post #181 of 8449 Old 03-07-2011, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuran View Post

Well 72 Break in Hours so far on 50ST30, got bored and decided to try some gaming to test for lag. I play Tekken with friends often and can't seem to tell much of a lag with the few rounds I tested. I played an hour of Medal of Honor SP(PS3) couldn't tell of any lag present. I switched between Cinema w/ Motion Smooth on Strong and Off and did the same with Game Mode. Either my eyes aren't as sensitive as before or this set is a winner for gaming. I can't wait for break in to be over and see how it should look with a higher contrast. I DL'd the AVS 709 and will probably try my luck on that after 100 mark. Although I'm not that seasoned as far as calibration on any TV so If anyone has any recommendations for Cinema/Custom Mode settings after Breakin I'd appreciate it.

If you have a laptop Azuran, it'd be much appreciated if you could follow the instructions in the first post here and post your results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 8449 Old 03-07-2011, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the 55" version is coming out soon? I noticed Cleveland Plasma isn't carrying it yet.
post #183 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 02:30 AM

Liked: 17
does the st30 have any fans at the back, and if so how many?
post #184 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiedee View Post
does the st30 have any fans at the back, and if so how many?
It was posted at HDJ that the ST30 has no fans, while the GT and VT both have two cooling fans each.

Interestingly it seems as though the PCB in the ST30 is different, and it also has one power supply where-as the GT and VT have a dual power supply setup.
post #185 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 07:31 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by senkoskipper View Post
Does best buy have a better relationship with samsung than with any other TV manufacturer? Every tv on display is a samsung and every other brand is still packaged in the box and used as display cases for onsale dvd's or xbox bundle packages or set aside away from view.
Samsung has a very cozy and underhanded relationship with Best Buy and their managers. Both companies are very disreputable so they're like two peas in a pod. A few of my low voltage customers are former BB and Magnolia employees and the things that they say go on behind closed doors explains a lot about why they're such a big advocate of Samsung products. They've even made TV commercials together.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #186 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 89
just found this thread and read it through from the beginning...very troubling to say the least...it wouldn't have been so bad if all of the 2011 sets didn't share the same panel but how much better can we realistically expect the VT30 to be at this point?
post #187 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

just found this thread and read it through from the beginning...very troubling to say the least...it wouldn't have been so bad if all of the 2011 sets didn't share the same panel but how much better can we realistically expect the VT30 to be at this point?

The problem is that right now there is only one single review on the ST30, so we don't know how accurate the data is on it until there are at least a few other reviews from other calibrators who can backup or refute the measurements.

Last year the GT and VT were only off about .01 MLL from each other so it would be surprising to see much of a difference in black level performance between the three panels although it is possible Panasonic has done something extremely unusual and deliberately held back the performance of the ST in software somehow.

Also keep in mind that last year Chad measured the VT25 at .01 MLL when every other reviewer measured .004 on that set.
post #188 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 AM

Liked: 11
Sorry Orta, sadly the 3 laptops in the household only have vga. I did however try tekken on NX800 in the living room with Auto and Game Scene options. Auto with all the bells and whistles on had very noticeable lag and for Gaming lag was less noticeable. Comparing the ST30 to old VT25 I had and they are pretty close. Did a few more test runs today with the Motion Smooth lag a bit more noticeable on game mode. I upped the sensitivity on Battlefield Bad Co 2 and there was a hint of lag with Motion Smooth on Strong. I didn't bother with Weak since you either want lag or don't.
post #189 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

The driving circuitry between the GT30/VT30 and the ST30 is totally different.

The glass panel itself doesn't make the magic. It's the combination of the glass panel *AND* the driving circuitry. I posted this on another site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

From what VFR just said, it may have the same glass panel but none of the driving circuitry is the same. And really its the circuitry that does the magic so to speak.

So from an analogy stand point; view the glass panel itself as a really high end guitar and view the driving circuitry boards as the musician playing the guitar.

GT30/VT30 have Jimi Hendrix playing the guitar
ST30 has some high school kid who just started taking lessons

So while all of them might have the same high end guitar it's the musician that makes the huge difference.... The musician here being the circuitry that drives the glass plasma panel.

The ST30 will not represent what the GT30/VT30 will look like.

If you read-up on PDP panel driving you'll see it's a complicated art actually driving the panel. And now knowing the ST30 has different driving circuitry than the GT30/VT30 you can't do much until someone gets their hands on the GT30/VT30 to see how it performs. I would think it'll perform different. While it's possible they put the same driving code on the newer boards, IMO it's highly unlikely.

-SiGGy
post #190 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 09:52 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

It was posted at HDJ that the ST30 has no fans, while the GT and VT both have two cooling fans each.

Interestingly it seems as though the PCB in the ST30 is different, and it also has one power supply where-as the GT and VT have a dual power supply setup.

thanks.
post #191 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:

cnet confirmed same panel AND same electronics in the st and gt ..

if the pcb is different .. then apparently cnets "reliable" source has lied to them ..

also can you please provide a link to that information ..

im curious about the source ..

thx ..
post #192 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Spanky View Post

if the pcb is different .. then apparently cnets "reliable" source has lied to them ..

This is what was posted by a source who seems VERY well informed at another forum;

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post

VT/GT
-Each has 2 fans(50" and 55")
-Each has a primary and secondary power supply
-Have the same PCB's except for the A board that differs between the two
-Are essentially identical in their construction (how they're put together)
-Require adapter cables to access component/composite/pc inputs (looks like most are converted to mini plug inputs)

ST
-Has no fans
-Has a single power supply
-Has no main PCB's in common with GT/VT and actually more in common with S
-No need for adapter cables

IMO the ST is clearly an S upgraded to 3D.The VT/GT are very much alike and quite different from the ST.

Also the GT owners manual still shows 96Hz as an option for 24p.
It could still be a typo though and is otherwise unreleased and so unconfirmed.

With this followup comment from D-Nice;

Quote:

Having different PCBs does not actually mean that these panels are driven differently. I would expect different PCBs in the ST because of technical operating requirements for a 1.6" panel depth on the GT/VT vs the 2"+ depth on the ST. Panel driving is much more software than it is hardware )

So, I think that CNET's source is just misinformed.
post #193 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

also can you please provide a link to that information ..

im curious about the source ..

thx ..

PCB are boards. They do not always dictate performance. Its like comparing an ATX motherboard to a Micro ATX motherboard.
post #194 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:

This is what was posted by a source who seems VERY well informed at another forum;

With this followup comment from D-Nice;

So, I think that CNET's source is just misinformed.

dnice follow up is irrelevant in determining the truth of the source ..

its only a comment ..

provide a link please ..

ty
post #195 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

dnice follow up is irrelevant in determining the truth of the source ..

its only a comment ..

provide a link please ..

ty

Can't link to other forums, it will get me in trouble. I will send you a PM.
post #196 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Can't link to other forums, it will get me in trouble. I will send you a PM.

oh ic ..

ir avs noob ofc

info comes from a march join date user .. and it doesnt say where he obtainted this info ..

i have my doubts tbh ..

information on the guts of a tv that hasnt even been released yet is some seriously privvy stuff ..
post #197 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

PCB are boards. They do not always dictate performance. Its like comparing an ATX motherboard to a Micro ATX motherboard.

Very true, especially if they are all using the same components with same performance intended.

Be interesting to see a schematic of the GT/VT 30.

However it is known the VT30 (and I assume GT30) do use a new video processing chip.

Without insider knowledge anyone at this point really has no idea what's on the display driving (DSP) chips. Could be older code == same performance.

But it's hard to think they haven't tweaked the code a bit in the past year.

-SiGGy
post #198 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 01:18 PM

I just saw an ST30 in Best Buy today and oh my goodness, YUCK!!! Everything was purple, dim, and the processing was unforgivable. I calibrate as well and I can tell you without a doubt that this TV looks awful. I put it in cinema mode, tried everything I could to make it look even average, but it sucked. VERY disappointing and scary as I was excited about the VT30.
post #199 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afxtwn View Post
I just saw an ST30 in Best Buy today and oh my goodness, YUCK!!! Everything was purple, dim, and the processing was unforgivable. I calibrate as well and I can tell you without a doubt that this TV looks awful. I put it in cinema mode, tried everything I could to make it look even average, but it sucked. VERY disappointing and scary as I was excited about the VT30.
But, we don't much about the VT30. The ST30 does not equal the GT30.
post #200 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 01:44 PM

Last years' S series looked better than this. That is what scares me.
post #201 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
How can that be possible? This is suppose to be a step up from the G25 since it's infinite black panel 2.

Also I'm going to ask one last time before I just give up. Any ETA on the 55"?
post #202 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm calling BS on this. The S2 had HORRIBLE picture quality, especially under the lights. Your impressions are contrary to others who have seen the ST30 under bright store lighting, which is said to perform very well and maintain its contrast slightly better than even the VT25.
post #203 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Prestige View Post
Yeah, I'm calling BS on this. The S2 had HORRIBLE picture quality, especially under the lights. Your impressions are contrary to others who have seen the ST30 under bright store lighting, which is said to perform very well and maintain its contrast slightly better than even the VT25.
Yeah, I'm lying because if I get all of you to believe me and not buy one, Samsung will give me a free flagship 2011 model. You got me man.
post #204 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 03:03 PM

I wonder if those who viewed it had it in cinema mode or Vivid? Heck even in Vivid it seemed a bit dim. And the processing is hideous. I noticed there are less dancing green dots (dithering), but up close, and honestly from a distance the details look splotchy and just awful. I truly can't see how anyone would even consider wasting their money on one of these. Not to mention everyone on the screen looks like Barny!!!
post #205 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I'm lying because if I get all of you to believe me and not buy one, Samsung will give me a free flagship 2011 model. You got me man.

Quote:

I wonder if those who viewed it had it in cinema mode or Vivid? Heck even in Vivid it seemed a bit dim. And the processing is hideous. I noticed there are less dancing green dots (dithering), but up close, and honestly from a distance the details look splotchy and just awful. I truly can't see how anyone would even consider wasting their money on one of these. Not to mention everyone on the screen looks like Barny!!!

learn to edit.
post #206 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Prestige View Post

Quote:

learn to edit.

Before you guys start calling someone a liar or other forms of disrespect. Go look at one for yourself. And if you cannot as your local stores does not have them, then try to refrain your comments.

All afxtwn was posting was an opinion of what he saw. No need to beat him up about it.
post #207 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutdotnet View Post

Before you guys start calling someone a liar or other forms of disrespect. Go look at one for yourself. And if you cannot as your local stores does not have them, then try to refrain your comments.

All afxtwn was posting was an opinion of what he saw. No need to beat him up about it.

the hell with that ..

im gonna form a lynch mob ..
post #208 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 08:50 PM

There was a new Samsung LED across from the ST30 that looked way better and I hate LED/LCD displays. It had a pretty much non existent bezel and was VERY thin but I did not get a model number. Seriously, the ST30 was so disappointing I can't see why Best Buy would put it on a feature display like it was. It should be hidden to the left wall (You know, where all the lower end TVs are kept) next to an Insignia LCD where at least it will look like it fits in. Harsh, but true.
post #209 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:

There was a new Samsung LED across from the ST30 that looked way better and I hate LED/LCD displays. It had a pretty much non existent bezel and was VERY thin but I did not get a model number. Seriously, the ST30 was so disappointing I can't see why Best Buy would put it on a feature display like it was. It should be hidden to the left wall (You know, where all the lower end TVs are kept) next to an Insignia LCD where at least it will look like it fits in. Harsh, but true.

of course under bright lighting any plasma will look bad, troll.
post #210 of 8449 Old 03-08-2011, 09:34 PM

Liked: 11
The new filter helps in bright rooms but its nowhere near as a good as the filter of a lcd display. Thats why a plasma looks bad in stores...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60st30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page