AVS Forum banner
973K views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  b_scott 
#1 ·
She just got delivered for some testing the other day. Ah, the joy of having a thinner designed Panasonic . Nice and thin at about 2".

--More to come.......Including a review from Chad B around midnight tonight

Chad B wrote a reveiw >>> Click Here

See less See more
#903 ·
I think people obsess about IR and burn in unnecessarily in most cases. You do occasionally get someone posting a thread about serious IR and then find out that they play some game with static images for like 16 hours a day and have their contrast set at 100.

On the flip side, you really shouldn't have to take a lot of precautions like running special patterns after viewing content and what not. There was even a guy on here a few months ago who commented that he could not watch an entire two hour long 2:35-1 aspect movie without hitting the zoom button on his remote periodically because he was terrified he would ruin his TV (must be a lot of fun to watch movies in that house).

It's a TV people, just enjoy it.

Obviously if you are actually diagnosed with OCD then maybe you can't help yourself, but that's a whole other enchilada.

#904 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA /forum/post/20199996

What if you run that white bar scroll after all your gaming sessions. I'm sure that would help reduce the chance.

of course my horse ..

but you should also do things such as go to menu etc every so many minutes to give your tv a break from hud images .. thats what i do ..

accept with games with no permanent hud such as uncharted 2 ..

those games you can play endlessly for hours and not have to worry ..

scrolling bar will help wash away things that are particularly sticky ..

#905 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/20200016

There was even a guy on here a few months ago who commented that he could not watch an entire two hour long 2:35-1 aspect movie without hitting the zoom button on his remote periodically because he was terrified he would ruin his TV (must be a lot of fun to watch movies in that house).

I LOL'D hard.

#906 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Spanky /forum/post/20200027

of course my horse ..

but you should also do things such as go to menu etc every so many minutes to give your tv a break from hud images .. thats what i do ..

Good to know. I play Call of Duty but I mostly play hardcore mode and there is no hud in hardcore mode.

#907 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fronesis /forum/post/20199550

I'm going to write up a separate thread with my overall thoughts on buzzing.

But let me answer your question directly:
it will NOT get better over time.

There is no break-in or easy fix. The only way to alter the buzz is to use settings with the lowest possible brightness and contrast, but it will still buzz. And both of mine one white screens (even in THX mode with brightness and contrast dialed back) buzz very, very loudly.

People here will mock me, but I'm about to buy a new DLP. I can't stand the PQ on LCD (much less LED) and I just can't live with the buzzing.

I'm *really* sorry to hear that. Yeah, I'm with you. Frankly, I'm pretty surprised that this is not a deal-breaker for almost everyone. Sure image retention, and burn-in etc etc are a pain, but this is just dumb. And I feel dumb for somehow not knowing about this before I bought.

I'll look for your buzzing post (if I still have this thing when you post it).

#908 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA /forum/post/20200083

Good to know. I play Call of Duty but I mostly play hardcore mode and there is no hud in hardcore mode.

The only way to play call of duty is hardcore.. Search and destroy

#909 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott /forum/post/20199784

agreed, they all buzz. My Pioneer buzzes when I sit direct center of the screen. It's almost like a transmission from the center of the screen. But if I sit at all off center, I can't hear it. And can't hear it when there is any sound playing either, so it's not that big a deal.

hey b_scott, how far away are you from the screen, and which model is it? Just curious...

#911 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Spanky /forum/post/20200027

of course my horse ..

Pretty sure almost all plasmas have pixel orbiter on by default anymore, and almost all new games have minimal or see-through HUD so as to not "burn in." I truly think anyone treating their TV any different with regard to this is just worrying for no reason. I've had my Pio for almost three years and never factor any of that in - yet not one ounce of burn in.

#913 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott /forum/post/20200609

Pretty sure almost all plasmas have pixel orbiter on by default anymore, and almost all new games have minimal or see-through HUD so as to not "burn in." I truly think anyone treating their TV any different with regard to this is just worrying for no reason. I've had my Pio for almost three years and never factor any of that in - yet not one ounce of burn in.

yeah .. its really a minimal concern these days ..

some people prefer to take precautions for peace of mind though ..

peace of mind is a valuable thing ..

im not too worried about it tbh ..

i will probably play and use my tv however i like once its broken in with little regard to burn in ..

thing is .. life is short .. and so are these appliances .. eventually you will get a new one .. they wont last forever .. so aside from being abusive (leaving same image on screen for days for instance) just try to enjoy them ..

its just a tv ..

ive actually decided to keep mine ..

i can live with the uniformity issues ..

they really only bother me on xbox or ps3 menu screens .. i can live with that ..

i was just in a bit of a slump yesterday right after i got the tv .. im over it ..

i will not be sending back a 3rd tv to amazon ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuuggles /forum/post/20200258

hey b_scott, how far away are you from the screen, and which model is it? Just curious...

both my gt25s buzzed very loudly .. from any distance it was audible even with tv volume on ..

my st30 still buzzes but the buzz is much more subdued and with tv volume on i rarely notice it at 7 feet unless im trying to hear it ..

i would say the decible level is at least half of what it was on the gt25 if not better ..

#914 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott /forum/post/20194864

I don't want to buy an AVR for my bedroom when I'm just using the TV's sound, but I also don't want to use a switcher since they are unreliable and may not pass 1.4, plus that's another thing for my IR dongle to manage. I just want to hook my DVR, Bluray, and gaming console to my TV through the wall.

I'm not saying remove other connections, just add at least 3 HDMI to the back of the panel. They are very small and could not be that much extra $$.

You can get auto HDMI switches I think; no remote at all. I have an auto component switch. It switches to an input once it detects a signal, and it has priority, so if more than 1 source is typically on, you can still have it work how you want it to.

I have my 42" S2 in the bedroom as well. But I only use 1 HDMI device; a HTPC. It's my DVR, Bluray, and gaming machine all in one!

Adding more HMDI ports to the TV will add cost. I really don't know how much, but it could be more than we are thinking it is. I think the # of HDMI ports included is indicative to the tier that this set resides. I don't think you'll find other manufacturers w/ more HDMI ports in the same price range. Same goes for AVRs...you gotta pay more to get more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott /forum/post/20195536

Thanks - yeah I was figuring on a $25 mount:

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-brac...d=L5CWNB74KCZE

good reviews, and tilts just slightly.

Look at monoprice as well. They have a good selection at good prices. Shipping is slower, and costly, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 /forum/post/20196052

Is the picture grainy to you? My S2 is very grainy looking.

My S2 was very grainy out of the box a few feet away from the panel. Once I tweaked the settings (D-Nice) and sat back where I normally do I don't see it anymore.

#916 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 /forum/post/20201075

The best way to play Call of Duty is to not play at all. Its been garbage since CoD4, same game re-skinned and released every year.

i wouldnt know .. the only thing i have really ever played multi is halo .. all my years its always been halo ..

i own some cod games .. but i find them too be too ez .. and no im not trying to start a fanboy war here ..

they are just more forgiving ..

when im in practice i want it to show .. i want to be able to dominate casuals ..

and when im not in practice then i deserve to get my butt kicked by others ..

cod .. pick it up .. a day later youre competing with the big boys controller skill wise ..

the real skill with cod imo is knowing maps well and how to use them ..

halo skill is all about clutch situations .. how long can you maintain perfect concentration when necessary ..

gun battles in halo take more shots/time .. and thus more concentration and skill with the controller ..

hopefully i didnt just open up a can of worms

#917 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Spanky /forum/post/20201188

i wouldnt know .. the only thing i have really ever played multi is halo .. all my years its always been halo ..

i own some cod games .. but i find them too be too ez .. and no im not trying to start a fanboy war here ..

they are just more forgiving ..

when im in practice i want it to show .. i want to be able to dominate casuals ..

and when im not in practice then i deserve to get my butt kicked by others ..

cod .. pick it up .. a day later youre competing with the big boys controller skill wise ..

the real skill with cod imo is knowing maps well and how to use them ..

halo skill is all about clutch situations .. how long can you maintain perfect concentration when necessary ..

gun battles in halo take more shots/time .. and thus more concentration and skill with the controller ..

hopefully i didnt just open up a can of worms

Go to ANY game forum on the internet. CoD is hated everywhere. It been milked and milked since CoD4. I have played every one, and to my surprise 4 years later Black Ops is just a 4 year old game with a new coat of paint. Its pathetic.

I liken Black Ops sales to Britney Spears sales.

#918 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 /forum/post/20201230

Go to ANY game forum on the internet. CoD is hated everywhere. It been milked and milked since CoD4. I have played every one, and to my surprise 4 years later Black Ops is just a 4 year old game with a new coat of paint. Its pathetic.

I liken Black Ops sales to Britney Spears sales.

LOL ..

this conversation makes me want to break out the headphones and start brushing up on halo ..

but tbh i kinda feel the same way about halo ..

i quit halo reach multi after only a couple months ..

i played halo 2 and 3 for years before getting tired of them ..

then again .. im feeling easily jaded with pretty much all video games i play now ..

i get bored ez .. its not as magical as it used to be ..

#920 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Spanky /forum/post/20201265

LOL ..

this conversation makes me want to break out the headphones and start brushing up on halo ..

but tbh i kinda feel the same way about halo ..

i quit halo reach multi after only a couple months ..

i played halo 2 and 3 for years before getting tired of them ..

then again .. im feeling easily jaded with pretty much all video games i play now ..

i get bored ez .. its not as magical as it used to be ..

Except Halo has maintained critical acclaim for a decade, whereas CoD has scored lower and lower each release since 4.

#921 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott /forum/post/20200609

Pretty sure almost all plasmas have pixel orbiter on by default anymore,

Panasonic didn't have a pixel orbiter until this year at all. And a pixel orbiter is totaly useless unless the static image part is only as small as the orbiter moves the image. Which is probably never the case.

#923 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA /forum/post/20201740

Anyone know what I should set my 360 at? Like Reference Levels and HDMI COLOR SPACE?

varies too much game to game for one overall setting imo ..

aside from turning off video processing to potentially improve lag its really all just preference ..

you want to avoid black crush that causes you to lose detail .. but you want everything to look rich and pretty as well .. and this varies from game to game ..

if you are like me .. you pick a game and thats teh game you play for a while .. i dont go back and forth between games much .. im either playing something or im not ..

so for me its ez .. when i decide to play agame i readjust picture settings ..

i find that high contrast mid brightness is best for most games ..

i also tend to turn brightness down and gamma up a little bit in dark games (killzone 2, dead space, etc) to improve shadow detail but avoid washing out colors which ruins the feel of the game ..

sharpness i always set to 0 .. it gives everything a softer feel .. but turning it up often gives an unnatural shimmer to certain textures and lines within agame ..

color .. depends on game .. depends on your preference ..

so find that balance between maintaining the rich look of the game and being able to see everything in it clearly ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 /forum/post/20201908

Except Halo has maintained critical acclaim for a decade, whereas CoD has scored lower and lower each release since 4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.