AVS Forum banner
973K views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  b_scott 
#1 ·
She just got delivered for some testing the other day. Ah, the joy of having a thinner designed Panasonic . Nice and thin at about 2".

--More to come.......Including a review from Chad B around midnight tonight

Chad B wrote a reveiw >>> Click Here

See less See more
#6,731 ·
I only have two issues at the moment with my 65ST30.

1. Pink tint. I have wondered if proper grayscale calibration will minimize the issue as my grayscale is pretty out-of-whack as I've reached the 400 hour mark. I plan on getting it ISF'd once I make a decision to keep the set. This issue is most notable on black and white content, but also on colored material as well --- mostly on beige or tan backgrounds or low brightness whites.

2. Phosphor trailing. It's subtle, but noticeable to me lately when a brighter object moves faster on a dark background. I didn't notice this on the Samsung 64D8000 nor 65VT30 I had, but I have watched more material on my ST30 so perhaps I am just starting to see it. All of the Panasonics share the same phosphor system I am told, so I don't think it's just an ST30 issue. I highly doubt there is anything wrong with my display. I'm also told this issue can improve as the phosphors get more use.

Otherwise, I really like the set and imagine it will look even better once it's ISF'd, but have determine if there will be a wedding or break-up as I have until Jan 31 to return it.

#6,733 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocielz /forum/post/21477016

Anyway to fix the green tint/haze?

No. I have speculated *perhaps* a proper calibration can somewhat lessen the issue, but it has not been tested as far as I know. However, I think with black and white content calibrated to the recommended lower temp (5500K) which gives a more reddish/warm look in general, it would really be minimized.

#6,734 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir /forum/post/0

No. I have speculated *perhaps* a proper calibration can somewhat lessen the issue, but it has not been tested as far as I know. However, I think with black and white content calibrated to the recommended lower temp (5500K) which gives a more reddish/warm look in general, it would really be minimized.

I'm using dnice settings after 120hrs of slides. It's very noticeable on close ups.

#6,735 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir /forum/post/21477186

I would not tolerate the pink/green issues in the least. Return the set. FBr is OK, since there's a fix for it but if you have to tune down your color to 55k just to get the pink reduced you have a defective set, IMHO.

#6,736 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 /forum/post/21477394

I would not tolerate the pink/green issues in the least. Return the set. FBr is OK, since there's a fix for it but if you have to tune down your color to 55k just to get the pink reduced you have a defective set, IMHO.

That is the recommended temperature for viewing content in b&w - I didn't mean that for color. I think the pink issue is common - maybe more so on larger screens, not sure. But, it's mostly on low brightness with certain material. The 65VT30 I had was the same way, as was the one at Best Buy I was able to look at it. I just spoke with a calibrator who started looking for it as he's seen it on the last two Panasonics he checked. Again, it's on low brightness material and depends on the color of content.

#6,738 ·
Can someone point me in the right direction for the service menu offset settings for 60" ST30?

I have the thread but it is kinda confusing since it says the settings are for the GT30 only. Does the ST30 use the GT30 service menu offset settings?

If someone could answer this quick id like to make my changes.

#6,739 ·

Quote:
That is the recommended temperature for viewing content in b&w ... I think the pink issue is common. But, it's mostly on low brightness with certain material. .... I just spoke with a calibrator who started looking for it as he's seen it on the last two Panasonics he checked. Again, it's on low brightness material and depends on the color of content.

Agrees with our experience.

Hmm: hadn't thought about changing any settings for B&W material. Thanks for posting: will give that a try.

Think we must be well over 350 hours on our 60" ST30, including two recent stints of Over 60 Hours Continuous Running.

Our new semester started Monday, so very busy this week, but thought I noticed a distinct difference in Stephen A Smith's face appearance while exercising this morning (first day have been late enough to see him for a while).

Did a fairly-quick-but-reasonable test against slides & sure enough the GREEN BLOB seems to have all-but-disappeared. Checked with ALL Picture Settings (Vivid, Standard, Cinema, Game, & Custom), AND checked Custom at all available Panel Brightness (?) Settings - Low, Mid, High. Primary BLOB, lower-screen just to R of center, is still visible, but greatly reduced in intensity, and doubt MOST PEOPLE would "see" the balance of the green without having it pointed out to them.

OTOH, the PINK TINT continues to expand in area - so much so that is not entirely clear whether the Green has truly Disappeared, or merely been supplanted by Pink.

At the same time, the Pink SEEMS to have also diminished in overall Intensity - almost as if the "amount" is remaining the same, while the Visibility is being reduced as it spreads over a larger area. Can still see it in certain scenes in "Ed Wood" - readily available on DVR as a reference - but NOT in Brighter scenes, such as the episode of "Burn Notice" that was thoroughly infused with PINK at initial viewing (& also kept on DVR for comparison / reference).

Still Just Over 2 weeks for "final decision" on this set. Will try the reduced setting for B&W and see what difference that makes.

FWIW, had a group over here last weekend, and was running Planet Earth (silently) in the background (enough people that we met & ate in basement), & received several "Wow - that is a fantastic picture!" comments.

FELT like saying, "Yeah, as long as you can ignore Green Blob & Pink Tint!", but Planet Earth (HD DVD) did not display either of those, so simply said "Thank-you...."

#6,740 ·
Can someone point me in the right direction for the service menu offset settings for 60" ST30?

I have the thread but it is kinda confusing since it says the settings are for the GT30 only. Does the ST30 use the GT30 service menu offset settings?

#6,741 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 /forum/post/21477824

You already answered your own question. There are no service menu settings for the ST30, only user menu settings.

#6,743 ·
#6,745 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 /forum/post/21478330

So are you saying there is no offset adjustments for the ST30?

That is correct, there are no offset values posted for the ST30.

No calibrators in this forum have posted any service menu settings for the ST30. D Nice specifically confirmed he was not going to post any SM settings for the ST30.

Why not just bite the bullet and get it calibrated? Since it lacks 10 point controls and ISF, your calibrator should give you a break on the price. Don McLaughlin of Precision Video Calibrations gave me a good deal on my panel and it looks fantastic.

#6,747 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 /forum/post/21478442

That is correct, there are no offset values posted for the ST30.

No calibrators in this forum have posted any service menu settings for the ST30. D Nice specifically confirmed he was not going to post any SM settings for the ST30.

Why not just bite the bullet and get it calibrated? Since it lacks 10 point controls and ISF, your calibrator should give you a break on the price. Don McLaughlin of Precision Video Calibrations gave me a good deal on my panel and it looks fantastic.

Agreed, and accurate service menu grayscale settings are very individual, set to set.

#6,748 ·
I just bought a TC-P42ST30 as a gift for someone. Can anybody direct me to (I can't find it in a search):

1. Recommended settings

2. Break-in procedure. I realize there may be none but it's been several years since I bought my PZ85U and I followed a regimen then. I assume it's largely unnecessary now?

#6,749 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John /forum/post/0

I just bought a

TC-P42ST30 as a gift for someone. Can anybody direct me to (I can't find it in a search):

1. Recommended settings

2. Break-in procedure. I realize there may be none but it's been several years since I bought my PZ85U and I followed a regimen then. I assume it's largely unnecessary now?

Ahhh john we meet again...my 85u got ko'ed by the blinks...and its a mixed bag with the slides...some do it some dont

#6,750 ·
Mikey,

Hmm, now you have me worried. What am I too expect out of my 85u?

#6,751 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John /forum/post/0

Mikey,

Hmm, now you have me worried. What am I too expect out of my 85u?

Mine died 6 months out of warranty...bought a sammy last year and got nailed with "thermal expansion" the glass crack issue that samsung refuses to fix under warranty...2 months after i bought it....so im going back to panny who at least i know wouldve honered thier warranty had it still been under it....ill probably run the slides when i get my st30 just for peace of mind

#6,752 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3 /forum/post/0

yes your st30 has fbr i have a feb built st30 and i swore that it did not have fbr but it did and i got it fixed and its a brand new tv watch harry potter

and the half moon prince and youwill see fbr

I have a March build also and have been trying to check for fbr with harry potter the deathly hollows p1. So far I have not been able to notice it. Is there a scene that I can check to verify that my tv is ok.

#6,753 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediOne /forum/post/21479513

I have a March build also and have been trying to check for fbr with harry potter the deathly hollows p1. So far I have not been able to notice it. Is there a scene that I can check to verify that my tv is ok.

I cannot say. However, the opening 10 minutes of the first Harry Potter fb'd quite a bit on the Samsung 64D8000 I had - really evident in scenes and letterbox bars. I am not sure your set would do the same, but you could check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.