Forum Jump: 

post #1921 of 8449 Old 05-02-2011, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post
Moving it to MID actually crushes white detail. I've seen clouds blend into the sky in certain movies when going back and forth.

On a side note does anyone know if increasing panel brightnes to MID increases the risk of burn in?
Well, you can't use the same brightness and contrast if you change the panel brightness. I reran the calibration disk afterwards to correctly set the contrast and brightness after making the panel change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 8449 Old 05-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
Well, you can't use the same brightness and contrast if you change the panel brightness. I reran the calibration disk afterwards to correctly set the contrast and brightness after making the panel change.
Yea I just did that to see if I could get it close again and I think I did. Games look alot better at Mid. I'm using D-Nice settings the only changes I made are Contrast is now 70 Color is 37 and of course panel is at MID.
post #1923 of 8449 Old 05-02-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:

I call bs. ^^These are the exagerations that make people get false hope or others will question they have something wrong with their set.

Call it whatever you want, but thats how mine looks, too bad yours does not.

- Panasonic TC-P50ST30
- Yamaha RX-V667
- Polk RM75
- Polk PSW10
- ARRX18G Remote w/ RF extender
- WDTV Live+ (5TB and growing)
post #1924 of 8449 Old 05-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eortizr View Post

Call it whatever you want, but thats how mine looks, too bad yours does not.

Then you have bad eyes or your room isnt pitch black like you said it is b/c what you just said is your ST has Kuro blacks in a pitch black room.
post #1925 of 8449 Old 05-02-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Then you have bad eyes or your room isnt pitch black like you said it is b/c what you just said is your ST has Kuro blacks in a pitch black room.

You both need to get a room and figure out what's causing that heated sensation in your loins when speaking to each other.

That is all.
post #1926 of 8449 Old 05-02-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I call bs. ^^These are the exagerations that make people get false hope or others will question they have something wrong with their set.

*shrug* I get that on my 8G Pioneer. i'm sure that 2011 Panny's can come close.
post #1927 of 8449 Old 05-02-2011, 05:57 PM

Ruppugu,

Can you post your settings? I too have thought it was the feeds because some channels looked spectaular while others looked terrible. Picture would look dull and everything looked a tad too soft. That was with D-Nice settings after the break-in. There also seemed to be a slight green tint to fleshy tones on some faces.

I have since taken his settings, switched to mid, 2.4 reduced contrast to 65 and color to 40. Picture looks much better but still not completely happy with it.

Anyone else also have any alternative settings other than D-Nice's that they have found work well?
post #1928 of 8449 Old 05-02-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:

This is what I see:

- Panasonic TC-P50ST30
- Yamaha RX-V667
- Polk RM75
- Polk PSW10
post #1929 of 8449 Old 05-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

That doesnt really prove anything my fathers Vizio LCD from Walmart will look the same way if I take a snap shot unless I have a super high quality camera. Cameras tend to crush black when taking snap shots of TVs trust me I've been browsing PIC threads for the last 8 years, mostly gaming threads were people post snapshots of playing games.

LCD screen in dark room.

See what I mean? I can't see were the border is but I guarentee in person I would be able to see it easily.
post #1930 of 8449 Old 05-02-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just picked up the TC-P42ST30 for my living room and have to say I'm quite impressed. Haven't done much tweaking but after a bit of HD viewing and watching a dvd of Winter's Bone the PQ is very, very good. Even my nephew remarked how crisp the dvd picture was (and this was after I realized I had my dvd player set for a CRT display and hadn't switched to the plasma setting). SD material is okay on cable but TW signal isn't all that great (some channels look better than others) but the HD material really pops. I like that the set has a nice array of tools to tweak PQ. I, too, have started with settings recommended here and have adjusted a few here and there to where the PQ to my eyes is great (Bulls game tonight I can only say "Wow"). Nothing to say about 3D since I will never use it but wanted this display has a newer technology for 2D viewing that Panasonic's new non-3D sets don't have (which I think helps immensely). Can't say I've seen any problems since I NEVER look for them on any of my displays (like dead pixels, green blotches, off-center picture etc) so I'm glad I purchased this baby. I can only imagine how blu-ray will look on it when I replace the Oppo BDP-83 in my HT. (I guess that depends on how soon they come up with something newer than the 93 or 95 or if some other company comes up with something better.) One truly satisfied consumer right now.

post #1931 of 8449 Old 05-03-2011, 12:03 AM

what would you recommend me to get? a new V20 or ST30? price is quite similar..tv will be connected to DVDO EDGE, used mainly for sports (80%) and movies (20%)
post #1932 of 8449 Old 05-03-2011, 11:15 AM

I got my 3rd and final (i hope) 55ST30 about a week and a half ago and last Wednesday, the 100hr slide prep was completed and I applied D-Nice's settings.

So far:

Compared to my previous VT25:

I don't see any real difference in PQ. The blacks are 'almost' the same. The VT25 had visibly slightly better, blacks.

Colors seem a tinnnnny bit dull. I might try the gamma and panel brightness adjustments mentioned a few posts back.

The flashing line business that I experienced only happens with the dark knight. I believe it has something to do with 24p + ps3 + a random flux capacitor issue. Basically it's such a minor thing that I don't care.

In the end. Awesome TV, especially at it's price. I'm Very happy and thanks to all on this thread for all the great input.
post #1933 of 8449 Old 05-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedarat View Post

I got my 3rd and final (i hope) 55ST30 about a week and a half ago and last Wednesday, the 100hr slide prep was completed and I applied D-Nice's settings.

So far:

Compared to my previous VT25:

I don't see any real difference in PQ. The blacks are 'almost' the same. The VT25 had visibly slightly better, blacks.

Colors seem a tinnnnny bit dull. I might try the gamma and panel brightness adjustments mentioned a few posts back.

The flashing line business that I experienced only happens with the dark knight. I believe it has something to do with 24p + ps3 + a random flux capacitor issue. Basically it's such a minor thing that I don't care.

In the end. Awesome TV, especially at it's price. I'm Very happy and thanks to all on this thread for all the great input.

If your using D-Nice try these combined with his settings.

Gamma 2.2
MID Panel Brightness
Contrast 70
Color 37

or

Gamma 2.4
Mid Panel Brightness
Contrast 70
Brightness 56-57
Color 37

Everything else is D-nice settings, those are the 2 alts I use sometimes.
post #1934 of 8449 Old 05-03-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:

If your using D-Nice try these combined with his settings.

Gamma 2.2
MID Panel Brightness
Contrast 70
Color 37

or

Gamma 2.4
Mid Panel Brightness
Contrast 70
Brightness 56-57
Color 37

Everything else is D-nice settings, those are the 2 alts I use sometimes.

Thanks. I will definitely give them a try.
post #1935 of 8449 Old 05-03-2011, 11:58 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchaoss View Post

what would you recommend me to get? a new V20 or ST30? price is quite similar..tv will be connected to DVDO EDGE, used mainly for sports (80%) and movies (20%)

You always pay premium price for newest models, so i would go with older model and better picture quality.
post #1936 of 8449 Old 05-03-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I've only had the 50ST30 since Friday, and this only a fleeting impression, but I think that I've seen less grain on the ST than on the GT. Light backgrounds appear to be a bit cleaner to me. Has anyone with experience with both model series noticed this at all?
post #1937 of 8449 Old 05-03-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Weak. I was going to return the 50 for the 55 on saturday but it was storming so i decided to wait. I checked the prices and BB went up so I cant exchange the 50 this week. I asked if they would match Amazon's price but the guy said no. I might just return the 50 for now and wait for the 55 to come down. I still have 2 weeks to return it.
post #1938 of 8449 Old 05-03-2011, 01:46 PM

I would love it if I could have HD content default to the Full aspect, and for SD content (4:3) default to the "Just" aspect. Does anyone know if this is possible? It seems that you can only set the aspect for one or the other for all content. Thanks.
post #1939 of 8449 Old 05-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

why would you want to stretch a 4:3 image? anyways nope cant be done you have to switch it as you go
post #1940 of 8449 Old 05-03-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kessbrown View Post

I would love it if I could have HD content default to the Full aspect, and for SD content (4:3) default to the "Just" aspect. Does anyone know if this is possible? It seems that you can only set the aspect for one or the other for all content. Thanks.

I have my TiVo set to native output and the TV will do just what you are asking.

Greg
post #1941 of 8449 Old 05-03-2011, 09:39 PM

Liked: 11
I'm still getting the grainy effects when watching blu rays. I just watched Hurt Locker and it clearly was visible. Kinda annoyed me a bit. I popped in Avatar and you could hardly see it but it's very obvious in hurt Locker. Even during the loading of the menu, when the screen is black, the grain is there. It's like sand being stirred around or vibrated on a table. Could it be my blu ray player? I'm running the colored image break in procedure and it's clear as glass.
post #1942 of 8449 Old 05-04-2011, 03:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post

I'm still getting the grainy effects when watching blu rays. I just watched Hurt Locker and it clearly was visible. Kinda annoyed me a bit. I popped in Avatar and you could hardly see it but it's very obvious in hurt Locker. Even during the loading of the menu, when the screen is black, the grain is there. It's like sand being stirred around or vibrated on a table. Could it be my blu ray player? I'm running the colored image break in procedure and it's clear as glass.

Some movies purposely add grain. 300 for example. Also the more blown out your settings are (not calibrated right) the more noticeable it'll be.
post #1943 of 8449 Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
HD Nation did a little review of the ST30 on their most recent podcast (i download the show on my Tivo S3). The hosts are LCD guys but they had some good things to say about the ST30.

Video:
http://revision3.com/hdnation/panasonicplasma

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #1944 of 8449 Old 05-04-2011, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

HD Nation did a little review of the ST30 on their most recent podcast (i download the show on my Tivo S3). The hosts are LCD guys but they had some good things to say about the ST30.

Video:

Thanks for posting this. It made me feel better about my purchase over LED/LCD.

Thanks

Frank
TC-P50-ST30
Dish HOPPER with Sling
B&W Speakers/Polk Active Sub
post #1945 of 8449 Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Video:

saw that, but I swore they showed the words "VT30" in either their show description or promo shots. weird.
post #1946 of 8449 Old 05-04-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishiki View Post

Ruppugu,

Can you post your settings? I too have thought it was the feeds because some channels looked spectaular while others looked terrible. Picture would look dull and everything looked a tad too soft. That was with D-Nice settings after the break-in. There also seemed to be a slight green tint to fleshy tones on some faces.

I have since taken his settings, switched to mid, 2.4 reduced contrast to 65 and color to 40. Picture looks much better but still not completely happy with it.

Anyone else also have any alternative settings other than D-Nice's that they have found work well?

The settings were similar to what MASKOAA posted. I went back to my old settings when I took a look at a white scale graphic though. It was crushing a few shades of white and I couldn't get it looking good so I went back to low.

I might try again when I have time.
post #1947 of 8449 Old 05-04-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll preface this by saying that the following observations are entirely my own based on my visual perceptions so be kind. After having an first generation 40" Sony Z set for 3 years, I decided that it was time to upgrade. Because of the LCD's panel uneveness, clouding, variable black levels and poor field of vision, I figured that it was time to look at a Plasma set. I bought a 46GT24 from Costco a couple of months ago and while it is a very good set, I felt that a 50" with the newer panel would be worth looking at. The 50ST30 arrived this past Friday and I'm still experimenting with the video settings. The combination of the larger panel and the thinner frame had more impact on the feeling of screen size than I would have thought when compared to the 46GT24. Before making a final decision to return the GT24 to Costco, I wanted to do some kind of A-B comparison between the two sets. I finally did that yesterday. While this certainly wasn't a comprehensive test, here are my observations. .

1. First test: HD Cable. DVR'ed parts of several HD programs and played them back on both sets via HDMI. Custom mode on the ST is better and easier to calibrate than the GT's and is more neutral to the eye. Overall image is close with maybe a mild edge for the ST but I was right about the grain. The ST exhibits less graininess than the GT does. Possibly that's the improved processing chips at work.

2. Second test: SD cable. Absolutely better on the ST. Less noise and blockiness on 480i at 4:3 and in Just mode. The new LSI chips appear to rule here.

3. Third test: SDVD. Put on the second disc of Return of the King where the Corsairs are boarded by the ghost army. Again the ST does a better job of upscaling to 1080P. The image is smoother, has less noise and fewer jaggies.

4. Last test Blu-ray: Harry Potter #4. The GT did a very good job in Custom and THX modes but frankly, the ST30 in Custom mode just looked better to me. The Warm 1 setting especially looked more balanced. The image was a bit brighter and blacks stood out a bit more. It was just a more pleasing picture. Of course the larger screen is a plus.

5. The THX mode on the GT is, I think, better than the Cinema mode on the ST but the Custom mode apears to be where the ST will live and breathe.

So that's a cursory comparison between the two Pannys currently in my possession (which better be down to one very soon or I'll be moving one set into the garage because, per the wife's fury, that's where I'll be living).
post #1948 of 8449 Old 05-04-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:

So I guess the guy from HD Nation have bad eyes too... I'm gonna quote what he said in this video @ 5:30 'http://revision3.com/hdnation/panasonicplasma

Quote: 'Is impressive how dark black can get, like the bars in a letterbox movie, they becoming indistinguishable from the rest of the room, especially if you are sitting in a dark room environment.'

- Panasonic TC-P50ST30
- Yamaha RX-V667
- Polk RM75
- Polk PSW10
post #1949 of 8449 Old 05-04-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I'll preface this by saying that the following observations are entirely my own based on my visual perceptions so be kind. After having an first generation 40" Sony Z set for 3 years, I decided that it was time to upgrade. Because of the LCD's panel uneveness, clouding, variable black levels and poor field of vision, I figured that it was time to look at a Plasma set. I bought a 46GT24 from Costco a couple of months ago and while it is a very good set, I felt that a 50" with the newer panel would be worth looking at. The 50ST30 arrived this past Friday and I'm still experimenting with the video settings. The combination of the larger panel and the thinner frame had more impact on the feeling of screen size than I would have thought when compared to the 46GT24. Before making a final decision to return the GT24 to Costco, I wanted to do some kind of A-B comparison between the two sets. I finally did that yesterday. While this certainly wasn't a comprehensive test, here are my observations. .

1. First test: HD Cable. DVR'ed parts of several HD programs and played them back on both sets via HDMI. Custom mode on the ST is better and easier to calibrate than the GT's and is more neutral to the eye. Overall image is close with maybe a mild edge for the ST but I was right about the grain. The ST exhibits less graininess than the GT does. Possibly that's the improved processing chips at work.

2. Second test: SD cable. Absolutely better on the ST. Less noise and blockiness on 480i at 4:3 and in Just mode. The new LSI chips appear to rule here.

3. Third test: SDVD. Put on the second disc of Return of the King where the Corsairs are boarded by the ghost army. Again the ST does a better job of upscaling to 1080P. The image is smoother, has less noise and fewer jaggies.

4. Last test Blu-ray: Harry Potter #4. The GT did a very good job in Custom and THX modes but frankly, the ST30 in Custom mode just looked better to me. The Warm 1 setting especially looked more balanced. The image was a bit brighter and blacks stood out a bit more. It was just a more pleasing picture. Of course the larger screen is a plus.

5. The THX mode on the GT is, I think, better than the Cinema mode on the ST but the Custom mode apears to be where the ST will live and breathe.

So that's a cursory comparison between the two Pannys currently in my possession (which better be down to one very soon or I'll be moving one set into the garage because, per the wife's fury, that's where I'll be living.

Awww man my GT25 smokes your ST30

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #1950 of 8449 Old 05-04-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Awww man my GT25 smokes your ST30

Says you!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60st30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page