Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxST30 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 282 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8431 of 8449 Old 03-12-2014, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhazell View Post

Hey All,

Thanks to a few of you who posted about the buzzing noise coming from your TV. Mine started doing that about 6 months ago and really started getting extremely annoying sitting 10+ feet away from the panel these past couple months. I decided to research to see what was going on as I feared either the power supply or a board was going out on it. After some googling around for a bit I found the YouTube video that most of you found that explained the problem and also mentioned the part number for the replacement OEM screws with lock washers.

Who knew that it was just a screw! I

My TV is the TC-P60ST30UA

I hope this helps some of you, cuz it sure helped me! My TV is absolutely quiet now, even if I put my ear up to the panel....a very very slight hum. smile.gif

Thanks for posting, my st30 has been very loud lately. Ordered the screw set from your link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8432 of 8449 Old 03-15-2014, 06:45 AM

Liked: 10
Has anyone measured the new screw dimensions? I'd rather just go down to HD than wait for the new ones to be shipped in.

If they're the same as the old ones except with a washer, that would be good to know, too.
post #8433 of 8449 Old 03-15-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:

Hey All,

Thanks to a few of you who posted about the buzzing noise coming from your TV. Mine started doing that about 6 months ago and really started getting extremely annoying sitting 10+ feet away from the panel these past couple months. I decided to research to see what was going on as I feared either the power supply or a board was going out on it. After some googling around for a bit I found the YouTube video that most of you found that explained the problem and also mentioned the part number for the replacement OEM screws with lock washers.

OEM Screws - Part # XYN3 + F6FJ-18PK Ebay This is the only place I could find them... came as expected. Fit perfectly on the boards! Nice and snug! Replaced one screw at a time so the board wouldn't move out of place. I was truly amazing that I didn't even have to sweat removing the old screws.... 1 packet of screws only had enough screws for me to replace the Top right board and middle board with a few spares for the left board...see below. But it was mostly the top right board that was the loosest (even a word?).

Youtube Video

[ ... ]

I hope this helps some of you, cuz it sure helped me! My TV is absolutely quiet now, even if I put my ear up to the panel....a very very slight hum. smile.gif

Thanks so much for this helpful post!!

I guess it's my turn. My 60ST30 just started buzzing in the last week or so. I ordered the replacement screws from your ebay link. I did a quick google of the part number, and found them at several other places, but I think ebay is still the cheapest. Thanks again.
post #8434 of 8449 Old 03-15-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ehren View Post

Has anyone measured the new screw dimensions? I'd rather just go down to HD than wait for the new ones to be shipped in.

If they're the same as the old ones except with a washer, that would be good to know, too.

Check out the youtube video that zhazell mentioned in his post. It shows the original and replacement screws. They are not the same. You might be able to get away with just adding lock washers to the original screws, as long a the originals are long enough. Since the OEM screws are only $4 delivered, I decided to go that route.
post #8435 of 8449 Old 04-06-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I recently obtained a TC-P50ST30 from a friend for next to nothing. They were not so tech savvy though so they never noticed the fluctuating brightness issue. After properly calibrating and following the recommended settings from this forum the fluctuating brightness is very noticeable to me. Since the TV was bought in 2011 and the warranty is expired, what options do I have? Will Panasonic send a technician for a fee?
post #8436 of 8449 Old 04-28-2014, 11:08 AM

Liked: 11
I have noticed some buzzing but I have owned a few Panasonic Plasmas so I am used it. I've had my ST30 for over 2 years now and have not calibrated it because every review I have read said leave it in Cinema and my WOW disc confirmed this.I tried D-nices settings a few months back and it looked off so I decided to pull the trigger on Spears and Munsil and I end up with virtually the same settings and the buzzing became louder. I've been trying to calibrate in Custom and have come to the conclusion that Custom is useless. Last night I reset my display and decided to calibrate in Cinema with both Spears and Wow and was very surprised at the outcome. I should also mention that I calibrated for a completely dark room because I just purchased a house and my 55ST30 will go in my dedicated theatre in the basement. When I adjusted Contrast below 100 nothing happened. I mean nothing. The brightness did not change and all the bars visible after 245 remained not visible. Once I hit bellow 60 the bars started to appear and the screen started to dim. I ended up at these settings:
Contrast 44
Brightness 56
Colour 49
Tint 0
Sharpness 25
The results are unreal. I have had owned numerous LCD's, CRT's, Plasmas, rear projection tv, front projectors and none have even come close to this tv. Invest part is the buzzing is all but gone.

I was unsure about the settings thinking 44 is incredibly low. I could leave Contrast at 100 and clip whites above 245 but I want my displays as accurate as possible. Flesh tones now look like they should, colours beautiful, blacks are deeper with lots of shadow detail. All in all these settings give my display a truly cinematic experience and will keep my ST30 for years to come.
Mad Norseman likes this.
post #8437 of 8449 Old 04-29-2014, 05:11 AM

Liked: 22
Finally did the screw replacement procedure on my st30 over the weekend. Buzzing noise is gone, thanks everyone for the information!
post #8438 of 8449 Old 06-03-2014, 01:10 PM

Hi all, new to the site and I have a question I was hoping to get some help with.

I know this is the thread for the TC-PxxST30 owners, but I own a TC-P42S30 from 2011 and I'm having some issues.  I purchased the unit new in January of 2012 and it's been great.  A few weeks ago, the TV stopped displaying any audio/video from my HDMI inputs.  I was using Apple TV and performed the resolution scan and all of a sudden the image came back, but only at 480p.  Every time I tried to change it to anything higher than this SD quality, the picture disappeared and the TV said there was no input.  When I tried my Blu Ray player, the device's menu showed up on the screen (since it's not in HD), but then the picture disappeared as soon as I put a disc in the player.  So, it seems the HDMI inputs on the unit are only displaying SD resolutions, BUT I also have an antenna hooked up to receive OTA digital channels and those are displaying just fine in HD with audio.  

Is this simply an issue with the A-board and the HDMI inputs, or does it go farther than that?  I could easily replace the A-board if that is the case, and I really don't want to have to get rid of this TV.

Thanks for your help!

post #8439 of 8449 Old 06-04-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Hey All,

OEM Screws - Part # XYN3 + F6FJ-18PK Ebay This is the only place I could find them... came as expected. Fit perfectly on the boards! Nice and snug! Replaced one screw at a time so the board wouldn't move out of place. I was truly amazing that I didn't even have to sweat removing the old screws.... 1 packet of screws only had enough screws for me to replace the Top right board and middle board with a few spares for the left board...see below. But it was mostly the top right board that was the loosest (even a word?).

Youtube Video

Check out the pics below...

Thanks! I'm going to try this on my 40ST30
post #8440 of 8449 Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcos723 View Post

Hi all, new to the site and I have a question I was hoping to get some help with.

I know this is the thread for the TC-PxxST30 owners, but I own a TC-P42S30 from 2011 and I'm having some issues.  I purchased the unit new in January of 2012 and it's been great.  A few weeks ago, the TV stopped displaying any audio/video from my HDMI inputs.  I was using Apple TV and performed the resolution scan and all of a sudden the image came back, but only at 480p.  Every time I tried to change it to anything higher than this SD quality, the picture disappeared and the TV said there was no input.  When I tried my Blu Ray player, the device's menu showed up on the screen (since it's not in HD), but then the picture disappeared as soon as I put a disc in the player.  So, it seems the HDMI inputs on the unit are only displaying SD resolutions, BUT I also have an antenna hooked up to receive OTA digital channels and those are displaying just fine in HD with audio.  

Is this simply an issue with the A-board and the HDMI inputs, or does it go farther than that?  I could easily replace the A-board if that is the case, and I really don't want to have to get rid of this TV.

Thanks for your help!

My HDMI 3 input on the side has stopped working. Very rarely if I push a cable a certain way it'll connect, but then disconnect again. I'm to the point of having to buy a remote splitter in order to play both game systems without have to swap plugs every time. It's really annoying.

Not sure what to do here. It's obviously way out of warranty.
post #8441 of 8449 Old 07-12-2014, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hard to believe I've had my TC-P50ST30 for almost 3 years. Still love the hell out of it. I got a few questions though. I'm setting this up for use with my PC for bluray play back. I'm confused as to what to set the 4.2.2, 4.4.4, RGB setting on my computer. Seems like everyone says it depends on the TV. So what should I set it to for my ST? Also I assume I can the ST can handle expanded RGB without issue right? I had it set on that since day 1.

Also I see people talking about buzzing. I get buzzing on my set when I have a lot of light colors on the screen. Did that since day 1, that's not the same issue right?
post #8442 of 8449 Old 07-12-2014, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Good question, the ST30 uses 4:2:2 subsampling but is that a good enough reason to send a lesser signal?

I think it doesn't matter as the extra bits are thrown but you should always use RGB expanded (0-255) with a PC
post #8443 of 8449 Old 07-12-2014, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks ChadThunder, I'm just going by what people were saying over at the HTPC sub forum. I don't even understand the 4:2:2 stuff besides it being some sort of color space thing (i think). I'm gonna set my GPU to 4:2:2 and make sure my TV and computer is set to expanded.

Bluray is 4:2:0 and my TV is 4:2:2. So if I set it all to 4:2:2 how does the 4:2:0 become 4:2:2 on my TV? Do these settings effect how color looks in video games I play on my PC? This is complicated.

Last edited by Fahrenheit85; 07-12-2014 at 12:47 AM.
post #8444 of 8449 Old 08-06-2014, 07:46 AM

Are there discrete IR codes for the color profiles? I'd like to program my Harmony remote to switch the TV to "Game" display for, well, playing games.

I realize I could do this by switching inputs, but I'd really like to only have one HDMI cable on the TV, going to the receiver.
post #8445 of 8449 Old 08-08-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi all --

I'm looking to upgrade my TC-P50S30 to a larger screen and I came across a pre-owned TC-P60ST30 on Craigslist.

They're asking $800 for the TV, three pairs of Panasonic 3D glasses and six 3D Blu-Rays ... Avatar, Pirates of the Caribbean and some others I can't remember.

After reading this thread, it seems like the general consensus is that this is a good screen with a few issues. The manufacture date is May 2011 ... is that before or after the fluctuating brightness issue?

Also -- does this seem like an OK deal? It seems a little pricey for a 3-year old set, especially when the Samsung 5300 can be had for around $700-$800 new. But I do love Panasonics and they haven't exactly come down in price on the aftermarket.

I'd welcome any and all opinions.

Thanks!
post #8446 of 8449 Old 08-09-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imawheel View Post
Hi all --

I'm looking to upgrade my TC-P50S30 to a larger screen and I came across a pre-owned TC-P60ST30 on Craigslist.

They're asking $800 for the TV, three pairs of Panasonic 3D glasses and six 3D Blu-Rays ... Avatar, Pirates of the Caribbean and some others I can't remember.

After reading this thread, it seems like the general consensus is that this is a good screen with a few issues. The manufacture date is May 2011 ... is that before or after the fluctuating brightness issue?

Also -- does this seem like an OK deal? It seems a little pricey for a 3-year old set, especially when the Samsung 5300 can be had for around $700-$800 new. But I do love Panasonics and they haven't exactly come down in price on the aftermarket.

I'd welcome any and all opinions.

Thanks!
Personally, I think it's a bit high in price myself. It's a great TV with a great picture, I have the same model and I love it, but would I buy it today with the hours on it and the 4 pairs of 3d glasses I have for $800 from someone else? NO, at $350-400 I would consider it, but not much more then that. As far as I can recall the fluctuating brightness issue didn't affect every set, as mine has a build date of feb 2011 and I didn't have any issues, but as a precautionary measure I did manage to get panasonic to send someone to check it out before the warranty expired. This is another thing to factor in with the $800 price, you are buying a tv that has no warranty, unless they bought the extended warranty which I can't answer anything about. If I were in your shoes, I would evaluate the set, check how many hours were on it and make an offer accordingly. Best of luck with your choice!
post #8447 of 8449 Old 08-09-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane369 View Post
Personally, I think it's a bit high in price myself. It's a great TV with a great picture, I have the same model and I love it, but would I buy it today with the hours on it and the 4 pairs of 3d glasses I have for $800 from someone else? NO, at $350-400 I would consider it, but not much more then that. As far as I can recall the fluctuating brightness issue didn't affect every set, as mine has a build date of feb 2011 and I didn't have any issues, but as a precautionary measure I did manage to get panasonic to send someone to check it out before the warranty expired. This is another thing to factor in with the $800 price, you are buying a tv that has no warranty, unless they bought the extended warranty which I can't answer anything about. If I were in your shoes, I would evaluate the set, check how many hours were on it and make an offer accordingly. Best of luck with your choice!
Thanks for the reply! I'm still torn out what to do. They've said they'll do $700 for just the TV without any of the 3D components. Still seems high considering I can get a Samsung 5300 in the $700 range. But those seem to have their own issues, too.
post #8448 of 8449 Old 08-09-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imawheel View Post
Thanks for the reply! I'm still torn out what to do. They've said they'll do $700 for just the TV without any of the 3D components. Still seems high considering I can get a Samsung 5300 in the $700 range. But those seem to have their own issues, too.
Were you able to ask them about it having an extended warranty? I would also want to know the hours on the set before I would even consider making an offer. If you're not sure how to check the hours, it can easily be found using search. I checked mine and I have 8775 hours on it and it's been powered on 2208 times and is still going strong. I did manage to find a website that you can get a rough value for tv's and it's estimate was in the $540 range. How accurate it is, I don't know. If you were to buy it, you can get the glasses fairly cheap. The ps3 glasses are compatible and I've seen some places have them for as low as $9.99/pair. If you're not going to actually use the 3D on the tv, then I can definitely think of some better models that I'd buy for the same price that would have a warranty. Hope this helps you out some. It seems as if this thread has been dead for awhile now.
post #8449 of 8449 Old 08-09-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane369 View Post
Were you able to ask them about it having an extended warranty? I would also want to know the hours on the set before I would even consider making an offer. If you're not sure how to check the hours, it can easily be found using search. I checked mine and I have 8775 hours on it and it's been powered on 2208 times and is still going strong. I did manage to find a website that you can get a rough value for tv's and it's estimate was in the $540 range. How accurate it is, I don't know. If you were to buy it, you can get the glasses fairly cheap. The ps3 glasses are compatible and I've seen some places have them for as low as $9.99/pair. If you're not going to actually use the 3D on the tv, then I can definitely think of some better models that I'd buy for the same price that would have a warranty. Hope this helps you out some. It seems as if this thread has been dead for awhile now.
Thanks again for your response. Is there a particular hour count that should be a red flag?

I've never been that into 3D but I'm not against it. If you have any suggestions for better/other models I could be looking at, I'd be glad to hear them. Thank you!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page