV is turned on, but you can see it depending on certain images on the screen. What is this?

Also, during panning scenes, the image tends to lag/jump depending on which channel im on. Why is this? The motion smoother does not seem to help.

I am a Amazon Prime Subscriber which allows you to watch videos instantly. It seems like the Amazon Video on Demand App in the Viera Link is not the same. Is there anyway to get the Amazon Prime videos on my TV without having to hook up a laptop?

Pre-august build and was broken in according to DNice settings but now running my own vivid-like settings.
post #8082 of 8449 Old 05-03-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post

A couple issues with my 55ST30:

I noticed when the screen is powered down, there is a faint imperfection in the center of the screen. It almost looks like a light colored haze of smoke about 3" tall and 4" wide. It is not very noticeable once the TV is turned on, but you can see it depending on certain images on the screen. What is this?

Also, during panning scenes, the image tends to lag/jump depending on which channel im on. Why is this? The motion smoother does not seem to help.

I am a Amazon Prime Subscriber which allows you to watch videos instantly. It seems like the Amazon Video on Demand App in the Viera Link is not the same. Is there anyway to get the Amazon Prime videos on my TV without having to hook up a laptop?

Pre-august build and was broken in according to DNice settings but now running my own vivid-like settings.

I have that same model havent noticed any motion issues, on the Amazon app the first choice in the menu after search is "Prime Videos" which contains all the availible videos. Did you do a firmware update to version 2.2 ? That replaces the old Viera app with Viera Connect.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #8083 of 8449 Old 05-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You may be referring to judder. I believe the TV doesn't display 1080i all that well, despite what some reviews have said. Also, I think a lot of it depends on the source. I have Comcast xfinity HD cable that broadcasts in 1080i. On my 60" ST30, the judder is very noticeable on some content. However, once I used my Onkyo 609 receiver to upconvert to 1080p, the judder has lessened.

This effect appeared a lot less severe on my 42" ST30 but that could well be simply the difference in size playing a part. If you have a Blu Ray player connected via HDMI, play a pristine signal on a good test movie and see if you still notice this. If not, then signal and format (cable, 1080i) may be the culprit.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #8084 of 8449 Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestaquos View Post

I did! My gf works at best buy so we got 2 pairs for about 100 bones total

which model did you purchase at Best Buy?
post #8085 of 8449 Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

You may be referring to judder. I believe the TV doesn't display 1080i all that well, despite what some reviews have said. Also, I think a lot of it depends on the source. I have Comcast xfinity HD cable that broadcasts in 1080i. On my 60" ST30, the judder is very noticeable on some content. However, once I used my Onkyo 609 receiver to upconvert to 1080p, the judder has lessened.

This effect appeared a lot less severe on my 42" ST30 but that could well be simply the difference in size playing a part. If you have a Blu Ray player connected via HDMI, play a pristine signal on a good test movie and see if you still notice this. If not, then signal and format (cable, 1080i) may be the culprit.

Another hint on this set is to make sure the 3:2 pulldown setting is set to "ON" the auto setting does not function properly causes the 1080i deinterlacing to fail.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #8086 of 8449 Old 05-03-2012, 10:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttybardude View Post

i'm looking for some lighting to put behind my 55st30. it seems like whichever light we choose to have on, somebody at some seating position will have some kind of glare and i'm trying to eliminate that altogether.

was thinking about something like this

but wanted opinions from people that have done something similar and had success. Thanks!

Backlighting is the way to go for sure. Plus I think it looks cool. Where did you find those lights? I am going to do the same when I move to my new house.
post #8087 of 8449 Old 05-03-2012, 07:48 PM

You can tackle the back lighting with simple LED strips in whatever color you want. Really simple.

I used to build signs for a living and wired up LED's all day. Since I was on the commercial side of things I don't have any retail sources off the top of my head but I'm sure a quick search of "LED light strips" will pull up some good links.
post #8088 of 8449 Old 05-04-2012, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Another hint on this set is to make sure the 3:2 pulldown setting is set to "ON" the auto setting does not function properly causes the 1080i deinterlacing to fail.

Ha! I completely forgot about this fix, thanks chunon. I do have the 3:2 set to "on" on the 42" ST30, perhaps that is why I notice it a lot less on that panel.

Ok I'm going to change it to "on" for the 60-incher as well then and stop upconverting to 1080p to see if there's a difference.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #8089 of 8449 Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Another question:

I use a PS3 for this (Amazon released their instant video/amazon prime app for PS3 about a month ago).

I'm not sure of any other way right now, but I'd imagine it'll be more widely available in the near future.
post #8090 of 8449 Old 05-04-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb2319 View Post

I use a PS3 for this (Amazon released their instant video/amazon prime app for PS3 about a month ago).

I'm not sure of any other way right now, but I'd imagine it'll be more widely available in the near future.

You can access Prime Videos on Amazon thru viera connect.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #8091 of 8449 Old 05-04-2012, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey guys!

I got my P42S30 today, but have a little problem, maybe you could help.
The thing is i can't get subtitles to work with .mkv files (playing from USB) using the media player.
Tried .srt and .sub. The name of the sub file is the same as the .mkv, but the media player just doesn't see it.

Is there any solution to this problem other than hardcoding the sub into the .mkv?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: nevermind, solved it with MKV Merge, thanks anyway!
post #8092 of 8449 Old 05-04-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:

I was on the phone with Panasonic this morning for 1 hour and 3 minutes including be transferred to concierge to have my service appointment set up. Thanks to tfoltz who has the information in his signature. It was tremendously helpful. The tech tried to blame it on CATS which I expected and also the firmware which of course was updated. The she tried to blame it on my calibration and told me to watch in vivid mode. I confirmed that it still does it on all picture modes from all sources. She the told me that this was a mystery and that's when I gave her the service bulletin number. It was still another 20 min or so of mostly being on hold, but eventually I was given a service appointment for Friday. I'll update again after I hopefully receive the patched EEPROM.

I got a new A-board installed today in my 46ST30. 2 of the DRV values were off from before in the service menu, but it looks great either way. I went ahead and restored them to the values I had before.

My PDP EEP value was 42.5c, and now is 42.5d just as others have reported. I can't see the fbr in the one blu-ray where I thought it was really noticeable. I haven't checked others.

So glad for this forum or that would have probably driven me crazy trying to get it resolved.

post #8093 of 8449 Old 05-04-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

You can access Prime Videos on Amazon thru viera connect.

Ha, well even better!
post #8094 of 8449 Old 05-05-2012, 06:33 PM

Has anyone had experience with "weak" pixels with their ST30? I bought my P50ST30 about 5 months ago and suddenly have a row of pixels (well, maybe 80% of the pixels of that row) that get temporarily stuck in a color (usually magenta-ish).

Switching between red, green, blue, and yellow backgrounds several times usually fixes the entire row up. However, if I switch to an entirely black screen and then go to a white one, all of those pixels get stuck again.

I tried UDPixel but it didn't work. Any advice/experiences with a problem like this?

Thanks.
post #8095 of 8449 Old 05-08-2012, 07:44 AM

Liked: 12
I am having my tv maintenance today due to the buzzing noise. I wrote down all the service menu settings in case they changed for some reason. I knew to avoid the volume buttons however it seems that 5 and 7 also changed some setting. Any chance there is a all tv default for the WBadjust method and color temp?

Mine are currently 0 and warm.

Edit: I am not exactly sure how these settings apply or when but it seem that warm and cool color temp settings are used to adjust the cuts and gain for those specific modes, they are not an actual setting.
Perhaps cool applies to cool1 and cool2 and warm settings within the service menu apply to warm 1 and warm 2 in the user menus?

Either case I don't think I screwed anything up

As for WBadjust... I cant seem to notice any difference no matter what I set it to.. Still don't understand that one.

post #8096 of 8449 Old 05-08-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
If you didn't adjust the Standard def matrix the settings are still there and can be copied to the HD side.

You can adjust cool, normal and warm. They correspond to cool2 normal and warm2. Warm 1 and cool 1 are averages.

After an adjustment you have to leave the service mode to see any results.
post #8097 of 8449 Old 05-08-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:

If you don't mind aftermarket, I got the PS3 ones and I am pretty impressed, no ghosting or anything and the color seems to stay nice and bright. They can be found on amazon for i think around 50 but i snag them on ebay for about 35 or so.
post #8098 of 8449 Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

If you didn't adjust the Standard def matrix the settings are still there and can be copied to the HD side.

You can adjust cool, normal and warm. They correspond to cool2 normal and warm2. Warm 1 and cool 1 are averages.

After an adjustment you have to leave the service mode to see any results.

Alright sounds like I am good then, basically all I did was just change the cool/warm/normal field. I didn't know if that was a setting or just showing different menus. Thanks for the response and also with the SD mode idea. I can end all paranoia

post #8099 of 8449 Old 05-08-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyav View Post

Alright sounds like I am good then, basically all I did was just change the cool/warm/normal field. I didn't know if that was a setting or just showing different menus. Thanks for the response and also with the SD mode idea. I can end all paranoia

Unless you touched volume up or volume down when you were in the service menu you didnt really change anything, all you did was cycle thru the various color temps as if you were going to adjust one of them.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #8100 of 8449 Old 05-09-2012, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I bought my set (46ST30) at Christmas time (december) from Amazon. It's an April build with a corresponding older serial number and PDP EEP value of 42.5c. I updated the firmware to 2.20 because I was seeing what I thought was fbr (dragging images from my laptop screen onto the TV screen caused substantial fluctuations in brightness) and that firmware fixed that problem. I was told on this forum that a firmware update doesn't fix fbr, but I wasn't seeing it afterward so I was counting myself as fortunate.

Interestingly, on my post-A board swap 42" ST30, I can still see FBr on the Pandora screen saver, albeit not as severe as before. However, on my 60" ST30 (which according to SM, is also is post A board swap) the background did not flicker once to a brighter or darker shade on the same screensaver.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page