Why would I want wifi on my tv??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 03-05-2011, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered an LG 50PK750 and I was looking at LG's wifi USB dongle, but I can't imagine what I would use it for. Am I missing something? Is it just for streaming? That wouldn't be worth it IMO.

So what all can a wifi dongle do for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-05-2011, 01:25 AM

Liked: 18
Firmware updates, and if you care about "widgets" (Netflix, Pandora, Vudu, etc). If you do decide to buy one, check Amazon as they should have it for about half of the retail price.
post #3 of 34 Old 03-05-2011, 08:49 AM

To allow your TV to connect to the internet is the reason. That Tv can do Netflix, Vudu, YouTube, etc.

However if you can do ethernet that would be best.

Else, I recommend getting a wireless bridge with 4 ports so that all your devices can share and get on the net.

If you don't want to get on the net, you can update using a usb flash drive.
post #4 of 34 Old 03-05-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Streaming is the business.

I watch Netflix streaming these days more than anything else. It can't compete with the PQ of DVD or Blu of course, but since I don't purchase a ton of discs (only my favorites. In the long process of updating my collection to blu) stuff that I want to watch I get through Netflix. I stream it through my PS3 and I haven't missed cable ever since.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #5 of 34 Old 03-06-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

Streaming is the business.

I watch Netflix streaming these days more than anything else. It can't compete with the PQ of DVD or Blu of course, but since I don't purchase a ton of discs (only my favorites. In the long process of updating my collection to blu) stuff that I want to watch I get through Netflix. I stream it through my PS3 and I haven't missed cable ever since.

I use a ROKU player for Netflix,Amazon etc, it's wireless, 5:1 audio and HD video. I guess internet is being push as a value add for the consumer on flat screen TV's. But to pay more for the ability to apply firmware is not worth it with a SD card slot on the TV.

Life is no harder than you make it.
post #6 of 34 Old 03-06-2011, 10:26 AM

Everything but Netflix sucks
Even then my Xbox can do that. If they added a hulu or CBS app that's different
post #7 of 34 Old 03-06-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah it sounds like I will not be getting a wifi dongle. Netflix doesn't interest me.
post #8 of 34 Old 03-06-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Everything but Netflix sucks
Even then my Xbox can do that. If they added a hulu or CBS app that's different

Have you tried VUDU yet?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #9 of 34 Old 03-06-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyRadar View Post

To allow your TV to connect to the internet is the reason. That Tv can do Netflix, Vudu, YouTube, etc.

However if you can do ethernet that would be best.

Else, I recommend getting a wireless bridge with 4 ports so that all your devices can share and get on the net.

If you don't want to get on the net, you can update using a usb flash drive.

I realize what internet gets you on a TV, but my Blu-Ray has all those features as does my PS3 plus my Mac Mini. Why is it best to have a TV that does that, especially given the fact I would expect to replace my components more often then my display.
post #10 of 34 Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

The tv's will allow access to more applications than ur ps3/bluray player....wait why do u have a ps3 that plays blurays and a bluray player hooked up to the same tv? If u have a PC hooked up to ur tv then u r light years ahead of web enabled features on tv's. Pretty much the only value connecting ur tv to the web is for quick convenient firmware updates and the few extra apps you'll have access to.

post #11 of 34 Old 03-06-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

The tv's will allow access to more applications than ur ps3/bluray player....wait why do u have a ps3 that plays blurays and a bluray player hooked up to the same tv?

Because the PS3 sounds like a jet engine (it's the original version). I use it pretty much for games at this point.
post #12 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifevicarious View Post

Why is it best to have a TV that does that, especially given the fact I would expect to replace my components more often then my display.

Because the TV manufacturers are looking for quick 'n dirty features that they can add to their products to maybe get you to buy a new TV, and this is one of them.

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
See http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #13 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I like the idea of having a LAN connected tv because they usually have poor security and I absolutely love giving hackers a carte blanche into my network as well as the possibility to screw up my expensive display remotely.
post #14 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

The tv's will allow access to more applications than ur ps3/bluray player....wait why do u have a ps3 that plays blurays and a bluray player hooked up to the same tv? If u have a PC hooked up to ur tv then u r light years ahead of web enabled features on tv's. Pretty much the only value connecting ur tv to the web is for quick convenient firmware updates and the few extra apps you'll have access to.

I agree. However, since I don't have my PC hooked up to my TV, I download free movies and then play them using a flash drive on my Blu-Ray player. Works for me.

Ian

post #15 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Have you tried VUDU yet?

Ian

No.
post #16 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 01:50 PM

I would agree. Between Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, and Hulu Plus, I'm seriously thinking of cutting my cable to Internet only and saving $150 a month.
post #17 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

No.

Has the best HD and sound quality on the internet.

Ian

post #18 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddster25 View Post

I would agree. Between Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, and Hulu Plus, I'm seriously thinking of cutting my cable to Internet only and saving $150 a month.

Huh?!? Your cable alone is $150 a month?! That's insane, do you have every pay channel or something?
post #19 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 04:37 PM

Yeah I have every pay channel and I should have mentioned that that includes a land line phone which I never use.
post #20 of 34 Old 09-02-2012, 06:30 AM

I have a 802.11n Wi-Fi router and a Channel Master CM-7400 PVR which support Ethernet, 802.11n Wi-Fi, USB but no DLNA.
I am thinking of buying a new TV which support Ethernet, USB, DLNA but no Wi-Fi.
Is Wi-Fi important for TV?
post #21 of 34 Old 09-02-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertkao View Post

I have a 802.11n Wi-Fi router and a Channel Master CM-7400 PVR which support Ethernet, 802.11n Wi-Fi, USB but no DLNA.
I am thinking of buying a new TV which support Ethernet, USB, DLNA but no Wi-Fi.

An internet connection makes it easier to download firmware updates. And of course there is streaming (Netflix, etc). There is no advantage of WiFi over wired (actually, wired is generally better, as long as you have wired access available). Many want WiFi simply because they don't have wired in their viewing room.
post #22 of 34 Old 09-02-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertkao View Post

I don't think so unless you want to use the built-in apps. A lot of smart tv's that are WiFi capable also have an enet port so you get both. Personally I would never get a smart tv. It's just one more thing to break and, depending on your tv's mfr, updating the smart apps has caused considerable issues for some. I'd much rather use my BD player (which has WiFi), my AppleTV2, and my laptop to connect to the internet with my tv.
post #23 of 34 Old 09-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

.... Personally I would never get a smart tv. It's just one more thing to break and, depending on your tv's mfr, updating the smart apps has caused considerable issues for some. I'd much rather use my BD player (which has WiFi), my AppleTV2, and my laptop to connect to the internet with my tv.

While I agree with your preference for a non-tv internet connection (we have the choice in our main viewing area, and have the player connected, but not our ST50), cannot go along with the "never get a smart tv," if only because - to the best of my knowledge - ALL of the current HDTVs with the "best" PQ are also "Smart."

This seems a similar approach to "never buy a 3D tv": can appreciate the sentiment, but when it came down to The Decision, the best Price/Performance sets were also 3D sets, so that is what we ended up with....
post #24 of 34 Old 09-02-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think so unless you want to use the built-in apps. A lot of smart tv's that are WiFi capable also have an enet port so you get both. Personally I would never get a smart tv. It's just one more thing to break and, depending on your tv's mfr, updating the smart apps has caused considerable issues for some. I'd much rather use my BD player (which has WiFi), my AppleTV2, and my laptop to connect to the internet with my tv.

My Panasonci BD player is two years old and has the older Netflix interface. Now I'm adding a Roku streaming device. Besides the multitude of channels they offer, these type of devices are less likely to become obsolete since they continue to get updates for the latest firmware.

Ian

post #25 of 34 Old 09-02-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

While I agree with your preference for a non-tv internet connection (we have the choice in our main viewing area, and have the player connected, but not our ST50), cannot go along with the "never get a smart tv," if only because - to the best of my knowledge - ALL of the current HDTVs with the "best" PQ are also "Smart."
This seems a similar approach to "never buy a 3D tv": can appreciate the sentiment, but when it came down to The Decision, the best Price/Performance sets were also 3D sets, so that is what we ended up with....

Bingo best explanation yet and you could always look at it like this if you set the browser to your email page and you are expecting a confirmation its handy..
post #26 of 34 Old 09-02-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Bingo best explanation yet and you could always look at it like this if you set the browser to your email page and you are expecting a confirmation its handy..

But you're not necessarily buying a particular set because it's a smart TV, your buying that set because it meets YOUR needs.

Ian wink.gif

post #27 of 34 Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:

I understand that but I did qualify my statement by saying "personally, for me..." but if that sounded like a generic statement I probably could have made it a bit clearer. However, equating that to "never buy a 3D tv" is not correct. While I would not buy a 3D tv (not sold yet on the overall usefullness) my next set will probably be a 3D tv only because the panels are built more robustly than 2D panels because of the demands of 3D. And if I do go 3D, my blu-ray player is already 3D so I'm all set wink.gif Also, I doubt if there is any real hard evidence that the pq is better on smart sets vs dumb sets, especially on set made within the last two years or so. Once you calibrate a tv, the smart aspect has absolutely nothing to do with the pq. I don't believe in updating my tv just because there's an update available. I need to know if one, I'm going to get something that I didn't have before or two, it's going to fix a problem that I am experiencing. Otherwise I don't bother with them. Updates can always be applied via USB. I can certainly appreciate why some would want smart tvs, and that's fine. It just seems that a lot of the issues that people experience are after an update (too many things can go wrong during the process) and while they may work for some (or most) with no issues, I just don't want to take the chance. I agree with the poster about the Roku. Standalone boxes like Roku, AppleTV, etc are more apt to have a more robust interface, better chipsets, and more choices than what the tv mfr gives you. And, they are easier to replace should something go wrong. There's validity on both sides of the discussion (not argument).
post #28 of 34 Old 09-03-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree with the poster about the Roku. Standalone boxes like Roku, AppleTV, etc are more apt to have a more robust interface, better chipsets, and more choices than what the tv mfr gives you. And, they are easier to replace should something go wrong. There's validity on both sides of the discussion (not argument).

The problem I have with smart TV's or BD players is that they only receive firmware updates for about two years. I have a two year old high end BD player which is far from ancient, and due to the older interface which is outdated, I only have a handful of channels, no Dolby Digital audio from Amazon or Netflix and I don't even have the option to browse movies outside my Netflix cue. Doesn't seem too smart to me. rolleyes.gif These features are common even on the older outboard streamers, since they continue to be updated regularly.

Ian

post #29 of 34 Old 09-03-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
I've had a "smart" Sony for a year and a half. It requires a dongle for WiFi but has an ethernet port. I've never bothered with either and never updated the tv's firmware (it's working fine as is). I do Netflix via my PS3 primarily because for the subscription price they offer the most content I'm interested in. For recent/new release movies I'd rather have the pq/audio quality and special features of Blu Ray disc. If I wanted more choices than the PS3 offers I'd get a Roku box for the reasons others have stated. I'd also add that not only is a specialty box like this likely to work better than smart tv solutions it's also a lot cheaper to replace when it inevitably becomes obsolete.

Steve S.
post #30 of 34 Old 09-03-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

I've had a "smart" Sony for a year and a half. It requires a dongle for WiFi but has an ethernet port. I've never bothered with either and never updated the tv's firmware (it's working fine as is). I do Netflix via my PS3 primarily because for the subscription price they offer the most content I'm interested in. For recent/new release movies I'd rather have the pq/audio quality and special features of Blu Ray disc. If I wanted more choices than the PS3 offers I'd get a Roku box for the reasons others have stated. I'd also add that not only is a specialty box like this likely to work better than smart tv solutions it's also a lot cheaper to replace when it inevitably becomes obsolete.

I watch all the new block busters on BD, but there's a lot of independent films I like to see on Netflix and the PQ is pretty good for internet streaming. Sony TV? I always thought you were a plasma fan boy Steve! biggrin.gif

Ian

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List